• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It's December 6th in Japan today, which means Iwata would have been 56 today.

Have a nice birthday party, old man!

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
*starts game and the first cutscene has you eaten* THE END!

Also, how is Psychonauts 2 doing? I hope I don't live in a world where nice people like Lab Zero barely get enough funding whereas a scammer (Broken Age lol) gets full funding when asking more
I come from a camp that enjoys masochistic games like that. :laugh:

And here's Psyconauts 2: https://www.fig.co/campaigns/psychonauts-2

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
To be honest when we get to Smash 5, it'll be the first game in the series where I'm more interested in the veterans returning than the newcomers because Smash 4 newcomers are my favorite and I want to see them all come back in some form and the DLC veterans as well.

Newcomers are great but unless we get some new and crazy stuff from Nintendo, most characters will be mostly from Mario, Pokemon, Animal Crossing and Xenoblade for new fighters, Zelda and Metroid probably won't get anything new aside from maybe Linkle if she's a mainstay, Star Fox might get one but it depends on who's that character and this might be the first Smash game where we don't get a FE newcomer depending on the situation.

And as for new franchises, the most likely is Splatoon with Inklings or if they are DLC now, it'll be maybe the Octarians, Squid Sisters or someone else.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
What I want to know is how DLC characters will be included (if at all) in SSB5.

I want to continue to live in a world where Mario fights Ryu in Midgard.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I come from a camp that enjoys masochistic games like that. :laugh:

And here's Psyconauts 2: https://www.fig.co/campaigns/psychonauts-2
Jesus ****ing christ. If this somehow doesn't get enough funding, will people get the money back? Also, calling it right now, gamergate stuff in Psychonauts 2 and Schafer plans on keeping all the money for himself, while disappointing everyone who funded

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Jesus ****ing christ. If this somehow doesn't get enough funding, will people get the money back? Also, calling it right now, gamergate stuff in Psychonauts 2 and Schafer plans on keeping all the money for himself, while disappointing everyone who funded
I'm not sure...

With most of these things, the people do get their money back. But after Broken Age, I just hope Schafer can deliver a solid experience.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
*starts game and the first cutscene has you eaten* THE END!

Also, how is Psychonauts 2 doing? I hope I don't live in a world where nice people like Lab Zero barely get enough funding whereas a scammer (Broken Age lol) gets full funding when asking more
Nearly half way there. Shaefer is part of the vaguely cultist indie clique so I have no doubt that the game will be funded.

I enjoyed Psychonauts but Tim expended all my goodwill towards his money management skills. One has to wonder what financial genius they had back at Lucas Arts because if there were as wasteful with funds back then as they were now it's a wonder George didn't shut down the "not star wars and Indiana Jones games" section sooner than they did.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I just hope Schafer can deliver a solid experience.
MaskO' too good for this world. Too pure
Nearly half way there. Shaefer is part of the vaguely cultist indie clique so I have no doubt that the game will be funded.

I enjoyed Psychonauts but Tim expended all my goodwill towards his money management skills. One has to wonder what financial genius they had back at Lucas Arts because if there were as wasteful with funds back then as they were now it's a wonder George didn't shut down the "not star wars and Indiana Jones games" section sooner than they did.
Didn't he lose a lot of money because he REALLY wanted some of the most well known VAs? AKA the most expensive?

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I'm gonna be honest about Tim Schafer.

When Bobby Freaking Kotick said he was hard to work with and was a problem to deal with when he was working with Activision and had no problem in letting him go, there's something about him that you really shouldn't trust.

I get it, Secret of Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, all those other Point and Click games and Psychonauts are all fine and well loved games but should you really put your faith into a guy who screwed up Brutal Legends, brought out an underwhelming Broken Age game, make jokes about all the money he had, trying hard to go after GG at a event that wasn't necessary to do so and making a garbage joke with a sock puppet while at?

Probably not. And it's a shame how Croudfunding is seemingly looks like a scam to most people (including me) because of guys like Schafer

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The only thing I will say regarding Smash 5 is that if Captain Toad, Inklings, and Codename STEAM reps don't get into Smash 4 as DLC, then I think they are safe bets for the next game.
I'm happy someone else has an optimistic view of Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. getting a character in the future. We're a rare breed, sadly. :p

Honestly with hypothetical future Smash games, really the only newcomers I'd be actively supporting beyond "oh hey they'd be neat" would be the Inkling, Henry Fleming, and Chrom, as unlikely as that last one would be. Other than that it's just a matter of waiting to see if my favorites came back. :p

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'm going to go on my non-existent record here and say I dislike crowdfunding for games.

You'll get a few gems, but otherwise you're just investing in something you can only hope will be good. And that's based on a developer's past work, which can be subjective.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Smash 4's thing seemed to expanding the amount of franchises, especially with DLC in consideration

We got Animal Crossing, Wii Fit, Punch Out, Mega Man, Pac- Man, Duck Hunt, Xenoblade, Street Fighter and Final Fantasy, nearly as many franchises as the original.

I think for Smash 5 it will be the expanding of existing series like Melee did to the big three, Brawl did to the others and 4 did for Kid Icarus, Fire Emblem and Mario (again).

We gotta think of what characters are iconic to their own series. Like Dixie Kong and King K. Rool to Donkey Kong; Tom Nook and Isabelle to Animal Crossing; and, if we dare go there, expanding 3rd parties beyond one character.

Sonic, Street Fighter and Final Fantasy are full of playable characters, Mega Man has a lot of supporting characters with a lot of boss weapons to steal, Pac-Man may be a problem unless expanded to include all of Namco's arcade line-up.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm happy someone else has an optimistic view of Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. getting a character in the future. We're a rare breed, sadly. :p

Honestly with hypothetical future Smash games, really the only newcomers I'd be actively supporting beyond "oh hey they'd be neat" would be the Inkling, Henry Fleming, and Chrom, as unlikely as that last one would be. Other than that it's just a matter of waiting to see if my favorites came back. :p
I don't have STEAM yet but I played the demo a good bit and really liked it. I plan to pick it up eventually. However I just think a rep from that game is likely for Smash 5 because the characters have a unique gimmick and some cool moves that could work well in Smash, and also because it's a new series to represent. And it's not like it's some mini-game, it's a fully fleshed out title by the same people who made Fire Emblem. And I do think they will give the series another shot at some point anyway despite it having a rocky start, maybe in time for the next Smash.

As far as characters I'm rooting for in the next Smash, besides Captain Toad if he doesn't get in as DLC (I voted for him on the ballot), there aren't really any characters I seriously want out of my own sentimental feelings besides third parties. But I guess that could change between me getting into Xenoblade right now and eventually, Splatoon and STEAM.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Mega Man has multiple protagonists not too differently from the FE or FF series.

You have X, Zero, MegaMan.EXE, Volnutt, Geo Stelar, among others. Not to mention other popular characters such as Proto Man, Bass and Tron Bonne.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'd personally like 3rd parties to be represented by a single character. Ryu, Cloud, Mega Man, PAC-MAN, and Sonic are popular enough to represent Capcom, Square, Namco, and Sega respectively.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I don't have STEAM yet but I played the demo a good bit and really liked it. I plan to pick it up eventually. However I just think a rep from that game is likely for Smash 5 because the characters have a unique gimmick and some cool moves that could work well in Smash, and also because it's a new series to represent. And it's not like it's some mini-game, it's a fully fleshed out title by the same people who made Fire Emblem. And I do think they will give the series another shot at some point anyway despite it having a rocky start, maybe in time for the next Smash.

As far as characters I'm rooting for in the next Smash, besides Captain Toad if he doesn't get in as DLC (I voted for him on the ballot), there aren't really any characters I seriously want out of my own sentimental feelings besides third parties. But I guess that could change between me getting into Xenoblade right now and eventually, Splatoon and STEAM.
I'd definitely say it's worth picking up, especially since it's basically half price through Amazon, too. More like Code Name: S.T.E.A.L. amirite? :p

Honestly the thing everyone points to is the sales, but honestly...when has that really mattered? I admit it could be a case for, say, Henry Fleming not being DLC, since DLC needs to be bought separate, but for another game down the line? Not a problem at all.

For the record, Captain Toad is probably the only other Mario character barring maybe Waluigi (where does Sakurai stand on the whole Mario vs Wario character thing again? I vaguely remember Waluigi being listed in Wario's series in the April Direct) I can see being added down the line, so I think he's a good bet for next Smash at least, whenever that may be.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Waluigi needs a standalone game, then he'll probably get on Sakurai's magic list of "characters to add" or something like that.

THEN, it shall be Waluigi time.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I'm gonna be honest about Tim Schafer.

When Bobby Freaking Kotick said he was hard to work with and was a problem to deal with when he was working with Activision and had no problem in letting him go, there's something about him that you really shouldn't trust.

I get it, Secret of Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, all those other Point and Click games and Psychonauts are all fine and well loved games but should you really put your faith into a guy who screwed up Brutal Legends, brought out an underwhelming Broken Age game, make jokes about all the money he had, trying hard to go after GG at a event that wasn't necessary to do so and making a garbage joke with a sock puppet while at?

Probably not. And it's a shame how Croudfunding is seemingly looks like a scam to most people (including me) because of guys like Schafer
You forgot how he couldn't math when he tried to joke about GG

Crowdfunding has quite a few bad games. On one hand, Skullgirls, Shovel Knight, Halfgenie Hero, Indivisible, blablabla. On the other hand, Inafune, Time Schafer and Peter Molyneax

Y'know, I've been thinking. If we could change 1 thing about ourselves, what would it be? It can be anything, looks, behaviour, fame, fortune, health, blablabla

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hello everyone,

I'm back from the urgent care, sorry i didn't respond last night as when I got home I went straight to bed. I have some muscle strain and inflammation around my hips and my right knee. I haven't even been doing any strenuous exercise, which is odd. If anything I think very uncomfortable work chairs were the largest contributor. I should be ok, just gotta rest and take medicine and try to cut down on sodium in my diet. Which may be hard for work as the cheapest lunches to buy are chips. :c

But I'll be fine.

D

Deleted member

Hello everyone,

I'm back from the urgent care, sorry i didn't respond last night as when I got home I went straight to bed. I have some muscle strain and inflammation around my hips and my right knee. I haven't even been doing any strenuous exercise, which is odd. If anything I think very uncomfortable work chairs were the largest contributor. I should be ok, just gotta rest and take medicine and try to cut down on sodium in my diet. Which may be hard for work as the cheapest lunches to buy are chips. :c

But I'll be fine.
Well, hope you get better soon then :)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Hello everyone,

But I'll be fine.
I was going to joke about your hips attracting dem boiz but I felt bad. Hope you get much better, you're a nice gal

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Hello everyone,

But I'll be fine.
I'm glad you're okay at least! Just rest up and all that jazz. Hopefully this will pass sooner rather than later.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
You forgot how he couldn't math when he tried to joke about GG

Crowdfunding has quite a few bad games. On one hand, Skullgirls, Shovel Knight, Halfgenie Hero, Indivisible, blablabla. On the other hand, Inafune, Time Schafer and Peter Molyneax

Y'know, I've been thinking. If we could change 1 thing about ourselves, what would it be? It can be anything, looks, behaviour, fame, fortune, health, blablabla
I'd gain the ability to recognize when I've done my best, and to be satisfied with it.

I must learn to differentiate laziness from limits.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Another good game to come from crowdfunding is Freedom Planet. Sure the story cutscenes are as poorly paced as a Metal Gear game but it's still the best Sonic game in years.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Gee I wonder what you'd want...
:troll:

Anyway I'd probably just want to be a more social person in general. Like actually being able to hold decent talks about things to my friends and all that.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Same people hating on Psyconaughts 2 crowdfunding I remember throwing their money at Yooka-Laylee 6 months ago lmfao

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Same people hating on Psyconaughts 2 crowdfunding I remember throwing their money at Yooka-Laylee 6 months ago lmfao
That's because Playtonic not only A: Had footage, but also because B: They would make the game regardless if they got the funding or not, but mostly C: Because Tim Schafer's previous crowdfunding had him not only fail to deliver, but also had him constantly go 'LOOK AT ALL THE MONEY I'VE GOT HAHAHAHAAAAAA'

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
It's less about the game and crowdfunding it and more of the person behind it (That's what I'm getting out of it anyway). We don't know how the ex-Rare developers will handle Yooka Laylee, and from what it looks like, the game seems pretty fun (developers also seem like they care for the project). I almost feel like Tim Shafter is becoming to reliant on crowdfunding for his games tbh. I know he doesn't have a big studio, but I almost feel like it comes off as "Its a classic game that people will remember, they'll easily fund it!"

I'll keep a track on Psychonauts 2, but I'd be pretty cautious that it is crowdfunded. That's the problem with these type of games. If you don't live up to expectations, then it will leave a bad mark that you ripped off people.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom