• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Super Smash Land] - Final Build 1.1 Online

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
4nace, how about something inspired by Link's Awakening? A Tal Tal Mountain Range stage? Everyone seems to forget about LA, which imo is one of the best Zeldas.

Also, will the final version have P2P online play?

etalus

Smash Rookie
@ Biglord

There's really only 3 solid testers and all of us pretty much use controllers, mostly because we can't have 4 keyboards connected to a computer at once. 4nace prefers the keyboard and he still does well though, so you can still achieve "high-level" play with the keyboard it just doesn't come as easily as using a controller.

Also, I'm the Link that plays Wrastor in the first Mario video :p

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Good to know the keyboard is still a viable option then :D

And congrats on beating the best SSLMario in the World! Lolz

Ultimortal

Smash Rookie
Sorry if this sounds off-topic, but I'd love to see high-level Smash players in an SSL tournament. :) I could imagine seeing it as an event at the next Melee/Brawl tournament. Would help with the balance as well, and it already feels like a game that could generate a lot of hype in the matches.

Once you're done with the game, you should pitch that idea to a tournament organizer, just saying.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Somedaaaaaaaaaaay... Somedaaaaaaaaay

I tried doing that at a meeting with my buds but they prefered playing Project M instead, bawwwww

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Whoa. Holy s***, good luck! If you're successful, this game's popularity will SKYROCKET!

4nace

Smash Ace
GOOD NEWS EVERYONE

So after discussing this with both Etalus and my brother, I have decided that I am going to shoot very high for COT5 Plans. I talked to Chibo and he gave some ideas for ways to throw the tournament and I think they are really good. Here let me quote you his idea for a setup:

vVv ChiboSempai said:
There's no need to make a specific schedule, people won't stick to it. Just have it set up, some people will naturally be interested in it to try it out and spread the word, then ask some pros while there if they wouldn't mind trying it.

I have a great idea on how to do a tournament for it. Say tournament for it starts at whatever time, then at that time people come over and line up. First two people to a set up play a match/set. Write down their names so you know they entered. If they lose, they are out, if they win, mark down that they did. Do this until interest drops, and try to get as many people as you can. You can have a ton of people in this, and this reduces the size by 50%, like 100 entrants to 50. It might also be smart to put like a 128 person cap on the entire tournament, first come first serve. Do 1 or 2 more rounds of these, and for each one randomly call up two people that won round 1 matches. Same procedure as before, if they lose they're out, if they win they go on. Do this until you're under 32 or 16 people, however big you want the bracket to be. Then make a single or double (prob single) elimination bracket of all the remaining people (there will be some byes if you didn't start with 64 or 128 people, who cares though. Play out the bracket. If it's a 16p bracket you can do double elim, if it's 32p you should prob do single.

It's how Pokemon tournaments are ran and they complete 768 person tournaments in this fashion in like 5-6 hours. They do have A LOT of setups though. Just run yours casually throughout the 2 days. I would try to get all the elimination rounds out of the way on day 1 and then bracket on day 2.
I agree with Chibo that this seems like the best idea. Now I am not sure of the room yet, but I was thinking of doing 3 laptops / one pc partitioned with 3 OSes and 3 Monitors. And then I have the option to use either wii-motes (if the laptops / pc can recieve bluetooth) or USB Gamepads, which I can get from Logitech for only 10 dollars each.

Now the Big plan with the tournament, that I haven't actually discussed with Chibo yet, is that I think I might make this a sort of "release party" for Smash Land. That means, I will probably make up some swag that can only be obtained at this event. I was thinking of making 6 unique CoT5 posters each featuring a single character and the date of the tournament. I have some other ideas for some unique goodies. These could be given to the winners of the tournament. I would probably put the winner on my site as the champion of the first Smash Land tournament. I was also thinking of printing out a nice jewel case and selling inversephase's soundtrack along with the game. Either for a donation or a low price. That also means that the game must be completed (or 99% done) by June 24-26th. If i can do that, then the release will definitely be tied to this tournament.

Now what does this mean for development? It means that I need to pick up the pace quite a bit. I sit now with the 6th and final character mostly sprited and coding beginning, but I still have 3 stages, endless mode and versus options to tackle. I also have a lot of balance to work on if I want the game to succeed at a tournament.

Another large feature that my brother and I discussed that I am thinking would greatly benefit the tournament setting is the ability to save replays similar to brawl. After the game, it would ask you if you want to save the information and then print out a text file with the information and all the inputs with timecodes that the game can read back and play the match back exactly. The biggest problem is that this feature would require a lot of work, and even then, I'm not sure if it would work 100%. I would love to do it, but the idea of having both this and the game done for June on top of my school projects seems doubtful.

So yeah, hopefully in a few days, I will be making a topic in Tournament Discussion that should enlighten members about the game and give them a chance to practice haha. I wanna clear up everything in my head first.

I am getting close to being able to share a teaser with you, but I think I will finish the 6th character and then tackle that last non-locked stage.

@Supreme Dirt
I never played Link's Awakening so if you could show me some screens to share your ideas that would be nice =P. As for P2P online. That is not in the plans for the original release, but depending on if i get a job for the summer / if the game is popular, then it is something I may pursue.

-4nace

Ultimortal

Smash Rookie
Great news on the tournament! :)

Recording the matches will work as long as you don't have any randomness in the game at all, or you use your own randomness algorithm and save the seed for the match (the former would be easier). Just keep track of what buttons are pressed each frame, since GM's input is frame-based and it never skips frames.

If you're not picky, a much easier way would be to record the X and Y positions of each character and their currently played animation/subimage each frame, along with keeping track of projectiles and explosions. It won't look as good and will have some visual oddities, plus the sound effects would require additional work to get into the replay, but at least it won't desync.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I'll try and get some screens of Tal Tal Mountain Range later.

*EDIT*

http://www.google.ca/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=link's+awakening+map

Mountain range at the top.

So many things could be used, the bridged areas, with maybe clouds or something as platforms, you could do something involving the egg, have it near Turtle Rock (The area on the far left of the mountain), etc.

And there's just so many areas in the map that are unique if that's not to your liking.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Don't forget I suggest a few LoZ levels a page back with video/notes.

I'm too lazy to copy and paste them onto this page.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Excellent news on that tournament, 4nace! Now you made me jealous, lol I want to go there after I've seen just how many goodies you plan to have then :(

Oh, and by the way, if you think you won't be able to keep with the schedule, why not ask for help? I'm sure there are more people over here in Smashboards that would very much like to help you in coding and stuff. And if you finish earlier, then you can use your time to work for school AND work in swag for the game.

4nace

Smash Ace
@Biglord
Hmmm I do like to keep my work close to my chest and since I have gotten this far I kinda want to just chug through it. However, if Ultimortal was willing to work with me over something like gmail chat or skype or something then I would definitely be willing to have him help me make a replay saving system. Although he is a busy guy and has lots of his own awesome game stuff to work on. The guy is brilliant, you should all google him sometime haha.

@Shortie

Oh yes, I remember. I will be making the Link stage soon, after the 6th character is in the engine and after 1 other stage. But once I am getting ready to make it, I will definitely be going back to yours and Supreme Dirt's.

@Supreme Dirt

I agree, LA does seem like a very good choice for the Zelda stage. It has lots of cool places and I could see the mountain range working pretty well. I think i am going to watch some youtube vids of LA gameplay when I can.

@Ultimortal
Yeah, when I was brainstorming in my head, I was thinking of creating a seed based off the time/date when the match is played and then storing that into the .txt file for the video. I used random in just a few places (such as some moves knockback direction (such as mario tornado) and particle effects like Kirby's sucking up). Like I said though, it is a lot of work and is slightly above my programming prowess right now. But I do enjoy learning =P.

Also you should all come to the tourney. Also HYPE Tournament Topic!

-4nace

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Is there going to be a moving stage of some sort? I could imagine such a thing being possible on the GB, I'm sure there was at least a game or two with a moving background in multiplayer.

Also, what buttons are used? I still haven't gotten around to actually trying this yet, I've just been watching a few matches on youtube. Mostly I want to know if it's feasible to use a NES controller with a USB converter.

4nace

Smash Ace
Hmmm.. I haven't thought of a good moving stage yet. But it is definitely possible in my engine.

As for the controller, if it is registered as a gamepad when you plug it in, I have a program in the .zip called joy2key which will automatically map the default controls to as many controllers as you have.

As for the NES controllers, I was thinking of buying these for the tournament-
http://www.amazon.com/NES-Controlle...3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1302495277&sr=1-3

And there are definitely enough buttons to play the game there.

DeeNinjaa

Smash Apprentice
I thought up something like this for a replay system:
l:Left
r:Right
u:Up
d:Down
a:Jump
b:Attack
i:idle
f:finish
#=Number of frames to hold action for.
Let's say there's a simple replay of Mario standing for 32 frames, attacking(fireball), then double-jumping and finishing with uair, landing, then moving right for 60 frames. The conversion would be:
i32baaubr60f

The replay file will be seperated into four lines, one for each player. If a player is absent, a single - will appear in that line. The only flaw in this is tap-jump...

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
How do I turn off tap-jump, btw? It's not really annoying or anything, I don't accidentally do it, but I just don't like it.

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
I thought up something like this for a replay system:
l:Left
r:Right
u:Up
d:Down
a:Jump
b:Attack
i:idle
f:finish
#=Number of frames to hold action for.
Let's say there's a simple replay of Mario standing for 32 frames, attacking(fireball), then double-jumping and finishing with uair, landing, then moving right for 60 frames. The conversion would be:
i32baaubr60f

The replay file will be seperated into four lines, one for each player. If a player is absent, a single - will appear in that line. The only flaw in this is tap-jump...
This is actually flawless and something similar is used in Brawl. But the files shouldn't look like that.
Save all the input and random seed for each frame. And there it is.

gabrielwoj

Smash Apprentice
Hello man, I would like to play Super Smash Land...
But, dude...
ALL your links of blog Pikimal DON'T work!
I try in every browser, it don't opens it!

PLEASE, fix that or upload something about mediafire or other service

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Ahh, the days of programming with Game Maker.

Actually, for that matter, the days of having a working laptop.

4nace

Smash Ace
So progress is going pretty well. Almost done coding the 6th character. Still trying to work out a backair for him/her and after playtesting the with the 5th, I may be changing his/her backair and forward air. The other attacks on both are feeling pretty good and getting ready for some balance testing =).

I still haven't had a chance to make the last non-secret stage, but once I have it done, I will put out a teaser video to show off its awesomeness =P

In the meantime, wrastor, etalus and I recorded a 2 of 3 doubles set that I want to upload sometime this week to show you how those play out at a competitive level.

Also in the meantime, I saw these pictures in a gallery and had to do something with them, so i made this:

-4nace

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Inb4youtrolleveryoneandmetaknightisinSSL

:p

If you're out of ideas for that bair you could... you know... reveal us via PM the character that you're developing so we can suggest stuff to you.

DeeNinjaa

Smash Apprentice
It's not hard to come up with one move when it's the only one left. I'm sure 4nace is fine on his own.
Offtopic: He has the same name as my brother.

...what? Don't give me that look. The post looked too short.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
It's been days. DAAAYS!

You know what the worst thing about the wait is? I can only play single-player (classic mode) because nobody will play my Link, not even among my Brawl/Smash buddies :(

Actually... Here's an idea: wanna compare highscores right now? I'll probably end up ashamed at myself but lol.

My highscore with Link is currently 186620 points.

4nace

Smash Ace
@BigLord
Wow that is an impressive score. My highest score is with Kirby and is 162,820. What is your combined score at?

Also
Yeah, sorry about the lack of updates recently. Been busy with school work. However, over the weekend, I just brought Super Smash Land to TooManyGames and had people testing out the game at a booth. I used some donations to get a banner and some business cards so I looked really official haha. Here's a pic of the background of my booth and me!

Also, development is going well. The last two characters are done and the 6th is being balanced. I came up with a suitable backair so i didn't have to share haha =P. I think I will be announcing the 6th character as the final release launches, if it is not leaked before then hah.

I also met the people at block sprites and will be getting a set of either 4-6 characters to give away as prizes at the Super Smash Land tournament at COT5 on June 25th.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/xelzor

Finally, I will start making the new stages soon so I hope to have a video or two up showing you the new design that is not locked. But yeah, sorry for the lack of news. I'll have stuff to show/discuss soon =).

-Dan

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Badass, 4nace! That's really cool to see this getting some recognition.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I can't put my excitement into a more appropriate exclamation. But. . . . .

We so esssited!

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
That pic needs a caption, haha congratulations! Things are going sa-weeeet for this excellent fan-game.

Also, my total score is 602780. Is that... errm... good?

4nace

Smash Ace
If you guys want to see why there haven't been updates for 2 weeks, it is because I have been hard at work finishing up graduation and working on this game.

However, I still plan on having the final release of this out by June 24th with a release event at Chibo's tournament.

-Dan

DeeNinjaa

Smash Apprentice
T...Triple Triad....I'm sorry, Dan, but that NEEEEEEEEDS online play or I'll never be happy ;_;
I love it to death, honestly. But you must find a way to make it Online. At least tell me this - is the music just as catchy as the original TT?

Skipps

Smash Rookie
Hello my name is Skipps, sry my english is not good.

I am a Spritemaker.
I have make a PokBall Sprites with the game maker. Do you need a Pokball Sprite?. I have make it in the SMLgame colours.
I can make for you many others Sprites, If you need more Sprites.

Skipps

Smash Rookie

I had made for the game a Samus Map, I hope i could help you :)

Sry my english is not good.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
That's actually very good looking :) but I doubt he's accepting help right now. However, I'm sure your effort is very appreciated.

Maybe he'll need something from you later ^_^

Top Bottom