• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I want to ask some questions, just for curiosity:

1-¿How do you feel about having 3rd party charcters in Smash?
I've got no problem with them.

2-Now, imagine for a second that we are in 2006, right before they show the trailer for Brawl. There's only 2 games and they only have Nintendo characters. If some person came and told you that he/she wants a Non-Nintendo character in Super Smash Bros Brawl (like say, Mega Man or Sonic, or even Cloud Strife), how would you react to that?
Me back then? I wouldn't think much of it.

If me now but sent back to 2006 with no knowledge of Brawl or Smash Wii U? I'd probably see their wants as unrealistic, but I wouldn't get "mad" or anything.

3-Now, imagine for a moment that you are making the new Smash game, and we live in a world withouth 3rd parties in the Smash roster, but a 3rd party shows up (any 3rd party company you want) company proposes you an offer: having their character(s) in the Smash (imagine any 3rd party that you or other people desperatley want in Smash) ¿Would you accept the offer?
If there were no objections to it by higher-ups at Nintendo, sure.

4-If ALL 3rd party characters got cut (along with al the 3rd party content althogether) ¿How would you feel?
I'd be livid. Because that would imply Nintendo got anal for some reason.

5-Regardless of your opinion of 3rd parties in Smash, ask yourself something. ¿Is there any shortcomings to having them in Smash?
Not really as far as I see.

6-and just for giggles, ¿Which 3rd party character would you like to see playable in Smash and why? It can be any game character. (Sora, Ryu Hayabusa or even a Tetris piece).
Shovel Knight. I played his game just to see what the fuss was all about back in DLC speculation, and I got attached to the idea of him in Smash.

Last edited by a moderator:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I wasn't made at Ryu. At that point I was like "I got the Capcom character I wanted"

Although, technically...

I probably would have been mad at Ryu if he had gotten in instead of Mega Man.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm still not wild about the idea of Ryu in Smash. Though I acknowledge that's simply my personal preference. He had his "qualifications" and all, I just don't think he fits well. If you happen to enjoy him, and I know a lot of people who do, that's great.

What I had more of a problem with is how people who days prior would scoff at the idea of Ryu in Smash suddenly began giving people who didn't change their opinions on his inclusion a hard time. Being fickle is a well-known trait of the Smash community, and that's one thing, but then having inconsistent sycophants ****ting on people who simply stand by their opinions is not cool.

Roy I never had a problem with. I was happy to see him. Back in 2012/13 I was part of the contingent who believed we'd get him over Chrom, and that group faced a lot of ridicule, so it was nice to see him make it after all. However if I had known we'd also be getting Corrin, I probably wouldn't have been as enthused.

At the end of the day though it's not really worth going on about these characters, because they're optional. If you like em, great, go buy em. If you don't... don't bother complaining about it... just don't pick them up. I still haven't bought Corrin (and my CSS looks all the better for it :laugh:).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I thought Roy was a stupid addition during pre-release and O thought he shouldn't return, but his eventual return in Smash 4 as DLC made me warm up to him
But then I played FE6 some weeks ago and now I fully believe literally any FE character would be a better addition to Smash than him

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I thought Roy was a stupid addition during pre-release and O thought he shouldn't return, but his eventual return in Smash 4 as DLC made me warm up to him
But then I played FE6 some weeks ago and now I fully believe literally any FE character would be a better addition to Smash than him
Even FE3's Lang, a boss who is canonically a !$#%*? Christ
EDIT: Why is this word not censored anymore?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Even FE3's Lang, a boss who is canonically a !$#%*? Christ
EDIT: Why is this word not censored anymore?
Batta the Beast should have been the Elibe rep

And I have no idea what that censored word is supposed to be

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I was against :4feroy::4ryu::4lucas:. I was against Ryu because it would mean two Capcom characters. Eventually, I realized adding third-parties wasn't supposed to do with their companies, and now I'm fine with Ryu. I actually think he's kind of cool.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
You could replace Roy with a wet cardboard box holding a fire sword and there'd hardly even be a difference.

D

Deleted member

Something something against the will of little girls
Oh, alright
But rapists seem to be popular in FE as SS proved with Valter and that obnoxious dead meme
The little girl part doesn't seem to matter in FE as they're technically adults
Still more character than Roy though

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

1-¿How do you feel about having 3rd party charcters in Smash?

2-Now, imagine for a second that we are in 2006, right before they show the trailer for Brawl. There's only 2 games and they only have Nintendo characters. If some person came and told you that he/she wants a Non-Nintendo character in Super Smash Bros Brawl (like say, Mega Man or Sonic, or even Cloud Strife), how would you react to that?

3-Now, imagine for a moment that you are making the new Smash game, and we live in a world withouth 3rd parties in the Smash roster, but a 3rd party shows up (any 3rd party company you want) company proposes you an offer: having their character(s) in the Smash (imagine any 3rd party that you or other people desperatley want in Smash) ¿Would you accept the offer?

4-If ALL 3rd party characters got cut (along with al the 3rd party content althogether) ¿How would you feel?

5-Regardless of your opinion of 3rd parties in Smash, ask yourself something. ¿Is there any shortcomings to having them in Smash?

6-and just for giggles, ¿Which 3rd party character would you like to see playable in Smash and why? It can be any game character. (Sora, Ryu Hayabusa or even a Tetris piece).

You can answer these questions as detailed and deep as you want.
1. I feel like the DLC went overboard with them and I definitely understand what Sakurai meant before release when he said that too many 3rd party characters would distract from what the game is really about. Overall I have no problem with having them in, but they have to be chosen more carefully.

2. It was a touchy subject back then as some people really believed it could happen and others rejected the idea as if it was the most unlikely thing ever, there was no middle ground. Personally I was on the Nintendo-only side of things, but I didn't really mind Snake or Sonic when they were announced, my reaction would solely depend on the character in question.

3. Depends on what character(s) it is. I wouldn't accept the likes of Bayonetta or Cloud myself, but I'm fully supportive of the more iconic characters like Sonic and Mega Man.

4. I wouldn't care too much as I don't like any of their movesets myself. I think it'd be a shame to lose Sonic and Mega Man, but I'd easily move on.

5. Like I said earlier I feel they take away from the focus of the game when they're announced, I was personally very dissapointed with the DLC as most of the new characters were just 3rd party characters and as someone who's primarily a Nintendo fan I just didn't care for them.

6. Might contradict myself here, but Agumon would be nice simply to help Digimon's revival in the west.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

You can answer these questions as detailed and deep as you want.
1. Good, not many Nintendo characters left that would add much IMO. 3rd Parties are also a large part of Nintendo's history as well.

2. Would be mixed. There was a lot of important characters who needed to get into Brawl, and most 3rd Party choices are awful IMO. Back then the walls holding back the flood were a lot less defined so fan bases were more obnoxious.

3. Probably depending on the terms/the character. Would say yes to the Smash 4 starters & Cloud, but a lot more skeptical on Ryu and especially Snake/Bayonetta.

4. Bummed but I'd understand. I've love for Snake/Cloud to return, but I'm not going to go fanboy over them. Ryu I'd be mixed because MM priority, Bayonetta I'd miss about as much as Pichu.

5. Not really considering the remaining pool of characters.

6. Ryu Hayabusa or Simon Belmont. The former because history, the latter assuming a MM/Ryu situation.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Funny enough I didn't like the idea of Roy coming back at first...but after he returned with a redesign and slightly updated moveset, as well as having that melee nostalgia hit me since he was my number 3 back then the salt dissipated rather quickly...

However in hindsight of what happened a character that I was fine with at first, Lucas (a STILL Japan only character mind you, since Nintendo isn't going to localize Mother 3 for some reason), returned as our 'Brawl vet' while another character didn't...I actually would've used this other character instead of Lucas who I literally haven't touched since near his initial release almost a year ago...As upset as I was with Corrin, I actually every now and then still use her, Lucas is probably the only DLC character I most likely will never touch...

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I got to be honest, after thinking it through and beating Xenoblade X in my Spring Break last week:

I ultimately thought all of quests I've done and the grinding I had to go through wasn't worth the ending for Xenoblade X.

I wanted more of the story to be revealed, and I felt like Elma being an alien and the cliffhanger was not enough.

I just think Xenoblade X is a good game now. It has great characters, gameplay, and exploration, but ultimately I think the story being less of an importance brought the game down for me. I don't think I want to play the game again.

Smash-wise, unless the sequel manages to bring more story, I think I'm glad Corrin was chosen over Elma.

Last edited:

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I've seen people saying they were running out of good Nintendo characters to add, so I decided to see if I could create a list of 50 good first-parties who could realistically get in.

1. King K. Rool
  2. Isaac
  3. Bandana Waddle Dee
  4. Dixie Kong
  5. Elma
  6. Paper Mario
  7. Dark Matter
  8. Dark Samus
  9. Midna
  10. Linkle
  11. Takamaru
  12. King Boo
  13. Bubbles
  14. Sceptile
  15. Hoopa
  16. Zoroark
  17. Genesect
  18. Gengar
  19. Dragonite
  20. Blaziken
  21. Kamek
  22. Tom Nook
  23. Isabelle
  24. Ashley & Red
  25. Matthew
  26. Felix
  27. Alex
  28. Balloon Fighter
  29. Inkling
  30. DJ Octavio
  31. Cranky Kong
  32. Gardevoir
  33. Marshal
  34. Rhythm Wrestler
  35. Dillon
  36. Nibbles
  37. Alph
  38. Plasm Wraith
  39. Sheriff
  40. Badge Bunny
  41. Lip
  42. Karate Joe
  43. Anna
  44. Chibi-Robo
  45. Magearna
  46. Fiora
  47. Darkrai
  48. Deoxys
  49. Medusa
  50. Mach Rider
Not a whole lot, but the number increases if we want to ignore relevancy.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Characters I had a turn on:

-:4pacman:: I obviously knew how iconic he was but a lot of his Smash supporters didn't seem like they genuinely cared about him and just wanted him in because "Bandai Namco is making the game and muh representation". Like I only knew two people in the entirety of Smash speculation that seemed to genuinely care about him, I honestly felt he was becoming the next "bandwagon" character like Ridley, at the time. So that kinda turned me off him, I just hate the idea of people demanding for a character for arbitrary reasons and not out of legitimate love for the character. I still think he didn't get the fanfare he deserved, though this is partially due to the manner of his reveal being really weird (live blogged closed door conference confirming him, with a trailer randomly posted on the Smash website the next morning with Nintendo not making any sort of big deal out of it), and his unorthodox play style. Though ultimately he's in the game, I think he's really funny, and I think he's fun to play as.

-:4feroy:: Another case of Smash bandwagoning I really hate. By all accounts, it seemed FE fans actually universally hated this character (and this still appears to be the case), due to him being terribly portrayed in his own game. Plus I didn't understand why an inferior clone of Marth from Melee was so popular, like it would be one thing if he was a beloved character who unfortunately started out as a clone and people wanted him to be made more unique (like Luigi), but Roy just didn't really seem to have anything going for him. Anyone who played his game seemed to hate him or at least be indifferent to him, and he was just a bad clone of one of Melee's best characters. I didn't see ANY legitimate reason as to what was making him so demanded, like nobody could even give me one, except for "LE HE'S OUR BOY" memes. Regardless, he returned, and he got a bit of a revamp so he stands out more from Marth (with Lucina being our new pure Marth clone in the truest sense), and his new design makes him look like way less of a prissy sissy nugget now too (Roy looked like a baby on a man's body in Melee, lmao). Also Sakurai has pretty much made it clear he's effectively a different character than FE canon Roy, and it does show, and I find Smash Roy's hot-blooded spirit endearing (he's like a swordwielding :4falcon:). Also he is really fun now, I considered making him a secondary at one point. Plus his amiibo is so cool. However, I still feel like 2 FE characters was excessive for the limited space of DLC we could have, and if I was to pick one to be dropped, it would be Roy, since :4corrin: brings far more to the game (especially since Roy is once again, pretty low tier and doesn't really add much to the competitive scene).

-:4bayonetta:: Not even sure if this counts, but I always thought she'd be a cool addition and was always indirectly supportive of her since my friend really wanted her. My only thing was of course, I didn't see how they could make her work and represent her character properly, without her being too risqué for this game. Not for me, but considering how Smashboards mods/admins are about even the lightest of sexy content on the basis that "Smash's audience is too young for that", and you know, the fact the large majority of the Smash demographic is American and they are much more conservative and prude about that stuff over there compared to Europe (which in hindsight, is probably why Bayonetta ranked 1st in Europe compared to the US on the ballot), I just thought she didn't have a hope, even more so after reading about struggles Sakurai had with Japanese rating system in regards to characters like Palutena and Wonder Pink's trophy. And yeah, the fanbase acted weird enough with other females as is - Palutena and ZSS were considered too lewd and sexualised by many and people got bothered by the obvious teasing in Palutena's trailer especially, Lucina and Rosalina were regarded as only being included for "the waifu crowd" (if that's even a thing), etc. It was just really hard for me to see Bayonetta making considering all of that. But Sakurai made her work anyway and I am glad, she's a really cool addition.

-:rosalina:: Again, a Bayonetta-esque situation. I of course DREAMED of her getting in, ever since Brawl, but I too fell prey to the common misconception that Bowser. Jr, Daisy, and Waluigi, were "much more popular characters" overall, so I basically thought she was impossible given that "competition". However that wasn't true at all, turns out Rosalina always was more popular, according to interviews throughout the years, and general reception of the character after being included. I pretty much came around though by the time they revealed the Galaxy stage (which is literally Rosalina's original home from the storybook), and when she was revealed to be in 3D World. This particular Miiverse post made me 90% confident that she was gonna be in the game:

Felt like a pretty big hint IMO.

So yeah that's about all I can think of on that.

--------------

Also, unrelated, but...this is amazing...

"Do you hear the baby stars? These newborns will grow up to become galaxies someday."

http://smashbros-miiverse.com/fanpic/2016-03-09

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Characters I've grown to like:

:rosalina:: I had double feelings about the puppeteer duo.
Yes, she has an amazing moveset, she's a great character and she certainly deserves it, but I preferred Toad and :4bowserjr:by a mile.
I was hyped at first (A new Mario character! It's Rosalina! And Luma!) but then I realised that I would've preferred Toad or Bowser Jr.

I eventually grew on her and figured I'd just main a non-Mario character.

Then Bowser Jr. was in and I was hyped again.
Then he was low tier.
Now I main Rosalina and Luma.

Better luck next time Toad.

:4corrin::
#Should'veBeenAzura was my mantra for the 24 after the Corrinetta bomb.
Azura was potentially my number 1 choice for a ballot newcomer for combining everything I wanted in a character's moveset potential
Skip to the night before the presentation, where I couldn't sleep of the hype.
My lullaby for that night would be revealed to be in the game alongside Corrin, the main character of Azura's game.
So close yet so far.
Eventually Corrin became one of my favorite characters for having everything I wanted in a characters moveset himself.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It's like the three of four of you get off on insulting Roy or something. It really isn't a lot at this point.

It's a minority that won't shut up.

D

Deleted member

#Should'veBeenAzura
#AtLeastCorrinDoesn'tCreateStupidPlotPoints
Seriously, she deliberately holds off information from them in BR and C and basically ruins the plot of Conquest with Chapter 15
I want a Lance user but after playing Fates, I'm glad they went for Corrin over Azura
It's like the three of four of you get off on insulting Roy or something. It really isn't a lot at this point.

It's a minority that won't shut up.
You seem to get pretty worked up on something that's just an opinion
It's like we HAVE to like Roy and accept that he's a good addition for Smash(which he isn't)

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
#AtLeastCorrinDoesn'tCreateStupidPlotPoints
Seriously, she deliberately holds off information from them in BR and C and basically ruins the plot of Conquest with Chapter 15
I want a Lance user but after playing Fates, I'm glad they went for Corrin over Azura

It's like we HAVE to like Roy and accept that he's a good addition for Smash(which he isn't)
It surpasses opinion when every time Roy is brought up, we have insults.

This isn't just disliking a character/game. This is harping on it to the point where people who didn't care before (like me) start to get annoyed.

If that is getting "worked up" then I have no idea what to call the Roy hate. Because it is certainly a hell of a lot more. :/

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It surpasses opinion when every time Roy is brought up, we have insults.

This isn't just disliking a character/game. This is harping on it to the point where people who didn't care before (like me) start to get annoyed.
Stating my opinion because he was brought up is annoying???
I made one post about him, how's this harping on?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Stating my opinion because he was brought up is annoying???
I made one post about him, how's this harping on?
Because it happens whenever Roy is brought up. This isn't just a one time thing.

Besides this isn't you specificically.

D

Deleted member

Because it happens whenever Roy is brought up. This isn't just a one time thing.

Besides this isn't you specificically.
It's only natural people would state their opinions on a character if they're brought up...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The reason why I personally bash Roy is because I expected so much, yet he delivered so little. His personality in Smash was a lot more energetic than the actual FE character to the point Sakurai said SmashRoy is a different character than FERoy iirc. Especially with 'omg ph1re sword', his main appeal in Melee, was only at the end of the game. With Marth, I knew before hand that his personality in Shadow Dragon is different, but I still liked him nonetheless. Roy's basically my Sonic 06, expected so much, yet endlessly disappointed. Also has good music funny enough

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It's only natural people would state their opinions on a character if they're brought up...
It's natural that people would get annoyed at the same negative point pounded into their head.

I'm not saying you have to like him. Heavens no.

Just stop ******** every chance you guys get...

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
If you're gonna complain about Roy being on roster, might as well add that with Lucina.

Roy is a legit semi-clone of Marth with his own additions and his jab was different as well as ALL of his aerials.

Lucina is a worst version of Marth and is made as an accessible version of him that adds nothing new. Her character is literally pretending to be the Hero King and no matter how many ideas we can spew to change her up, she was and is a variant of Marth just ACTUALLY FEMININE.

And this is coming from someone who plays Lucina. She's a super lazy clone brought in to pad the roster because of extra time.

D

Deleted member

It's natural that people would get annoyed at the same negative point pounded into their head.

I'm not saying you have to like him. Heavens no.

Just stop ******** every chance you guys get...
So, can I get annoyed if people praise him? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
If you're gonna complain about Roy being on roster, might as well add that with Lucina.

Roy is a legit semi-clone of Marth with his own additions and his jab was different as well as ALL of his aerials.

Lucina is a worst version of Marth and is made as an accessible version of him that adds nothing new. Her character is literally pretending to be the Hero King and no matter how many ideas we can spew to change her up, she was and is a variant of Marth just ACTUALLY FEMININE.

And this is coming from someone who plays Lucina. She's a super lazy clone brought in to pad the roster because of extra time.
I don't like him in Smash because of his non-existing character, not because he's a clone, he could be as unique as Robin and I still wouldn't give a ****
Lucina is at least an actual character
Roy is just there to move a badly copy-pasted plot from FE2

D

Deleted member

TBH, as a Ridley supporter and someone who really loves corrin's inclusion since inclusion, when you here banter of a character over and over again it starts not affecting you, and you realize that making a big deal of them making a deal about it will only make things twice as worse if not more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
tbh this scenario isn't a good example as we had to list our thoughts on the DLC characters
There's a significant difference between these two lines;

"Roy isn't my favorite FE character, so I'd have preferred someone else."

and

"A chair would be better than Roy."

Paraphrased to a degree, but the point is there. The first one is very reasonable. You could even rewrite it as "Roy is someone I dislike, so I'd have preferred someone else." Still reasonable. The second one is just pure hate and lacks any logic to it.

Look, I've seen enough of this bull**** Roy hate for long enough. It doesn't add anything useful. It's just as bad as the constant hating on FE for getting two DLC characters. It's pure drama and isn't good for anyone.

Swamp's point is what I first said, being reasonable in one's criticisms and show restraint as well. Hating and Criticism is completely different. I hate a lot of games myself(Sonic Unleashed, for instance). My criticisms aren't hate-based, but I actually explain my issues with it without using colorful language, pointless poor comparisons, etc. I get mad too, of course. We all do. But restraint is necessary here. There's a reason why we're replying to this and trying to get rid of the pointless hate and only leave reasonable criticism. It gets everyone on edge, it derails a simple set of DLC questions and answers into a completely different argument(the getting rid of hate argument), and essentially always ends in drama. That said, I think it's best we just stop this kind of hate before it gets so bad that we can longer do anything but have the Moderators end it themselves, which is even worse to deal with. If a Mod has to be called in, it went way too far. It should be easy to solve a problem without them, that isn't a Spammer, Spambot, or someone posting illegal stuff/porn here. Those are the ones that aren't reasonable people in any way, shape, or form and discounting the spambot who isn't a person as is, it cannot be solved by talking to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom