• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I want to ask some questions, just for curiosity:

1-¿How do you feel about having 3rd party charcters in Smash?

2-Now, imagine for a second that we are in 2006, right before they show the trailer for Brawl. There's only 2 games and they only have Nintendo characters. If some person came and told you that he/she wants a Non-Nintendo character in Super Smash Bros Brawl (like say, Mega Man or Sonic, or even Cloud Strife), how would you react to that?

3-Now, imagine for a moment that you are making the new Smash game, and we live in a world withouth 3rd parties in the Smash roster, but a 3rd party shows up (any 3rd party company you want) company proposes you an offer: having their character(s) in the Smash (imagine any 3rd party that you or other people desperatley want in Smash) ¿Would you accept the offer?

4-If ALL 3rd party characters got cut (along with al the 3rd party content althogether) ¿How would you feel?

5-Regardless of your opinion of 3rd parties in Smash, ask yourself something. ¿Is there any shortcomings to having them in Smash?

6-and just for giggles, ¿Which 3rd party character would you like to see playable in Smash and why? It can be any game character. (Sora, Ryu Hayabusa or even a Tetris piece).

You can answer these questions as detailed and deep as you want.

Last edited by a moderator:

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin

2-Now, imagine for a second that we are in 2006, right before they show the trailer for Brawl. There's only 2 games and they only have Nintendo characters. If some person came and told you that he/she wants a Non-Nintendo character in Smash (like say, Mega Man or Sonic, or even Cloud Strife), how would you react to that?

3-Now, imagine for a moment that you are making the new Smash game, and we live in a world withouth 3rd parties in the Smash roster, but a 3rd party shows up (any 3rd party company you want) company proposes you an offer: having their character(s) in the Smash (imagine any 3rd party that you or other people desperatley want in Smash) ¿Would you accept the offer?

4-If ALL 3rd party characters got cut (along with al the 3rd party content althogether) ¿How would you feel?

5-Regardless of your opinion of 3rd parties in Smash, ask yourself something. ¿Is there any shortcomings to having them in Smash?

6-and just for giggles, ¿Which 3rd party character would you like in Smash? It can be any game character. (Sora, Ryu Hayabusa or even a Tetris piece)

1.) FREAKING AMAZING. Having all these characters in one game at the same time is a huge childhood dream come true. It doesn't get better than that.

2.) I would say there is always a possibility for that.

3.) Yes I would.

4.) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s)

5.) Um... maybe the fact that it isn't so Nintendo focused anymore. Other than that, in my opinion, the benefits of having them are way greater than the shortcomings.

6.) Mainly Shovel Knight. He's grown on me as a character ever since the rumor and I like his game quite a lot.

Awesome
2-Now, imagine for a second that we are in 2006, right before they show the trailer for Brawl. There's only 2 games and they only have Nintendo characters. If some person came and told you that he/she wants a Non-Nintendo character in Super Smash Bros Brawl (like say, Mega Man or Sonic, or even Cloud Strife), how would you react to that?
I wanted all kinds of carzy character back then when I was 9 so. . .
110%

They take work from other potential things. I guess?
6-and just for giggles, ¿Which 3rd party character would you like to see playable in Smash and why? It can be any game character. (Sora, Ryu Hayabusa or even a Tetris piece).
I have like 7 but my top 3 are Edea Lee, Phoenix Wright, and Sora

Sora would probably the one I would be the most excited for.

Burruni

Smash Hero

2-Now, imagine for a second that we are in 2006, right before they show the trailer for Brawl. There's only 2 games and they only have Nintendo characters. If some person came and told you that he/she wants a Non-Nintendo character in Smash (like say, Mega Man or Sonic, or even Cloud Strife), how would you react to that?

6-and just for giggles, ¿Which 3rd party character would you like in Smash? It can be any game character. (Sora, Ryu Hayabusa or even a Tetris piece)

Gonna just spoiler this because it'll become a bit of a wall of text.

1: It's a bit of a touchy subject. While Smash started as a clash of Nintendo All-Stars, part of that comes from the basis that... not all the all-star moments and games from Nintendo are 1st Party Titles. It's.. really come to a case by case thing. :snake: still feels entirely out of place with the cast. :sonic: was just such a dream come true and a massive thing for the first real console war now able to actually be fought out between the two big mascots. :4megaman: almost as big as Sonic and done beautifully as an incarnation of how he should play (even if it doesn't do well IN smash). :4pacman: is :4pacman: for god's sake. He just kinda gets an honorary seat for being one of the forefathers of gaming if NOTHING else. :4ryu: is a bit odd, but works too damn well to complain. :4cloud:an extention of that. :4bayonetta: is something I still feel shakey of despite being such a big fan of her games. It's something I've come to welcome and appreciate. Hell, it's made some wild dreams come true. It's just that there's a level of tension with third party additions that isn't going to change any time soon.

2: It'd depend on the character. If you said Megaman I'd be excited, thinking of him as just a part of Nintendo. Sonic'd be "that'd be AMAZING but it'll never happen." And I'd laugh at the thought of Cloud.

3: I'd try to push for it because dammit fandom pandering is what this series was built upon and it'd be the ultimate way to keep Smash's roster as a damn mystery box that nobody can predict right.

4: Really upset. If for no other reason than Sonic's become such a major part OF Smash now as a two-time veteran and he's been as major to Nintendo as of late as a fair number of the 1st party series already in.

5: Yes. The amount of extra cost and negotiations behind them. It's a sizable cost for the business and I feel that part of that lead to how tight crunched the DLC work was with making three third party newcomers.

6: Phoenix Wright, Agumon, Dr. Robotnik and Shantae are my big 4 standing.

Last edited:

Bananija

Count of Trickery

1. I think it's great! It bring possibilities and opportunities for the roster to expand itself.

2. I wouldn't really understand because at the time I knew only a few things about Nintendo.

3. Of course!

4. Confuse, sad, disappointed. It makes no real sense to cut them all.

5. Less focus on Nintendo characters and franchise (still waiting for some of them)

6. Rayman.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

1.) I think it's great, not only does it expands Smash's audience, it also gives the roster a lot of variety.

2.) I'd tell them "that would be cool, but I wouldn't get your hopes up, this is a Nintendo fighting game, after all."

3.) It would depend on the company and character. If it was SEGA or Capcom asking for Sonic or Mega Man, I would say yes in a heartbeat.

4.) Sad, I feel third party characters are such a big part of Smash now, that removing them would be a major
downgrade.

5.) Possibly, despite feeling that third party characters are a big part of Smash, it is a Nintendo game at its heart.

6.) Rayman, so I can have my three favorite video game characters of all-time fight each other (Sonic, Mario, and Rayman)

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

1-I like the idea, was hyped as **** when Cloud was revealed and he's a character I wanted in Smash for years, not to mention I like franchises outside of Nintendo as is the case for many other Smash fans...

2-I mean I wanted characters like Cloud and Crash Bandicoot since I played melee so, that's cool...

3-Tough to say, it would depend on the company and character proposal...Sonic for example was a heavily demanded character after Melee, especially with the whole 20 KO's in Cruel Melee rumours and all, and of course characters like Cloud, well you saw how things went last November...

4-RIP third main :'(

5-It definitely opened the doors to more possibilities, but as a result smash becomes less about Nintendo and more about gaming as a whole...which I guess is ok, but too many does kinda ruin the purpose of a Nintenod All-star game...

6-Crash Bandicoot, Tifa, Lara Croft, Banjo & Kazooie...pretty much my top picks for third parties atm...

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904

1. I think it's just fine. A third party character is half of what got me curious about how Smash 4 would pan out, after all.

2. I wasn't even aware Smash existed at the time, so I don't have any meaningful input.

3. With the knowledge of this timeline I would. I have no idea what judgement I would make if I didn't know about third parties in Smash already, though. On one hand the precedent for purism would be far greater, but on the other hand the lack of third parties likely would have resulted in the roster stagnating even harder than it already has in terms of fan appeal.

4. Salty as HELL.

5. Considering people were clearly asking for insane things before third parties were added, the only shortcoming is the immensely bitter people that complain that the newer games are ruined for having third parties in them. Overall the benefits outweigh the shortcomings by a wide margin.

Tails

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
1- Well, I main the DLC third parties and Snake, so...
Having all these characters that I love from all across gaming is awesome. I'm a huge sucker for crossovers.

2- In 2006 I don't think I'd ever played a Smash game. Skipping this question.

3- If I could add only one third party it would probably be Megaman. He's associated with Nintendo a lot, has plenty of moveset potential, etc. Pacman would be close in the running, as would Sonic and Ryu as they're very iconic (or, have history with Nintendo, in Sonic's case).

4-DEFCON Armageddon.

5-Hmm... I'm going to agree with epicmartin7 epicmartin7 on this one. I don't really have a unique perspective on this.

6-That's a loaded question.
Excluding the re-introduction of Snake, my totally unrealistic, unordered wishlist is Strider, another FF character (unsure of what I want), Morrigan, Amaterasu, Chun-Li, Raiden, Banjo, Shovel Knight, Lara Croft, Dante, Viewtiful Joe/Wonder Red, Phoenix Wright, Simon Belmont, Bomberman, Rayman, Isaac from TBoI, Red from Transistor (the indie rep I really want), and a player character from the Souls series (no, those last two aren't jokes).

I'd only really want a handful of these characters in reality, too much is really oversaturation (especially considering quite a few of these franchises are dead, lol). If I had to pick just one it would probably be Dante, but he has no chance, sadly. /shrug

When's Nintendo vs Capcom?

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend

1: I'm pretty okay and great with it.
2: I'd be okay with them expressing their opinion. I wouldn't expect them to happen, but I wouldn't try to put people down who want them.
3: Yes.
4: Very sad. Nothing else needed to be said.
5: There isn't really any shortcomings to more 3rd Party characters, but I wouldn't exactly want just as many 3rd Party characters as there are Nintendo characters.
6: Professor Layton. Cause honestly, I didn't know he was 3rd Party until people were pointing out that Layton is owned by Level-5 rather than Nintendo. He's practically got all the stuff that would make him a Nintendo All-Star.
I'm mostly saying Layton only cause honestly, there are too many 3rd Party characters that I want to count.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

1-It's cool, I guess, but Mega Man is something else entirely

2-"Yeah, and Goku is going to be one of them"

3-Depends on the character

4-Rip Mega Man and Cloud, who cares about the others tho lol

5-It's not purely a Nintendo crossover anymore

6-Crono because CT is my favorite game. Also, because katanas, we don't have those. Also also, CT music

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
1: I feel like they're a welcome addition to Smash Bros, thanks to their impact on the players and what they're bringing with them to Smash Bros.

2: If before the screening, I probably would have taken a pause to think who I wanted that wasn't from a major Nintendo franchise. If it were 2006, I might have said someone like Rayman, Sonic or Cloud.

3: If I were making Smash Bros, and we all see merits to their inclusion, I would take up the offer wholeheartedly, especially if it's someone that I thought was cool at the time. I probably would have picked someone from Final Fantasy personally.

4: Why must you do this to me?! Our dream fights beyond restraints, gone... Bayonetta VS Cloud, Cloud VS Jigglypuff...!

5: I don't think there should be any downside to including a third party character in Smash Bros, especially if they are known within the gaming universe. With third parties, you can break the traditional boundaries that you thought were there, such as say Mega Man and Cloud Strife in the same game, and also make the fans of these characters have a dream come true, to see one of their favourite game characters fighting against some of the iconic characters of Nintendo.

6: So far, my most wanted third parties include Phoenix Wright. He'd probably be my first pick.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
Wait **** I forgot one character.

The Chief.

Man I miss out on... a little bit because I never really followed the Xbox line. I actually think Halo is really cool but I'm not buying a console solely for it.

Edit: Also Heihachi and Crash... urgh, I'm so forgetful sometimes.

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
Any way to scan a QR code for your user Mii?

Ugh, I'm dumb; disregard.

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004

1) I absolutely love having them in Smash.

2) I would tell them, "That's pretty cool. I got some non-Nintendo characters that I'd love to see too." If they mentioned Sonic or Megaman at the time, I would've been like, "Yo, you want them too! Glad I'm not the only one." Of course, I would also tell them, "Just remember this is only a game featuring Nintendo all-stars, so we still can't put our hopes up that high.

3) It mainly comes down to the company and the character. If Capcom approached me about adding Megaman or Ryu, Sega with Sonic, or Level 5 with Professor Layton, I would say, "Of course!"

4) My reaction, to quote Takumi from Fates, would be, "Are you kidding me?" in a rather angered fashion (I would post a picture of him saying it, but I can't find it online).

5) On one hand, having third parties in Smash is pretty cool considering it makes the Smash games a bit more representative of the entire video game industry, but on the other hand, it does steer a bit away from the Nintendo all-star game it is meant to be, but to be honest, I still think we got a good number of first parties yet to be added, so as long as the number of Nintendo characters remains a much larger proportion to the third parties I'd be alright with it.

6) Professor Layton easily stands at the top, and he has been my most wanted since the Smash 4 days. Black Mage is the following third party that I'd like to see the most, but my want meter for him is nowhere as high as Layton's. Other third parties I'd love to see are Jin Kazama from Tekken, Ragna the Bloodedge from BlazBlue, and Noel Vermillion, also from BlazBlue.

D

Deleted member

So just for nostalgia's sake, i decided to read this thread, and i found this little gem:

APC99 said:
There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

This is a place where the trailer reveals Dr. Kawashima and Pichu. Roy is a stage hazard on Pyrosphere. Meta Knight and Wario switch movesets. Mewtwo is an item, and Ridley is Ness' new recovery. Nothing makes sense any more.
Remember when people went absolutely beserk with the Rayman trophy back in July of 2014? Good times........

D

Deleted member

1. Smash already features many of my favorite Nintendo characters, and the addition of some of my favorite third parties such as Snake, Sonic, and Mega Man is like a delicious cherry on top of an already delicious cake.

2. "It would be neat if it happened, but I don't think it will," I would have probably said back then.

3. Yes. Even if I'm not a fan of the character, I know other people are.

4. Admittedly, Smash would start to feel empty, but then I might get used to it.

5. Not really. I've come to accept that Smash is no longer just a celebration of Nintendo, but gaming as a whole.

6. I could list many third party characters that have yet to be playable in Smash, but I'll just narrow it down to Simon Belmont and Crash Bandicoot. Both of these characters' potential movesets sound like fun and I'd be delighted to see their respective franchises represented in Smash.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

1. It's a great thing. The notable 1st party characters are getting lesser at time goes on and Smash alone won't be able to survive purely on Nintendo nostalgia. The world has changed. It was cool for the first two games, but things like Snake and Sonic made the game that much better(balance aside).

2. I'd be a bit surprised by Cloud, since I'd rather have Nintendo-associated 3rd parties, but I'd still enjoy him.

3. I would. I love the idea of having fun and unique characters. The fact that Melee could've had Snake and Sonic would've been great.

4. Terrible. It'd ruin a great series and would kill many sales. Many flock to the series for the combination of having multiple series in it, 3rd party or otherwise. I don't think Brawl would sell nearly as well without Sonic or Snake, due to having tons of huge balance issues, some serious problems in the single player modes, and a ton of poor stages. 3rd parties was a major factor in its popularity(besides having a great roster in general).

5. At worst, we don't get all the 1st/2nd party characters of interest. But that's okay. They're not everything, and there's tons of assist characters, stages, items, and trophies(sometimes stickers) to show off tons of series. I find that the representation in general is pretty good, even if some series is a little lacking(DK definitely feels that. Metroid has a crapload of stuff, especially in 4, and feels pretty good. Even if missing Ridley, imo. But at least he shows up as a major boss or a powerful stage hazard)

6. Brian from Quest 64. While we have magic users, none of them are a staff-wielding variant. Palutena kind of does it, but she isn't using magic so much as her goddess powers. Likewise, he's about the 4 basic elements(Earth, Fire, Wind, Water), which no character really represents(Corrin is... slightly closer than anyone, possibly, to this).

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
  1. It's cool having third-parties. Putting them in opens the box and makes things less limited. It provides an opportunity for non-Nintendo characters still important to the company to get in. It also freely lets us support our favorite characters who aren't Nintendo.
  2. I'd tell them it's for Nintendo characters only.
  3. Nope.
  4. Not too bad. There aren't any third-parties I like enough to be devastated by if the character got cut. Not even Mega Man, who I enjoy playing as a lot.
  5. They take slots away from first-parties. We might have Rool and Dee if we didn't have Pac-Man and Mega Man. The vast majority of people support more first- than third-parties, meaning we'd have greater chances of getting some of our most wanteds. Putting in third-parties might have ruined the game for some Nintendo fans.
  6. My most wanted, Maxwell (Scribblenauts), is a third-party. I'm one of few people who support him, Cream & Cheese, or Morrigan (Darkstalkers). I also want Scorpion, Snake, and Phoenix Wright.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815

1. It adds a lot of variety to the cast, so barring very specific cases, I welcome them.

2. That'd be interesting.

3. Provided this third party falls within truly iconic parameters and isn't a hassle to include, sure.

4. That'd be terrible. Smash would lose a significant part of it's luster. Because you cannot claim in any other official media that Pac-Man is beating up Cloud Strife in Midgar.

5. Not really provided they don't go overboard.

6. Gimme Rayman. I like Rayman.

D

Deleted member

Answering my own questions:

1-It's honestly great in every single way possible. You see, im a big sucker for crossovers, wheter be a small cameo, a guest appereance or a massive clash between universes.

2-I was like.....less than 10 years old at that time so i don't i think i could answer that question. Tough if i had the mind and age i have now, i would say "Yeah sure, it would be interesing but im not seeing it happening".

3-Yes.

4-When i made this question, i referred to all 3rd party content (stages, music, trophies) getting removed, period. Nedless to say, a change like this may actually make me lost interest in the series as by a large margin (though i may get over it, depending on the circumstances).

5-The negotiatons have to be a pain i assume, and there's also the fact that the state of the companies and their relationships with Nintendo may change in the future (im looking at you Konami), so the chances of them getting cut could change at any given time.

6-Oh boy........

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN (& Knuckles), THIS IS SPEEDWAGON'S TOP 10 3RD-PARTY CHARACTERS FOR SMASH!

10-Zero (Mega Man X/Zero)
9-Geno (Super Mario RPG)
8-Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
7-Alucard (did i mention i like Castlevania?)
6-Banjo-Kazooie
5-Conker
4-Crash Bandicoot
3-Bomberman
2-Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
1-SIMON BELMONT FROM CASTLEVANIA (Shameless plug i know)

Honorable mentions go to Snake, Firebrand from Gargoyle's Quest and Crono from Chrono Trigger.

Of course, there's no way in hell that all of them make it in (heck, i would be surprised if even ONE of them made it in), but it's still nice to dream.

D

Deleted member

You know, sometimes i wish that the Gamecube adapter worked with other Wii U games.

Like, i don't know, how about Wind Waker HD or Twilight Princess HD?

D

Deleted member

You know, sometimes i wish that the Gamecube adapter worked with other Wii U games.

Like, i don't know, how about Wind Waker HD or Twilight Princess HD?
Or even Wii games with GameCube controller support. The adapter doesn't even work with those.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Or even Wii games with GameCube controller support. The adapter doesn't even work with those.
That's because the Wii U GameCube Adapter wasn't created in a way where it can be used with any game by default. The actual Wii U doesn't recognize it as the a specific controller option. It's the game itself that does. Every game has to be programmed to accept the Adapter. It's really dumb, but that's what it is.

It means every single game has to get DLC to work with the Adapter. They really didn't work this plan out well, like, at all. But it's also due to how badly the Wii U was programmed, as it doesn't inherently use Gamecube controllers as an option. :/

D

Deleted member

Regarding Nintendo taking ROMs off that website:

If any site is actually making money off playing ROMs via Emulators, that is definitely illegal and I'd be with Nintendo in that regard or any company. I wouldn't want people making money off what I own the rights to while making the content free for everyone else. I don't mind that people use ROMs or use ROM hacks as I find ROM hacks pretty cool myself, but making a profit off them is not right. If you want to profit off a game, make something original that you created and not what someone else created.

Regarding ROM hacks, it doesn't matter how much you change it, as long as you're using mechanics from a game that game isn't yours it's still not yours. It would be similar to tracing a drawing, but then, changing the features a bit. That drawing is still a trace of someone else's drawing at the end of the day.

You can edit Unreal Engine 3 as much as you want, but it's still not your engine.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

If any site is actually making money off playing ROMs via Emulators, that is definitely illegal and I'd be with Nintendo in that regard or any company. I wouldn't want people making money off what I own the rights to while making the content free for everyone else. I don't mind that people use ROMs or use ROM hacks as I find ROM hacks pretty cool myself, but making a profit off them is not right. If you want to profit off a game, make something original that you created and not what someone else created.

Regarding ROM hacks, it doesn't matter how much you change it, as long as you're using mechanics from a game that game isn't yours it's still not yours. It would be similar to tracing a drawing, but then, changing the features a bit. That drawing is still a trace of someone else's drawing at the end of the day.

You can edit Unreal Engine 3 as much as you want, but it's still not your engine.
As a person working on a hack, I couldn't agree more with this. I'm remaking Ruby/Sapphire into a Quest 64-based game. This is purely for fun. If I did own the Quest franchise, I'd gladly remake it in a new way, sure, and make money off of that, but I don't. Therefore, a fun hack is all that I will do, and won't cause legal trouble for anyone.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

This'll be fun

1. Third parties are amazing. Mario, Sonic, Cloud, Ryu and Pac-Man in the same game? Yes please.

2. I'd agree depending on the character.

3. Most likely. Depends on character. I'd end up rejecting characters like Banjo, Jibanyan or Geno however because I don't see them as big deals currently. I'd be picking the big ones like Sonic and Cloud first and foremost.

4. I wouldn't even buy the game. Third parties would leave too big of a hole in the game and I hardly play Smash presently.

5. Not many shortcomings outside of small timers & has-beens and there possibly being "too many" (as in more than there are Nintendo characters).

6. Chosen Undead, Dante, Nightmare, Kefka, Ezio and Crash come to mind without getting into exclusives like Master Chief or the missing veteran that is Snake because Konami is Konami. But there's so many I want that it'd take a while to list them.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004

Agreed.

I did check to see if any Nintendo published games still existed after the nearly 2,200 ROM's got removed. Of course, there were games that wasn't originally Nintendo property or licensing issues. But I found some that I'm surprised still being there (unless there's some license issue I'm not aware of):

Baseball (NES)
Custom Robo (N64)
Custom Robo V2 (N64)
Devil World (NES)
Drill Dozer (GBA)
Famicom Tantei Kurabu - Kieta Koukeisha (FC)
Famicom Tantei Kurabu Part II - Ushiro ni Tatsu Shoujo (FC)
Fire Emblem: Ankoku Ryu to Hikari no Tsurugi (FC)
Gyromite (NES)
Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru (GB)
Kurukuru Kururin (GBA)
Kururin Paradice (GBA)
Magical Vacation (GBA)
Marvelous - Mouhitotsu no Takarajima (SFC)
Mole Mania (GB)
Ougon no Taiyou - Ushinawareshi Tok (Golden Sun: The Lost Age) (GBA)
Pro Wrestling (NES)
Radar Mission (GB)
Rhythm Tengoku (GBA)
Soccer (NES)
Stack-Up (NES)
Sutte Hakkun (SFC)
X (GB)

Slip up?

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
So just for nostalgia's sake, i decided to read this thread, and i found this little gem:

Remember when people went absolutely beserk with the Rayman trophy back in July of 2014? Good times........
Ah, that time.

1. Gematsu just killed speculation in general. Not because no one wanted to speculate, but because every time someone so much as wanted to suggest that there might characters outside of Gematsu, a Gematsu supporter would instantly be on them to tell them they were wrong.

2. The majority of people there that weren't Gematsu supporters were desperately clinging to Ridley, and it's honestly kind of painful to watch in retrospect. I just hope for their sake that they had enough of a presence on the Ballot to rank high, because I kind of feel bad for them. . .

3. An awful lot of people have this very toxic view of characters, where all veterans and newcomers are "with them or against them," and that any character that the person doesn't specifically ask for is a sin against humanity. I can even see hints of this attitude in how people are responding to the third party questions. If you ask me, this is an awful lot of what is wrong with speculation, and it also made the Gematsu situation that much worse, because the constant shutting down of speculation took away any hope for more "with us" options. With that gone, the fandom just went with what their unhealthy attitude figured was left. This is also why the slots issue is so toxic. Because every single person is sitting there, counting up every single slot on their chart, and every time one isn't exactly what they asked for, they see it as a personal attack on them for not being what THEY wanted.

I'm not saying the roster we got was the most ideal, but with how toxic people get when they don't get what they want and how split people's opinions are on what it is they DO want most of the time (It was about as far from unanimous as possible for most characters when the roster was decided. The closest that the fandom EVER got to agreeing on anything at that point was Mewtwo and Mega Man), is it any wonder that Sakurai might decide to disregard the fandom in many instances? It's not like they didn't try to throw the fandom a bone in many cases, either, but it's a product seller's duty to cater to everyone, and most requests either had too few supporters compared to the total size of the unholy mob or had some kind of underlying issue.

And yes, many top requests have underlying issues. No one uses or makes fan works of DK characters unless it's in the context of the Original 12 for DK or competitive play for Diddy, and DK and Diddy were literally the two bottom characters on a publicly voted "tier list" that more competitive people pointed out was essentially a popularity contest. No one cares about the DK characters we have now, so Nintendo has no reason to think there would be a market for more even if they "deserve" the place more. In contrast, Fire Emblem characters got absurd amounts of fan works made about them at every turn, and people express far greater interest in playing as them for reasons other than nostalgia or going with the tier lists.

In other words, actions spoke louder than words, and the message was that Fire Emblem is more important to this fandom than DK.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
the dream ammount of dlc for pokken(for me)
characters-10
Greninja(speed), Tyranitar(power), Lopunny(balance), Scizor(technique), Dewott(balance)
Goodra(power), Breloom(technique), Hitmontop(balance) Virizion (technique), Serperior (speed)
support sets-7
Hitmonchan&Hitmonlee, Zangoose&Seviper, Squirtle&Ivysaur, Pichu&Jigglypuff
Dialga&Raikou, Deoxys&Celebi, Diggersby&Flygon
Stages-5
Tellur Forest, Neos Powerplant, Phos Desert, Old Ferrum Lighthouse, Old Ferrum lighthouse(night)

so ya i had a bit of time to think this over

D

Deleted member

3. An awful lot of people have this very toxic view of characters, where all veterans and newcomers are "with them or against them," and that any character that the person doesn't specifically ask for is a sin against humanity. I can even see hints of this attitude in how people are responding to the third party questions. If you ask me, this is an awful lot of what is wrong with speculation, and it also made the Gematsu situation that much worse, because the constant shutting down of speculation took away any hope for more "with us" options. With that gone, the fandom just went with what their unhealthy attitude figured was left. This is also why the slots issue is so toxic. Because every single person is sitting there, counting up every single slot on their chart, and every time one isn't exactly what they asked for, they see it as a personal attack on them for not being what THEY wanted.
This, pretty much.

For me, the lack of civilized opinions is a big problem, i see a lot of people that either have an undiying love for a charcter in unhealthy levels, or a person who despises a character's guts so much that they use it as a personal "punching bag" because they can't accept the fact that said character is in the game, (and how about when they talk about cutting that "character" every chance they get to talk about it)

I understand people have different views and different ways to express themselves, but some people are absolute jerkasses when it comes to say which characters they dislike, yet they will hopelessly defend characters they love beign critiziced, saying things like "You are just an ungrateful jerk who is salty about your characters not making it in", even though they were just beign super agressive about the characters THEY dislike.

Also about FE, i feel a lot of people exageratte Corrin's supposed "backslash", since i remember people beign absolute animals back when Roy and Ryu's victory sound files were leaked back in April of 2015. Just look at the comments in this, and come back to talk when you read the ridicolous amounts of anger (yes, anger, not salt, outright anger) that said comments contain. Roy is one thing, but you will be surprised at how much anger there was on Ryu.

Then again, those people are most likely just the vocal minority, and they shouldn't be listened in most cases. I know people out there that dislike these characters and they aren't jerks about it. It's okay to dislike things, but sometimes, the way you express yourself can make a big difference.

I could go on and on about this, but i rather leave it here, because of whenever i talk about this topic, i start to feel a little sad, to be honest.

Im not calling anyobdy here in particular (so if someone here thinks this is a personal attack, don't think so), since i feel i had (and maybe still have) some of these problems as well.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I never noticed this when I played Twilight Princess on Wii as a teenager, but the fortune telling lady in Hyrule Castle Town holds a funny little secret in her chant, whenever you ask her to tell her your "Love" fortune (which shows you the location of a Piece of Heart).

It looks like jibberish at first, but...

Read it backwards.

It says "...Wait ...loading takes awhile".

When you ask for a Love fortune and you are being shown the location of a Piece of Heart, it isn't just a picture, it actually loads up that area in the game and shows it from a specific camera angle. You can even see enemies and what not still moving around.

So I thought this was a funny little joke poking fun at how her unskippable chant is essentially a loading screen.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
This, pretty much.

For me, the lack of civilized opinions is a big problem, i see a lot of people that either have an undiying love for a charcter in unhealthy levels, or a person who despises a character's guts so much that they use it as a personal "punching bag" because they can't accept the fact that said character is in the game, (and how about when they talk about cutting that "character" every chance they get to talk about it)

I understand people have different views and different ways to express themselves, but some people are absolute jerkasses when it comes to say which characters they dislike, yet they will hopelessly defend characters they love beign critiziced, saying things like "You are just an ungrateful jerk who is salty about your characters not making it in", even though they were just beign super agressive about the characters THEY dislike.

Also about FE, i feel a lot of people exageratte Corrin's supposed "backslash", since i remember people beign absolute animals back when Roy and Ryu's victory sound files were leaked back in April of 2015. Just look at the comments in this, and come back to talk when you read the ridicolous amounts of anger (yes, anger, not salt, outright anger) that said comments contain. Roy is one thing, but you will be surprised at how much anger there was on Ryu.

Then again, those people are most likely just the vocal minority, and they shouldn't be listened in most cases. I know people out there that dislike these characters and they aren't jerks about it. It's okay to dislike things, but sometimes, the way you express yourself can make a big difference.

I could go on and on about this, but i rather leave it here, because of whenever i talk about this topic, i start to feel a little sad, to be honest.

Im not calling anyobdy here in particular (so if someone here thinks this is a personal attack, don't think so), since i feel i had (and maybe still have) some of these problems as well.
(Don't feel obligated to respond if you don't want to stress yourself out with the topic. I'm just commenting on my thought process reading a bit of it.)

*reads a few pages*

You can just TELL that a lot of people on that thread were upset at Ryu because of the "third party companies can't have two reps" and "fighting game characters can't be in Smash" speculation rules that were in place at the time.

And then there's what happened afterwards.

Cloud, one of the symbols of "filthy idiot casual peasant" character requests and used as a literal joke by the hardcore speculation community while also simultaneously not having any "proper" games on a Nintendo system, was revealed.

And then we got yet another Fire Emblem character long after people had been upset to the extreme of throwing tantrums about having too many of them already, and the ballot was won by a second SEGA character with a strong association with multiple kinds of family unfriendly design elements.

The whole thing took the fandom's cozy little rules and just mercilessly ripped them apart.

Considering how a lot of requests now seem to veer in the opposite direction and go out of their way to break as many fandom rules as possible post-Corrinetta, I kind of wonder if people became so confused by the number of rules broken that they decided that rules being broken was itself a rule.

D

Deleted member

Smash 4 was the first smash bros speculation I took part of, and I learned something valuable from it. What characters do and don't get in are like a water current, unless you have THE exact proof that they are or aren't going to get in, it's unpredictable. Hell, the next Smash's roster could be simple and predictable, an oddball of newcomers, or, the most likely as usual, a mix of both.

So I find it funny that some people on both sides are so full and sure of themselves. There's people that are sure something is 100% guaranteed or 100% impossible, it's rather silly.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
To think there were some people who actually thought Roy couldn't return because of Roy Koopa...

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It was hard liking both characters during the Royu chaos.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Smash 4 was the first smash bros speculation I took part of, and I learned something valuable from it. What characters do and don't get in are like a water current, unless you have THE exact proof that they are or aren't going to get in, it's unpredictable. Hell, the next Smash's roster could be simple and predictable, an oddball of newcomers, or, the most likely as usual, a mix of both.

So I find it funny that some people on both sides are so full and sure of themselves. There's people that are sure something is 100% guaranteed or 100% impossible, it's rather silly.
The only characters I felt sure of was the Original 12. However, I will note that I had no idea how expendable Jigglypuff was supposed to be, even if she made it in before Mewtwo in Brawl(but that is likely due to The Pokemon Company/GameFreak/etc. and not Sakurai. Also, being that Sakurai's crew was able to convince him to keep Ness in Melee(albet, even if Mother 3 wasn't cancelled, this could still be the case, as that was part of why he wasn't cut for Lucas/Mother 3's protagonist's old name), I think the crew also has a hand in this). I obviously shouldn't put much stock into the Jiggly, though. The fact she's so... bad in Brawl and 4 compared to Melee and 64 suggests that they didn't care as much about her and she was made more as an afterthought. Of course, her not being in the SSE does imply she was made among the last characters. Hard to say for 4 when she was developed. She was still a secret character, but that doesn't really mean all that much anyway. Who knows.

I think it's safe to say at this time that Mewtwo isn't considered high priority among the Pokemon in general as is.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
It was hard liking both characters during the Royu chaos.
Even more so Roy with all the detractors he had. I had to deal with a lot of haters during that 2 and a half month span and it was almost like people weren't letting us be happy about the character's return.

Might seem a bit hypocritical saying all this though considering my hatred for a certain FE character. Ironically enough, when that character was revealed it was the opposite of Roy. Instead of aggressively bashing the character like they did with Roy, they aggressively defended the character from any kind of criticism which made me really frustrated and bitter. It was almost like the roles were reversed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom