• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS Is Breaking Circle Pads

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Nice thread. You don't really need to press down on the circle pad or even push the buttons with too much force.

If you break your 3DS playing Smash, just don't go blaming the game.

Kalierdarke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kalierdarke
Ah, I see you have the industrial regulations there with you, would you like the quote the relevant sections then?

Again, this isn't about me, or how I play it, but about not palming off what is a problem to people by being overly arrogant about how I do things as opposed to others. People are having problems (again, not me) and are voicing their concerns, do you not see how palming them off because you don't understand their problem is both rude and a bit odd?

As "normal use" is not outlined on the packaging, or in any directly obvious way through use of the product, you can't state that the people having problems have gone beyond undefined normal use, because to them, it was normal use that caused the problem.
Oh I understand the problem, I've seen someone break the pad on stream, and the other streamer with them called them an idiot because they was pressing the pad too hard. You just refuse to admit that the problem in this specific case is not with Nintendo, but the people playing the game. Out of the large number of people playing the game, most of them are not having any problems with the 3DS breaking.

Tweedle

Smash Apprentice
Are people seriously saying that if the Circle Pad cannot take really rough movements, that it's Nintendos fault? How about you take care of your stuff? I'd understand if everyones was breaking from normal play, but that's not the case.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
Warning Received
Oh I understand the problem, I've seen someone break the pad on stream, and the other streamer with them called them an idiot because they was pressing the pad too hard. You just refuse to admit that the problem in this specific case is not with Nintendo, but the people playing the game. Out of the large number of people playing the game, most of them are not having any problems with the 3DS breaking.
I like how the world revolves around what you find troubling...

Seriously, are you basically saying you have no care or consideration for other people's problems? If this was one or two isolated people, then that's fine, but it sounds like there's a few who are not only having this problem now, but have had issues in the past. If you just think people are idiots for having problems, then you should probably leave them to it.

At the end of the day though, it does seem to be a problem for some people, and the simple point is that if playing the console can break the stick, then it's a problem, it's that simply, no matter how you palm it off. Hopefully those in areas with proper consumer laws keep that in mind and make sure that the bill for any repairs they may incur are put on the right parties, rather than being shamed by people like you who seemingly only care for what seems a problem to them.

AidanTheGreat

Smash Journeyman
Time to break my 3ds xl to get the new 3ds xl! :D
What did it ever do to you? o A o Sadly I can't get rid of my 3ds xl to get one of the new 3ds xl's. I own too many games on mine. Games usually get sold out really fast here, and animal crossing, fire emblem awakening amung a few others were sold out before I got there, so I had to get downloadable versions when they were released. I have maybe 5 full 3DS games that are downloaded onto my 3ds XL. As well as like 6 physical games, but still, I would lose 5 whole games.

Kalierdarke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kalierdarke
I like how the world revolves around what you find troubling...

Seriously, are you basically saying you have no care or consideration for other people's problems? If this was one or two isolated people, then that's fine, but it sounds like there's a few who are not only having this problem now, but have had issues in the past. If you just think people are idiots for having problems, then you should probably leave them to it.

At the end of the day though, it does seem to be a problem for some people, and the simple point is that if playing the console can break the stick, then it's a problem, it's that simply, no matter how you palm it off. Hopefully those in areas with proper consumer laws keep that in mind and make sure that the bill for any repairs they may incur are put on the right parties, rather than being shamed by people like you who seemingly only care for what seems a problem to them.

I love how your argument has essentially devolved into insulting me by saying things I never said.

is it a shame the control pad is breaking? yes. All I'm saying is it is not nintendo's fault that people are mistreating their game systems. If this was a widespread issue among everyone playing the game then yes, but it is not, and many of the people who have broken their control pads either admitted they were maybe a bit rough, or had someone else(in the case of streams) point it out.

Last edited:

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
uhh... now that i see more of these pictures i'm suddenly feeling relieved. look at how disgusting and damaged many of these systems are OUTSIDE of the circle pad. doesn't seem like the people who this happened to take very good care of their electronics.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
I love how your argument has essentially devolved into insulting me by saying things I never said.

is it a shame the control pad is breaking? yes. All I'm saying is it is not nintendo's fault that people are mistreating their game systems. If this was a widespread issue among everyone playing the game then yes, but it is not, and many of the people who have broken their control pads either admitted they were maybe a bit rough, or had someone else(in the case of streams) point it out.
You stated that it's not a problem, with the entirety of your reasoning being that you didn't think it was a problem. There is no insult in reiterating the point you made for context.

Your argument came across as shaming those who may have problems, and suggested multiple times that it would need to be entirely their mistakes, going as far as using the term "idiots".

I do not know the extent of this problem, I don't think anyone does, but I have heard about such issues in the past, and there are those only complaining of the issue now. Rather than jumping to victim blaming (which is never the right way to go), my position is that if the console is breaking with what people would consider normal use (what they would consider), then the fault is on Nintendo's part. To my understanding, my local laws have provisions of this as well, and this issue would not be put on the shoulders of the user, as any item that breaks through what any reasonable person could consider normal use, it is considered not fit for purpose.

Beatness

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Beatness
3DS FC
5412-9896-3151
I'm pretty worried about this. I've had my original 3ds since midnight release, and the pad of circle pad is starting come off a tiny bit from the many games I've gone through. Since I'm going to be dumping 100s of hours into the 3ds version until the Wii U version comes out, I'm a bit nervous my circle pad won't last that long.

Beatness

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Beatness
3DS FC
5412-9896-3151
I have maybe 5 full 3DS games that are downloaded onto my 3ds XL. As well as like 6 physical games, but still, I would lose 5 whole games.
Has Nintendo still not implemented downloaded games linked to your NNID?

AidanTheGreat

Smash Journeyman
Has Nintendo still not implemented downloaded games linked to your NNID?
I'm not sure, but I don't think so. Plus, these were all downloaded before the NNID came out, which makes me unsure if it would work. Still, I'm curious now if they have implemented something that will allow you to download them on a new console off your account.

Kalierdarke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kalierdarke
I'm pretty worried about this. I've had my original 3ds since midnight release, and the pad of circle pad is starting come off a tiny bit from the many games I've gone through. Since I'm going to be dumping 100s of hours into the 3ds version until the Wii U version comes out, I'm a bit nervous my circle pad won't last that long.
how much is a tiny bit, if I might ask? I had my original too and all the coating on the buttons was peeling off, it's why I finally decided to get an XL back in june or so.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Dude. Be nice to your 3DS, it is normal that your circle pad wear off but this?! What a nightmare!

Kalierdarke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kalierdarke
I'm not sure, but I don't think so. Plus, these were all downloaded before the NNID came out, which makes me unsure if it would work. Still, I'm curious now if they have implemented something that will allow you to download them on a new console off your account.
You can transfer all your shop/downloads/Friend Code from one 3DS to another with the transfer tool. It basically transfers all your data from one system to the other. You won't have access to it anymore on the old system, but everything will be there on the new one, games, saves, shop data, friends, NNID, everything.

AidanTheGreat

Smash Journeyman
You can transfer all your shop/downloads/Friend Code from one 3DS to another with the transfer tool. It basically transfers all your data from one system to the other. You won't have access to it anymore on the old system, but everything will be there on the new one, games, saves, shop data, friends, NNID, everything.
This is amazing news! Thanks a ton for letting me know. I was a bit worried as I have so much content on my 3DS, but this gives me a bit more incentive into the idea of buying the new 3DS XL when it comes out. I could always give my 3DS XL too my sister, if we ever see each other again.

Kalierdarke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kalierdarke
This is amazing news! Thanks a ton for letting me know. I was a bit worried as I have so much content on my 3DS, but this gives me a bit more incentive into the idea of buying the new 3DS XL when it comes out. I could always give my 3DS XL too my sister, if we ever see each other again.
Glad I could help, I recently bought the Year of Luigi 3DS XL to replace my aging 3DS. Took a while to transfer everything but it all moved over fine. The only thing to know is any pre-loaded games on the system you're moving to(like Mario & Luigi Dream Team in my case) will appear on your account in the shop and require you to re-download them.

:edit: For the record, you could transfer from the DSi to the 3DS as well, so I'm pretty sure the transfer tool will exist as well when the New 3DS comes out.

Last edited:

AidanTheGreat

Smash Journeyman
Glad I could help, I recently bought the Year of Luigi 3DS XL to replace my aging 3DS. Took a while to transfer everything but it all moved over fine. The only thing to know is any pre-loaded games on the system you're moving to(like Mario & Luigi Dream Team in my case) will appear on your account in the shop and require you to re-download them.
But I'll still have my save files correct? I actually have not bought any games from the shop but instead, at my local store I purchased downloadable versions of games. On one of my past birthdays I received a downloadable code for fire emblem awakening, and my mom bought me a downloadable code of animal crossing new leaf back when that came out. I got star fox 64 through a downloadable code I got from that 3ds + luigis mansion deal on club nintendo. And Mario kart 7 came preinstalled. Will I be able to transfer all of these? If not, which ones can I transfer? (I understand you might not know and that's fine ~ ^ - ^ )

Kalierdarke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kalierdarke
But I'll still have my save files correct? I actually have not bought any games from the shop but instead, at my local store I purchased downloadable versions of games. On one of my past birthdays I received a downloadable code for fire emblem awakening, and my mom bought me a downloadable code of animal crossing new leaf back when that came out. I got star fox 64 through a downloadable code I got from that 3ds + luigis mansion deal on club nintendo. And Mario kart 7 came preinstalled. Will I be able to transfer all of these? If not, which ones can I transfer? (I understand you might not know and that's fine ~ ^ - ^ )
I have awakening, luigi's mansion, and pokemon Y downloaded on my 3DS, every last bit of the save transferred perfectly, as well as the ability to redownload them in the shop if I had to. It doesn't matter where you obtained the download code from either, it saves to your shop account, which is transferred as well through this method.

Last edited:

AidanTheGreat

Smash Journeyman
I have awakening, luigi's mansion, and pokemon Y downloaded on my 3DS, every last bit of the save transferred perfectly, as well as the ability to redownload them in the shop if I had to. It doesn't matter where you obtained the download code from either, it saves to your shop account, which is transferred as well through this method.
Alright, thanks again! Everything should work out than. I just thought it might be different since I got the codes from the store instead of directly buying the game through the eshop. Everything seems clarified for me now though, so thanks a ton ~ The only one I don't think I'll be able to transfer is mario kart 7 since that came pre installed. But Star fox 64, fire emblem awakening, and animal crossing new leaf were all through codes.

Kalierdarke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kalierdarke
Alright, thanks again! Everything should work out than. I just thought it might be different since I got the codes from the store instead of directly buying the game through the eshop. Everything seems clarified for me now though, so thanks a ton ~ The only one I don't think I'll be able to transfer is mario kart 7 since that came pre installed. But Star fox 64, fire emblem awakening, and animal crossing new leaf were all through codes.

Anything that comes pre-installed will already be on your shop account for the system, and if you're transferring to a system that has pre-installs, the game on the destination system will also be merged into your shop. You should not lose anything that you have on the system.

Last edited:

AidanTheGreat

Smash Journeyman
Anything that comes pre-installed will already be on your shop account for the system, and if you're transferring to a system that has pre-installs, the game on the destination system will also be merged into your shop. You should not lose anything that you have on the system.
Yay. Alright, everything in my mind is at ease. Thank you kamisama.

Dustination

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dustination
3DS FC
5215-1019-9015
If you guys are worried about your Circle Pads breaking, I really recommend you buy a pack of these:

I bought some recently on EBay for about $10, they feel great and the rubber probably won't fall off/tear. (I'm using bottom middle, it really feels like a Gamecube thumbstick!) Just look up 3DS Circlepad cover on Amazon/Ebay and you'll probably find some.

(I don't know if this has been posted already, sorry!)

Last edited:

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
...Okay, seriously, what? I've never had any kind of issues whatsoever like these with any handheld before and that includes this one. I'm looking at this image and have no idea how in the world that could happen when I play my 3DS non-stop and it still remains intact to this day and yet apparently them ended up like that is a common thing among you folks?

What the actual hell are you people doing to your 3DSes? Seriously!? O_o

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
So, the inputs from SSBM were modified?

Well, SSBM was THE game that made me love video game in the first place so, lots of experience and nostalgia. With me playing this game that much back them, I can understand that I became used to it.

Which leaves the problem of trying to change this...

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Yo! Throw up an R Rating on this thread because that image is horrifying! I'm scared.

inb4 "3ds wasn't made to handle Smash"

Last edited:

Renji64

Smash Lord
The 3ds is pretty fragile compared to normal controllers. From all the reviews i read about ssbm people say the controls were ultra responsive i don't think you had to mash for inputs. I'm just trying to take it easy on mines.

Steve178

Smash Rookie
are you able to have 2 NNID's on your 3DS? my original NNID was permabanned cause i kept trolling miiverse lol. now i've got a new Miiverse account however all of eshop games are tied to my old account still.

was just wondering if my banned NNID will effect my Smash Bros much at all?

RNH

Smash Cadet
If any of yours fall off, its ok, don panic, use super glue.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Urk...I remember this happened to my old 3ds...my arm got caught up in the charger cable while it was attached and it pulled it off onto the ground. I froze in fear of the possibilities of what I'd find...when I picked it up it looked just like this. What a dreadful feeling that was...:urg:

Back to topic though, I'm glad you covered this so well and the way you did. People get so heavy handed with handhelds unnecessarily, they're designed for light, gentle inputs not intense inputs ._. Now to hope this thread gets enough exposure.

Last edited:

NintendoPSX

Smash Journeyman
If you're playing Smash Bros 3DS and you break the Circle pad, you're not playing it right.

Beatness

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Beatness
3DS FC
5412-9896-3151
how much is a tiny bit, if I might ask? I had my original too and all the coating on the buttons was peeling off, it's why I finally decided to get an XL back in june or so.
The circle pad is just coming off on one side a bit, so I can lift up the pad on one side with my finger. Other than that my 3ds is in prett good shape.

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
Geez, how hard are these people playing? You don't need to abuse your 3ds to play!

I don't plan on being rough with my 3ds XL when playing Smash. I hate being aggressive with my controllers in general.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
While the circle pad came off of my analogue stick from prologned Kid Icarus exposure, I'm sure I'll be fine if I just play it gently and take care of the poor thing. >w<;;

Top Bottom