• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Support Ray for Smash! - Custom Robo Discussion Thread

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Because I don't want to derail the Ray support thread further, where would be a good place to discuss LBX?

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Would LBX at least be considered related though? Although it's a different game, it's the same character archetype and is the most recent (and only recent) game that follows that concept? I think since they're similar it could at be considered, at the very least, related.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I wouldn't mind discussing it here as long as the OP and mods are cool with it. I've been getting super stoked about this game (LBX) and want it badly, I even began suffering Custom Robo withdrawls so I scoured by mouse looking for my copy of Arena on 3DS and I CAN'T FIND IT ANYWHERE. I knew I had it in my new apartment at least once, but it's no where to be found. I don't remember selling it when I cleaned house last.

Man...

I had a stack of DS games I liked, it's very possible I sold them all a while back when I was hard up on cash but now I insanely regret it at least for CR Arena, the funny thing is I don't even remember getting rid of it.

Sad.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Would LBX at least be considered related though? Although it's a different game, it's the same character archetype and is the most recent (and only recent) game that follows that concept? I think since they're similar it could at be considered, at the very least, related.
I ain't the mod or the OP, so I'll butt out on this one for determination. Still, it's kinda like the DQ vs. FF situation. Both are RPGs with Turn Based Combat [at least the retro FFs] with heroes who have to defeat the great evil. However, not much intermingling occurs between the two in certain forums. Still, I don't think it would be a problem. So, I remain neutral on this and will let the OP and Mods determine that.
I wouldn't mind discussing it here as long as the OP and mods are cool with it. I've been getting super stoked about this game (LBX) and want it badly, I even began suffering Custom Robo withdrawls so I scoured by mouse looking for my copy of Arena on 3DS and I CAN'T FIND IT ANYWHERE. I knew I had it in my new apartment at least once, but it's no where to be found. I don't remember selling it when I cleaned house last.

Man...

I had a stack of DS games I liked, it's very possible I sold them all a while back when I was hard up on cash but now I insanely regret it at least for CR Arena, the funny thing is I don't even remember getting rid of it.

Sad.
Sucks that you lost the game mate. I hate it whenever I lose a game. I remember when I lost Sonic Advance 2 when I was a kid. SUCH a good GBA game IMHO. I eventually repurchased it when I got paid, but it was excruciatingly painful to not be able to play that game.

Maybe you'll find it again. I find it harder to lose things if I put games in a carry bag or a CD folder. Maybe try that (or digital) in the future?

I use a purple version of
for Portable games and stuff and
for discs.

Last edited:

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
@ dangeraaron10 dangeraaron10

I'm fine with discussing LBX in this thread as I feel like we are just friends who like the CR games and its archtype. It did not feel like anyone here hurt CR discussion by talking about LBX. But, if you want more defined LBX discussion then making an LBX specific thread would probably be a good idea. The LBX thread could be in one of two places, the Nintenzone or the other video game forum (I forget what its called, maybe Lighthouse?).

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Thanks for letting me know. I'm fine with talking about it here because after doing some research there's basically no buzz about this game beyond a couple gamefaqs posters. Everyone else is "Where's my Custom Robo?" and "No online no buy". Makes me worried about its sales. At least here we have people who like the little robot archetype.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
For the record (and for those who are interested), there's a livestream at 2pm EST for the 1st 30 minutes of LBX.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
For the record (and for those who are interested), there's a livestream at 2pm EST for the 1st 30 minutes of LBX.

Wow, the combat looks way better than I thought from the trailer. Definitely gained interest based on what I've seen so far. Probably going to shut off the stream early to refrain from spoils though. Thanks for sharing that stream.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I'd like to know what, in a hypothetical new CR game, they would add in terms of new body types. Seems like we have basis covered. in LBX there's a half-tank Panzer frame, think CR could make use of such? Having Custom Robos roll around on treads sounds like a neat idea, or spider like legs like in Armored Core.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
I'd like to know what, in a hypothetical new CR game, they would add in terms of new body types. Seems like we have basis covered. in LBX there's a half-tank Panzer frame, think CR could make use of such? Having Custom Robos roll around on treads sounds like a neat idea, or spider like legs like in Armored Core.
Spider legs and treads sound interesting. Maybe make them separate robo classes and then have the legs parts be attachments in that case (Formula Legs are still the same thing, but they are attached on the tread or the spider leg). I don't know what to call them though.

This really hurts....

Several sites and responses do show that people do want a new CR game though, so this game might give publicity to Custom Robo (MAYBE) due to fan desires.

This game is getting so much **** it's unreal.

It actually looks very decent, but people will throw poop at it for lacking online and for not being Custom Robo.

I hope this game doesn't bomb in STEAM levels of bad and give Nintendo the idea that Custom Robo won't sell either.
I bet LBX will be good though (it got a "Like It" rating from GX today, an 8 from Nintendo Insider, a 7 from Nintendo Life, and generally scores of 3.5-4 out of 5 on other sites). The lack of online WILL hurt it, but the mechanics look good from the 1st hour gameplay video though. There were a ton of cut scenes at the start of the game, but the gameplay seems great. If it's a revival of anything, it's a revival of Gotcha Force IMHO.

It probably won't sell hotcakes like it did in Japan though. The way they advertised the game in the USA is probably going to hurt it. IIRC, Nintendo advertised it as a game that ties it with the anime on Nickelodeon. It actuality, it's the other way around. The game came 1st and the anime followed afterwards in Japan. The game (and anime) also had some localization changes in dialogue as well (in one case, it was mentioned that a case that Van Yamano (Ban Yamano in USA) received had a Death Lock system that electrocuted an unauthorized person to death. In the localized game and anime, it just knocks the intruder out.). That shouldn't matter though as other games had localization changes to make it seem fit for the west (Bravely Default upped the ages of all of the main characters by a couple of years, Battle Revolution changed several of the portraits to remove some stereotypes that were seen in Japan a lot, and so on).

Overall, I hope LBX does well. I want its good sales to convince Nintendo (and other publishers) that Robot Battling Video Games can do well here if there exists good advertising for the game (a thing that Custom Robo REALLY lacked in the USA). Hey, if they decided to make a new (and somewhat flawed) Star Fox game after 8-9 years (3D doesn't count IMHO), who says that CR can't get a new game after a while? We just gotta convince Nintendo and Noise that a new game should be made.

So the new Smashified comes out today. Make sure you guys vote for Ray to be Smashified on Twitter and Youtube after the video releases at around 3!
Good to know! My bet is on Kumatora due to the pink hair schpiel that I read on one of your posts on a thread. To be honest, if it wasn't for the "talkative" hint, I would've thought that it was X-Ray from the GBA Custom Robo GX game due to him having Pink Hair and a (mostly) blue body.

I'll be sure to vote again on the YouTube video (whenever that gets released).

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Good to know! My bet is on Kumatora due to the pink hair schpiel that I read on one of your posts on a thread. To be honest, if it wasn't for the "talkative" hint, I would've thought that it was X-Ray from the GBA Custom Robo GX game due to him having Pink Hair and a (mostly) blue body.

I'll be sure to vote again on the YouTube video (whenever that gets released).
Its Isaac. The logo on their Twitter account is based off Golden Sun, and Isaac's Smashified music came out. They recolored the hair for that hint.

Last edited:

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Its Isaac. The logo on their Twitter account is based off Golden Sun, and Isaac's Smashified music came out. They recolored the hair for that hint.
Ah. Forgot they had a twitter.

Edit: The head feels VERY off to me. Something about it strikes me the wrong way, but the head does seem a bit off. That and the sword used seemed to resemble a Long Sword (Atk +14) or a Broad Sword (Atk +40). I did like that they made a 3d model, but it kinda looks a BIT off to me.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Ah. Forgot they had a twitter.

Edit: The head feels VERY off to me. Something about it strikes me the wrong way, but the head does seem a bit off. That and the sword used seemed to resemble a Long Sword (Atk +14) or a Broad Sword (Atk +40). I did like that they made a 3d model, but it kinda looks a BIT off to me.
It's the eyes. That's the only bad looking part, but it makes the entire model look bad imho. Hide the head and the rest looks great though!!

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
If I opted to buy LBX at full price on the Eshop and have it preloaded I could have been playing it in about an hour.

I figured out I had 10 dollars left on an old gamestop gift card and opted to just pre-order it there to save some money, so I'll only have to wait an extra night which is fine. At least it's the weekend.

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
If I opted to buy LBX at full price on the Eshop and have it preloaded I could have been playing it in about an hour.

I figured out I had 10 dollars left on an old gamestop gift card and opted to just pre-order it there to save some money, so I'll only have to wait an extra night which is fine. At least it's the weekend.
Unfortunately it comes to Australia September 5th. I've got a deposit down at my local gamestore but the waiting is painful. I'll have to try and avoid spoilers for the next 2 weeks.

I think I'll enjoy the game mostly for it's story rather than it's gameplay. I enjoy a good campaign and this game seems to value characters and plot.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Unfortunately it comes to Australia September 5th. I've got a deposit down at my local gamestore but the waiting is painful. I'll have to try and avoid spoilers for the next 2 weeks.

I think I'll enjoy the game mostly for it's story rather than it's gameplay. I enjoy a good campaign and this game seems to value characters and plot.
I am not sure the exact length of the story, but I think it's in the several of dozens including sidequests, with up to 80 hours of post story content so it said. This game certainly does NOT skimp on its single player, which is great, considering it has no online multiplayer.

I just want to know one thing: Is there some sort of training mode in LBX where you can try out new builds in a map of your choice, just to sort of chill and play around with various new builds and weapons and powers and such?

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Well, managed to get to chapter 2 of LBX. It's a fun game, but there are some gripes that I do have with the game. My main gripes are the following so far:
  1. There is a pretty big difficulty spike in the game at the beginning if you choose to not use a gun weapon. Guns are VERY useful in the game. In fact, one of your weapons should ALWAYS be a gun. The other weapon combo I suggest is the Staff and Shield combo (Lances as said in my wall of text [they changed some of the names when localizing this game]). Basically, have a tanky set-up for close range combat and have a quick set-up for long range combat. Swords are weaker but have more combo potential while Clubs are shield breakers (serious, get away from a Panzer that has a Club. They are BROKEN unless if you have a gun). And the Knuckles [I forgot what they localized them to] are for quick hits. But yeah, this game is VERY TOUGH in certain instances (especially if the opponent uses a gun or a club). My advice is to equip a shield and staff in one set and a gun (either a single, twin, or two handed) in the other set. Other times, however, this game is VERY easy. The random encounters during the Slums area have you face against LBXs that are around level 3 or 4 or so while you are around level 9 (or 12 in my case).
  2. The voice acting is great in the cut-scenes and events. However, it gets kinda grating during the in battle quips that are made in battles when you start one. A minor complaint overall, but it's something that got to me. However, like I said, the voice acting is great in the cut-scenes.
  3. Parts of the same frame, part type, and level pretty much have the same exact stats. The AX-00 Head Part (a Knight Frame part) at level 9 had the same stats as a Bishop Head Part (another Knight Frame) at level 9. Same thing with Achilles Head Part (another Knight Frame) at level 9. The only difference I saw was the appearance. So, despite getting the new (and supposedly stronger) Achilles part at level 6 (IIRC, it was 6), I had my AX-00 at Level 15 with much higher stats (it had 18 more LP and 9 more DF per part, so a total of 90 LP and 45 DF more than the Achilles set). So, I COULD stay with my AX-00 and just breeze through the rest of the game. So yeah, while there are a ton of LBXs of the same frame, most of them BASICALLY have the same stats at the same grade and level. Also, while you can mix and match parts, if you have parts all from the same series (i.e. you have all of your parts from the Strider-F family), you CAN get bonuses and special EX attacks. So, the game does encourage you to have parts within the same set. You don't HAVE to though, but it does encourage it.
  4. Combat does feel a bit stiff to me. Could be that I'm used to the fluidity of Custom Robo and Gotcha Force, but I can tell that there is some ending lag after doing an aerial dash or a double jump. That being said, I did find a hidden exploit when using staffs/lances. If you are doing the air to ground diving attack, you can cancel the bounce by quickly opening and closing the item menu. It does cancel the 2nd hit of the attack, but it is useful for when you miss the attack.
  5. The maintenance gauge. Oh boy, I really hate this gauge. If you run out of Grease (which is not likely to happen to be honest), you will only obtain a VERY small fraction of EXP after clearing a battle. Sure, Navarre's does give you a free tune-up when you drop by the shop. However, when you are in the 1st dungeon area, Amy's Kunoichi will die a LOT during Unlimited Regulation battles. If an LBX dies during an Unlimited Regulation battle, they are destroyed, which puts them at a big fat 0 in their maintenance gauge. If there was a quick and non-inventory based way to give maintenance points to an LBX while away from Navarre's, I wouldn't complain. Custom Robo Arena did this correctly by giving you a Normal Cloth as well as Super and Dirty cloths. You could use a Super Cloth or one of those cleaner robos [they were expensive though] to quicken the process, but you always had a normal cloth whenever you had the time and/or lacked the funds. I didn't see any issues with the gauge when it wasn't at 0 though, so it isn't THAT bad. I can understand it being an anti-grinding mechanic.
  6. You guys already know this, but there lacks online multiplayer. However, I don't use it that much, so it's not THAT much of a biggie. However, having an online mode would allow me to play more with some of my friends that live far away (like you guys).
That being said, this game does have a lot of nice bits as well. My favorite parts:
  1. Variety of weapon styles are great! That being said, all swords (and all weapons of a particular type [barring some guns, which have sub-types within their types]) operate the same. It basically acts like how it does in Monster Hunter. So, mainly focus on elements and stats when dealing with weapon equips.
  2. The story is great. The 1st part did kinda build up to a pretty easy chapter boss fight though (they even do a tutorial with a special gambling feature that can guarantee drops [nifty technique I have to say]). However, the script is phenomenal for a robot game. And the nifty thing is that I am only at chapter 2 after 5 hours of gameplay. This game doesn't disappoint in the story area IMHO. You can expect some standard tropes though (could just be me after seeing a ton of movies though).
  3. I LOVE the Core Unit customization. Reminds me a TON of the days of when I was a kid as I played a TON of Mega Man Battle Network back in the day. This is one of the few features that I hope Custom Robo actually decides to use in the future (maybe with abilities or MINOR stat changes [like +1 speed stat for a robo]). I SERIOUSLY hope this is added to CR somehow. Also, the Core Unit expands for a character when they (not the LBX) hit Level 15 and 35.
  4. The party system allows you to customize 2 other LBXs in addition to your own. Basically, you have 3 LBXs to work with, but you can only control 1 of them at a time. You can switch between LBXs on the same field when in battle ala Tales of Symphonia though [pause the game, then choose the character]. I never used this feature though. You can also choose which one you play as during non-Story essential parts of the story.
  5. Combos exist in the game (not as creative as in Custom Robo though [more in line with Gotcha Force here]). You can do an easy 5 hit combo if you do the staff's 3 hit regular combo and then follow with a forward (if your LBX is facing left, you hold left) + Y attack right afterwards. The tension gauge and knockdown mechanics prevent infinite combos that deal devastating damage though (if you are out of tension or the opponent is knocked down, your attack drops to a VERY low level). Plus, the opponent has brief invincibility when they recover from a knockdown.
  6. Quests like the Jobs BBS from Mega Man Battle Network 2, 3, and 6 are in the game. They are pretty addicting and can get you bonuses that don't appear anywhere else in some cases. I loved the Jobs BBS in BN 2, 3, and 6, so this is a welcome addition to the game. I do dislike the "find the item" quests though due to the item being represented as a flashing light as opposed to an actual object. The wiki does have all of the solutions to the quests though, so you CAN look them up if you wanted to.
  7. Graphics fit the atmosphere. However, you can tell that it is a 2012 game. Still, not bad at all IMHO (plus I am not that concerned about graphics to be honest). Art Design also fits. Also, the animated cut-scenes are nice (though there are a couple of quick 2 second long ones).
  8. There is an arrow on the bottom screen that tells you where you need to go. Pretty helpful in guiding you when you are lost. However, there aren't that many boundaries of where you can't go once the location is opened up on the map. There are also some treasure chest that are hidden on the map. You get some minor things though.
  9. This game has free DLC in several forms. They have cards (which I have no clue what they do). In addition, you know those old quarter machines that give you free but random toy when you twist the knob? Those things also get free DLC. Lastly, I think some quests are DLC as well. Not sure though.
  10. There exists a password machine that unlocks parts that can be purchased at Navarre's. All of them are available in the Japanese version, but only some are known in the localized verision. This point and point 9 REALLY remind me of the Chip Trader and Number Trader machines from Battle Network (however, the former takes money instead of chips and the latter puts it in the shop menu as opposed to just giving it to you).
  11. You can basically sell anything (besides key LBXs like AX-00 and Achilles [maybe]) that you don't need. This is also one of the few ways you can get $$ in the game (the other is through Quests). If you see medals, those are basically the money makers right there. The worst medal gives you 2,000-3,000 credits (I forgot the exact value) easily, so you definitely won't go broke if you fight a lot.
Overall, I'd give this game an 8.45 out of 10 (for comparison, I gave BR a 9.5, V2 a 9.35, CR1 a 9.1, Arena a 9.25, GX a 7.5, Smash Wii U a 9.5, Wind Waker a 9.5, Metroid Prime Trilogy a 9.5, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle an 8.2, M&L:SSS a 9, etc.). It's definitely a very good game. However, it ain't a replacement to Custom Robo like some people fear. That's mainly because it's different. That's right. It's not a Custom Robo clone at all. Sure, the premise of kids/teens/adults having tiny robots fight for them might be similar. However, that's where the similarities end. If I had to compare LBX to a different game that I have played, it's a mix of Gotcha Force's combat (though a bit slower), Mega Man Battle Network's Navi Customizer (though less restrictive than a build that lacks the Bug Stop program), Monster Hunter's weapon system, Medabots' head/left arm/right arm/leg system for aesthetics (though torsos are added in LBX and it's a LOT more stat driven in LBX), and a standard RPG's item system. It's a mix of games.

That being said, I do prefer Custom Robo to this game. The combat in the CR series is MUCH faster in pacing (LBX does feel a bit slow despite attacks dealing a lot more damage overall) and feels more fluid overall. In addition, I REALLY prefer Custom Robo's way of customization a LOT more. Robos in CR are a LOT more unique thanks to the customization in said series being focused more on how the robo attacks as opposed to LBX's focus on stat based customization. Could be personal preference, but that's how it is to me.

Will I continue to support the LBX series? ABSOLUTELY. The game is great and I love it. If they treat it right, it can turn out to be great overall. I just hope Nintendo and Noise create some more CR games. Never hurts to have some competition on the market IMHO. More competition means a greater drive to make their games better.

tl;dr: It is a great game, but it isn't a replacement to Custom Robo due to the two series being completely different in Gameplay. I HIGHLY recommend this game to robot lovers and those who love Mega Man Battle Network's Navi Customizer, Monster Hunter's Weapon System, and Gotcha Force's gameplay. I do prefer CR to LBX in both Combat and Customization, but LBX is pretty darn good. Plus, the Story of LBX is great IMHO.

I am not sure the exact length of the story, but I think it's in the several of dozens including sidequests, with up to 80 hours of post story content so it said. This game certainly does NOT skimp on its single player, which is great, considering it has no online multiplayer.

I just want to know one thing: Is there some sort of training mode in LBX where you can try out new builds in a map of your choice, just to sort of chill and play around with various new builds and weapons and powers and such?
From what I could tell, there doesn't exist a Training Mode like in Fighting Games or like in Custom Robo (unless if they REALLY hid it well). I wish there was though. That being said, there are some weak opponents outside Navarre's that can be fought against without TOO much worry.

If you like story driven games, this is a good game IMHO. Gameplay ain't too shabby either (CR and Gotcha Force has better gameplay IMHO), so it shouldn't be bad at all. Just be sure to get a shield and a pistol ASAP. A pistol is given to you pretty early in the story though.

It's the eyes. That's the only bad looking part, but it makes the entire model look bad imho. Hide the head and the rest looks great though!!
Yeah, I have to agree with you there. The eyes are the main issue. The hair does kinda leave me hanging as well. Otherwise, not too bad.

You won't be disappointed if you take this game as a new game that isn't meant to replace another game series like other people try to do. If you don't treat it as a Custom Robo replacement (which it isn't at all due to them having very different styles of customization and gameplay), then you'll enjoy it thoroughly. :)

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Well, managed to get to chapter 2 of LBX. It's a fun game, but there are some gripes that I do have with the game. My main gripes are the following so far:
  1. There is a pretty big difficulty spike in the game at the beginning if you choose to not use a gun weapon. Guns are VERY useful in the game. In fact, one of your weapons should ALWAYS be a gun. The other weapon combo I suggest is the Staff and Shield combo (Lances as said in my wall of text [they changed some of the names when localizing this game]). Basically, have a tanky set-up for close range combat and have a quick set-up for long range combat. Swords are weaker but have more combo potential while Clubs are shield breakers (serious, get away from a Panzer that has a Club. They are BROKEN unless if you have a gun). And the Knuckles [I forgot what they localized them to] are for quick hits. But yeah, this game is VERY TOUGH in certain instances (especially if the opponent uses a gun or a club). My advice is to equip a shield and staff in one set and a gun (either a single, twin, or two handed) in the other set. Other times, however, this game is VERY easy. The random encounters during the Slums area have you face against LBXs that are around level 3 or 4 or so while you are around level 9 (or 12 in my case).
  2. The voice acting is great in the cut-scenes and events. However, it gets kinda grating during the in battle quips that are made in battles when you start one. A minor complaint overall, but it's something that got to me. However, like I said, the voice acting is great in the cut-scenes.
  3. Parts of the same frame, part type, and level pretty much have the same exact stats. The AX-00 Head Part (a Knight Frame part) at level 9 had the same stats as a Bishop Head Part (another Knight Frame) at level 9. Same thing with Achilles Head Part (another Knight Frame) at level 9. The only difference I saw was the appearance. So, despite getting the new (and supposedly stronger) Achilles part at level 6 (IIRC, it was 6), I had my AX-00 at Level 15 with much higher stats (it had 18 more LP and 9 more DF per part, so a total of 90 LP and 45 DF more than the Achilles set). So, I COULD stay with my AX-00 and just breeze through the rest of the game. So yeah, while there are a ton of LBXs of the same frame, most of them BASICALLY have the same stats at the same grade and level. Also, while you can mix and match parts, if you have parts all from the same series (i.e. you have all of your parts from the Strider-F family), you CAN get bonuses and special EX attacks. So, the game does encourage you to have parts within the same set. You don't HAVE to though, but it does encourage it.
  4. Combat does feel a bit stiff to me. Could be that I'm used to the fluidity of Custom Robo and Gotcha Force, but I can tell that there is some ending lag after doing an aerial dash or a double jump. That being said, I did find a hidden exploit when using staffs/lances. If you are doing the air to ground diving attack, you can cancel the bounce by quickly opening and closing the item menu. It does cancel the 2nd hit of the attack, but it is useful for when you miss the attack.
  5. The maintenance gauge. Oh boy, I really hate this gauge. If you run out of Grease (which is not likely to happen to be honest), you will only obtain a VERY small fraction of EXP after clearing a battle. Sure, Navarre's does give you a free tune-up when you drop by the shop. However, when you are in the 1st dungeon area, Amy's Kunoichi will die a LOT during Unlimited Regulation battles. If an LBX dies during an Unlimited Regulation battle, they are destroyed, which puts them at a big fat 0 in their maintenance gauge. If there was a quick and non-inventory based way to give maintenance points to an LBX while away from Navarre's, I wouldn't complain. Custom Robo Arena did this correctly by giving you a Normal Cloth as well as Super and Dirty cloths. You could use a Super Cloth or one of those cleaner robos [they were expensive though] to quicken the process, but you always had a normal cloth whenever you had the time and/or lacked the funds. I didn't see any issues with the gauge when it wasn't at 0 though, so it isn't THAT bad. I can understand it being an anti-grinding mechanic.
  6. You guys already know this, but there lacks online multiplayer. However, I don't use it that much, so it's not THAT much of a biggie. However, having an online mode would allow me to play more with some of my friends that live far away (like you guys).
That being said, this game does have a lot of nice bits as well. My favorite parts:
  1. Variety of weapon styles are great! That being said, all swords (and all weapons of a particular type [barring some guns, which have sub-types within their types]) operate the same. It basically acts like how it does in Monster Hunter. So, mainly focus on elements and stats when dealing with weapon equips.
  2. The story is great. The 1st part did kinda build up to a pretty easy chapter boss fight though (they even do a tutorial with a special gambling feature that can guarantee drops [nifty technique I have to say]). However, the script is phenomenal for a robot game. And the nifty thing is that I am only at chapter 2 after 5 hours of gameplay. This game doesn't disappoint in the story area IMHO. You can expect some standard tropes though (could just be me after seeing a ton of movies though).
  3. I LOVE the Core Unit customization. Reminds me a TON of the days of when I was a kid as I played a TON of Mega Man Battle Network back in the day. This is one of the few features that I hope Custom Robo actually decides to use in the future (maybe with abilities or MINOR stat changes [like +1 speed stat for a robo]). I SERIOUSLY hope this is added to CR somehow. Also, the Core Unit expands for a character when they (not the LBX) hit Level 15 and 35.
  4. The party system allows you to customize 2 other LBXs in addition to your own. Basically, you have 3 LBXs to work with, but you can only control 1 of them at a time. You can switch between LBXs on the same field when in battle ala Tales of Symphonia though [pause the game, then choose the character]. I never used this feature though. You can also choose which one you play as during non-Story essential parts of the story.
  5. Combos exist in the game (not as creative as in Custom Robo though [more in line with Gotcha Force here]). You can do an easy 5 hit combo if you do the staff's 3 hit regular combo and then follow with a forward (if your LBX is facing left, you hold left) + Y attack right afterwards. The tension gauge and knockdown mechanics prevent infinite combos that deal devastating damage though (if you are out of tension or the opponent is knocked down, your attack drops to a VERY low level). Plus, the opponent has brief invincibility when they recover from a knockdown.
  6. Quests like the Jobs BBS from Mega Man Battle Network 2, 3, and 6 are in the game. They are pretty addicting and can get you bonuses that don't appear anywhere else in some cases. I loved the Jobs BBS in BN 2, 3, and 6, so this is a welcome addition to the game. I do dislike the "find the item" quests though due to the item being represented as a flashing light as opposed to an actual object. The wiki does have all of the solutions to the quests though, so you CAN look them up if you wanted to.
  7. Graphics fit the atmosphere. However, you can tell that it is a 2012 game. Still, not bad at all IMHO (plus I am not that concerned about graphics to be honest). Art Design also fits. Also, the animated cut-scenes are nice (though there are a couple of quick 2 second long ones).
  8. There is an arrow on the bottom screen that tells you where you need to go. Pretty helpful in guiding you when you are lost. However, there aren't that many boundaries of where you can't go once the location is opened up on the map. There are also some treasure chest that are hidden on the map. You get some minor things though.
  9. This game has free DLC in several forms. They have cards (which I have no clue what they do). In addition, you know those old quarter machines that give you free but random toy when you twist the knob? Those things also get free DLC. Lastly, I think some quests are DLC as well. Not sure though.
  10. There exists a password machine that unlocks parts that can be purchased at Navarre's. All of them are available in the Japanese version, but only some are known in the localized verision. This point and point 9 REALLY remind me of the Chip Trader and Number Trader machines from Battle Network (however, the former takes money instead of chips and the latter puts it in the shop menu as opposed to just giving it to you).
  11. You can basically sell anything (besides key LBXs like AX-00 and Achilles [maybe]) that you don't need. This is also one of the few ways you can get $$ in the game (the other is through Quests). If you see medals, those are basically the money makers right there. The worst medal gives you 2,000-3,000 credits (I forgot the exact value) easily, so you definitely won't go broke if you fight a lot.
Overall, I'd give this game an 8.45 out of 10 (for comparison, I gave BR a 9.5, V2 a 9.35, CR1 a 9.1, Arena a 9.25, GX a 7.5, Smash Wii U a 9.5, Wind Waker a 9.5, Metroid Prime Trilogy a 9.5, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle an 8.2, M&L:SSS a 9, etc.). It's definitely a very good game. However, it ain't a replacement to Custom Robo like some people fear. That's mainly because it's different. That's right. It's not a Custom Robo clone at all. Sure, the premise of kids/teens/adults having tiny robots fight for them might be similar. However, that's where the similarities end. If I had to compare LBX to a different game that I have played, it's a mix of Gotcha Force's combat (though a bit slower), Mega Man Battle Network's Navi Customizer (though less restrictive than a build that lacks the Bug Stop program), Monster Hunter's weapon system, Medabots' head/left arm/right arm/leg system for aesthetics (though torsos are added in LBX and it's a LOT more stat driven in LBX), and a standard RPG's item system. It's a mix of games.

That being said, I do prefer Custom Robo to this game. The combat in the CR series is MUCH faster in pacing (LBX does feel a bit slow despite attacks dealing a lot more damage overall) and feels more fluid overall. In addition, I REALLY prefer Custom Robo's way of customization a LOT more. Robos in CR are a LOT more unique thanks to the customization in said series being focused more on how the robo attacks as opposed to LBX's focus on stat based customization. Could be personal preference, but that's how it is to me.

Will I continue to support the LBX series? ABSOLUTELY. The game is great and I love it. If they treat it right, it can turn out to be great overall. I just hope Nintendo and Noise create some more CR games. Never hurts to have some competition on the market IMHO. More competition means a greater drive to make their games better.

tl;dr: It is a great game, but it isn't a replacement to Custom Robo due to the two series being completely different in Gameplay. I HIGHLY recommend this game to robot lovers and those who love Mega Man Battle Network's Navi Customizer, Monster Hunter's Weapon System, and Gotcha Force's gameplay. I do prefer CR to LBX in both Combat and Customization, but LBX is pretty darn good. Plus, the Story of LBX is great IMHO.

From what I could tell, there doesn't exist a Training Mode like in Fighting Games or like in Custom Robo (unless if they REALLY hit it well). I wish there was though. That being said, there are some weak opponents outside Navarre's that can be fought against without TOO much worry.

If you like story driven games, this is a good game IMHO. Gameplay ain't too shabby either (CR and Gotcha Force has better gameplay IMHO), so it shouldn't be bad at all. Just be sure to get a shield and a pistol ASAP. A pistol is given to you pretty early in the story though.

Yeah, I have to agree with you there. The eyes are the main issue. The hair does kinda leave me hanging as well. Otherwise, not too bad.

You won't be disappointed if you take this game as a new game that isn't meant to replace another game series like other people try to do. If you don't treat it as a Custom Robo replacement (which it isn't at all due to them having very different styles of customization and gameplay), then you'll enjoy it thoroughly. :)
Dude you write like full essay's worth of stuff on this thread.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
For those who desire passwords (I forgot to mention them), here are 7 of them:

w0LFGUnr
4x3grIND
8aDDr3am
op3nD80x
alFa7H3r
8igs7iCK
HIghn3$$

Also, be sure to check the download option every week. There is weekly Free DLC for the game. I highly recommend that you don't miss out on it.

Dude you write like full essay's worth of stuff on this thread.
Yeah, I have a bad habit of that for some reason. Dunno why. My posts can easily be divided into 3-5 posts EASILY. You can basically categorize me as a person who makes stream of consciousness posts.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero

w0LFGUnr
4x3grIND
8aDDR3am
op3nD80x
alFa7H3r
8igs7iCK
HIghn3$$

Also, be sure to check the download option every week. There is weekly Free DLC for the game. I highly recommend that you don't miss out on it.

Yeah, I have a bad habit of that for some reason. Dunno why. My posts can easily be divided into 3-5 posts EASILY. You can basically categorize me as a person who makes stream of consciousness posts.
Believe you me, you're not the only one!;)

dangeraaron10

Smash Master

From what I could tell, there doesn't exist a Training Mode like in Fighting Games or like in Custom Robo (unless if they REALLY hit it well). I wish there was though. That being said, there are some weak opponents outside Navarre's that can be fought against without TOO much worry.

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar. Thank you for this write up. Honestly, even coming from a die hard Custom Robo fan you gave this game a very fair score. I think this should truly be passed around various review sites for consideration.

I'm not going into this game expecting Custom Robo or something that will replace it. I'm going in wanting to scratch that Custom Robo "itch" for small battling robots that are highly customizable. I feel as though I will not be disappointed. I only wish there was a way to test builds in a stress free environment. Also, I have the game now! I'm going to fire it up and see how it goes!

I am just passed the first cutscene and this stuff is hype. The voice acting is surprisingly good. A bit cheesy but in a good way. A good saturday morning cartoon feel which I adore.

Edit: And thanks for the passwords!

w0LFGUnr
4x3grIND
8aDDR3am
op3nD80x
alFa7H3r
8igs7iCK
HIghn3$$

IMPORTANT:

The password 8aDDR3am is actually 8aDDr3am

Edit yet again: HOLY HOT DAMN
is this game unforgiving in the early stages. Without going into spoiler territory, when you first get your AX-00 and leave your mom's house for the first time, the game will chew up and spit out your pathetically unarmored little bot. You'll be forced to battle a classmate the moment you leave your house before you get a chance to get more equipment and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about. Trying to rush in and clobber him with your bulls**t stick like you did the previous enemies will get you killed. I almost thought you were MEANT to lose at first. Nope. I just needed to get gud. You need to hide like a coward behind a stone pillar until the enemy is forced to reload (it will tell you when he is) or swings his axe (and hopefully misses you, otherwise a third of your health is gone instantly) is to run in, do your combo to knock him on his arse, and then run for the hills and repeat the process.

(To be specific, guess what bot he uses? A Panzer (one that rolls around on treads) with a CLUB and HANDGUN, the setup @ The One Who Wrote This The One Who Wrote This mentioned is broken as hell without a gun equipped. Not just this fight but several other random fights walking around town use this setup)

I WOULD have recommended buying the Trooper set, which you have just enough money too...but on close examination...the Trooper set has the same armor and stats as your NAKED FRICKIN BOT. Don't buy, unless you think it just looks rad and you have to have it. Waste of credits.

Last edited:

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
You sir are a gentleman and a scholar. Thank you for this write up. Honestly, even coming from a die hard Custom Robo fan you gave this game a very fair score. I think this should truly be passed around various review sites for consideration.

I'm not going into this game expecting Custom Robo or something that will replace it. I'm going in wanting to scratch that Custom Robo "itch" for small battling robots that are highly customizable. I feel as though I will not be disappointed. I only wish there was a way to test builds in a stress free environment. Also, I have the game now! I'm going to fire it up and see how it goes!

I am just passed the first cutscene and this stuff is hype. The voice acting is surprisingly good. A bit cheesy but in a good way. A good saturday morning cartoon feel which I adore.

Edit: And thanks for the passwords!

IMPORTANT:

The password 8aDDR3am is actually 8aDDr3am

Edit yet again: HOLY HOT DAMN
is this game unforgiving in the early stages. Without going into spoiler territory, when you first get your AX-00 and leave your mom's house for the first time, the game will chew up and spit out your pathetically unarmored little bot. You'll be forced to battle a classmate the moment you leave your house before you get a chance to get more equipment and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about. Trying to rush in and clobber him with your bulls**t stick like you did the previous enemies will get you killed. I almost thought you were MEANT to lose at first. Nope. I just needed to get gud. You need to hide like a coward behind a stone pillar until the enemy is forced to reload (it will tell you when he is) or swings his axe (and hopefully misses you, otherwise a third of your health is gone instantly) is to run in, do your combo to knock him on his arse, and then run for the hills and repeat the process.

(To be specific, guess what bot he uses? A Panzer (one that rolls around on treads) with a CLUB and HANDGUN, the setup @ The One Who Wrote This The One Who Wrote This mentioned is broken as hell without a gun equipped. Not just this fight but several other random fights walking around town use this setup)

I WOULD have recommended buying the Trooper set, which you have just enough money too...but on close examination...the Trooper set has the same armor and stats as your NAKED FRICKIN BOT. Don't buy, unless you think it just looks rad and you have to have it. Waste of credits.
Yep! Parts within the same frame have the same stats at the same grade and AC for the most part. The main difference between LBXs within the same frame and grade are looks for the most part. Also, Trooper is a somewhat common drop. This issue is gripe #3 of my review.

Also, Panzers (or whatever they localized them to be [I forgot]) are broken with Guns and Clubs unless if you have a Gun yourself. They really should've worked on the difficulty scaling a BIT. The beginning is SUPER hard while chapter 2 (and the rest of the game at this point) is SUPER easy (I beat the 1st half of the boss battle without taking any damage and the 2nd half while taking little to no damage). This issue is gripe #1 of my review.

Also, for the record, GX gave 5 new passwords:

kuNaI807
ChaiN$aW
Fir3ClaW
H3eL8L0k
PiNp0in7

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Hey, hey, hey! Looks like Ray is doing very decent in Japan! http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/08/22/japantopdlcpart1/
Good to hear that Ray is currently still being requested at a good level. I kinda do wish that he was a bit higher on the rankings, but at least he has a pretty good amount of support. Custom Robo still is somewhat popular in Japan from what I could tell.

Right up there with Isaac actually!

I think it's time for Ray Smashified, eh? Eh!?
As long as they stay true to the roots of his design (and not mess up the eyes), I would be down for that. I voted for Ray in the who Smashified thing again.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Good to hear that Ray is currently still being requested at a good level. I kinda do wish that he was a bit higher on the rankings, but at least he has a pretty good amount of support. Custom Robo still is somewhat popular in Japan from what I could tell.

As long as they stay true to the roots of his design (and not mess up the eyes), I would be down for that. I voted for Ray in the who Smashified thing again.

Hmm...what level or parts would you recommend for Hanz? Right now Dual Auto Pistols on AX-00 is what I'm running with. My strategy is to run around in circles like a coward avoiding bullets until they reload where I proceed to unleash bullet hell on their faces, taking half the health of a Panzer or more from anyone else before running away with metal tail between legs and rinse and repeat.

Okay, your fight with the first boss, Hanz.

Rigged as ****

Don't bother expending all your battery life during the first phase where he's invincible. He's going to take Trooper out of the fight and it will be Achilles (who is FORCED upon you, lance+shield and only a single handgun, but you are practically forced into the lance and shield anyway) and Kunoichi. The battle goes pretty straight forward to a point but Destroyer does a special attack routine every 10 goddamn seconds, and if he targets your ally they will get hit every time instead of dodging it.

Finally once he loses enough health, yet another cutscene happens, and you apparently have to perform a special attack with Achilles. IF he dies you lose, even if Kunoichi is still alive, because Destroyer will always regain a tiny bit of health on a lethal blow unless you do it exactly how the game tells you which is absolute bull****. Several hours in on the first boss and more ****ing tutorials.

Edit again:

Okay, I beat Hanz this time. He's actually quite the combo food himself now that I just focused on Lance/Shield Achilles. In the final phase I just popped a thunder thrust on him and took him out.

I'm not as mad anymore. Still though.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I love his posts though. Every character thread needs a The One Who Wrote This. @ The One Who Wrote This The One Who Wrote This your posts aren't a product of bad habit IMHO, their really informative, thank you for the LBX write-up.
I personally don't like reading huge amounts of text (unless I'm interested in the topic. Not too interested on LBX but I did enjoy his Custom Robo summary that he wrote me (at least I think he wrote it, might have been someone else).

Last edited:

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Hmm...what level or parts would you recommend for Hanz? Right now Dual Auto Pistols on AX-00 is what I'm running with. My strategy is to run around in circles like a coward avoiding bullets until they reload where I proceed to unleash bullet hell on their faces, taking half the health of a Panzer or more from anyone else before running away with metal tail between legs and rinse and repeat.

Okay, your fight with the first boss, Hanz.

Rigged as ****

Don't bother expending all your battery life during the first phase where he's invincible. He's going to take Trooper out of the fight and it will be Achilles (who is FORCED upon you, lance+shield and only a single handgun, but you are practically forced into the lance and shield anyway) and Kunoichi. The battle goes pretty straight forward to a point but Destroyer does a special attack routine every 10 goddamn seconds, and if he targets your ally they will get hit every time instead of dodging it.

Finally once he loses enough health, yet another cutscene happens, and you apparently have to perform a special attack with Achilles. IF he dies you lose, even if Kunoichi is still alive, because Destroyer will always regain a tiny bit of health on a lethal blow unless you do it exactly how the game tells you which is absolute bull****. Several hours in on the first boss and more ****ing tutorials.

This game is getting under my skin FAST. Custom Robo was way more straight forward than this.

Shoot them, trap them, and bomb them until they're dead. The vast majority of fights in Custom Robo. Simple, straight forward, easy to remember.
There are a couple of battles where you are forced to see a cutscene where you are supposedly losing. There is a battle with an LBX known as Harlequin where it splits into 3. Thing is, I was about to take out the main one with my Lightning Strike SAR. A cutscene occurred where it showed me with little to no HP (even though I had almost full health after using a healing item). I never liked forced tutorials, outcomes, and cutscenes within a boss battle (especially the whole automatically losing to Vile/Vava schpiel in Mega Man X and the Infinite Soul Boost battle with Hadron (the 3rd battle was epic though)).

I do have to agree with you about CR's combat as well. Simpler gameplay can sometimes give more depth and enjoyment than games SPECIFICALLY designed with depth. People in old CR posts found ways to apply the Air Dash as a Wave Dash similar to Super Smash Bros. Melee. I can't see how LBX can copy that. That being said, CR battles aren't repetitive due to how there are different loadouts that affect playstyles. Your playstyle adapts to their loadout. In LBX, I just check the weapon that the opponent has and then decide on whether I bait them to death or rush them down. I literally just have 2 strategies with that game: play chicken like you said you do (facing against a Panzer with a Club & Gun) or get close with the dash and mash Y->Y->Y->Forward + Y -> Guard while opponent is knocked down and you're cooling off -> Repeat (pretty much everyone else). It kinda gets a BIT repetitive after due to the fact that customization is stat based, not attack based (barring weapons, of course).

I love his posts though. Every character thread needs a The One Who Wrote This. @ The One Who Wrote This The One Who Wrote This your posts aren't a product of bad habit IMHO, their really informative, thank you for the LBX write-up.
No prob mate! Thanks for the warm words mate! :)

I personally don't like reading huge amounts of text (unless I'm interested in the topic. Not too interested on LBX but I did enjoy his Custom Robo summary that he wrote me (at least I think he wrote it, might have been someone else).
I guess you didn't like the review then. I'll take that into consideration next time I make one.

I'll try to put spoilers on my future LBX related posts as this is a Custom Robo board (reason why I mention LBX a bit is because people liken it to CR for some reason). However, I won't spoiler CR related posts unless if it is SUPER long or it contains spoiler worthy material. I also don't spoiler moveset posts (as you saw with my Sylux moveset post).

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
There are a couple of battles where you are forced to see a cutscene where you are supposedly losing. There is a battle with an LBX known as Harlequin where it splits into 3. Thing is, I was about to take out the main one with my Lightning Strike SAR. A cutscene occurred where it showed me with little to no HP (even though I had almost full health after using a healing item). I never liked forced tutorials, outcomes, and cutscenes within a boss battle (especially the whole automatically losing to Vile/Vava schpiel in Mega Man X and the Infinite Soul Boost battle with Hadron (the 3rd battle was epic though)).

I do have to agree with you about CR's combat as well. Simpler gameplay can sometimes give more depth and enjoyment than games SPECIFICALLY designed with depth. People in old CR posts found ways to apply the Air Dash as a Wave Dash similar to Super Smash Bros. Melee. I can't see how LBX can copy that. That being said, CR battles aren't repetitive due to how there are different loadouts that affect playstyles. Your playstyle adapts to their loadout. In LBX, I just check the weapon that the opponent has and then decide on whether I bait them to death or rush them down. I literally just have 2 strategies with that game: play chicken like you said you do (facing against a Panzer with a Club & Gun) or get close with the dash and mash Y->Y->Y->Forward + Y -> Guard while opponent is knocked down and you're cooling off -> Repeat (pretty much everyone else). It kinda gets a BIT repetitive after due to the fact that customization is stat based, not attack based (barring weapons, of course).

No prob mate! Thanks for the warm words mate! :)

I guess you didn't like the review then. I'll take that into consideration next time I make one.

I'll try to put spoilers on my future LBX related posts as this is a Custom Robo board (reason why I mention LBX a bit is because people liken it to CR for some reason). However, I won't spoiler CR related posts unless if it is SUPER long or it contains spoiler worthy material. I also don't spoiler moveset posts (as you saw with my Sylux moveset post).
Well, I didn't really read the review :laugh:. I might read it sometime.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Well, I like his walls of text. They are particularly informative.

Ooh, I'm not on the supporters's list! This must be rectified post haste!

Last edited:

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
What would you guys think if the next CR took inspiration from other series for new parts.

I was thinking how neat it would be to play with the Lombardi gun inspired by Melee Falco's laser. If you fire the Lombardi gun in the air and land during it's animation you will auto-cancel.

Another thought of mine was the Grunt gunner. Inspired by Battalion Wars' Grunts, the pod would walk around walk around (the pod is actually a Grunt from the series) and shoot at the enem almost non-stop with round that do little damage and no knockback.

I think it would be cool to have inspired parts in my opinion.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
What would you guys think if the next CR took inspiration from other series for new parts.

I was thinking how neat it would be to play with the Lombardi gun inspired by Melee Falco's laser. If you fire the Lombardi gun in the air and land during it's animation you will auto-cancel.

Another thought of mine was the Grunt gunner. Inspired by Battalion Wars' Grunts, the pod would walk around walk around (the pod is actually a Grunt from the series) and shoot at the enem almost non-stop with round that do little damage and no knockback.

I think it would be cool to have inspired parts in my opinion.
I think it'd be cool if they had the O'Donnel, Lombardi, and McCloud lasers that all reflected Star Fox characters lasers in Smash.

On a side note, I had a very sad thought the other day. If a new CR ever happens, many young gamers will think it's just a rip-off of LBX. Sigh.

Top Bottom