• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/WiiU - Stage Contest - Round 14 - Kid Icarus

TheUltraDeino

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheUltraDeino
3DS FC
3866-8826-1729
So at first I was going to make a mystery dungeon stage, and then, I realized that gold/silver has no representation in any of the official stage lineups (unless you count pokefloats, but I honestly think it's a rep of pokemon of a whole).

So now, because I feel like there's going to be many gen 3 and 5 stages, I will present Tohjo Falls, from gold, silver, hgss.

Layout:

(
one thing to note: visually, the "floating platforms" are attached to the background, since this is, ya know, a cave, yes, you can fall through them)

Gimmicks/Hazards: Mainly a simple stage, the closest thing to a gimmick or hazard are the 2 waterfalls, which are in the foreground, and because of that, they will partially block your view by distorting the image of whoever is behind it. Since this is a 3ds stage, you will be able to see yourself fine if you are behind a waterfall, but the opponents will look distorted to you if they are behind a waterfall. Besides that, occasionally, a lapris may pop up from one of the two sides of the stage, with the role as a free platform. It will not attack or anything, just serve as a platform

Other visual details: sometimes, some fish pokemon, like magikarp or goldeen, might pop out of the water and do a little splash.

Music: The two I can see are the HGSS Champion theme and the Suicune Battle Theme

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
We definitely need some gen 4 and 6 entries. Since Tohjo Falls is the connection between Johto and Kanto I'd totes count it as repping both of those generations in a way

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
B-but Torterra is totes the best! My second favorite after the Bulbasaur line. :(

Infernape's okay, I guess. I don't have an opinion really either way, though I chose him in my first Pearl run.
I dislike Torterra because it's like Venasaur but bad xD

Just personal opinion of course.

Gimme a Charizard, I'm happy, lol.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I dislike Torterra because it's like Venasaur but bad xD

Just personal opinion of course.

Gimme a Charizard, I'm happy, lol.
Why would you hurt me in this way

I love Bulba/Ivysaur but Venusaur is the disconnect for me. I wish all the things were as awesome possum as Torterra

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Well we can respectfully have different opinions on the starters xD

I thought I would be able to easily think of a Pokemon stage but I really can't. I've been trying to think of a good idea for a while now...

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
We definitely need some gen 4 and 6 entries. Since Tohjo Falls is the connection between Johto and Kanto I'd totes count it as repping both of those generations in a way
Well, we already have a confirmed gen 6 stage, so I didn't want to do one. I was considering making a stage for Jubilife City, but then I remembered Brawl already had a Gen 4 stage, and I wanted to make a stage from a game that was yet unrepresented. Hence, Gen 5.

Ascended

Smash Ace
I love the starter Pokemon. My favorite from each gen:
1: Bulbasaur/Squirtle (Tie)
2: Totodile
3: Torchic
4: Piplup
5: Snivy
6: Chespin

TheUltraDeino

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheUltraDeino
3DS FC
3866-8826-1729
I love the starter Pokemon. My favorite from each gen:
1: Bulbasaur/Squirtle (Tie)
2: Totodile
4: Piplup
5: Snivy
To me it's:
1: Bulbasaur
2: Cyndaquil
4: Chimchar
5: Oshawott

ofcourse, I sorta base that off of their final evos. If I judged them solely on just the first evos, then I'd probably choose Fennekin over Chespin

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I tend to dislike starters that can't keep a consistent, natural development of concept throughout their evolutionary line. For example, Samurott (my least favorite starter ever). It completely changes what animal it is at the last second, going from an otter to a sea lion that looks nothing like a sea lion; moves from two-legged to four-legged (despite bipedalism being more conducive to the samurai concept it's supposed to have); and overall looks nothing like either Dewott or Oshawott. Some people may find that fun because it was so out of left field, but I just think it's disorderly and uninspired.

Another example is Delphox. I liked how they had that cute, Halloween witch look going on with Braixen; it was really unique. They should've taken it further instead of doing a 180 and going in the only vaguely related oracle/mage direction.

Anyway, great stages so far! Can't wait to see more.
Samurott is idiotic. The real shame is Oshawott and Dewott are both great, but the whole line is ruined by that moronic abomination.

Violenceman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ash316
I didn't play much of the later games, but I played the hell out of Red/Blue. So going with a Kanto location only makes sense to me. There are a few iconic locations that I could use, but I think I will go with...

Name of Stage: S.S. Anne
Game of Origin: Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow

Description: The S.S Anne is a renowned luxury cruise liner that travels around the world. It makes annual stops in Vermillion City, Kanto and is a popular attraction for well-to-do Pokemon Trainers.

SSAnne.jpg

Key: Red -- Solid Ground | Blue -- Passable Platform | Grey -- Breakable Glass | Violet -- Passable Walls

The stage itself follows the SS Anne as it takes a cruise around Kanto. The fighting takes place on the outside of the boat...mostly. While you can run up the slanted glass walls like a ramp on either side of the boat, they can also be broken with a few hits (or a flying fighter moving at high speed), allowing the fighters to travel inside the boat to continue fighting. When no one is in the ship's interiors, the outside of the boat will show and it will cut away when some one enters. The bottom floor will show case a hallway with many cabin doors, while the top floor will showcase the Captain's quarters, complete with a seasick captain huddling in the corner. Atop the ship are two smokestacks; the walls are in the background and can be passed through, but you can also fight atop the smokestack platforms.

The stage starts off docked at Vermillion City for about 30 seconds. Then the ship will take off and sail away, passing under the Route 17 Bike Path, through the Seafoam Islands, around Cinnabar Island, by Pallet Town, then back under Route 17 to dock at Vermillion City for a 6 minute loop. These location all show in the background and will not be interactive part of the stage

Gimmicks/Hazards: There are also two additional platforms that will show up from time to time. On the left, some Wingulls will fly in holding rope in their breaks that are tied to the corners of a small passable platform that will position itself above the ship deck. The bird Pokemon can hold one character just fine, but with two or three characters, the platform will dip down closer to the ship as the Wingulls struggle to hold it aloft. If four fighters get on the platform at once, the Wingulls will let it drop to the ground and fly off. If that doesn't happen, the Wingulls will eventually and slowly fly off the top of the screen after some time, taking anyone unlucky enough to still be on the platform with them.

On the right, a Lapras will occasionally surface and swim behind the ship for a while. The fighters can land on its large shelled back or the top of its raised head; the Lapras is pretty laid back and doesn't care much about the fighting going on. However, when it lets out a yawn, everyone will need to get off because it will soon submerge back into the water.

Also, the ship itself travels at a relatively slow pace, so the motion of the stage has little affect on the movements of the characters (although recovering from the left may be slightly easier).

Unlockable?: Yes, beat Classic mode on Normal difficulty or higher with any Pokemon character.

Extras: On board the ship - Trainers and their Pokemon will come out to the main deck to watch you fight, and will also come out from their cabins to watch if the fighting moves indoors. Pidgeottos and Spearows will fly by overhead as you sail along. In the water below, you will see Goldeen jumping out of the water and Tentacools poking their heads out from the waves. In the port hole windows on the bottom compartment of the ship, you can see some Trainers and Pokemon wandering around.

While docked at Vermillion City - Many townspeople and towns-Pokemon (including Lt. Surge and his Raichu) have gathered to watch the boat depart and will cheer as it starts sailing away. There is a truck off to the side of the dock; if you look carefully, you may spot some glowing eyes in the darkness beneath it.

While passing through the Seafoam Islands - The islands will have Seels and Dewgongs sunning themselves on the rocks. There is one very noticeable cave entrance on one of the islands; some Zubats will fly out as you pass by. If you are very lucky, you might see Articuno fly out instead!

While passing by Cinnabar Island - On Cinnabar, you will see Blaine training with his Magmar outside his Gym. The volcano behind his gym will sometimes start erupting, causing Blaine to run back into his gym. The S.S. Anne will safely depart from the island before anything happens.

While passing by Pallet Town - Professor Oak and his grandson can be seen training young Pokemon trainers looking to start their journey.

Also, for the Pokemon you see with the Trainers on the ship, there are seven default Pokemon it will randomly select from to use: Ratticate, Chansey, Sandshrew, Pinsir, Grimer, Growlithe, and Farfetch'd. However, if you have the Pokedex 3D app on your 3DS, this stage will take data from the program and can use your bank of downloaded Pokemon to have some of them appear on the stage instead.

Music Selection:
S.S. Anne / Surfing Theme
Trainer Battle

Also, I pretty much always default to a Grass starter, but will sometimes go to Water if the Grass Pokemon for that generation doesn't interest me.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Oh I totally Prepared for this Round!
My stage is N's Castle from B/W and B2W2
The stage layout is like this:
View attachment 19896
Reshiram and Zekrom battle in the background and on rare occasions one of their attacks can destroy the pillars (the giant red things) or you could destroy them yourself. When the pillars are destroyed the stage becomes a walk off stage. The attacks of Reshiram and Zekrom do not harm the player but Victini can come and grant the winning player a slight stat boost in their best area. (Sonic speed, Megaman Projectiles, Falcon melee attacks etc. etc.) The stage also has a high ceiling/blast zone.

The songs that play on this stage are, the Zekrom and Reshiram's Battle theme:

And a Team Plasma battle Medley consisting of:
Team Plasma Grunt Battle:

Colress' Battle:

And Final Battle N theme:
So this guy just wins automatically, right?

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I didn't play much of the later games, but I played the hell out of Red/Blue. So going with a Kanto location only makes sense to me. There are a few that iconic location that I could use, but I think I will go with...

Description: The S.S Anne is a renowned luxury cruise liner that travels around the world. It makes annual stops in Vermillion City, Kanto and is a popular attraction for well-to-do Pokemon Trainers.

Gimmicks/Hazards: Coming Soon!

Unlockable?: Yes, beat Classic mode on Normal difficulty or higher with any Pokemon character.

Extras: Coming Soon!

Also, I pretty much always default to a Grass starter, but will sometimes go to Water if the Grass Pokemon for that generation doesn't interest me.
Is mew under the truck in this stage?

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
It's official, Sakurai is on Smashboards and trolling the pants off the stage contest judges:

Oh ye of little faith. We simply predicted yet another stage reveal, as we've done several times in the past. You should be thanking us for our insight.

On the subject of RADSheikah automatically winning, keep in mind that we don't necessarily think that Sakurai always makes the best stage choices. So we'll be judging the N's Castle entry just like any other stage. Who knows? Maybe we'll end up liking RADSheikah's stage more than Sakurai's version. Or less. No pressure.

For the record, I'm actually glad to see N's Castle. I love Black and White, and I was getting worried that X/Y were going to hog all of the stage content.

Violenceman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ash316
Hey, the S.S. Anne entry has been fully updated.

If you want to check it out, it is 8 posts above this one.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I didn't play much of the later games, but I played the hell out of Red/Blue. So going with a Kanto location only makes sense to me. There are a few that iconic location that I could use, but I think I will go with...

View attachment 20120
Key: Red -- Solid Ground | Blue -- Passable Platform | Grey -- Breakable Glass | Violet -- Passable Walls

The stage itself follows the SS Anne as it takes a cruise around Kanto. The fighting takes place on the outside of the boat...mostly. While you can run up the slanted glass walls like a ramp on either side of the boat, they can also be broken with a few hits (or a flying fighter moving at high speed), allowing the fighters to travel inside the boat to continue fighting. When no one is in the ship's interiors, the outside of the boat will show and it will cut away when some one enters. The bottom floor will show case a hallway with many cabin doors, while the top floor will showcase the Captain's quarters, complete with a seasick captain huddling in the corner. Atop the ship are two smokestacks; the walls are in the background and can be passed through, but you can also fight atop the smokestack platforms.

The stage starts off docked at Vermillion City for about 30 seconds. Then the ship will take off and sail away, passing under the Route 17 Bike Path, through the Seafoam Islands, around Cinnabar Island, by Pallet Town, then back under Route 17 to dock at Vermillion City for a 6 minute loop. These location all show in the background and will not be interactive part of the stage

Gimmicks/Hazards: There are also two additional platforms that will show up from time to time. On the left, some Wingulls will fly in holding rope in their breaks that are tied to the corners of a small passable platform that will position itself above the ship deck. The bird Pokemon can hold one character just fine, but with two or three characters, the platform will dip down closer to the ship as the Wingulls struggle to hold it aloft. If four fighters get on the platform at once, the Wingulls will let it drop to the ground and fly off. If that doesn't happen, the Wingulls will eventually and slowly fly off the top of the screen after some time, taking anyone unlucky enough to still be on the platform with them.

On the right, a Lapras will occasionally surface and swim behind the ship for a while. The fighters can land on its large shelled back or the top of its raised head; the Lapras is pretty laid back and doesn't care much about the fighting going on. However, when it lets out a yawn, everyone will need to get off because it will soon submerge back into the water.

Also, the ship itself travels at a relatively slow pace, so the motion of the stage has little affect on the movements of the characters (although recovering from the left may be slightly easier).

Extras: On board the ship - Trainers and their Pokemon will come out to the main deck to watch you fight, and will also come out from their cabins to watch if the fighting moves indoors. Pidgeottos and Spearows will fly by overhead as you sail along. In the water below, you will see Goldeen jumping out of the water and Tentacools poking their heads out from the waves. In the bottom compartment of the ship, you can see some Trainers and Pokemon wandering around.

While docked at Vermillion City - Many townspeople and towns-Pokemon (including Lt. Surge and his Raichu) have gathered to watch the boat depart and will cheer as it starts sailing away. There is a truck off to the side of the dock; if you look carefully, you may spot some glowing eyes in the darkness beneath it.

While passing through the Seafoam Islands - The islands will have Seels and Dewgongs sunning themselves on the rocks. There is one very noticeable cave entrance on one of the islands; some Zubats will fly out as you pass by. If you are very lucky, you might see Articuno fly out instead!

While passing by Cinnabar Island - On Cinnabar, you will see Blaine training with his Magmar outside his Gym. The volcano behind his gym will sometimes start erupting, causing Blaine to run back into his gym. The S.S. Anne will safely depart from the island before anything happens.

While passing by Pallet Town - Professor Oak and his grandson can be seen training young Pokemon trainers looking to start their journey.

Also, for the Pokemon you see with the Trainers on the ship, there are seven default Pokemon it will randomly select from to use: Ratticate, Chansey, Sandshrew, Pinsir, Grimer, Growlithe, and Farfetch'd. However, if you have the Pokedex 3D app on your 3DS, this stage will take data from the program and can use your bank of downloaded Pokemon to have some of them appear on the stage instead.

Music Selection:
S.S. Anne
Surfing Theme

I really really like this stage. Would absolutely love to see something like this.. Whether it just be Kanto or goes between Vermilion and Olivine...

Or, for more recency, between Petalburg, Dewford and Slateport with captain Briney

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
Hey, the S.S. Anne entry has been fully updated.

If you want to check it out, it is 8 posts above this one.
So now that Violenceman has his entry updated, we wait for his inevitable win, right? That seems to be how this thread works most of the time.

(I jest, of course. Great stage as always, Violenceman!)

Last edited:

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
OK, I had to completely scrap my first stage idea thanks to that infernal Sakurai and his revealing a stage for the gen I was pulling a location from < :p >, but here is my submission:

Distortion World
Origins: Pokemon (Pokemon: Platinum Version <DS>)
This is the trans-dimensional location of Pokemon Platinum's main story, where Lucas/Dawn and Cynthia confront Cyrus over Team Plasma's evildoings, Giratina, and the fate of the world. Occasionally, the Lake Trio Pokemon (Uxie, Mesprit and Azelf) will fly along side the players.

This is a scrolling stage, where the players must keep up with the camera in addition to the fight. However, there is a twist to this relatively casual type of stage: while the scrolling in itself is a constant, the Distortion World's wonky gravity affects how the players interact with the ground, such as scrolling upward while the players themselves are fighting on ground to the side of the screen. In a sense, it's like Mushroomy Kingdom crossed with the camera screwing hazard of Spear Pillar and the gravity bend from Mario Galaxy. That said, matches fought here always start right-side-up, to prevent any issues with what stick direction moves you where.

The speed of the actual scrolling is ever-so-slightly slower than Mushroomy Kingdom, to make sure all players get accustomed to the current camera/gravity shift before messing themselves up during the fight. Different camera/gravity combos include simple side-scrolling on a spherical surface (imagine Brinstar Depths being as round as Mario Galaxy while constantly rotating, in this case), to jumping downward through a mass of platforms due to the camera being upside down, to the camera turned sideways while players have to jump towards the top of the screen past stepping stones floating in the air, to walking up a waterfall where no matter which camera side you are scrolling in at the time, the waterfall has a slight conveyor belt effect towards the opposite side of the screen.

Occasionally, Giratina will show up before the players, using Earth Power to rotate the camera to influence the camera flow until the next time he appears. These rotations can be smooth 90-degree angles, or even make the camera crooked to make the fight scroll diagonally (which would be a Smash Bros first, unless you count the slight bits of it in Rainbow Cruise or Rumble Falls).

Music Selection:
Distortion World (Pokemon Platinum)
vs. Giratina (Pokemon Platinum)
vs. Arceus (Pokemon Diamond/Pearl)
vs. Sinnoh Champion (Pokemon Diamond/Pearl) <Vid uses version from Pokemon Black 2/White 2>
Team Galactic Battle! (Smash Bros. Brawl Edition)
Dialga/Palkia Battle at Spear Pillar! (Smash Bros. Brawl Edition)
Wild Pokemon Battle! (Diamond/Pearl) (Smash Bros. Brawl Edition)
Route 209 (Smash Bros. Brawl Edition)
Unlock Condition
Have 210 multiplayer match wins across all Pokemon characters

Last edited:

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
I'm also gonna edit my submission. Nothing to the stage, just making the unlock condition a lot less severe (I don't know what I was thinking making that many VS. mode wins for a character you'd have to unlock on top of it. :p)

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I hope the turnaround for the grades won't be very long this time. :X

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
Welp, I'm not a judge, but I am bored. As such, here are my opinions on everyone's stages.

I'm giving them after the round has ended because now you won't be able to incorporate my suggestions AHAHAHAHAHA I'm so evil.

@ Kevandre Kevandre :

Personally, I think the bottom portion of your stage is a bit too busy. I’d have gotten rid of the lowermost ladders, and probably would have just made it a fall-to-your-death bottom, rather than the fake-lava trees you have. Other than that, I love the stage design! The two tree platforms below the bridge are nice, as they give the player a chance to recover from the breaking bridge. This is a nice addition that other similar stages do not have. (Looking at you, Green Hill Zone.)

Overall: fairly good, balanced stage.

@ RADSheikah RADSheikah :

Nice job making a stage that sort of got confirmed, dude. Not sure that I like the stage layout, though. It’s like Shadow Moses Island, but honestly… worse. The little dip in the middle of the stage makes it kind of interesting, but unlike Shadow Moses, there are no other platforms, AND you can’t break the pillars of your own free will. This means that for the most part, players are forced to KO their opponents upwards, with the vain hope that one of the legendaries will shatter a side pillar, allowing the players the side KOs they really need. Now, in your favor, the Victini gimmick is genius. I’m not sure what you mean when you say the “winning player” (if a player has won, doesn’t that mean the match is over?), but giving a player a boost in their best area is incredibly unique. I’d have never thought to do it, I know that.

Overall: good concept, not too good execution.

@ ryuu seika ryuu seika :

Postponing the opinions on your stage to talk about the boss. First of all, I never liked the idea of bosses in the first place (they take otherwise good stages and make them vastly more annoying to play on), so that already lowers my thoughts on the stage. But your boss… I think you have created the single most irritating boss in existence. Only can be damaged by projectiles? Welp, I guess Lucina, Ike, Marth, Little Mac, Dedede, Sonic, Olimar, and Donkey Kong are screwed (plus Jigglypuff and Wario, if they return). You give mixed messages about coming into contact with him, saying that it will do the horizontal equivalent of a Knockout Punch (which, may I remind you, is a guatanteed KO), but also say that it will rarely KO. Well, which is it? Rarely or Always? And that earthquake is going to do nothing but interrupt the flow of the battle even more than normal. And not having an explosion upon his death completely takes away anyone’s will to defeat him. At least with other bosses, you are rewarded for the kill with an explosion that takes out anyone else nearby. But this guy? Nope, no reward whatsoever. "Just go back to fighting on your little stage, and HOPE that you don’t screw up enough for me to come back soon."

Now, with THAT out of the way… the rest of the stage isn’t that bad. A bit busy along the top, but not bad. Of course, the fact that Smash Bros is heavily based in aerial combat might make that a problem, but you do at least allow options for side KOs and downwards KOs, along with an extra downwards KO spot in the middle. I’m not entirely sure how the gravestones work, but the flippers are a nice touch.

Oh yeah, and you mention how competitive types would play on this stage, but I honestly think they would avoid this stage like the plague. This is prime tourney-banned material.

Overall: good stage, terrible boss. Like, I’m sorry, but it’s a REALLY terrible boss.

@ TheUltraDeino TheUltraDeino :

NOW we’re talking. This is a simple stage, but it’s a REALLY nice simple stage. The layout isn’t too complex, but it’s not a layout that has yet been explored in the series (I think). I like the waterfall aesthetic, as it’s a nice gimmick that doesn’t affect gameplay whatsoever, leaving the stage perfectly playable. Lapras is interesting as well, allowing for a saving grace if someone is launched too far to either side. If I’m understanding right, they could even potentially “catch” a player that got spiked downwards, which is quite nice. I really like this stage.

Overall: Very nice stage. Probably my favorite.

@ Violenceman Violenceman :

Oh boy, it’s Violenceman. The man who has singlehandedly won 6/11 of the rounds thus far. (btw just realized round 11 isn’t in the Hall of Fame yet, get on that judges) Very strong showing, as always. I am curious about one thing: when the glass is still there, can you drop down through the roof of the ship to the inside of the boat, without the glass ever breaking? I feel like that could raise some potential issues, but nothing stage-breaking. I really like how the ship travels all around Kanto, allowing for a lot of popular locations to be seen WITHOUT making it a transforming stage. I’m having a hard time sensing the scale of your stage, however. The two smokestacks look WAY too small to be platforms all their own, and if they aren’t, then the stage itself seems a little too big. I’d have removed the smokestack platforms, and left the rest of the stage as is.

Overall: dang good stage, hard to get a sense of scale.

@ TechPowah TechPowah :

I… can’t really judge this appropriately because, although you said that the stage scrolls… that’s it. I have no idea what the layout of any parts of the stage are like, just that… it scrolls. You give a bit of detail near the end, but I have no specifics in my mind. I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt though, and assume that the layout of the stage is decent enough to be playable. Now, your camera gimmick, while true to the spirit of the distortion world… I’m pretty sure that would render the stage unplayable. It would be SO disorienting to play on a stage that is commonly upside down or sideways, that I’d personally just avoid the stage altogether. Having the stage scroll slower really doesn’t help this issue, honestly. It just gives you a little bit longer to be completely confused by what buttons do what.

Overall: true to the spirit of the game. Unfortunately, that spirit is of a cluttered mess.

@Marioaddict :

10/10 best stage

Aaaand... that's all of them. Take my criticisms as you will - after all, I'm just some random guy on the internet, with absolutely no credibility.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Welp, I'm not a judge, but I am bored. As such, here are my opinions on everyone's stages.

I'm giving them after the round has ended because now you won't be able to incorporate my suggestions AHAHAHAHAHA I'm so evil.

@ Kevandre Kevandre :

Personally, I think the bottom portion of your stage is a bit too busy. I’d have gotten rid of the lowermost ladders, and probably would have just made it a fall-to-your-death bottom, rather than the fake-lava trees you have. Other than that, I love the stage design! The two tree platforms below the bridge are nice, as they give the player a chance to recover from the breaking bridge. This is a nice addition that other similar stages do not have. (Looking at you, Green Hill Zone.)

Overall: fairly good, balanced stage.

@ RADSheikah RADSheikah :

Nice job making a stage that sort of got confirmed, dude. Not sure that I like the stage layout, though. It’s like Shadow Moses Island, but honestly… worse. The little dip in the middle of the stage makes it kind of interesting, but unlike Shadow Moses, there are no other platforms, AND you can’t break the pillars of your own free will. This means that for the most part, players are forced to KO their opponents upwards, with the vain hope that one of the legendaries will shatter a side pillar, allowing the players the side Kos they really need. Now, in your favor, the Victini gimmick is genius. I’m not sure what you mean when you say the “winning player” (if a player has won, doesn’t that mean the match is over?), but giving a player a boost in their best area is incredibly unique. I’d have never thought to do it, I know that.

Overall: good concept, not too good execution.

@ ryuu seika ryuu seika :

Postponing the opinions on your stage to talk about the boss. First of all, I never liked the idea of bosses in the first place (they take otherwise good stages and make them vastly more annoying to play on), so that already lowers my thoughts on the stage. But your boss… I think you have created the single most irritating boss in existence. Only can be damaged by projectiles? Welp, I guess Lucina, Ike, Marth, Little Mac, Dedede, Sonic, Olimar, and Donkey Kong are screwed (plus Jigglypuff and Wario, if they return). You give mixed messages about coming into contact with him, saying that it will do the horizontal equivalent of a Knockout Punch (which, may I remind you, is a guatanteed KO), but also say that it will rarely KO. Well, which is it? Rarely or Always? And that earthquake is going to do nothing but interrupt the flow of the battle even more than normal. And not having an explosion upon his death completely takes away anyone’s will to defeat him. At least with other bosses, you are rewarded for the kill with an explosion that takes out anyone else nearby. But this guy? Nope, no reward whatsoever. Just go back to fighting on your little stage, and HOPE that I don’t come back soon.

Now, with THAT out of the way… the rest of the stage isn’t that bad. A bit busy along the top, but not bad. Of course, the fact that Smash Bros is heavily based in aerial combat might make that a problem, but you do at least allow options for side KOs and downwards KOs, along with an extra downwards KO spot in the middle. I’m not entirely sure how the gravestones work, but the flippers are a nice touch.

Oh yeah, and you mention how competitive types would play on this stage, but I honestly think they would avoid this stage like the plague. This is prime tourney-banned material.

Overall: good stage, terrible boss. Like, I’m sorry, but it’s a REALLY terrible boss.

@ TheUltraDeino TheUltraDeino :

NOW we’re talking. This is a simple stage, but it’s a REALLY nice simple stage. The layout isn’t too complex, but it’s not a layout that has yet been explored in the series (I think). I like the waterfall aesthetic, as it’s a nice gimmick that doesn’t affect gameplay whatsoever, leaving the stage perfectly playable. Lapras is interesting as well, allowing for a saving grace if someone is launched too far to either side. If I’m understanding right, they could even potentially “catch” a player that got spiked downwards, which is quite nice. I really like this stage.

Overall: Very nice stage. Probably my favorite.

@ Violenceman Violenceman :

Oh boy, it’s Violenceman. The man who has singlehandedly won 6/11 of the rounds thus far. (btw just realized round 11 isn’t in the Hall of Fame yet, get on that judges) Very strong showing, as always. I am curious about one thing: when the glass is still there, can you drop down through the roof of the ship to the inside of the boat, without the glass ever breaking? I feel like that could raise some potential issues, but nothing stage-breaking. I really like how the ship travels all around Kanto, allowing for a lot of popular locations to be seen WITHOUT making it a transforming stage. I’m having a hard time sensing the scale of your stage, however. The two smokestacks look WAY too small to be platforms all their own, and if they aren’t, then the stage itself seems a little too big. I’d have removed the smokestack platforms, and left the rest of the stage as is.

Overall: dang good stage, hard to get a sense of scale.

@ TechPowah TechPowah :

I… can’t really judge this appropriately because, although you said that the stage scrolls… that’s it. I have no idea what the layout of any parts of the stage are like, just that… it scrolls. You give a bit of detail near the end, but I have no specifics in my mind. I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt though, and assume that the layout of the stage is decent enough to be playable. Now, your camera gimmick, while true to the spirit of the distortion world… I’m pretty sure that would render the stage unplayable. It would be SO disorienting to play on a stage that is commonly upside down or sideways, that I’d personally just avoid the stage altogether. Having the stage scroll slower really doesn’t help this issue, honestly. It just gives you a little bit longer to be completely confused by what buttons do what.

Overall: true to the spirit of the game. Unfortunately, that spirit is of a cluttered mess.

@Marioaddict :

10/10 best stage

Aaaand... that's all of them. Take my criticisms as you will - after all, I'm just some random guy on the internet, with absolutely no credibility.
I definitely appreciate your criticism, yo. I definitely don't expect to win this one... I expect some of the judges to say that it feels more like a Donkey Kong stage than a Pokemon stage, that the spikes at the bottom are unnecessary, etc.. But I dunno. A stage just FILLED with trees that has a bottomless pit at the bottom just feels wrong to me. Maybe I should have just had clusters of trees rather than the bottom being full of them.

I dunno. I thought a lot about Pokemon stages wayyyy before this round started. Had considered many things... Battle Maison. Slateport City. Safari Zone. Battle Frontier. Considered all those things but in the end, decided that since Fortree was my favorite location in RSE and that we're getting remakes, might as well do it at that location, even if it doesn't feel very Pokemon-y.

I will admit, when I was making it I had this song in my head...

Should've had it as an alternate track, now that I think of it...

evildevil97

Smash Apprentice
NNID
evildevil97
I have no Pokemon knowledge and played no Pokemon game. But I thought it would've been fun to do a stage based on a giant Pokeball. I don't know enough about the series to draft it myself, but I just wanted to throw that out there now that the round has ended.

Top Bottom