• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS Is Breaking Circle Pads

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I think it's just not being careful. I've been able to work just fine with multiple games that require fast circle pad inputs and I haven't broken it yet.

I also played the demo and it still works fine.

kataridragon

Smash Ace
I'm mildly concerned. I don't smash the stick to hard so I'm not really worried. If it does break I'll get it repaired or buy a new one. Lol

PeterJude

Smash Ace
that's the thing. smashing the stick hard enough to snap the plastic in two is not normal use in any way. It would be like complaining that your keyboard broke because you was smashing the keys full force.

To break a circle pad on a 3DS you have to be putting more pressure on it than is outlined in normal operating guidelines for the device. so no, it is not nintendo's fault, it is user error.
The device doesn't have huge warnings on it telling us the exact amount of pressure that can be put on it, and if people are having problems it's pretty clear that it's within reason that people using the device properly are capable of breaking it. If it really does take me really slamming it to break the stick, that's fine, but if I pick up the game, and that stick breaks, Nintendo are paying to fix it, because it's damn well clear that it's not fit for purpose.

I don't know, maybe I'm spoiled living in a country's that standard is that products actually work as intended, but to me a games console's thumb stick, or any kind, should be more than capable of dealing with anything that the thumb can dish out. Normal use isn't a three year old with a thumb injury, normal use is any user playing the game naturally, and even if you've suddenly decided to yourself that "normal use" has some kind of self proclaimed magnitude, without the console coming with specifics and clear warnings (on the packaging, and on the console) detailing potential issues, then anything anyone's thumb can dish out is and should be fair game.

Kalierdarke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kalierdarke
The device doesn't have huge warnings on it telling us the exact amount of pressure that can be put on it, and if people are having problems it's pretty clear that it's within reason that people using the device properly are capable of breaking it. If it really does take me really slamming it to break the stick, that's fine, but if I pick up the game, and that stick breaks, Nintendo are paying to fix it, because it's damn well clear that it's not fit for purpose.

I don't know, maybe I'm spoiled living in a country's that standard is that products actually work as intended, but to me a games console's thumb stick, or any kind, should be more than capable of dealing with anything that the thumb can dish out. Normal use isn't a three year old with a thumb injury, normal use is any user playing the game naturally, and even if you've suddenly decided to yourself that "normal use" has some kind of self proclaimed magnitude, without the console coming with specifics and clear warnings (on the packaging, and on the console) detailing potential issues, then anything anyone's thumb can dish out is and should be fair game.
I had my original 3DS since the system launched, only recently replacing it with an XL 2-3 months ago because the paint/coating was starting to come off and was causing injury. I've played many games before that required quick inputs, including stuff like Guilty Gear. unless you are actually trying to break it, or one of those people that threw their wiimote at the TV screen because you have no self control, it's not going to break.

Hoser

Smash Ace
Well, it seems like this game is going to make me a bunch of money then (I repair gaming consoles, including 3DS/2DS)

PeterJude

Smash Ace
I had my original 3DS since the system launched, only recently replacing it with an XL 2-3 months ago because the paint/coating was starting to come off and was causing injury. I've played many games before that required quick inputs, including stuff like Guilty Gear. unless you are actually trying to break it, or one of those people that threw their wiimote at the TV screen because you have no self control, it's not going to break.
That's a cool story and all, but it doesn't change the legal definition of fit for purpose, nor the fact that if it breaks under use that it's clearly not fit for purpose. If it really does take you basically trying to rip the stick off the break, that's fine, but if people are really having a problem on mass, it's a defect with the console.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Wow, I have the demo and it's really a big issue now.

For those who are saying that I don't take proper care, sorry, but it's impossible to react as quick as I want and not pushing the stick enough t break the cover. If you move the sticker ONLY which is what I usually did on this system, no problem. For smash, sorry, but you need to press a button AND COMPLETELY push the stick in a direction. Because up smash and up tilt is different, you have to push it all the way up and at the same time, press a button which is VERY quick.

It's the same problem for the GC stick. How many of you got one detached?

At least, you can pause and reatach it if it fells off, but online match...that will be difficult to manage,

This is the only time it managed to detach 5 times in a row in my entire system life.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
So you can't use the d-pad as an option for movement and have the circle pad for taunts?

Tails1000

Smash Cadet
If I tried to play this game at a really competitive level, and played on my 3ds similar to how I use a GC controller, I'm pretty sure my circle pad would break too. I just get way too into it when I'm really trying hard.
That's why I decided I'm mostly only going to play for fun mode on the 3ds, and try not to strain my circle pad that much. When the Wii u version comes out I'll really get into the competitive game :)

boobeardabes

Smash Rookie
could somebdoy wtih the demo/full game make a youtube video showing the correct and incorrect way to play with the circle pad? would be a nice PSA and could save many a 3ds.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Hmm, has anyone ever used an arcade stick for Smash? I know people prefer the GameCube controller, but I'm wondering if anyone has used the arcade stick competitively and for fun.

Minty_

Smash Apprentice
I wonder if the 2DS's circle pad is a bit more durable, in accordance with it's more "kid friendly" design. . . or is it made of the exact same materials?

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Sakurai actually has a secret plan to get back at Nintendo for forcing him to make sequels by making amazing 3DS games (Smash Bros, KI:U) that require the Circle Pad to be used so much that everybody's 3DS breaks and everyone gets mad at Nintendo, forcing Nintendo to replace everyone's 3DS.

That, or Nintendo and Sakurai are working together to break everyone's 3DS so they're forced to buy the New 3DS.

JetpackX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JetpackX
3DS FC
0877-2713-1529
Sakurai actually has a secret plan to get back at Nintendo for forcing him to make sequels by making amazing 3DS games (Smash Bros, KI:U) that require the Circle Pad to be used so much that everybody's 3DS breaks and everyone gets mad at Nintendo, forcing Nintendo to replace everyone's 3DS.

That, or Nintendo and Sakurai are working together to break everyone's 3DS so they're forced to buy the New 3DS.
That. Is. Genius.

Renji64

Smash Lord
I guess that is the downfall of having smash on 3ds i hope mines don't break i just got i'm making sure to take it easy on my circle pad. The 3ds seems a bit too fragile for smash in general.

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah, but if it sells a ton, then it's a great way of getting rich. Just look at Coca Cola or McDonalds.
I doubt smash bros users, even in the worst case scenario, would be going through a case of replacement sticks per week, or even month, or even year.

Worst case scenario, maybe people will go through a replacement stick every couple months. That's hardly any money at all for Nintendo. Especially considering though replacement sticks are made by a third party, and NOT by Nintendo. That fact alone would really put a dent in this evil get rich fast scheme.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I doubt smash bros users, even in the worst case scenario, would be going through a case of replacement sticks per week, or even month, or even year.

Worst case scenario, maybe people will go through a replacement stick every couple months. That's hardly any money at all for Nintendo. Especially considering though replacement sticks are made by a third party, and NOT by Nintendo. That fact alone would really put a dent in this evil get rich fast scheme.
Well, greed is one of the seven deadly sins so...

Also, I don't doubt there are people who treat everything they own like it's trash. You should see used games and how broken they are. Even the discs are messed up. Poor, little games, what did they ever do to you? :sadeyes:

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, greed is one of the seven deadly sins so...

Also, I don't doubt there are people who treat everything they own like it's trash. You should see used games and how broken they are. Even the discs are messed up. Poor, little games, what did they ever do to you? :sadeyes:
Those people deserved to be gouged.

RNH

Smash Cadet
No big deal guys, super glue seems to do the trick and makes it even more durable than before.

Still hope I don't break mine tho.

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
Wow, I have the demo and it's really a big issue now.
It's the same problem for the GC stick. How many of you got one detached?
...hold on, WHAT?! I have had a Gamecube since launch, played Melee to death, also used the same controller for every other game, including most Wii Games and Brawl, and my controller is JUST fine even to this day. That's 12 years of Smash and more.

Are you putting as much power as you possibly can into your thumb each time you smash or something?

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
...hold on, WHAT?! I have had a Gamecube since launch, played Melee to death, also used the same controller for every other game, including most Wii Games and Brawl, and my controller is JUST fine even to this day. That's 12 years of Smash and more.

Are you putting as much power as you possibly can into your thumb each time you smash or something?
I'm pointing out that a lot of sticks and I mean a surprising quantity got broken.

I almost broke mine, but I just don;t get how you can push completely the stick as you press on a button and NOT push it with a slight force.

Pressing A is VERY quick, but pushing a stick in reflex time of reaction is slow if you don't force it.

At least that's what I got, but on 3ds, you can just put back the cover and it;s fine, but you need to pause...

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
i don't think the circle pad is even responsive to pressure, so it's just a waste that this happened. lol

*oh god i hope i'm not playing that harshly*
i'm generally not super forceful, though, going by my history of never breaking anything except for one of the shoulders of my DSlite during high school, but i heard that just happened with a particular model.

Last edited:

PeterJude

Smash Ace
Think of it like this.

Remember when the Wii came out and people were breaking TVs with the Wiimotes? It's not because of the game, it's because people are going overboard with their play. the 3DS stick is VERY responsive, a lot of times I get smashes when I try and do a tilt, and I barely move the stick. People just need to chill out.
...why do you keep bringing up the wiimotes, it is a different situation. In that case it were Nintendo products causing damage to third party products, users (and third parties), as well as the wiimote itself), and the wrist straps were found to be inadequate to prevent such damage. Nintendo would from there produce better wrist straps and use more warnings in the games themselves.

In this case however is it a component failing under use. They are not only not comparable, but even if we pretended they are, it is still Nintendo's responsibility to fix the problem.

To be completely honest, nobody should care if you think you're the cloudtouch monach of 3DS gaming, if the stick breaks through use, then it is not fit for purpose, it really is as simple as that. It doesn't matter if you define normal use to be much less than other people, because if people are having issues, then there are clearly issues. To palm it off because of your feathery touch isn't appropriate.

This isn't even coming from me having broken anything myself. My 3DS is in great condition (bought on release day), I still have my original wii motes (never broke anything with those) , all my gamecube controllers and I still have working SEGA consoles from when I was a small child, still in working order I might add. I take care of my consoles, but the point is that if a significant fraction of users have had their 3DS sticks break through what they deem normal use, then that is a problem, and a serious one at that, particularly if they end up being the ones to foot the bill to fix it. Any control stick should be able to survive an entire console generation worth of punishment from even the most over the top player, but by the sounds of it, less than a week of Smash Bros 3DS is enough to do the damage for many users. That isn't a small concern, that's a massive one.

Last edited:

NefariousShyGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NefariousShyGuy
3DS FC
3609-1047-1128
In response to the plague of broken circle pads:
http://kotaku.com/super-smash-bros-is-wrecking-some-peoples-3ds-handheld-1634549128

In Melee, you pretty much had to mash the controller to have the game read your input. You had to roughly tap the control stick in order to execute a smash attack, and the only way to break free from grabs and dizziness was to wiggle the control stick and rapidly press all the buttons. Basically, the faster your fingers are, the more advantage you have in battle. You know how it is with Melee. This worked fine because the gamecube controllers were designed to be durable and handle that much input at once.

In Brawl however, things changed. You could tap the control stick gently and still be able to execute smash attacks, and you didn't have to button mash as much to break free from grabs and dizziness. This was possible because the input in Brawl had a much higher sensitivity, and it was implemented to prevent people from being too rough with their controllers and damaging them (keep in mind that there were now other controller types besides the GC controller). This method worked, but many complained that the controls were too sensitive, and that it made them execute the wrong attacks.

In Smash 3DS, the controls have been completely retooled since the game is being played on a completely new controller and system. It was programmed so that players could gently tap the 3DS buttons and circle pad, and still execute attacks in a very fast and accurate manner. Every gentle input you make counts, making smash attacks, dashes, and fast falls intuitive, but not to the point of being too sensitive like in Brawl. You could break free from grabs and dizziness by repeatedly pressing the XYAB face buttons and wiggling the control stick GENTLY. If your 3DS wiggles like a GC controller does when you play, you're being too rough!

We all know the consequences of being too rough with a 3DS:

That is all.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
...why do you keep bringing up the wiimotes, it is a different situation. In that case it were Nintendo products causing damage to third party products, users (and third parties), as well as the wiimote itself), and the wrist straps were found to be inadequate to prevent such damage. Nintendo would from there produce better wrist straps and use more warnings in the games themselves.

In this case however is it a component failing under use. They are not only not comparable, but even if we pretended they are, it is still Nintendo's responsibility to fix the problem.

To be completely honest, nobody should care if you think you're the cloudtouch monach of 3DS gaming, if the stick breaks through use, then it is not fit for purpose, it really is as simple as that. It doesn't matter if you define normal use to be much less than other people, because if people are having issues, then there are clearly issues. To palm it off because of your feathery touch isn't appropriate.

This isn't even coming from me having broken anything myself. My 3DS is in great condition (bought on release day), I still have my original wii motes (never broke anything with those) , all my gamecube controllers and I still have working SEGA consoles from when I was a small child, still in working order I might add. I take care of my consoles, but the point is that if a significant fraction of users have had their 3DS sticks break through what they deem normal use, then that is a problem, and a serious one at that, particularly if they end up being the ones to foot the bill to fix it. Any control stick should be able to survive an entire console generation worth of punishment from even the most over the top player, but by the sounds of it, less than a week of Smash Bros 3DS is enough to do the damage for many users. That isn't a small concern, that's a massive one.
I only needed an hour...

And it's the first time it fell off.

Like, just stop complaining that it's not an issue, because I tried and I can't make it so that I'm guaranted to always have to cover on. As soon as you push the stick and let me tell you that it's not slowly with how you need to move it, you need to apply preasure.

Like, I wonder if it's because my 3ds is first model, but I'm surprised that it's that sensitive for this game. You need months and years to break a GC stick so, I don't get why it takes so little to break this one. At least, you can put it back, but not for online...

Kalierdarke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kalierdarke

The wrist straps were inadequate because people were swinging the wiimotes harder than they were intended to be swung, in the same way the circle pads are breaking because people are smashing them back and forth TOO HARD. it is the same thing, when nintendo designed the game system it was never intended for people to smash the circle pad as hard as they are. Don't blame nintendo because you can't control yourself while playing a game designed by someone who did not design the 3DS.

Last edited:

PeterJude

Smash Ace
The wrist straps were inadequate because people were swinging the wiimotes harder than they were intended to be swung, in the same way the circle pads are breaking because people are smashing them back and forth TOO HARD. it is the same thing, when nintendo designed the game system it was never intended for people to smash the circle pad as hard as they are. Don't blame nintendo because you can't control yourself while playing a game designed by someone who did not design the 3DS.
I can control myself, but that's not the point. Being fit for purpose requires that it be able to stand up to the rigors it will likely face, and simply blaming and shaming people for doing it as they naturally would is ridiculous. Nintendo are required to make sure their products are fit for purpose, and if the stick does break by use by a thumb in the course of playing a game, then it clearly isn't up to it.

Mistress Nicole

Smash Apprentice
Oh god that image is scary...

I'm never really rough with my XL... I just think the adrenaline from playing might make some people prone to smashing (lol) the Circle pad.

Last edited:

Kalierdarke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kalierdarke
I can control myself, but that's not the point. Being fit for purpose requires that it be able to stand up to the rigors it will likely face, and simply blaming and shaming people for doing it as they naturally would is ridiculous. Nintendo are required to make sure their products are fit for purpose, and if the stick does break by use by a thumb in the course of playing a game, then it clearly isn't up to it.
No, being fit for purpose requires that it stand up under NORMAL use. The situations that caused the failures is not normal use.

My X button failing through wear and tear is normal use. R button failing under wear and tear is normal use. electronics break down after so much use. My DS's screen suddenly decided to stop work for no reason was a problem with the system.

The circle pad breaking because you're putting more pressure on it than was intended is not normal use.

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
It's just people playing the game way too hard. I've been playing the demo and you really don't need to thrash the circle pad around to get results, it works totally fine. Just be mindful of what you're doing and you'll be fine.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
No, being fit for purpose requires that it stand up under NORMAL use. The situations that caused the failures is not normal use.

My X button failing through wear and tear is normal use. R button failing under wear and tear is normal use. electronics break down after so much use. My DS's screen suddenly decided to stop work for no reason was a problem with the system.

The circle pad breaking because you're putting more pressure on it than was intended is not normal use.
To those people it is normal use. You can't just make up a level of normal when it clearly isn't what people consider normal. If this is happening to enough people for it to get this visible, it's clearly not being caused by something beyond the realms of "normal use".

If Nintendo underestimates what normal use was going to be, that's still their problem to deal with, particularly if it becomes a major issue with a flagship series. The funny part is that Nintendo are likely to be more anxious than any of us to make sure this isn't an issue, as people being scared to play this game in fear of ruining their 3DS could be a huge problem, far more than the cost of fixing them.

Last edited:

Kalierdarke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kalierdarke
To those people it is normal use. You can't just make up a level of normal when it clearly isn't what people consider normal. If this is happening to enough people for it to get this visible, it's clearly not being caused by something beyond the realms of "normal use".

If Nintendo underestimates what normal use was going to be, that's still their problem to deal with, particularly if it becomes a major issue with a flagship series.
under nintendo's quality control testing, and industry standards, it is NOT normal use. Even the people streaming For Glory on the japanese version right now are seriously confused as to how anyone could break the circle pad without smashing it around like an idiot.

This is not melee/brawl, the controls are FAR more responsive. If you have such a problem with it, don't play it.

AntPlus

Smash Rookie
NNID
Solidant
3DS FC
3582-9131-7358

If Nintendo underestimates what normal use was going to be, that's still their problem to deal with, particularly if it becomes a major issue with a flagship series.
Normal use means not slamming the circle pad around like it's a stick on a controller. I know this because I have witnessed first hand someone playing the smash demo and treating it like it was a gamecube controller. Normal use is just moving the thing around, and yes smash attack do require having to press a with the general direction but seriously all you need is to tap the direction with at not hold the direction with intense pressure.

AntPlus

Smash Rookie
NNID
Solidant
3DS FC
3582-9131-7358
I'm just sayin' that people are just slamming they're friggin' pads too hard when it comes to either dashing or smash attacks.

1) You can accomplish both by lightly tapping the direction you want and lightly holding it there when dashing, or just letting it go and holding down A when smashing.

2) Stop acting likes it's a controller. Controllers are meant to handle more pressure then the 3DS' circle pad

3) I just wanted to put a 3 here

PeterJude

Smash Ace
under nintendo's quality control testing, and industry standards, it is NOT normal use. Even the people streaming For Glory on the japanese version right now are seriously confused as to how anyone could break the circle pad without smashing it around like an idiot.

This is not melee/brawl, the controls are FAR more responsive. If you have such a problem with it, don't play it.
Ah, I see you have the industrial regulations there with you, would you like the quote the relevant sections then?

Again, this isn't about me, or how I play it, but about not palming off what is a problem to people by being overly arrogant about how I do things as opposed to others. People are having problems (again, not me) and are voicing their concerns, do you not see how palming them off because you don't understand their problem is both rude and a bit odd?

As "normal use" is not outlined on the packaging, or in any directly obvious way through use of the product, you can't state that the people having problems have gone beyond undefined normal use, because to them, it was normal use that caused the problem.

Top Bottom