• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS Is Breaking Circle Pads

PlTe

Smash Journeyman
That is worrisome. Well, at least I'm not a vigorous circle pad user. This is good, actually, that we're finding out about this. Be careful, everybody!

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549
My circle pad is fine, but I let a friend play it last night, and he was slamming the pad like no tomorrow. I was sitting, cringing, and thinking "this thing isn't going to last another match like this". I think it all has to do with the care you put into it. Some people just can't hold back when playing it, and that's their problem.

ffdgh

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4768-8177-0708
Good grief. The circle is responsive enough without needed to smash(lol) it.

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
It's one thing to replace a worn out gamecube controller. Replacing a whole handheld is a different story. That's gonna cost you. At least it looks like you can fix it with some good glue.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
People are worrying too much about this, if the circle pad can handle games like Monster Hunter and Kid Icarus, it can handle Smash Bros too.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Judging by the nature of the damaged Circle Pads, I think the problem is that people are pressing down on it. Which is completely unnecessary, as your thumb grips to the system just fine. Pressing down on it means you're grinding the material that connects the Circle Pad to the rest of the system, which will eventually wear it down.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
My circle pad is fine, but I let a friend play it last night, and he was slamming the pad like no tomorrow. I was sitting, cringing, and thinking "this thing isn't going to last another match like this". I think it all has to do with the care you put into it. Some people just can't hold back when playing it, and that's their problem.
If mine breaks Nintendo are replacing it free of change, as if playing a game they made specifically for it breaks the console, it clearly isn't fit for purpose.

Last edited:

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
I doubt they will fix it free of charge. One of the joints of my 3ds broke once and I hate to pay 110 euros to get it fixed... I am still butthurt about that.

HurricaneMarth

Smash Cadet
My circle pad for the for the OG 3ds (from launch) has already came off well before I heard of smash 4. It is just a case of gradually wearing it down over time. However, I do think that this game will strongly increase the number of "broken" circlepads.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
I doubt they will fix it free of charge. One of the joints of my 3ds broke once and I hate to pay 110 euros to get it fixed... I am still butthurt about that.
Under Australia law they have to.

Essentially, our consumer laws require that something be "fit for purpose" and the item in question falling apart due to normal use comes well and truly under that.

Last edited:

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
Under Australia law they have to.

Essentially, our consumer laws require that something be "fit for purpose" and the item in question falling apart due to normal use comes well and truly under that.
Ah, ok. I kinda assumed it would be different depending on what country you live in.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
Ah, ok. I kinda assumed it would be different depending on what country you live in.
Australia's consumer laws are absolutely lovely, as I've heard are Germany's for that matter.

My favourite is that if you specifically ask about a use for an item that isn't specifically outlined in normal, and the vendor tells you it will fit the purpose. If it fails to fulfill that purpose, it doesn't matter what the "normal use" is, they are still liable to replace it. Not to mention that warranties can be essentially redundant, as if expected lifetime is longer than the warranty, it is still covered as such. For this reason retailers aren't actually meant to pressure people into getting extended warranties, and must be able to explain how they offer more than our usual consumer protect laws if they are advertised.

The normal example used is an expensive television with a 1 year manufacturers warranty breaking after 2 years, only to be told that it's their problem because it's "out of warranty". As any reasonable person would expect an expensive TV to last longer than 2 years, it doesn't matter that the warranty is out, it's still there problem to replace the TV. There's no buyer beware here if you buy from a proper supplier.

RNH

Smash Cadet
WIll they fix it if it breaks? Canadian here.

Also is it happening to the XL?

Last edited:

PeterJude

Smash Ace
WIll they fix it if it breaks? Canadian here.
They might, they might not. They'll fix it if you pay for it. It's worth reading into your countries consumer laws anyhow.

Last edited:

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
can't u play with the arrow things? like a wiimote? cause that was my plan...
The....arrow things. Arrow things?

You cant change control schemes in the demo, but you can in the full version. I dunno if you' want to though, as you then can't do tilt attacks as easy (at all?)

....arrow things?

Raijinken

Smash Master
can't u play with the arrow things? like a wiimote? cause that was my plan...
From what I've heard from some streams, the Dpad is locked in as a taunt button and cannot be adjusted.

Much as I dislike the circlepad, the Dpad would be worse for Smash, though.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well my Circle Pad already got off and that was before the demo even came out (Got it fixed by myself though so it works fine now). I'm planning to replace it anyway as soon as the New 3DS XL comes out. But yeah, be a bit more cautious from now on.

boobeardabes

Smash Rookie
hmmm. I think you just have to be REALLY gentle or something. like, not pressing down on it at all, making very light gentle movements. Hard smashing is probably a hard habit to break but I just won't let myself do it on the 3ds.

That said, if they make some kind of controller attachment for the 3ds version I'll definitely do that.

Reila

The....arrow things. Arrow things?

You cant change control schemes in the demo, but you can in the full version. I dunno if you' want to though, as you then can't do tilt attacks as easy (at all?)

....arrow things?
Unfortunately you can't use the "arrow things" to move the characters even in the full game. It is locked as the "taunt button" :(

Cottoneyes

Smash Rookie
I doubt it's really an issue.

Some people I run into are rather gentle with their 3ds and it's all a matter of proper handling. Don't just slap that thing cause we're just playing smash, not a portable guilty gear.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Yeah you actually can't use the D-Pad for movement:

The control customisation screen involves you dragging the commands into the slots you want. As you can see, movement is not one of the options. The only control option that you can map to more than one button is "Jump".

GeNo-BreaKer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeNo-BreaKer-01
3DS FC
1220-6182-2346
People are worrying too much about this, if the circle pad can handle games like Monster Hunter and Kid Icarus, it can handle Smash Bros too.
Ehh, I don't think MH is a good example. You hardly slam the circle pad repeatedly.

Reila

Ehh, I don't think MH is a good example. You hardly slam the circle pad repeatedly.
I think it is a good example. Both Monster Hunter and Smash require you to constantly move the circle pad quickly in various different directions

And I hardly "slam" the circle pad playing Smash.

D

Deleted Member

For things that make you have to wiggle out of, such as grabs, getting out of buried state, Boss Galaga beam; ect, can you twirl the pad, or do you need to do left-right? If it's the former, then it shouldn't be hard on the 3DS.

oscuras

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2105-8721-7551
LOLs, mine broke long ago during the KI:U times

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
People must be beating the crap out of those pads to break them like that. A little tilt is enough to do everything in the game, there's no need to smash them.

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
"Smash" should not be taken in the wrong context here.

With that being said, my friend has the demo, and is letting me use his 3DS to play it as I type this and I'm being VERY cautious with it.

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
My brother's 3ds cicle pad is getting a bit wear off.....after playing hours of Smash Bros competitively

Anomalous Adam

Smash Cadet
NNID
Anomalous_Adam
3DS FC
2020-0165-2865
Breaking Pad: The new TV drama about a high school teacher who sells black market circle pads and competes in tournaments to buy his family a new 3DS.

Kalierdarke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kalierdarke
Think of it like this.

Remember when the Wii came out and people were breaking TVs with the Wiimotes? It's not because of the game, it's because people are going overboard with their play. the 3DS stick is VERY responsive, a lot of times I get smashes when I try and do a tilt, and I barely move the stick. People just need to chill out.

ToonAdri

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Toonadri
This is pretty bad,i don't think i play this game when wiiu version comes out,break the circle pad is not im my plans,great fail to a great game...BAD nintendo BAD
well maybe nintendo relases a patch and we can play whit D-Stick and circle pro,it's likely to lower the sales the broken circle pad thing..

JLU51306

Smash Apprentice
Australia's consumer laws are absolutely lovely, as I've heard are Germany's for that matter.

My favourite is that if you specifically ask about a use for an item that isn't specifically outlined in normal, and the vendor tells you it will fit the purpose. If it fails to fulfill that purpose, it doesn't matter what the "normal use" is, they are still liable to replace it. Not to mention that warranties can be essentially redundant, as if expected lifetime is longer than the warranty, it is still covered as such. For this reason retailers aren't actually meant to pressure people into getting extended warranties, and must be able to explain how they offer more than our usual consumer protect laws if they are advertised.

The normal example used is an expensive television with a 1 year manufacturers warranty breaking after 2 years, only to be told that it's their problem because it's "out of warranty". As any reasonable person would expect an expensive TV to last longer than 2 years, it doesn't matter that the warranty is out, it's still there problem to replace the TV. There's no buyer beware here if you buy from a proper supplier.
I really wish the US had this kinda consumer protection. Often times, it's the other way around here.

Kalierdarke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kalierdarke
This is pretty bad,i don't think i play this game when wiiu version comes out,break the circle pad is not im my plans,great fail to a great game...BAD nintendo BAD
well maybe nintendo relases a patch and we can play whit D-Stick and circle pro,it's likely to lower the sales the broken circle pad thing..
Again, this is in no way nintendo's fault. It's the exact same thing that happened with people breaking TVs with their Wiimotes when the Wii came out. Circle pads are breaking because people are over stressing them. You can play the game, even competitively, without slamming the pad back and forth. This isn't nintendo's fault, it's user error.

Circle pad damage was actually my biggest concern about the game. It just feels fragile to me and always has. Still, I've always been one of the Smash players to press buttons delicately - just about silently, in fact - so maybe I won't wreck my circle pad.

Edit - I also hope they patch the game so that you can swap the circle pad with the D-pad.

Last edited:

PeterJude

Smash Ace
Again, this is in no way nintendo's fault. It's the exact same thing that happened with people breaking TVs with their Wiimotes when the Wii came out. Circle pads are breaking because people are over stressing them. You can play the game, even competitively, without slamming the pad back and forth. This isn't nintendo's fault, it's user error.
To be completely honest, it's entirely Nintendo's fault, and problem, if the 3DS sticks break by being used. If there is any level of normal use that is capable of breaking them, then they aren't made well enough. It really is as simple as that. People shouldn't need to play a video game console as though it's made of cheap glass.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
I have been playing the Smash 4 demo and have had absolutely no trouble executing Smash attacks. You only have to push the Circle Pad a tiny bit to perform tilt attacks, and only a little bit faster and further to perform Smash attacks.

Some people are just incapable of treating their electronics with care. Bottom line.

Kalierdarke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kalierdarke
To be completely honest, it's entirely Nintendo's fault, and problem, if the 3DS sticks break by being used. If there is any level of normal use that is capable of breaking them, then they aren't made well enough. It really is as simple as that. People shouldn't need to play a video game console as though it's made of cheap glass.
that's the thing. smashing the stick hard enough to snap the plastic in two is not normal use in any way. It would be like complaining that your keyboard broke because you was smashing the keys full force.

To break a circle pad on a 3DS you have to be putting more pressure on it than is outlined in normal operating guidelines for the device. so no, it is not nintendo's fault, it is user error.

Last edited:
Top Bottom