• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Hi guys, so I randomly had a thought about the paper mario series and the zelda series after I played tphd and I realised something that might be worth my attention.

PushDustIn PushDustIn I actually think you would be interested by hearing this post hence the tag (and there's one thing I am not sure if there;s reliable sources on it)

Basically, I was wondering again about how the paper mario series got like SS and CS and why it got there and then i thought about he zelda series and something kinda clicked in my mind.

I took every 3d zelda and I realised they are all very consistent on their foundations (mostly from oot). Because of course, oot got its foundation from the 2d zelda and changed a lot to have it work for 3d and it worked very well. So they tried to do mm which is literally oot viewed differently because it really is reusing a lot of assets from oot but used very differently, had the expansion pack and bla bla bla. the point here is that it FELT very oot ish, but also different in the entire series given how deep the atmosphere of sadness is.

So then the GC happened and they tried something different, so much that (this is where push you could confirm it';s reliable) that from what i heard, aonuma had to work in secret a bit on tww before feeling ok to present it to myamoto. Anyway, the point is again, despite feeling very different as a zelda game for the series, It stuill felt to have some oot ish with he controls and the general structure. It's like oot completely renewed and redone if you would want, but I felt that it had oot in its root.

Tp is imo where it got even more obvious of that pattern. Tp felt the same feeling I had with tww about being oot ish, but the game is doing very new and interesting stuff mainly with midna and the plot so that I don't even feel it;s similar to oot, but I recognises oot mechanics just like the game I mentioned.

Then SS.....well it got away slightly, but it had slight oot stuff on it and still felt consistent on that part.

So I get a pattern in the series well it had at some point a redundancy risk problem where the series RISK to become too redundant throughout its game. Which gave a very interesting result, the series is VERY consistent and also VERY diverse. When you play a 3d zelda, no matter what it would be, it would be a 3d zelda in its base concept, but it would be a different 3d zelda on its own every time.

Now, if I look at paper mario, after TTYD I honestly could have seen a redundancy risk. I have been telling this a lot, but I woudln't think improving on TTYD woudl ahve been a good idea after TTYD was released so this is why I found spm to be an elegant solution. Because I felt spm was having a bit of TTYD ish, but the way it was done was changed and then the plot was completely changed to something very interesting. Then it had the cubic design, basically, i am trying to say that on all the first 3 games, you would recognise the same base concept, but the way they are paper mario makes them unique for each game. Pm64 being very chill and calm, TTYD being basically the combat system and spm being the design and plot.

So this is where it starts to not be comparable to the zelda series. Because instead of keeping a partial redundancy of the series it stopped to feels consistent, sticker star essentially removed most of the series consistency. If anything, I found spm to be the tww of paper mario, but SS.....I found it more that it would be sort of rebooting the entire series if anything, I don;t think it followed it.

So this is where this comparison becomes interesting, why they didn;t tried that at least twice in a row? The zelda series got fine with old foundations for years without feeling it was too redundant because it kept refreshing itself with the way to implement the zelda series. If Paper Mario was trying to do the same thing, it could have worked. Why not a TTYD battle system like, but have deeper npc story? Or why not a cardboard and paper style clash or something ridiculous with pm64 mechanics? I am just throwing random ideas and I realise that it could have worked. I still think TTYD is too hard to improve, but it;s not hard to refresh it. What I mean is take the very very core foundations of TTYD and make them JUST an rpg, but then have something that makes the game unique from it. Like I said, I felt spm was like this, but the thing is spm moved slightly too away in mechanics which to me is fine because they could have at least corrected that after, but this isn;t what happened.

It;s as if the problem with paper mario isn't entirely a communication problem, but also a question that i feel nintendo has trouble with: how do they want paper mario to be? If the answer was clear then I could take all the game and give similar points, but then SS kinda make this question hard to answer because SS does move away a lot. It;s as if there would be a goal problem like they woudln't know what they want with the series as much as before.

So what do you guys think about this thought? Just now, Aonuma is saying that the next zelda game would change a lot in conventions which is very interesting because if it took this long for the series to need this, then idk why the paper mario series had to just stall and stopped with its consistency THIS much.....

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Placed Roy and Ryu with the rest of my collection.

The Mario and third party guests row is growing for the first time in almost a year!

IMAG0328_1.jpg

Don't mind Miss Rosalina, she's just a bit hot and bothered that I moved her from her special spot at the front to take the photo. Mega Man and Ryu are a little frightened of her though...

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I have my amiibos lined up in the order of the character's first appearance. :awesome:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I too sorted out my amiibo collection last night, and placed the new Wolf Link and Roy amiibo alongside their fellow series. It's quite a nice touch, and I'll see about uploading a picture after I've done some more Maths.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
With my Smash amiibo, I arrange them by franchise. With Mario being grouped with the third parties as an exception, though other Mario characters are adjacent to him. Rosalina is at the front too because why not, though still adjacent to Mario. It's sorta meant to look like the Classic Mode clear screen.

This is an older picture but it conveys the idea.

All the other series' are just with each other. Singles like Shovel Knight are just put wherever I can display them well, with the space I have.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
All of my amiibos (except Wolf Link & Midna) are still in their boxes because I still need to figure what to do with them/where to put them...And other than WL&M I don't really have a need to use them for any games (well cept maybe Ganondorf but I'm not in a hurray to obliterate myself in TPHD just yet)

My amiibo collection btw...I'm only really focusing on characters who interest me...but I'll pick up any rare amiibos if I find them...
:4link::4zelda::4ganondorf::4zss::4falco::4greninja::4falcon::4villager::4marth::4feroy:
+Inkling girl
+Wolf Link & Midna
+Shadow Mewtwo card (still technically an Amiibo, though it's not a figure)

Last edited:

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
Off-topic:

I retook the 16 personalities test after over a year (I was an ISTP) and got INFP-T.

Sounds accurate. Very philosophical, and I'm getting into philosophy. I sorta think ISTP still reflects upon me.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So i just found out that Dan Green, who voiced many characters in the 4Kids dubs (namely Knuckles in Sonic X), also voiced a character in:

La Blue Girl, a SUPER NSFW anime series.

The irony here is just absurd. Really, what am i supposed to say outside of a flat out What?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

The only amiibo I currently have is the Wolf Link one that comes bundled with Twilight Princess HD. If I had anymore, I would sort them either by franchise (with the third parties grouped together) or by each character's first appearance.

D

Deleted member

I only have the Inkling Boy amiibo as of now.

I want to get the Mewtwo and Roy amiibo some day. Though i have no hurry.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm REALLY bad at non-Verbal communication

Apparently the majority of communication people do IS non-verbal though.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
So i just found out that Dan Green, who voiced many characters in the 4Kids dubs (namely Knuckles in Sonic X), also voiced a character in:

The irony here is just absurd. Really, what am i supposed to say outside of a flat out What?
He's been in quite a few hentai dubs actually.
Heck, it's not really that surprising looking at some of his other works. Particularly a famous line involving chickens.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm REALLY bad at non-Verbal communication

Apparently the majority of communication people do IS non-verbal though.

Well, the thing is, non verbal communication means quite a lot of things. Such as gestures, tone of voice, appearance, movement, facial expressions, and eye contact. A lot of it you may not even realize you're doing. Hell, that's probably why no one ever approaches me IRL unless I do first. As I tend to have rather threatening posture/look. LMFAO. Everyone's scared of me for some reason, one of my friends even went as far as to say that I look like someone who can beat him up. Like.... Wow.... It's just so surprising to me because I'm such a softy unless I'm debating or arguing.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, the thing is, non verbal communication means quite a lot of things. Such as gestures, tone of voice, appearance, movement, facial expressions, and eye contact. A lot of it you may not even realize you're doing. Hell, that's probably why no one ever approaches me IRL unless I do first. As I tend to have rather threatening posture/look. LMFAO. Everyone's scared of me for some reason, one of my friends even went as far as to say that I look like someone who can beat him up. Like.... Wow.... It's just so surprising to me because I'm such a softy unless I'm debating or arguing.
I kind of have that problem too

And I'm 5'3". People scared of someone 5'3"

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
The way you guys talk about social encounters sounds like some of you might be on the autism spectrum/aspergers. That's not meant to be an insult at all, as "the spectrum" is so vague these days.

You should consider seeing a psychologist and getting an eval. if you haven't already. Will probably help you learn techniques for yourself.

D

Deleted member

I kind of have that problem too

And I'm 5'3". People scared of someone 5'3"
Yeah, and I'm only 5'7 and rather soft faced. I don't really look threatening at all.

Here's an example of me, though it's from my Christmas eve, my hair is longer now. But it's the only pic I can find that isn't me photoshopped to look like a femboy. :p (Because girlfriend.)
Or maybe I do? IDK. :p

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I wouldn't personally. I'm a bit of an anti-social and I wouldn't bother with any sort of psychologist. I'm fine with who I am and I don't care if others take issue to that.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
*watching pokken gameplay on the haunted house stage* wait...is that a...it is..its a hex maniac

man you just keep finding more and more stuff the more you look(like i only noticed galvantula in the neos city night stage

D

Deleted member

The way you guys talk about social encounters sounds like some of you might be on the autism spectrum/aspergers. That's not meant to be an insult at all, as "the spectrum" is so vague these days.

You should consider seeing a psychologist and getting an eval. if you haven't already. Will probably help you learn techniques for yourself.
I'm only mildly autistic, I'm very very low on the spectrum. I don't have trouble making friends, I just don't like getting into other people's business unless I have reason to.

Even then, I'm not even sure if it's autism to even cause certain problems or not. For an example, I get extremely nervous on group projects with other students I don't know. But, I find that to be because I feel as if all I do is hold him back, because I;m not good at lending ideas to them or doing a lot of work with for them, because I worry that they'll see the ideas as stupid. But that's more of a depression problem, in fact, I don't think autism is even a problem to me, I don't even know for sure if I have it, I think it just might be depression. And they often have rather strange beliefs/behavior. And often I just don't feel safe around them. A good example would be last semester, I almost failed cooking because of this group I was stuck with most of the semester(I basically learned nothing as a result, all I did was clean.), until one of them brought pot brownies to the class to sell to another guy in our group, who was a massive jerk anyway. So, I reported it and they both got busted, but they don't know it was me, thank goodness.

But even that's going away quickly thanks to conquering my biggest fear and making future plans with my girlfriend.

Sorry for all of this personal stuff, slow day for me and a lot has happened recently. :p

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I'm just awkward as a whole irl. Not because of any mental disorder, it's just who I am. I do plan on someday being able to get better with it though.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
I'm only mildly autistic, I'm very very low on the spectrum. I don't have trouble making friends, I just don't like getting into other people's business unless I have reason to.

Even then, I'm not even sure if it's autism to even cause certain problems or not. For an example, I get extremely nervous on group projects with other students I don't know. But, I find that to be because I feel as if all I do is hold him back, because I;m not good at lending ideas to them or doing a lot of work with for them, because I worry that they'll see the ideas as stupid. But that's more of a depression problem, in fact, I don't think autism is even a problem to me, I don't even know for sure if I have it, I think it just might be depression. And they often have rather strange beliefs/behavior. And often I just don't feel safe around them. A good example would be last semester, I almost failed cooking because of this group I was stuck with most of the semester(I basically learned nothing as a result, all I did was clean.), until one of them brought pot brownies to the class to sell to another guy in our group, who was a massive jerk anyway. So, I reported it and they both got busted, but they don't know it was me, thank goodness.

But even that's going away quickly thanks to conquering my biggest fear and making future plans with my girlfriend.

Sorry for all of this personal stuff, slow day for me and a lot has happened recently. :p
It's all good. That sounds exactly like Aspergers/mild autism. Someone I'm VERY close to went through the whole ordeal.

It's a shame that the internet uses autism as an insult. It 5 years people won't think twice when they meet someone with autism/aspergers. So many people are on the spectrum that you would never even notice.

Person I know was extremely popular and tried as hard as he could to be social. But it hurt him so much and was so challenging so he saw someone. Wouldn't you know... diagnosed with aspergers. Tough to come to terms with at first. But it ended up being so beneficial for him. Explained odd behaviors he had. He got therapy for many things.

Point is, for anyone scared to see a psychiatrist/psychologist (I forget which one), or scared to receive a diagnosis. It really can only help. I never brought it up here before, but I see many people here obviously struggling socially. And there are solutions/paths to success out there.

D

Deleted member

It's all good. That sounds exactly like Aspergers/mild autism. Someone I'm VERY close to went through the whole ordeal.

It's a shame that the internet uses autism as an insult. It 5 years people won't think twice when they meet someone with autism/aspergers. So many people are on the spectrum that you would never even notice.

Person I know was extremely popular and tried as hard as he could to be social. But it hurt him so much and was so challenging so he saw someone. Wouldn't you know... diagnosed with aspergers. Tough to come to terms with at first. But it ended up being so beneficial for him. Explained odd behaviors he had. He got therapy for many things.

Point is, for anyone scared to see a psychiatrist/psychologist (I forget which one), or scared to receive a diagnosis. It really can only help. I never brought it up here before, but I see many people here obviously struggling socially. And there are solutions/paths to success out there.
I also forgot to mention that I am indeed diagnosed with autism though, ever since the age of three. And I did see a psychiatrist weekly back i
In my junior high days, which I consider the lowest point of my life. And did help, ever since I got into I highschool I never had any problems meeting any friends.

I do plan on going to the psychiatrist again after highschool. I want to know more about my autism and my mental state in general, all I know is that it's very mild, but it does affect me. Especially when it comes to school work, homework especially, I tend to procrastinate and never do it. And I really hate big projects.

But, I do feel as if I do have some kind of depression disorder. I feel as if I've outgrown trying to get along with people and make friends, in fact, I've even been in so many relationships now.... Of course, the early ones were pretty bad and unhealthy, but recently things have been going fantastic, those unhealthy relationships just helped me get to, what I feel is my true partner.

Which reminds me, I'm once again in a one on one relationship. Just me and my girlfriend who draws the majority of the avatars I use.(Which I'll change into one in a second, the last two just weren't to change things up for a short time.)

My boyfriend's parents caught him chatting with me on facebook, and of course, we were very openly gay, as we always are. So, of course, his parents broke out at him and said some pretty heart breaking, bigoted things. So to keep things safe for him, I told him that I still him love him, but I feel as if it should just be me and FuFu(My GF). And he was perfectly fine with that, and he just wants me to be safe too, and he's glad even to be friends with the both of us.

So all's been well recently in that regard.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
After my parents broke up they had my brother go to a psychologist because they thought something was wrong with him.

Eventually it became a whole family thing.

The psychologist eventually decided my brother was perfectly normal, but started telling my parents he believed there was something wrong with me - which up to that point I always figured I was normal, just not very popular.

And the Psychologist did say he thought I had mild aspergers.

Which TBH didn't impact me very positively because from that point forward I had a view of myself as different from everyone else and that no one could see me as a real person.

It kind of made matters worse when someone with a lot less milder aspergers went to my school and he was obnoxious, loud, and angry - and completely obsessed with sharks for some reason. So, I tried to distance myself from that.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It's a shame that the internet uses autism as an insult.
Not just the internet. I remember a few autistic friends calling each other autists, but that's okay as those 2 were both autistic and best friends. What wasn't okay was when a customer asked me about why it said 'try it for free!' on a bottle of coke. After explaining that it's the company sending you the money back, he responded 'Good thing I'm not some ******** autist, otherwise I'd have drank it right then and there' and his friends laughed at that. It's times like that I regret helping people. They also pronounced cherry as sherry smh

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I have multiple friends who have Asperger Syndrome, and I think I'm probably on the spectrum somewhere myself (I think on the more "mild" end). When I was younger, I would only communicate through sounds (like if someone said "dog" I would say "woof") and I didn't look anyone in the eyes (though I overcame that now). I also went to speech therapy for many years. I don't usually rock back and forth...but I definitely caught myself doing it once in anticipation for a Nintendo Direct. Those are all signs of being somewhere on spectrum. Other signs are lack of volume control and having certain fixations BTW.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm pretty sure I'm not on the spectrum.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
As to if I'm on this Aspergers spectrum... I think I might be somewhere on this scale. I guess I could be somewhat awkward back when I first started high school, I didn't really converse with a lot of people, but as time went on and I began to get familiar with the people I've seen through classes and began to open up and made some good friendships in the later years of the HSC year. Not sure if it's come back at the start of University life, given that I really felt overwhelmed with all the noise at our Anime/Manga club's welcoming party and sort of disappeared without a real trace. Hopefully that'll fade away this week since I'll be heading to a few social group activities, like tomorrow's anime screening and the following day's Retro Tuesday.

Even some random habits of body movement that I just observed in a brief talk with my mum about math tutoring, my posture would often shift from hand on hip to arms folded or some infrequent breaks of eye contact. Often when I feel stressed, I'm quite prone to messing around with my hair every now and then (like say I read something I disagree with such as an extremely salty post) or when I am indeed stressed. I think that's what I'll disclose about me with regards to whatever social awkwardness I may have, but hopefully these sort of habits begin to fade away.

And now I finish the night with two last things: a sample of my amiibo collection and a character that may have gotten my interests piqued for Gearbox's Battleborn - Marquis. Overwatch or Borderlands it might not be, but knowing that this game has a single player story mode has my attention, not to mention I quite like this dapper botler so far.

Attachments

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I have a standing appointment with a psychiatrist lol. Though not for asperger-related reasons. I don't have that one, though there are some instances of autism in my family.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm pretty positive I don't have autism/Aspergers. One of my friends has a fairly moderate case of Aspergers, and I was working at a special needs school for the last few months, and most of the kids have moderate to severe autism. From my experience, I can honestly say it really isn't a condition that has constant signs to look for, many autistic children seem to act very differently, often times they even lack patterns at all and are actually very sporadic. It's also a misconception that they are all "anti-social". Many of them are actually very outgoing and WANT to communicate and get along with others, but can easily suffer mood swings or irrational anxiety that makes it very difficult for them to communicate.

As for me, I don't believe I am autistic, just introverted. I just don't really talk if I don't have an urge or reason to. I can converse fine when I want to talk about something or even if I just want to talk to a particular person for the sake of it. However, I have a largely extroverted family and sometimes they make things a bit difficult in that they try to force me to talk about something when I have absolutely no input on it, which can get frustrating. And I generally struggle to communicate in loud, crowded areas. Not because I'm nervous, but because it's usually very difficult to have a real conversation in that instance. Especially when most people there are drunk. I usually just feel plain bored when I'm dragged off to a pub or a big party in a function room with my family.

Burruni

Smash Hero

And Jason Griffith did a condom commercial near the end of his 4kids career. Live action, but the voice was just a slightly more matured version of Sonic.

And to learning about both of these, my friend's reaction was just "What's next, Mike Pollock in an XXX film?!"

And without a damn drop. I just had to reply with "GET A LOAD OF THIS!"

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Well reading through this page was certainly disconcerting. I apparently have a good chunk of symptoms.

I can't look people in the eye and I can barely even babble out a hello, makes working at the till a nightmare. I always feel like a nuisance so I generally stick to myself and avoid people, and any contact with a person I don't know feels wrong to me. My mother has been mad at me before because a friend of hers came up behind me and put her hand on my shoulder, to which my reaction was to freeze up, couldn't help it, that's just what happens when someone makes contact with me... Probably why I'll be alone... I fidget around a lot, I often get obsessed with particular things, quite a few things that I've always been obsessed with...

It's a wonder I've made it this far.

Last edited:

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
And Jason Griffith did a condom commercial near the end of his 4kids career. Live action, but the voice was just a slightly more matured version of Sonic.

And to learning about both of these, my friend's reaction was just "What's next, Mike Pollock in an XXX film?!"

And without a damn drop. I just had to reply with "GET A LOAD OF THIS!"
2 things 1 mike pollok has voiced in shall we say adullt material(as he has disclosed in his brain scratchcomms interview WAAAAAAAY back) and 2 wrong eggman voice actor for "get a load of this" that was dean bristo

Burruni

Smash Hero
2 things 1 mike pollok has voiced in shall we say adullt material(as he has disclosed in his brain scratchcomms interview WAAAAAAAY back) and 2 wrong eggman voice actor for "get a load of this" that was dean bristo
A) Jesus christ that I didn't know.
B) I KNOW BUT THE LINE WAS STILL TOO PERFECT TO NOT USE.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
A) Jesus christ that I didn't know.
B) I KNOW BUT THE LINE WAS STILL TOO PERFECT TO NOT USE.
ya to paraphrase mike pollok most voice actors get their start doing that and yes the line was very apt for the kinds of things im refering to

D

Deleted member

To be honest, my mother thinks that i might have asperger.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I'm pretty introverted, as I don't talk much in groups, but if I do it's mostly a bad joke.
I'm really good at Dutch birthday parties. (And by Dutch I mean boring)
Pretend you're gaming and but you're just thinking of the right pun.
Then repeat.

It's fun you should try it.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
My decision of getting an Xbox One is rising. GameStop has them $50 off and Rare Replay will be $10 off starting tomorrow.

Still deciding if I'll get one used or get it new with a bundle of a game I have no interest in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom