• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Support Ray for Smash! - Custom Robo Discussion Thread

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
I would imagine there's going to be 3 newcomers plus Wolf. And Pichu if we're lucky. ;D
I wouldn't mind that to be honest. Pichu would be a good joke character. I don't know if many would purchase him though (I would [I buy ALL of the Smash Bros. DLC]). But yeah, 3 newcomers and 2 vets don't seem too farfetched for the 2nd character pack. I DO hope for more character packs though. Wouldn't mind if they had multiple waves for characters after the ballot.
Ugh, Pichu. Nevermind that. Its probably Wolf, King K. Rool, and Isaac.
You're missing a newcomer slot mate. ;)

I'm not going to try to predict the results of the ballot though. You never know what goes through Sakurai's head. Plus, it could always act like the MLB All Star Vote. Heads of the MLB let the fans vote for their favorite players to fill up the starting fielders. However, they also choose some players of their own to fill up pitchers (granted, they are from those who people vote for) and reserves (they have no restrictions there). Originally it was a simple ballot where the players were only determined from the fans. HOWEVER, in 1957, there was an incident where fans of the Cincinnati Reds overstuffed the ballot box (similarly to how some people vote for a single character multiple times). So, the MLB officials had to enforce a stricter voting policy of 1 player per position and actually replaced 2 players that were over-voted for with two other players from different teams. Now, seeing that most (if not all) computers have IP addresses, Nintendo likely implemented an IP address collection algorithm when developing the ballot. In addition, they are also likely to compare the "Why should this character become a fighter?" sections between ballot entries for the same character to determine if spam was created on different devices. If they discover that the ballot was overstuffed (which they likely will), then they will likely make a minor determination on who gets in and who doesn't (like how the MLB replaced Wally Post and Gus Bell with Willie Mays and Hank Aaron when the 1957 ballot stuffing occurred). So, it won't automatically be the most "popular" choices due to the fact that ballot stuffing occurred. It will LIKELY be the most popular ones, but who knows what Nintendo will do when making the final determination.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
They did say that the ballot was going to be more based on quality rather than quantity. Sure, overwhelming quantity will probably take some kind of precedence, but they have the "Why you want X character" for a reason. Quality of responses is important here, and because of that, trying to predict the ballot probably will be far from easy.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
If any Robo other than Ray actually had a chance at being in, (As in I could vote for any Robo and have confidence that it could happen) I'd vote for Bit or Apollo. But with Ray being the flagship Robo, he's the only one worth voting for.
I'd have to respectfully disagree and go for swift or one of the boss characters. Swift isn't as veteran as Bit is, but I'd argue she's much more popular than you may think. And the boss characters are also pretty recognizable, and I could honestly see them as really tough assist trophies.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
They did say that the ballot was going to be more based on quality rather than quantity. Sure, overwhelming quantity will probably take some kind of precedence, but they have the "Why you want X character" for a reason. Quality of responses is important here, and because of that, trying to predict the ballot probably will be far from easy.
Huh. Didn't know about that. That should help a good amount of characters then. Plus, it makes things more interesting for us due to how unpredictable the result will be.
I'd have to respectfully disagree and go for swift or one of the boss characters. Swift isn't as veteran as Bit is, but I'd argue she's much more popular than you may think. And the boss characters are also pretty recognizable, and I could honestly see them as really tough assist trophies.
Well, Swift is VERY similar to Bel from the classic N64 titles as they both have similar curls in their hair and have similar stature. They also have similar stat distribution and charges. So, I'd imagine that fans of Bel would also be fans of Swift.
Rahu and Hadron would be awesome characters to play as.
Agreed.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I shamelessly plug Ray 01 into every stream chat DLC discussion on Twitch I'm ever a part of XD I just did it on Vex's stream, and that's gotta be like the 20th time I've done it. Usually get good responses from fellow Twitch chat peeps. Gotta spread the word everywhere ;D

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
I shamelessly plug Ray 01 into every stream chat DLC discussion on Twitch I'm ever a part of XD I just did it on Vex's stream, and that's gotta be like the 20th time I've done it. Usually get good responses from fellow Twitch chat peeps. Gotta spread the word everywhere ;D
I try to plug Ray whenever I see a Reddit Post discussing desired characters for DLC and the like. Usually not much happens though. I do get the occasional "I agree!" or "A new game would be preferable...." though, so it is acknowledged at times.

Doing any Twitch streams tonight mate? :)

Edit: Found that article that supports what you said about the responses over popularity thing of the Smash Ballot: http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/08/10/smash-ballot-more-suggestion-than-popularity/

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I try to plug Ray whenever I see a Reddit Post discussing desired characters for DLC and the like. Usually not much happens though. I do get the occasional "I agree!" or "A new game would be preferable...." though, so it is acknowledged at times.

Doing any Twitch streams tonight mate? :)

Edit: Found that article that supports what you said about the responses over popularity thing of the Smash Ballot: http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/08/10/smash-ballot-more-suggestion-than-popularity/
Nah, I don't stream myself. My WiFi is too terrible. I'm a VGBC Mod though, so you can usually find me there during Smash 4 Xanadus

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Nah, I don't stream myself. My WiFi is too terrible. I'm a VGBC Mod though, so you can usually find me there during Smash 4 Xanadus
Right (mine is kinda terrible as well due to there being 5 people in the same house), but are you modding tomorrow's Xanadu stream mate? I'll try to check it out. :)

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Right (mine is kinda terrible as well due to there being 5 people in the same house), but are you modding tomorrow's Xanadu stream mate? I'll try to check it out. :)
As long as my girlfriend doesn't come over. And I'm pretty sure she's not. I can't say I'll stick around for the entire thing, but I'll certainly be there for a little while. I'll let you know when we get closer.

3 more holy crap if that happens ill **** bricks
Well I can't imagine that they're going to have this huge ballot and only release one or two characters from it. That'd make the ballot exceptionally overhyped. Disappointed fans would be in the millions.

Last edited:

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
3 more holy crap if that happens ill **** bricks
Better have a toilet handy then mate!
As long as my girlfriend doesn't come over. And I'm pretty sure she's not. I can't say I'll stick around for the entire thing, but I'll certainly be there for a little while. I'll let you know when we get closer.

Well I can't imagine that they're going to have this huge ballot and only release one or two characters from it. That'd make the ballot exceptionally overhyped. Disappointed fans would be in the millions.
No worries mate! :)

Spluni

Smash Rookie
Sweet, we're almost at 30 pages! Shoutouts to everyone who contributed here!

The whole ballot situation has me curious as well, but since Mr. Sakurai is an unpredictable fellow, I won't get too carried away with ballot predictions. I'll still be holding out for Ray in the meantime just because he's my dream pick, plain and simple.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Sweet, we're almost at 30 pages! Shoutouts to everyone who contributed here!

The whole ballot situation has me curious as well, but since Mr. Sakurai is an unpredictable fellow, I won't get too carried away with ballot predictions. I'll still be holding out for Ray in the meantime just because he's my dream pick, plain and simple.
Agreed. We've come a very far way to be able to reach 30 pages! Thanks everyone for being pretty awesome on this page!

Ray (or any of the Ray robos) will always be my #1 choice to add to the roster. His games are so fun to play.

DeltaLord85

Smash Rookie
Wow, it has been a while since we posted on this thread. What's happening with you all? Had to do chores and stuff, so I couldn't respond that much.

Did you guys have a favorite moment in a Custom Robo game. If so, what? Mine was the whole "I'm not going" scene in the GameCube game.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
Wow, it has been a while since we posted on this thread. What's happening with you all? Had to do chores and stuff, so I couldn't respond that much.

Did you guys have a favorite moment in a Custom Robo game. If so, what? Mine was the whole "I'm not going" scene in the GameCube game.
Its normally like this. Thank you for breaking mold though!

Definitely whenever that married couple gets into those super intense arguments, so intense that the little blips the text makes get more intense too.

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
When my friend and I were playing CR friendlies at CEO, the funniest best thing happened. I was playing a little sprinter with Splash gun and he was using a Metal Grappler with the knuckle gun. Both of us had the Geo Trap Bomb by the way.
We were playing on Castle Citadel which is a holosseum with a raised center. Because I was using the Splash gun, it was very easy for me to keep him out. Now we were positioned around the raised center, he was on higher ground. His Geo Trap hit me torward him so that I was in range of his knuckle gun. He just started spamming his gun on me and got a giant 600 point combo. It was awesome. After that combo I was super conservative because I knew he would easily win if he hit me again. But I still won though, lol.

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
When my friend and I were playing CR friendlies at CEO, the funniest best thing happened. I was playing a little sprinter with Splash gun and he was using a Metal Grappler with the knuckle gun. Both of us had the Geo Trap Bomb by the way.
We were playing on Castle Citadel which is a holosseum with a raised center. Because I was using the Splash gun, it was very easy for me to keep him out. Now we were positioned around the raised center, he was on higher ground. His Geo Trap hit me torward him so that I was in range of his knuckle gun. He just started spamming his gun on me and got a giant 600 point combo. It was awesome. After that combo I was super conservative because I knew he would easily win if he hit me again. But I still won though, lol.
Nice. I wish I had people to play with. Sounds really fun.

Also, The Treehouse is aware of the similarities between Custom Robo and LBX. They say there is even more customisation in LBX.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir

Also, The Treehouse is aware of the similarities between Custom Robo and LBX. They say there is even more customisation in LBX.
Sad that LBX will probs replace CR, but glad that the custom robot legacy will live in in some facet.

Spluni

Smash Rookie
Ah, there were a lot of moments that I enjoyed in the Robo games, so it would be hard for me to pick a favorite. But the one I can always picture myself in is the part in BR where the team has dinner with Harry and Mira. A nice chance to recollect after a hard day's work.

UniversalGuardian

Smash Rookie

Favorite is the final tournament in Battle Revolution, specifically the post battle dialouge with Marcia. It really hits on the idea that those two could have been more than friends and really all around a touching battling against all the Hero's closest allies.

Plus you got to the final story ,cry for the game being over but rejoice in victoty!

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Its normally like this. Thank you for breaking mold though!

Definitely whenever that married couple gets into those super intense arguments, so intense that the little blips the text makes get more intense too.
I also loved that super intense scene with Walt and Carmen. Dunno why those two got married in the 1st place if they argue so much.

Ah, there were a lot of moments that I enjoyed in the Robo games, so it would be hard for me to pick a favorite. But the one I can always picture myself in is the part in BR where the team has dinner with Harry and Mira. A nice chance to recollect after a hard day's work.
Yeah, that scene was pretty good IMHO. It gave a good background of some of the characters. Plus, you just finished the Police Tournament, which was pretty stressful (especially for Marcia).
Favorite is the final tournament in Battle Revolution, specifically the post battle dialouge with Marcia. It really hits on the idea that those two could have been more than friends and really all around a touching battling against all the Hero's closest allies.

Plus you got to the final story ,cry for the game being over but rejoice in victoty!
Yeah, that was a good scene too. It allowed for some character growth for Marcia. It made her more of a dynamic character when compared to the others.

The scene after all of the Grand Battles (barring the battle with Harry) was pretty nice as well. I bet a TON of people pair BR Hero with Marcia because of this scene. Not 100% though, but I bet so.
Yeesh! The Knuckle Gun is deadly on Little Sprinters and Ray Legend if it manages to hit them. At least you won the battle though mate! :)

I REALLY hate fighting against the Splash Gun. If used by the right people, it can get pretty hard to beat fast.

Did you use Swift, Shrike, or Peregrine? I prefer Shrike personally due to it being similar to Bit in use.
Sad that LBX will probs replace CR, but glad that the custom robot legacy will live in in some facet.

I doubt that the game will replace the Custom Robo series (still possible though, but I doubt it unless if Nintendo and Noise continue to sit on their hands and not make a new Custom Robo game). From what I could tell regarding how the customization works, it's a different beast from Custom Robo.

The game that we are getting is known as "Little Battlers Experience BOOST" in Japan when (roughly) translated. However, since it's the first game brought overseas, they are dropping the BOOST surname. It is a remake of the PSP game "Little Battlers BOOST", which is a remake of the game "Little Battlers". Little Battlers could also be translated as "Cardboard Troopers". There were 3 other games released after this game known as "Little Battlers W" (PSP sequel to the 1st game that has different mechanics), "Little Battlers W Super Custom" (3DS remake of PSP game), and "Little Battlers Wars" (3DS Simulation RPG game, so it has different mechanics once again). Those games are different in gameplay from the game that we are getting, so I will try to focus on LBX BOOST (the game that we are getting).

From what I could tell, this is how the customization stuff works:

LBXs have the Core Skeleton and the Armor Frame. The Core Skeleton acts as a base while the Armor Frame goes outside it. Once that's down, they can equip weapons and shields.

The Core Skeleton has a Core Box that one can customize. It follows a grid based system for inserting parts that gets bigger when you get your teammates to higher levels. For those who have played the Mega Man Battle Network games, it is VERY similar to the Navi Customizer from what I could tell. However, the color rule and command line rules don't exist in this game. Instead, the main rule is that you need a CPU, some Core Memory (at least 1 chip), a Battery, and a Motor. Basically this is how it works for these parts:
  • CPU: Raises attack power of a specific weapon type, global attack power, or both (i.e. one CPU can boost the power of all attacks by 4% and can raise sword weapons' attack by 2%, etc.). Can only have 1 of these.
  • Core Memory: Stores Attack Functions (think Super Moves in Fighting Games like Ryu's Shinkuu Hadouken & Shin Shoryuken in SFIII: 3rd Strike). Up to 4 can be equipped. You can equip Core Memories for weapons that you don't use, but you can't use the Attack Function (i.e. you cannot use a Gun based Attack Function if you are using a Sword at the time). Attack Functions require a certain amount of Chance Gauge points to use them. From what I could tell, Action Functions are learned through mastering weapon styles.
  • Battery: Gives you Battery Points. Basically, in order to do stuff (i.e. attack, move, etc.), you need to expend Battery Points. Batteries give you BP. Only 3 Batteries can be equipped per LBX.
  • Motors: Determines how the C-Gauge is generated as well as BP Efficiency (there might be more to them, but that's what I got from them). Up to 3 can be equipped.
  • Extra Parts: Optional Parts that affect stats like LP+150, Electric Resistance +2, etc. Up to 5 can be added.
Now, moving on to the Armor Frames. Essentially, they act as the defensive parts for the LBX. They are divided into 5 part categories:
  • Head
  • Torso
  • Left Arm
  • Right Arm
  • Legs
Basically, you can equip any combination of armor frames. They have the following stats:
  • AC: Their level (you level up in the game, so the stats are modified based on how you level up).
  • LP: Your health. More means you live longer.
  • DF: Your defense. More means you take less damage.
  • Weight: Affects mobility. Less means more mobility.
  • Slash Resistance: Resistance modifier against Slashing Weapons/AFs.
  • Pierce Resistance: Resistance modifier against Piercing Weapons/AFs.
  • Shock Resistance: Resistance modifier against Shocking Weapons/AFs (think Blunt Force).
  • Fire Resistance: Resistance modifier against Fire elemental Weapons/AFs.
  • Water Resistance: Resistance modifier against Water elemental Weapons/AFs.
  • Thunder Resistance: Resistance modifier against Thunder elemental Weapons/AFs.
  • Ray Resistance: Resistance modifier against Ray elemental Weapons/AFs (think Light elemental attacks).
Armor frames also have grade that determine how many skills they can have. Parts of Normal Grade have 0 skills. Parts of High Grade have 1 skill. Parts of Master Grade (there are multiple colors for this grade, but I don't know how that works) have 2 skills. Skills are supposedly determined when you get the part. If you have ALL of the parts of HG have the same skill matched with a compatible weapon, your speed rank increases by 1. If you have all parts of MG have the same 2 skills matched with 2 compatible weapons, your speed rank increases by 2.

Speaking about speed rank, you have a higher rank as you have less weight. You can make heavy LBXs have more mobility by matching HG and MG parts the way I mentioned in the prior paragraph.

In addition, there are Frame Catalogues that act in a similar way to Robo Models from Custom Robo. They are the following:
  • Knight Frame: Balanced LBXs that neither excel nor suffer in armor and speed. The most common type of LBX. Some can transform into stuff like Jets or Weapons. If I had to compare them to a robo class from Custom Robo, they'd be similar to Shining Fighters (with some also acting as Lightning Skiers) in stats.
  • Brawler Frame: Bulky LBXs that excel in tanking hits. They have the best LP and 2nd best DF. However, they are the heaviest LBXs. Some of their legs allow them to jump higher with heavier weapons. Most similar to Metal Grapplers in stats.
  • Strider Frame: Speedy LBXs that excel in mobility. They have the worst LP and 2nd worst DF. However, they are the lightest LBXs. Some of their legs allow them to perform an extra air dash. Kinda similar to Little Raiders IMHO when dealing with stats. In design, they are mostly based on Ninjas, so I GUESS they are like some Strike Vanishers, Aerial Beauties, and Trick Flyers in design.
  • Wild Frame: Another set of lightweight LBXs. They have the worst DF and 2nd worst LP. However, they are the 2nd lightest LBXs. Some of their legs allow them to perform an extra air jump. Kinda similar to Aerial Beauties in stats, but Burning Beasts in design as they are anthropomorphic.
  • Panzer Frame: Another set of Bulky LBXs. However, instead of legs, they have wheels, treads, hover engines, and the like. As such, they operate differently when moving around with them as well as attacking. They have the best DF and 2nd best LP. However, they are the 2nd heaviest LBXs. Like Brawlers, some of their "legs" allow them to jump higher with heavier weapons. I GUESS they are most similar with Big Boys in stats.
You could basically have a Knight Frame head, a Brawler Frame torso, a Strider Frame left arm, a Wild Frame right arm, and a Panzer Frame leg set. However, if you have all of the Armor Frames of the same model (i.e. equip Odin Head, Odin Torso, Odin Left Arm, Odin Right Arm, and Odin Legs), you can have access to a Model specific Attack Function (in this example, the Jet Striker Super Attack Function).

Now, each LBX supposedly have a special mode that can be activated when at 25% LP or less. Basically, it's a temporary boost in stats that uses an extensive amount of BP.

In addition, Battle Items are able to be used in some battles (depending on the rules). Think of them as potions, ethers, and the like.

As for weapons, each LBX can equip up to 2 weapon combinations. The following are the weapons that can be equipped:
  • Sword (1 handed). Standard slicing and dicing weapons. One can opt for a 2-Handed Sword Style and have 2 Swords equipped at once. Otherwise, it uses the 1-Handed Sword Style. Divided into Swords, Rapiers, and Heavy Swords.
  • Lance (1 handed). Great for stabbing. Uses the 1-Handed Lance Style. Divided into Lances, Halberds, and Poles.
  • Knuckle (2 handed). Great for punching. Uses the 2-Handed Knuckle Style. Divided into Knuckles, Daggers, and Bare Hands.
  • Hammer (2 handed). Great for smashing. Uses the 2-Handed Hammer Style. Divided into Hammers, Axes, and Scythes.
  • Gun (1 handed). Great for quick shots. One can opt for a 2-Handed Gun Style where you have 2 guns at once. Otherwise, it uses the 1-Handed Gun Style. Divided into Single-Shot Handguns, Machine Guns, Shotguns, and Revolvers.
  • Rifle (2 handed). Great for long ranged combat. Uses the 2-Handed Rifle Style. Divided into Single-Shot Rifles, Assault Rifles, Sniper Rifles, and Shotguns.
  • Launcher (2 handed). Great for explosives. Uses the 2-Handed Launcher Style. Divided into Missile Launchers and Bazookas.
  • Weapon Arms (2 handed). Great for mixing Knuckle combat with long ranged combat. Inherits the 2-Handed Knuckle Style when in close range and one of the long ranged styles otherwise (not sure which [could be based on the weapon]). Divided into Claws, Fist, and possibly others. However, they take up BOTH weapon set-ups (i.e. you cannot have Weapon Arms as one set up and Rifle as another. It is Weapon Arms (Close Range) and Weapon Arms (Long Range)).
  • Shields (1 handed). Great for blocking stuff. Not really a weapon though. They effectively act as a 6th Armor Frame part due to them having similar stats to an Armor Frame part (they lack AC and LP though). Can be used with Swords, Lances, and (presumably) Guns.
Weapons have skill levels that unlock Attack Functions. In addition, weapons of different classes have different techniques depending on their weapons style. For example, the 1-Handed Sword Style has the following techniques (besides global commands):
  • Normal Combo (Press Attack button 4 times)
  • Charge Attack (Hold down Attack Button, then release)
  • Forward Thrust (Attack Button + Circle Pad UP)
  • Step Attack (Attack Button + Circle Pad LEFT/RIGHT)
  • Back Attack (Attack Button + Circle Pad DOWN)
  • Mid-Air Attack (Jump + Attack Button)
  • Dash Attack (Dash + Attack Button)
  • Backstep (Circle Pad DOWN + Dash)
Basically, ALL swords when used in 1-Handed Sword Style supposedly use the same attack scheme (they might differ in animation [not sure], but they have the same commands). So, weapons within the same type mainly differ in stats (attack and weight) and elements (all are either Slashing, Piercing, or Shocking and CAN [not required though] have either Fire, Water, Thunder, or Ray elements). Kinda reminds me of Monster Hunter in how most (if not all) Greatswords have the same base moveset (please correct me if I am wrong on this regard [has been a while since I played 3 Ultimate]).

Also, there's something regarding party members that allow for support during battles. However, I don't know enough about this, so I refrain from commenting about this.

You also have to apply lubrication to parts once in a while. Think of it as polishing your Robos in Arena, but you gotta buy it every time you need it (imagine if Arena lacked the Normal Cloth). Seems like it might just be a menu command.

I THINK I got all of the important bits regarding the customization in this game. It's basically a different beast from Custom Robo. LBX seems to be a mix of Mega Man Battle Network's Navi Customizer system with Xenoblade's Armor System (Aesthetics, Stats, and random skills for certain armors), Monster Hunter's Weapon Type (Greatswords all have the same controls but have different aesthetics and stats) system, and an arena based gameplay style (i.e. Gotcha Force, Gundam VS. games, Medabots, and so on).

The major similarities that I can see between this game and Custom Robo are that there exists Customization (though Custom Robo focuses more on synchronization of weapons and combos while LBX seems to focus more on stats, leveling up, and weapon styles [more of a traditional RPG]), there are small robos that fight in small arenas, there are body frame families that have different stat distributions, and there's a tune-up feature (cleaning vs. lubrication). So, the gameplay and the way customization works are very different from each other. Custom Robo focuses more on parts synchronization, combos between different parts, and spacing while LBX seems to focus more on BP management, super moves, and combos with the same weapon. While LBX has over 3000 parts, they mainly differ in stats and weaknesses (Nile Blade has 140 attack and does slashing damage while the Zanbato has 120 attack and does shocking damage). Parts in Custom Robo on the other hand differ in function (i.e. Gatling Gun fires 8 rounds of quick bullets while the Dragon Gun fires 1 slow round, Umbrella Pod fires 3 pods that act as anti-air weapons while Ground Freeze Pod freezes opponents on contact and act as a wall to grounded opponents, etc.). There's no reason why LBX and Custom Robo can't exist together.

Last edited:

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
Sniiiiiiiipity
So, there comes a point where there is just too much customization, and I think that game makes that abundantly clear. I for one have never been a fan of RPG mechanics, so I guess this game will kind of clash with my likes and dislikes. I don't want to knock it, but I'm pretty sure Custom Robo will reign supreme when it comes to battling robos.

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
I'm scarded of the customization in LBX, lol. Custom Robo is perfect in how it works. So simple, any child can do it with ease. LBX leaves you scratching your head from what I just read. I think depth in customization is important and I think CR would easily have more without being terrifying if they let you customize the parts themselves. Like making your own paintjob and slightly changing the ability and stats of the gun.

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
I'm scarded of the customization in LBX, lol. Custom Robo is perfect in how it works. So simple, any child can do it with ease. LBX leaves you scratching your head from what I just read. I think depth in customization is important and I think CR would easily have more without being terrifying if they let you customize the parts themselves. Like making your own paintjob and slightly changing the ability and stats of the gun.
I'm interested in playing around with LBX's customisation, but I'm worried it may be to stat based as well. The thing that made Custom Robo's customisation interesting was that each piece changed easthetic and gameplay drastically. You could tell how one gun was different to another just by seeing it fire.

That being said, I like the larger range of weapon types and leg types. I think more meaningful customisation isn't a bad thing.
I'll withhold judgement until I play it. We all have an obvious bias, so this game will just leave us wanting a new CR even more (if that's possible).

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
That being said, I like the larger range of weapon types and leg types. I think more meaningful customisation isn't a bad thing.
I'll withhold judgement until I play it. We all have an obvious bias, so this game will just leave us wanting a new CR even more (if that's possible).
You're not wrong, y'know. Like 90% of the comments are CR related in that video, and it gives me a little hope.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Dunno if this helps a bit, but here's some gameplay of it.

Hope there is a volume button for the voices. They seem a BIT too loud.
I need this in my life and will be getting it the moment it comes in. I for one LOVE loads of customization, though I'd buy a new CR the moment it releases, sadly none are releasing. That wolf bot with the sniper rifle is MINE. Wonder if there's a reptilian looking one too...

Edit: It's coming out this Friday and it's releasing on the system I have! (New) 3DS! BOUGHT!

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I need this in my life and will be getting it the moment it comes in. I for one LOVE loads of customization, though I'd buy a new CR the moment it releases, sadly none are releasing. That wolf bot with the sniper rifle is MINE. Wonder if there's a reptilian looking one too...

Edit: It's coming out this Friday and it's releasing on the system I have! (New) 3DS! BOUGHT!
This Friday, you say? I get paid this Friday. Guess I'll be giving this a shot.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276

I'll likely get this on Friday as well. Managed to get a good chunk of change from a grange sale I had this weekend.

I'll probably like this game a lot. However, seeing that it's pretty different from Custom Robo in Gameplay and Customization gives me hope for a new Custom Robo game.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I also loved that super intense scene with Walt and Carmen. Dunno why those two got married in the 1st place if they argue so much.

Yeah, that scene was pretty good IMHO. It gave a good background of some of the characters. Plus, you just finished the Police Tournament, which was pretty stressful (especially for Marcia).

Yeah, that was a good scene too. It allowed for some character growth for Marcia. It made her more of a dynamic character when compared to the others.

The scene after all of the Grand Battles (barring the battle with Harry) was pretty nice as well. I bet a TON of people pair BR Hero with Marcia because of this scene. Not 100% though, but I bet so.

Yeesh! The Knuckle Gun is deadly on Little Sprinters and Ray Legend if it manages to hit them. At least you won the battle though mate! :)

I REALLY hate fighting against the Splash Gun. If used by the right people, it can get pretty hard to beat fast.

Did you use Swift, Shrike, or Peregrine? I prefer Shrike personally due to it being similar to Bit in use.

I doubt that the game will replace the Custom Robo series (still possible though, but I doubt it unless if Nintendo and Noise continue to sit on their hands and not make a new Custom Robo game). From what I could tell regarding how the customization works, it's a different beast from Custom Robo.

The game that we are getting is known as "Little Battlers Experience BOOST" in Japan when (roughly) translated. However, since it's the first game brought overseas, they are dropping the BOOST surname. It is a remake of the PSP game "Little Battlers BOOST", which is a remake of the game "Little Battlers". Little Battlers could also be translated as "Cardboard Troopers". There were 3 other games released after this game known as "Little Battlers W" (PSP sequel to the 1st game that has different mechanics), "Little Battlers W Super Custom" (3DS remake of PSP game), and "Little Battlers Wars" (3DS Simulation RPG game, so it has different mechanics once again). Those games are different in gameplay from the game that we are getting, so I will try to focus on LBX BOOST (the game that we are getting).

From what I could tell, this is how the customization stuff works:

LBXs have the Core Skeleton and the Armor Frame. The Core Skeleton acts as a base while the Armor Frame goes outside it. Once that's down, they can equip weapons and shields.

The Core Skeleton has a Core Box that one can customize. It follows a grid based system for inserting parts that gets bigger when you get your teammates to higher levels. For those who have played the Mega Man Battle Network games, it is VERY similar to the Navi Customizer from what I could tell. However, the color rule and command line rules don't exist in this game. Instead, the main rule is that you need a CPU, some Core Memory (at least 1 chip), a Battery, and a Motor. Basically this is how it works for these parts:
  • CPU: Raises attack power of a specific weapon type, global attack power, or both (i.e. one CPU can boost the power of all attacks by 4% and can raise sword weapons' attack by 2%, etc.). Can only have 1 of these.
  • Core Memory: Stores Attack Functions (think Super Moves in Fighting Games like Ryu's Shinkuu Hadouken & Shin Shoryuken in SFIII: 3rd Strike). Up to 4 can be equipped. You can equip Core Memories for weapons that you don't use, but you can't use the Attack Function (i.e. you cannot use a Gun based Attack Function if you are using a Sword at the time). Attack Functions require a certain amount of Chance Gauge points to use them. From what I could tell, Action Functions are learned through mastering weapon styles.
  • Battery: Gives you Battery Points. Basically, in order to do stuff (i.e. attack, move, etc.), you need to expend Battery Points. Batteries give you BP. Only 3 Batteries can be equipped per LBX.
  • Motors: Determines how the C-Gauge is generated as well as BP Efficiency (there might be more to them, but that's what I got from them). Up to 3 can be equipped.
  • Extra Parts: Optional Parts that affect stats like LP+150, Electric Resistance +2, etc. Up to 5 can be added.
Now, moving on to the Armor Frames. Essentially, they act as the defensive parts for the LBX. They are divided into 5 part categories:
  • Head
  • Torso
  • Left Arm
  • Right Arm
  • Legs
Basically, you can equip any combination of armor frames. They have the following stats:
  • AC: Their level (you level up in the game, so the stats are modified based on how you level up).
  • LP: Your health. More means you live longer.
  • DF: Your defense. More means you take less damage.
  • Weight: Affects mobility. Less means more mobility.
  • Slash Resistance: Resistance modifier against Slashing Weapons/AFs.
  • Pierce Resistance: Resistance modifier against Piercing Weapons/AFs.
  • Shock Resistance: Resistance modifier against Shocking Weapons/AFs (think Blunt Force).
  • Fire Resistance: Resistance modifier against Fire elemental Weapons/AFs.
  • Water Resistance: Resistance modifier against Water elemental Weapons/AFs.
  • Thunder Resistance: Resistance modifier against Thunder elemental Weapons/AFs.
  • Ray Resistance: Resistance modifier against Ray elemental Weapons/AFs (think Light elemental attacks).
Armor frames also have grade that determine how many skills they can have. Parts of Normal Grade have 0 skills. Parts of High Grade have 1 skill. Parts of Master Grade (there are multiple colors for this grade, but I don't know how that works) have 2 skills. Skills are supposedly determined when you get the part. If you have ALL of the parts of HG have the same skill matched with a compatible weapon, your speed rank increases by 1. If you have all parts of MG have the same 2 skills matched with 2 compatible weapons, your speed rank increases by 2.

Speaking about speed rank, you have a higher rank as you have less weight. You can make heavy LBXs have more mobility by matching HG and MG parts the way I mentioned in the prior paragraph.

In addition, there are Frame Catalogues that act in a similar way to Robo Models from Custom Robo. They are the following:
  • Knight Frame: Balanced LBXs that neither excel nor suffer in armor and speed. The most common type of LBX. Some can transform into stuff like Jets or Weapons. If I had to compare them to a robo class from Custom Robo, they'd be similar to Shining Fighters (with some also acting as Lightning Skiers) in stats.
  • Brawler Frame: Bulky LBXs that excel in tanking hits. They have the best LP and 2nd best DF. However, they are the heaviest LBXs. Some of their legs allow them to jump higher with heavier weapons. Most similar to Metal Grapplers in stats.
  • Strider Frame: Speedy LBXs that excel in mobility. They have the worst LP and 2nd worst DF. However, they are the lightest LBXs. Some of their legs allow them to perform an extra air dash. Kinda similar to Little Raiders IMHO when dealing with stats. In design, they are mostly based on Ninjas, so I GUESS they are like some Strike Vanishers, Aerial Beauties, and Trick Flyers in design.
  • Wild Frame: Another set of lightweight LBXs. They have the worst DF and 2nd worst LP. However, they are the 2nd lightest LBXs. Some of their legs allow them to perform an extra air jump. Kinda similar to Aerial Beauties in stats, but Burning Beasts in design as they are anthropomorphic.
  • Panzer Frame: Another set of Bulky LBXs. However, instead of legs, they have wheels, treads, hover engines, and the like. As such, they operate differently when moving around with them as well as attacking. They have the best DF and 2nd best LP. However, they are the 2nd heaviest LBXs. Like Brawlers, some of their "legs" allow them to jump higher with heavier weapons. I GUESS they are most similar with Big Boys in stats.
You could basically have a Knight Frame head, a Brawler Frame torso, a Strider Frame left arm, a Wild Frame right arm, and a Panzer Frame leg set. However, if you have all of the Armor Frames of the same model (i.e. equip Odin Head, Odin Torso, Odin Left Arm, Odin Right Arm, and Odin Legs), you can have access to a Model specific Attack Function (in this example, the Jet Striker Super Attack Function).

Now, each LBX supposedly have a special mode that can be activated when at 25% LP or less. Basically, it's a temporary boost in stats that uses an extensive amount of BP.

In addition, Battle Items are able to be used in some battles (depending on the rules). Think of them as potions, ethers, and the like.

As for weapons, each LBX can equip up to 2 weapon combinations. The following are the weapons that can be equipped:
  • Sword (1 handed). Standard slicing and dicing weapons. One can opt for a 2-Handed Sword Style and have 2 Swords equipped at once. Otherwise, it uses the 1-Handed Sword Style. Divided into Swords, Rapiers, and Heavy Swords.
  • Lance (1 handed). Great for stabbing. Uses the 1-Handed Lance Style. Divided into Lances, Halberds, and Poles.
  • Knuckle (2 handed). Great for punching. Uses the 2-Handed Knuckle Style. Divided into Knuckles, Daggers, and Bare Hands.
  • Hammer (2 handed). Great for smashing. Uses the 2-Handed Hammer Style. Divided into Hammers and Scythes.
  • Gun (1 handed). Great for quick shots. One can opt for a 2-Handed Gun Style where you have 2 guns at once. Otherwise, it uses the 1-Handed Gun Style. Divided into Single-Shot Handguns, Machine Guns, Shotguns, and Revolvers.
  • Rifle (2 handed). Great for long ranged combat. Uses the 2-Handed Rifle Style. Divided into Single-Shot Rifles, Assault Rifles, Sniper Rifles, and Shotguns.
  • Launcher (2 handed). Great for explosives. Uses the 2-Handed Launcher Style. Divided into Missile Launchers and Bazookas.
  • Weapon Arms (2 handed). Great for mixing Knuckle combat with long ranged combat. Inherits the 2-Handed Knuckle Style when in close range and one of the long ranged styles otherwise (not sure which [could be based on the weapon]). Divided into Claws, Fist, and possibly others.
  • Shields (1 handed). Great for blocking stuff. Not really a weapon though. They effectively act as a 6th Armor Frame part due to them having similar stats to an Armor Frame part (they lack AC and LP though). Can be used with Swords, Lances, and (presumably) Guns.
Weapons have skill levels that unlock Attack Functions. In addition, weapons of different classes have different techniques depending on their weapons style. For example, the 1-Handed Sword Style has the following techniques (besides global commands):
  • Normal Combo (Press Attack button 4 times)
  • Charge Attack (Hold down Attack Button, then release)
  • Forward Thrust (Attack Button + Circle Pad UP)
  • Step Attack (Attack Button + Circle Pad LEFT/RIGHT)
  • Back Attack (Attack Button + Circle Pad DOWN)
  • Mid-Air Attack (Jump + Attack Button)
  • Dash Attack (Dash + Attack Button)
  • Backstep (Circle Pad DOWN + Dash)
Basically, ALL swords when used in 1-Handed Sword Style supposedly use the same attack scheme (they might differ in animation [not sure], but they have the same commands). So, weapons within the same type mainly differ in stats (attack and weight) and elements (all are either Slashing, Piercing, or Shocking and CAN [not required though] have either Fire, Water, Thunder, or Ray elements). Kinda reminds me of Monster Hunter in how most (if not all) Greatswords have the same base moveset (please correct me if I am wrong on this regard [has been a while since I played 3 Ultimate]).

Also, there's something regarding party members that allow for support during battles. However, I don't know enough about this, so I refrain from commenting about this.

You also have to apply lubrication to parts once in a while. Think of it as polishing your Robos in Arena, but you gotta buy it every time you need it (imagine if Arena lacked the Normal Cloth). Seems like it might just be a menu command.

I THINK I got all of the important bits regarding the customization in this game. It's basically a different beast from Custom Robo. LBX seems to be a mix of Mega Man Battle Network's Navi Customizer system with Xenoblade's Armor System (Aesthetics, Stats, and random skills for certain armors), Monster Hunter's Weapon Type (Greatswords all have the same controls but have different aesthetics and stats) system, and an arena based gameplay style (i.e. Gotcha Force, Gundam VS. games, Medabots, and so on).

The major similarities that I can see between this game and Custom Robo are that there exists Customization (though Custom Robo focuses more on synchronization of weapons and combos while LBX seems to focus more on stats, leveling up, and weapon styles [more of a traditional RPG]), there are small robos that fight in small arenas, there are body frame families that have different stat distributions, and there's a tune-up feature (cleaning vs. lubrication). So, the gameplay and the way customization works are very different from each other. Custom Robo focuses more on parts synchronization, combos between different parts, and spacing while LBX seems to focus more on BP management, super moves, and combos with the same weapon. While LBX has over 3000 parts, they mainly differ in stats and weaknesses (Nile Blade has 140 attack and does slashing damage while the Zanbato has 120 attack and does shocking damage). Parts in Custom Robo on the other hand differ in function (i.e. Gatling Gun fires 8 rounds of quick bullets while the Dragon Gun fires 1 slow round, Umbrella Pod fires 3 pods that act as anti-air weapons while Ground Freeze Pod freezes opponents on contact and act as a wall to grounded opponents, etc.). There's no reason why LBX and Custom Robo can't exist together.
Thank for this write up, it's making me salivate.

Need to get me a Wild Frame with claws and call it Talon, so I can have my super fast velociraptor battler. That or get one of those fancy Knights that turn into a jet so I can have Starscream.

Edit: I know this seems like an odd thing to ask but, are there any dragon or dinosaur based ones for Wild Frames? This is important to me.

Last edited:

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Thank for this write up, it's making me salivate.

Need to get me a Wild Frame with claws and call it Talon, so I can have my super fast velociraptor battler. That or get one of those fancy Knights that turn into a jet so I can have Starscream.

Edit: I know this seems like an odd thing to ask but, are there any dragon or dinosaur based ones for Wild Frames? This is important to me.
No prob dude! I don't know if the Jet Mode is an actual feature or if it's just an aesthetic transformation for one of those Attack Functions. Well, we'll see on Friday mate. :)

As for Lizard LBX (it's cool mate. Reptiles are fun to play as. I play as Charizard and Bowser a ton in Smash Bros.), there are plenty of Reptiles. They tend to be Brawler Frames and Wild Frames. For example, Salamander is a Brawler Frame that is a Lizard. That being said, a lot of them are exclusive to W (the PSP sequel to the 1st game that eventually got a remake known as LBX W Super Custom), so it might be a BIT harder to find one. I don't know if Ifreet/Ifrit would be considered a Lizard LBX or not, but it has a tail, scales, and the like.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Thanks for the info! I'll definitely take Salamander, but I'll keep my eyes open once it releases. I'm torn between buying it now with preload or getting the physical copy.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Thanks for the info! I'll definitely take Salamander, but I'll keep my eyes open once it releases. I'm torn between buying it now with preload or getting the physical copy.
I'm probably going for the Digital Version personally. That way, I can have it with me at all times. Wished it had online multiplayer though. Would be nice if they had that. I mean, Arena had it back in 2006/7 on the DS. Why can't this game have it?

Top Bottom