• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/WiiU - Stage Contest - Round 14 - Kid Icarus

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
ALRIGHT GEEZ! I'VE BEEN ON A DRAWING SPREE! ARE YOU PEOPLE TRYING TO ARTBLOCK ME!?
[collapse=Ascended's Grades]TheMarioaddict/Black City & White Forest
Popularity: 4/5
Creativity: 9/10
Playability: 10/10
Total: 23/25
Comments: This was an excellent idea! Black & White are my favorite Pokemon games, and I thought it was cool that there was a major difference between the two games, which you've captured with your stage idea. It sounds like it'd be really fun to play on!

Kevandre/Fortree City
Popularity: 3/5
Playability: 9/10
Total: 22/25
Comments: This feels like a classic Smash Bros stage to me. I like the idea of the breakable bridge and Kecleon pwning a player. I'd like to see this be an official stage!

RAD Sheikah/N's Castle
Creativity: 7/10
Total: 20/25
Comments: N is a very popular character, and I could see a stage like this making it into the game (which it has as of this writing IIRC.) The only problem I have with this is it doesn't seem to capture its location very well, but it is still a good stage.

ryuu seika/Gengar's Graveyard
Creativity: 10/10
Playability: 7/10
Total: 21/22
Comments: I thought this was a cool idea as it is coming from one of the Pokemon spin-off games. However, it seemed like there was a lot of stuff going on making it harder to fight the other players, but I probably just need to see it in action.

TheUltraDeino/Tohjo Falls
Total: 21/25
Comments: About time Gold & Silver got a stage! Tohjo Falls seems like a great location for a stage and it seems to be very playable, but There doesn't seem to be much creativity here. I like the stage and think it would be great to play on though.

Violenceman/S.S. Anne
Popularity: 5/5
Total: 25/25
Comments: This stage reminds me of the Hyrule River Raft entry from the first round of this contest. A simple entry would have been just the S.S. Anne itself, but they way this is designed makes it a love letter to Red & Blue, and a huge nostalgia trip, which is what I feel the stages of Smash should be all about. It also sounds like it'd be really fun to play on, and I don't think there's been a stage that has places to enter yet! So great job!

TechPowah/Distortion World
Playability: 8/10
Total: 21/25
Comments: I like this idea. At first, it sounded like it would be hard to play on, but I think you presented it in a way that it doesn't sound as bad as I thought it did. I like the idea of slow scrolling to get the players adjusted, and I think it captures the game's location rather well. Good job![/collapse]
[collapse=BridgesWithTurtles' Grades]Black City/White Forest by TheMarioaddict
Popularity:
4/5
Creativity: 4/10
Total: 18/25
While I agree that Black and White may be the best games, I wouldn't say this is the best possible stage. I hope that doesn't come off as harsh. What I mean by that is that, for the most part, this stage is pretty generic. Sure, there are cameos by various Pokémon, but for the most part, it's a generic city/forest. I feel as if this location isn't well-suited to a fresh new type of stage; there's not much to work with, and its biggest gimmick seems to be switching its aesthetic (awfully frequently might I add)...while keeping the layout the same. You do remove the walls on the second portion, but it's really not as drastic a change as it could have been. I like how this plays with the "alternate dimensions" vibe that Black and White had, but I also think it would've been wiser to simply delineate the two different aesthetics to two versions of the stage, a la Spear Pillar.

Fortree City by Kevandre
Popularity:
4/5
Creativity: 8/10
Fortree City is, for the most part, a well-thought out stage. The reference pictures are very helpful. I really enjoy how the stage is set above the city proper, rather than within it, giving us a nice overhead view of the town and scenery. The stage's ample use of ladders is a rare sight to see in this contest, but you do a very good job at making these controversial structures relevant to the stage's design. The breakable bridge is interesting, though you should specify how much stamina, if any, the breakable sections have. The tree platforms are a nice touch to cut down on cheap bridge-break KOs, but I do wonder how awkward that bridge would look with some sections missing, yet still remaining suspended. Overall, the stage scores well due to its unique layout and simple yet creative approach to design. I can see it being particularly fun for doubles.

N's Castle by RADSheikah
Popularity:
4/5
Creativity: 4/10
Total: 15/25
Luckily for RADSheikah, N's Castle happened to be confirmed as an actual stage in a Pic of the Day during the run of this round. We can't stack this entry up next to Sakurai's version since we know practically nothing about the latter. However, this entry leaves a lot to be desired because of its lack of detail and overall sameness as compared to past stages. Essentially, it's Shadow Moses Island if the Metal Gear actually interacted with the battle. While the epic battle between Zekrom and Reshiram would be glorious to see (and the lack thereof in Sakurai's version has me a bit peeved, since his version is really just a Spear Pillar clone), the fact that their attacks are used only to destroy the pillars and not damage the players makes them an underutilized hazard in my view. A lack of hazards makes your stage more playable, but a balanced hazard can be just as good, while also making your stage more interesting. Victini's buffs are somewhat like that of Wario Ware, which could stand to be explored more, but Victini's very presence, as with Cresselia's on Spear Pillar, feels somewhat out-of-place. The stage is also a little too small based on your mock-up, I think. With the pillars, it would get awfully crowded.

Gengar's Graveyard by ryuu seika
Popularity:
2/5
Playability: 5/10
Total: 16/25
I love how this stage is pretty much a perfect adaptation of the original Pokémon Pinball stage. Perhaps the most controversial stage this round, and for good reason, Gengar's Graveyard is both worse and better than it's been credited as, in my opinion. While ryuu is right in that it'd be a controversial counterpick at best, I'm not sure if I'd agree that it'd be great fun for most casual players either. Without the innate knowledge of the game's physics and characters' moves necessary to smartly avoid summong Gengar, I think this deliberately overpowered boss would show up a lot in casual play, and it'd be a pain in the Froslass for everyone involved, especially for characters without projectiles. Its merit as a tournament counterpick isn't strong enough, I feel, to attract either crowd. On the flipside, the stage itself is definitely highly creative, but I do think it encroaches on territory already explored somewhat by Luigi's Mansion.

Tohjo Falls by TheUltraDeino
Popularity:
3/5
Creativity: 6/10
Total: 19/25
I feel as if this stage is one of highs and lows. It's good at what it tries to be, but it doesn't aspire to much. Aside from the Pokémon cameos, Tohjo Falls is a rather generic cave location, and I think that causes this stage to be less dynamic than it could be. Having Lapras show up every now and then changes things up, but thematically, wouldn't it make more sense to set the stage in Union Cave in that case? I like how the stage uses the 3DS to its visual advantage, but it doesn't really seem necessary. Shouldn't you want to see your opponent as clearly as you see yourself?

S.S. Anne by Violenceman
Popularity:
5/5
Total: 24/25
Well, looks like you may be winning again, Violenceman. I couldn't help but give this stage a high score. While simple, S.S. Anne manages to do what I feel many stages this round have struggled with: actually capturing the feeling of being in the Pokémon world. The stage is a love letter for Pokémon fans, especially those of the original games, with its setting on one of the series' most memorable plot points, and its myriad of throwbacks, shout-outs, and cameos to the various characters and locations in Red/Blue. Violenceman, in his characteristic way, also included a great amount of detail that helped paint a clear picture of the stage and make it come to life, and his quirky little bonus feature of Pokédex 3D integration is creative and very much in line with his normal style. My favorite thing about this stage? It travels, but doesn't dock and change up the layout constantly.

Distortion World by TechPowah
Popularity:
4/5
Playability: 2/10
Total: 16/25
I actually really like this stage for what it is, despite the average score. I feel as if the idea of the stage is more entertaining than playing on it would be. Having one's controls constantly reversed for the sake of the stage's unique physics features is one reason I've never been fond of the Distortion World as a stage candidate. I think it'd be too annoying and not worth the trouble of programming such a complex stage, and the problems that this stage presents illustrate why I feel that way. I think it'd be a fun stage for the occasional drunken party, but I can't see most people playing here more often than that. Overall, despite its creativity, I'd say that this stage is the perfect example of how being too unique of a location can actually be a problem in this contest.[/collapse]
[collapse=D-idara's Grades]Black City/White Forest by TheMarioaddict
Popularity:
3/5
Creativity: 5/10
Certainly not the most memorable locations from BW, especially considering their generic names and aesthetics, a similar place with much more memorable aesthetics and events would be Opelucid City. Now...I gotta say, you didn't do much with this stage, three basic platforms, two solid, one drop-through and sometimes they have a little chilly surprise on top. It's perfectly playable, but it could've used some more creativity.
Total: 18

Fortree City by Kevandre
Popularity:
4/5
Creativity: 8/5
Playability: 8/5
One of the most visually unique locations from Hoenn, I'll give you that. Now, I feel like most of the concepts here have been used at some point or another by other stages, like the breakable bridge (Gerudo Valley, Palutena's Temple) or the hazard that backhands you when you camp too much (Summit, Jungle Japes, Halberd) but I think you managed to give it your own twist, and I give you an extra point for the ladders, which need to be used more. As for Playability, there's the spikes and the Kecleon, but the spikes are the only real hazard, since the Kecleon's situational.
Total: 20

N Castle by RADSheikah
Popularity:
5/5
Practically the most memorable location from BW! Although I don't think you captured the location very well...to tell the truth, the pillars have already been used with Shadow Moses Island, with disastrous results, and at least there were a few platforms on that stage to mix things up, I just think this feels really plain, especially when Reshiram and Zekrom destroy a pillar and the stage becomes a walkoff, seems like a fairly uninteresting layout, I give you something because of Victini being a creative stage hazard, but apart from that, the stage barely does something exciting. Also, as it was already seen, huge walls can make a stage unplayable.
Total: 18

Gengar's Graveyard by ryuu seika
Popularity:
3/5
Pokemon Pinball's already an obscure game, but if someone knows Pokemon Pinball, they know Gengar's Graveyard, that's an extra point for you, since the place leaves a huge impression on whoever plays the game. I love the pinball mechanics and the ghostly atmosphere with the Ghastlys and the music, and the way the stage boss appears also seems very interesting, although personally, I would've made players dying 'pinball style' (Between the flippers) the summoning tool, but this is closer to the source material, so moot. Here comes my main gripe with the stage...the hazards are balanced, fun and varied, but I have only one question:
WHY DID YOU MAKE GENGAR A GIANT HITBOX? YOU COULD'VE WON THE ROUND!
Total:

Tohjo Falls by TheUltraDeino
Popularity:
2/5
I really don't think Tohjo Falls counts as a remarkable location from HGSS, especially since the games have a place with waterfalls that leaves a MUCH bigger impression, rendering basically every other waterfall cave on the game a 'generic cave' I'm talking about this place, of course! Now, the stage doesn't do anything groundbreaking, although I like the pyramid-like platform layout and I have to give you an extra point for the clever waterfall usage with the 3DS hardware. It's perfectly playable, though, looks good, but could've been much more.
Total: 19

S.S. Anne by Violenceman
Popularity:
5/5
Although I find the RBY series to be very...unmemorable, I can't deny how much significance some locations have to the Pokemon series as a whole. Now...I really love the little details on your stages, although this concept was previously explored with Pirate Ship, even the smaller 'ship' following the bigger one from behind, you manage to give it a fresh feeling with the breakable glass and the various Pokemon Trainer reactions, the Wingulls are a pretty cute touch, and I feel like they help make this stage more of a tribute towards the overall Pokemon series than first-gen nostalgiaoverload, especially with so many Pokemon being able to appear, the momentum-assisted movement is also something I really like. It seems perfectly playable.
Total: 23

Distortion World by TechPowah
Popularity:
5/5
Playability: 6/10
My opinion on Pokemon Platinum, and I'm pretty sure a lot of people's:
I didn't give you full Creativity because the location allows for so much more than a single overblown hazard, but I must say...the twisting camera sure sounds fun! Although I'm not clear on whether it is the camera that twists, or the actual gravity of the stage, some pictures would've done wonders for that, especially for the Playability part. Now...on the Playability side...I can't say you put much thought into making the stage as fun to play as it sounds on paper, I feel like there are certain design sensibilities that might've helped alleviate the twisting camera, one of those would've been avoiding turning the camera upside down, remember how MK8 devs specifically said that they were OK with turning the camera sideways, but not upside down because it's disorienting? Well, that happens here. I can't really say much, a few tweaks to the camera formula and you would've been my best score on the round.
Total: 20[/collapse]
[collapse=Zzuxon's Grades]Themarioaddict - Black City/White Forest

Comments: Solid first stage for this round. Playability is high due to the simple layout and very manageable transformation. Not sure how popular the locations are, so I’ll give the benefit of the doubt. The fact that this is a transforming stage that barely transforms at all is not only interesting and unique, but faithful to the source, netting a high creativity.

Kevandre - Fortree City

Comments: This city sounds like it’d be fairly memorable, but it is just another town, hence the passable popularity score. Playability is very solid, it is symmetrical and Kecleon helps to prevent ladder abuse. The layout and destructible bridge are quite creative.

RADSheikah - N’s Castle
Playability: 6/10
Total:16/25

Comments: N’s castle clearly is a very important location from the B&W games. Playabilty seems bad at first, but really isn’t any worse than SMI. SMI wasn’t irritating, so have a decent playability score. Fairly creative too.

ryuu seika - Gengar Graveyard
Popularity: 2/5
Total: 17/25

Comments: Alright, so Pokemon pinball is kinda obscure. Had to take away popularity on that, but not too much. Gengar hurt your playability score a lot, particularly since characters without projectiles are powerless against him. However, this is easily one of the most creative stages this round.

TheUltraDeino - Tohjo Falls

Comments: I honestly have no idea how well known this is. Giving you the benefit of the doubt with a decent pop score. Looks very playable, and the layout, waterfalls, and Lapras are interesting. Not a huge amount to say, just a good all around stage.

Violenceman - SS Anne

Comments: This boat is one of the more famous locations from the gen1 games, so I gave you a good popularity score. The layout is very unique and looks like it would make for some interesting matches. Now, we just need to go use strength on that truck don’t we? :troll:

TechPowah - Distortion World
Popularity: 5/5

Comments: Distortion world is the signature location of Pokemon Platinum, so nothing less than a perfect popularity score would do. As a scrolling stage, and a particularly weird one at that, I can’t give a good playability score. But the stage is clearly unlike any other, and very faithful to the source game, making for a perfect creativity score.[/collapse]
Total Scores:

TheMarioaddict - 79
Kevandre - 80
RADSheikah - 69
ryuu seika - 72
TheUltraDeino - 77
Violenceman - 92
TechPowah - 77

Guess who wins...?
Congrats, Violenceman! You've made me hate Gen 1 a little less!
[collapse=S.S. Anne by Violenceman]Name of Stage: S.S. Anne
Game of Origin: Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow

Description: The S.S Anne is a renowned luxury cruise liner that travels around the world. It makes annual stops in Vermillion City, Kanto and is a popular attraction for well-to-do Pokemon Trainers.

View attachment 20120
Key: Red -- Solid Ground | Blue -- Passable Platform | Grey -- Breakable Glass | Violet -- Passable Walls

The stage itself follows the SS Anne as it takes a cruise around Kanto. The fighting takes place on the outside of the boat...mostly. While you can run up the slanted glass walls like a ramp on either side of the boat, they can also be broken with a few hits (or a flying fighter moving at high speed), allowing the fighters to travel inside the boat to continue fighting. When no one is in the ship's interiors, the outside of the boat will show and it will cut away when some one enters. The bottom floor will show case a hallway with many cabin doors, while the top floor will showcase the Captain's quarters, complete with a seasick captain huddling in the corner. Atop the ship are two smokestacks; the walls are in the background and can be passed through, but you can also fight atop the smokestack platforms.

The stage starts off docked at Vermillion City for about 30 seconds. Then the ship will take off and sail away, passing under the Route 17 Bike Path, through the Seafoam Islands, around Cinnabar Island, by Pallet Town, then back under Route 17 to dock at Vermillion City for a 6 minute loop. These location all show in the background and will not be interactive part of the stage

Gimmicks/Hazards: There are also two additional platforms that will show up from time to time. On the left, some Wingulls will fly in holding rope in their breaks that are tied to the corners of a small passable platform that will position itself above the ship deck. The bird Pokemon can hold one character just fine, but with two or three characters, the platform will dip down closer to the ship as the Wingulls struggle to hold it aloft. If four fighters get on the platform at once, the Wingulls will let it drop to the ground and fly off. If that doesn't happen, the Wingulls will eventually and slowly fly off the top of the screen after some time, taking anyone unlucky enough to still be on the platform with them.

On the right, a Lapras will occasionally surface and swim behind the ship for a while. The fighters can land on its large shelled back or the top of its raised head; the Lapras is pretty laid back and doesn't care much about the fighting going on. However, when it lets out a yawn, everyone will need to get off because it will soon submerge back into the water.

Also, the ship itself travels at a relatively slow pace, so the motion of the stage has little affect on the movements of the characters (although recovering from the left may be slightly easier).

Unlockable?: Yes, beat Classic mode on Normal difficulty or higher with any Pokemon character.

Extras: On board the ship - Trainers and their Pokemon will come out to the main deck to watch you fight, and will also come out from their cabins to watch if the fighting moves indoors. Pidgeottos and Spearows will fly by overhead as you sail along. In the water below, you will see Goldeen jumping out of the water and Tentacools poking their heads out from the waves. In the port hole windows on the bottom compartment of the ship, you can see some Trainers and Pokemon wandering around.

While docked at Vermillion City - Many townspeople and towns-Pokemon (including Lt. Surge and his Raichu) have gathered to watch the boat depart and will cheer as it starts sailing away. There is a truck off to the side of the dock; if you look carefully, you may spot some glowing eyes in the darkness beneath it.

While passing through the Seafoam Islands - The islands will have Seels and Dewgongs sunning themselves on the rocks. There is one very noticeable cave entrance on one of the islands; some Zubats will fly out as you pass by. If you are very lucky, you might see Articuno fly out instead!

While passing by Cinnabar Island - On Cinnabar, you will see Blaine training with his Magmar outside his Gym. The volcano behind his gym will sometimes start erupting, causing Blaine to run back into his gym. The S.S. Anne will safely depart from the island before anything happens.

While passing by Pallet Town - Professor Oak and his grandson can be seen training young Pokemon trainers looking to start their journey.

Also, for the Pokemon you see with the Trainers on the ship, there are seven default Pokemon it will randomly select from to use: Ratticate, Chansey, Sandshrew, Pinsir, Grimer, Growlithe, and Farfetch'd. However, if you have the Pokedex 3D app on your 3DS, this stage will take data from the program and can use your bank of downloaded Pokemon to have some of them appear on the stage instead.

Music Selection:
S.S. Anne / Surfing Theme
Trainer Battle[/collapse]Now...THE WAIT BEGINS...FOR THE NEXT ROUND...

Last edited:

TheUltraDeino

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheUltraDeino
3DS FC
3866-8826-1729
Tied for 4th ain't bad Iguess. Completely at the middle of the scores. Not too bad, not too good, but completely in the middle.

Nonetheless, can't wait for the next round

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Damn son. I can't believe I took second place this round. Even if it WAS a distant second.

I'm pretty sure that as soon as we all saw @ Violenceman Violenceman 's entry that we all knew it was over.

Nice round, yo. Excited for the next as always.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Damn son. I can't believe I took second place this round. Even if it WAS a distant second.

I'm pretty sure that as soon as we all saw @ Violenceman Violenceman 's entry that we all knew it was over.

Nice round, yo. Excited for the next as always.
Violenceman looks at all the other contestants deep in the eye and says...

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Violenceman looks at all the other contestants deep in the eye and says...
...yeah...

By the way, why do you dislike RBY so much? I know that those games didn't age particularly well but I feel like FRLG helped a lot. To be perfectly honest I liked the GBA era probably the best (in general) and felt like both generations represented there are among the best in the series.

My favorite Pokemon games are HGSS, which is strange because I really didn't care that much for GSC. But HGSS had the right amount of fanservice and lengthy gameplay (And no bull**** "you can't evolve Pokemon not from this region until postgame" like FRLG had...)

I'm truly surprised that everyone here liked BW so much. I really hated them. I had been under the impression that only /vp/ actually liked those games, and since it's 4chan it's easy to assume that they're trolling or just trying to be edgy by liking the bad one.

Edit: Hey, @ BridgesWithTurtles BridgesWithTurtles , looks like the Hall of Fame post hasn't been updated for a while. Most recent one on there is the Metroid round.

Last edited:

TheUltraDeino

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheUltraDeino
3DS FC
3866-8826-1729
I'm truly surprised that everyone here liked BW so much. I really hated them. I had been under the impression that only /vp/ actually liked those games, and since it's 4chan it's easy to assume that they're trolling or just trying to be edgy by liking the bad one.
...is it bad that one of my ideas for this round was the battle subway?

In all seriousness, Gen V was not bad, I certainly do like some of the pokemon there (if you haven't guessed from my username =P), I mean, most of my favorite pokemon are from Gen IV, but Gen V had some unique designs (Bisharp, Hydreigon, Samurott (sorry to the guy who said earlier that hated him, but he's one of my fav starters), Zorua, etc). My biggest complaint of the gen though was how disgustingly linear it was. You were always on a set path. I thought rpgs were suppose to be big and expansive. I was disappointed when I found out that XY was also very linear.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
...is it bad that one of my ideas for this round was the battle subway?

In all seriousness, Gen V was not bad, I certainly do like some of the pokemon there (if you haven't guessed from my username =P), I mean, most of my favorite pokemon are from Gen IV, but Gen V had some unique designs (Bisharp, Hydreigon, Samurott (sorry to the guy who said earlier that hated him, but he's one of my fav starters), Zorua, etc). My biggest complaint of the gen though was how disgustingly linear it was. You were always on a set path. I thought rpgs were suppose to be big and expansive. I was disappointed when I found out that XY was also very linear.
So odd. Different strokes, I guess. Both my wife and I got BW the day they came out and neither of us finished them just due to not liking them at all.

There are some cool Pokemon though. A lot of which I didn't really see or use until X&Y so in my head I think of them as being gen 6 pokemon. Volcarona is one of my favorites. Golurk, Chandelure (I have a shiny one!) and Sigilyph are bros as well.

X&Y was linear, but I find myself easily forgiving X&Y for a lot of its missteps since it was such a different feeling generation than the previous ones. I feel like ORAS will really help them keep that feeling but get back into the groove of Pokemon.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
...yeah...

By the way, why do you dislike RBY so much? I know that those games didn't age particularly well but I feel like FRLG helped a lot. To be perfectly honest I liked the GBA era probably the best (in general) and felt like both generations represented there are among the best in the series.

My favorite Pokemon games are HGSS, which is strange because I really didn't care that much for GSC. But HGSS had the right amount of fanservice and lengthy gameplay (And no bull**** "you can't evolve Pokemon not from this region until postgame" like FRLG had...)

Edit: Hey, @ BridgesWithTurtles BridgesWithTurtles , looks like the Hall of Fame post hasn't been updated for a while. Most recent one on there is the Metroid round.
Actually, Pokemon Black's my second favorite game of the franchise, the first will always be Platinum...I dunno, I always loved how you truly felt like this was a whole new world (believe it...!) because there were enough Pokemon to not add others from other regions, it had that similar sense of discovery that games had when the Internet didn't exist or wasn't as big, I guess it helps that I had dropped out of Pokemon and didn't check any BW Pokedex, so every time I saw a new Pokemon, it was like Johto all over again :3 With how exciting new Pokemon were, and how cool some of the designs were, it felt like what Gen 1 would've been with modern design sensibilities. I also thought that the Final Battle actually being againist someone with your opposite legendary was something really epic.

And I don't REALLY hate RBY, I just find them similar to Super Smash Bros. Melee, games I like a fair amount, but end up hating them with passion due to their overly-obnoxious fanbases who love to stomp on any other game on the series, the genwunners are even worse though, because they have the bull**** 'it was the original' drilled into their minds. And to tell the truth, I find most of the Gen 1 Pokemon designs boring as hell, especially when you compare them to Gen 4 and 5, which have been the best Pokemon-wise, I mean, I like Ivysaur, Charizard, Pikachu, Dragonair, Mew...and that's pretty much it, there's no Pokemon I ABSOLUTELY LOVE on Gen 1 like Chandelure or Goodra, or Toxicroak, or Reshiram, or Giratina.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Well, my scores are pretty bad but I'm still fairly happy with the result, even if I personally feel there could have been a little more to the winning stage.

And yes, I did intentionally pick the most ridiculous possible game to pull from, that's just how I do things.

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
...yeah...

Okay, I'm being completely honest here...I had been updating the Hall of Fame every round. I was confused when you brought this up, but lo and behold, somehow, the most recent updates have been erased. I have no idea how this happened, as the Hall of Fame was up-to-date the last time I saw it. I'll make sure to fix it, I guess.

Congrats to the winner. Can't say I disagree, though there were other entries I wouldn't have minded claiming victory. Generation I is a fantastic generation for what it's worth, and I've never had any trouble with "Genwunners". I honestly think this group of people is highly exaggerated in size and attitude, but even if they aren't, I don't let them cloud my judgment of the actual games. While Gen I isn't near the top of my list, I still quite enjoy it. The only generations I feel any sort of dislike toward are Gens IV and VI, anyway. Black and White are definitely among my favorites. They introduced some of my favorite designs ever: Ferrothorn, Scrafty, Serperior, Beheeyem, Beartic, Durant, Heatmor, etc.

Ascended

Smash Ace
When Gen 3 came out, I was disappointed that it didn't have a connection to the first two gens (Something I loved about Gen 2 was that you got to go back to Kanto at the end, and I was hoping to go back to Johto at the end of Gen 3). Then when I played it, I just did not like the games at all. The music was the most aggravating thing to me (GBA's low quality sound and all those excruciatingly loud trumpet songs.) I also felt that battles moved way to slow (It seemed like Pokemon hardly took any damage.) I didn't like any of the starters, and the only new Pokemon I liked were the Aron line and the legendary trio. I will be getting Alpha Sapphire as it looks to be fixing a lot of the problems I had with that gen (Specifically the terrible music, and it using the X/Y engine fixes a lot of the gameplay problems already.)

So to sum up, Gen 3 is my least favorite, with Gen 4 not far behind (Super slow battle system, didn't like the character or Pokemon designs, didn't like the legendaries, but the starters, Buizel, Lucario, and Hippopotas were all cool.)

Gen 5 was my favorite because it got me back into Pokemon. I really liked the character and Pokemon designs, the animated sprites in battle, the story, N, felt that the battles were much faster, thought it was cool that Unova was based on America, and personally, I love linear games. I need to know exactly where to go and what to do or else I get bored and frustrated (which is why I hate open world games, yet for some reason I love the Zelda series.) I tried to play White after X, and while I still quite enjoy Gen 5, the improvements to to gameplay found in Gen 6 have pushed X & Y into my favorite Pokemon games slot.

TL;DR:
From favorite to least favorite:
X & Y
Black & White
Gold & Silver
Red & Blue
Diamond & Pearl
Ruby & Sapphire

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
When Gen 3 came out, I was disappointed that it didn't have a connection to the first two gens (Something I loved about Gen 2 was that you got to go back to Kanto at the end, and I was hoping to go back to Johto at the end of Gen 3). Then when I played it, I just did not like the games at all. The music was the most aggravating thing to me (GBA's low quality sound and all those excruciatingly loud trumpet songs.) I also felt that battles moved way to slow (It seemed like Pokemon hardly took any damage.) I didn't like any of the starters, and the only new Pokemon I liked were the Aron line and the legendary trio. I will be getting Alpha Sapphire as it looks to be fixing a lot of the problems I had with that gen (Specifically the terrible music, and it using the X/Y engine fixes a lot of the gameplay problems already.)

You don't mess with the trumpets...I'm actually afraid they're going to ruin the trumpets with XY's techno style.
BTW! I just got a Hidden Ability, 6IVs Modest Eevee with Wish and Heal Bell! How's that for a great day!?

Last edited:

MajorMajora

Smash Ace
How is one able to tell what the current topic is and where the grading schedule is at (Are submissions still open?) Maybe that should be on the OP, or I'm just bad at finding it.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
How is one able to tell what the current topic is and where the grading schedule is at (Are submissions still open?) Maybe that should be on the OP, or I'm just bad at finding it.
Look at the title, we just finished the Pokemon 3DS round and we'll be posting the next round soon.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
The OP said:
SUBMISSION GUIDELINES!
-Only one submission per person per round-
-Has to follow the theme/rules of the round as dictated. Failure to follow the rules will result in the submission not being counted-
-Submissions must be submitted within a particular timeframe (Usual waiting time's 5 days!)-
We will make an announcement in the thread before closing a round, and the thread title will reflect that (usually saying something similar to "Now Grading") sometime thereafter. The current topic should usually be expressed in the thread title as well.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/WiiU - Stage Contest - Round 12: Pokemon (3DS) ~Graded 'Em All!~

As said in the title, the current topic is handheld pokemon and it has ended and been marked. That means that the next round should begin (with a title change to match) in about a week (give or take an indeterminate amount of time). The submission period will begin anew then.

Ascended

Smash Ace
@ D-idara D-idara : The only song from Gen 3 I liked was Victory Road, and that sounds much better in Brawl due to not being restricted by the low sound quality of the GBA. I'll never understand why people thought it was a good idea to make an entire soundtrack out of trumpets. (The only music I can't stand is Jazz and Brass Band. Trumpets and horn instruments just grate on me.)

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/WiiU - Stage Contest - Round 12: Pokemon (3DS) ~Graded 'Em All!~

As said in the title, the current topic is handheld pokemon and it has ended and been marked. That means that the next round should begin (with a title change to match) in about a week (give or take an indeterminate amount of time). The submission period will begin anew then.
Actually, if all goes well, there's no reason the next round won't begin within the next day this time. So yes, give or take an indeterminate amount of time.

On the subject of music, I like R/S/E's music a lot, but it's not my favorite in the series. By contrast, I dislike the "techno + guitars" sound of most of X/Y's music. Ironically, I tend to dislike brass band music more often than most other types of music, and I absolutely adore electronic genres.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I really enjoy RSE's music... when I'm playing the game. It's not one that I like to listen to outside of the game.

I very routinely listen to the soundtracks of games just generally, but DKC1 (And Stickerbrush Symphony) and Super Metroid are at the top of my most listened.

Pokemon games have great music but not so good that I really listen to them outside of the game, but RSE's trumpets do kind of grate after a while.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I really enjoy RSE's music... when I'm playing the game. It's not one that I like to listen to outside of the game.

I very routinely listen to the soundtracks of games just generally, but DKC1 (And Stickerbrush Symphony) and Super Metroid are at the top of my most listened.

Pokemon games have great music but not so good that I really listen to them outside of the game, but RSE's trumpets do kind of grate after a while.
No they don't >:c
I mean, the Rival Battle Theme and Enemy Team Boss Themes are the greatest things ever.

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
oh hey, third place! It seems I can only ever get third or 2nd to last. How does that work?

Also, I find it funny that half the judges loved my simple stage layout, and half didn't. Can't please everyone, I guess.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
I...I didn't get last again? After I worked so hard on getting last a 3rd time in a row?*

:troll:

I'm kidding, i'm surprised I got such good scores, actually. Congrats @ Violenceman Violenceman , you really blew this one out of the water!

On the camera changing for my stage and gravity, the idea was to have it where when you reach some kind of wall or cliff, you would just be able to walk right on the wall, Mario Galaxy-style, and then the camera would just start scrolling in that direction; the only time the camera itself would rotate is when Giratina appears to use Earth Power. I know this bit of clarity is too late to change my scores, but I hope that helps to better understand what I was trying to convey.

*I wasn't really purposefully trying to get last, that's just a joke. =P

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I...I didn't get last again? After I worked so hard on getting last a 3rd time in a row?*

:troll:

I'm kidding, i'm surprised I got such good scores, actually. Congrats @ Violenceman Violenceman , you really blew this one out of the water!

On the camera changing for my stage and gravity, the idea was to have it where when you reach some kind of wall or cliff, you would just be able to walk right on the wall, Mario Galaxy-style, and then the camera would just start scrolling in that direction; the only time the camera itself would rotate is when Giratina appears to use Earth Power. I know this bit of clarity is too late to change my scores, but I hope that helps to better understand what I was trying to convey.

*I wasn't really purposefully trying to get last, that's just a joke. =P
I would like there to be a round where we try to make the worst stage we can.

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
I would like there to be a round where we try to make the worst stage we can.
Well then, let's do it!

UNOFFICIAL BONUS ROUND: WORST STAGE POSSIBLE

Alrighty, folks! Time for an unofficial round! Make the worst stage you can! Any game series will do, just as long as the stage sucks! You have until the next round is announced to submit! Since I'm initiating it, I'll judge the entries. @ Kevandre Kevandre can too, if he wants to, because he suggested it in the first place.

Go! Go! Let the terrible stages flow forth!!!

#TotallyNotHijackingThisThread

#IHopeTheRealJudgesDon'tMindMeDoingThis

#Can'tStopWon'tStop

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Well then, let's do it!

Alrighty, folks! Time for an unofficial round! Make the worst stage you can! Any game series will do, just as long as the stage sucks! You have until the next round is announced to submit! Since I'm initiating it, I'll judge the entries. @ Kevandre Kevandre can too, if he wants to, because he suggested it in the first place.

#Can'tStopWon'tStop
If this succeeds as an event, all I can say is that you should fear no wrath from the rightful judges of this thread. But God help anyone who participates, since I'll administer my own scores as well. And I'm far better at identifying bad ideas than good ones. You'd better make those stages awful if you want a good score from me.

Also, the legitimate next round will begin tomorrow, so keep that in mind.

TheUltraDeino

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheUltraDeino
3DS FC
3866-8826-1729
Here's my idea:
BLANK SPACE:
There is nothing in this stage, not even any platforms, as soon as you spawn, you plummet to your death until the match ends.
-------------------------

Things aside, will there be rounds where the theme isn't franchise-based, and instead will be based off of different archetypes, like, say, a water level, but you can only use Nintendo franchises and the third parties featured in Brawl/4? Just wondering.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Things aside, will there be rounds where the theme isn't franchise-based, and instead will be based off of different archetypes, like, say, a water level, but you can only use Nintendo franchises and the third parties featured in Brawl/4? Just wondering.
I can't say it's not a possibility, but at the moment, there are no plans for this. This is something we discussed before the thread was even created, and in the end, we felt that this sort of round theming could possibly limit the variety and creativity, and could be subject to bias influencing what is submitted to too far a degree, as well as influencing how submissions are graded. Some games/series may see too much representation in the contest, for example. Mario has a lot more environment types to pick from than a series like Animal Crossing, for example, so the contest would likely be skewed in favor of more Mario entries (and victors). This contradicted with our goal of exploring the creativity and diversity of Nintendo's franchises represented within Smash Bros., and of the users who participate in the contest. Basically, we want the users to answer: "What stage do you want to see from X franchise?"; the contest was inspired by discontent that some of us had with how certain series were being represented via their stages, and how we thought we had more sensible ideas than Sakurai.

We're moving along at a pretty good pace, and if participants are still around after the games release, I see no reason why the contest can't continue thereafter, since this whole thread is more about theorizing and idea-crafting than earnest speculation. If the contest does continue, I think it's possible we can see some non-franchise-themed rounds in the indeterminate future, but nothing is a guarantee one way or the other. It's just not something we've decided upon at this moment in time.

Last edited:

Jords2Good

Smash Journeyman
Hey, wanted to ask if its too late to join in this whole contest thing? How long is it going to last? I kinda want to try it out.

I'm guessing we are suppose to create a Pokemon stage for the 3ds right?

Last edited:

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
Hey, wanted to ask if its too late to join in this whole contest thing? How long is it going to last? I kinda want to try it out.

I'm guessing we are suppose to create a Pokemon stage for the 3ds right?
Not anymore, you missed that round by about a week. However, tomorrow (according to Bridges) a new round will start, so you can join that one.

Also, right now I'm heading an unofficial round to make the worst stage possible, so you can try that if you like.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Well then, let's do it!

#Can'tStopWon'tStop
If I'm a judge, does that mean that I can't submit?

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
If I'm a judge, does that mean that I can't submit?
I would say that's correct. I mean, you don't HAVE to judge if you don't want to. I just think there might be a bit of bias if judges are judging their own stages.

Violenceman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ash316

I am glad everyone liked my stage! I know it may sound disingenuous to say so at this point, but I am honestly pretty surprised and grateful every time I win a round, especially against so many other really great stages.

I really got into Pokemon when it first came out (playing Red/Blue, watching the cartoon, playing the card game), but kinda cooled on the franchise before I played any more main-series games. But the concept of the Pokemon games and the world they create still intrigue me, and I would like to pick up another one at some point. My game of choice was Blue (my brother had Red), mostly for Sandshrew, a Pokemon I immediately attached myself to for some unknown reason; to this day, it is still one of my favorite Pokemon (tied for first with Bulbasaur).

Any one else have a friend or relative with one version of the game while you had the other and spent the first few hours of game play replaying the beginning of the game 6 times in order to collect and trade all three starters to your buddy twice so you each had all three to start the game? Good times.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622

I am glad everyone liked my stage! I know it may sound disingenuous to say so at this point, but I am honestly pretty surprised and grateful every time I win a round, especially against so many other really great stages.

I really got into Pokemon when it first came out (playing Red/Blue, watching the cartoon, playing the card game), but kinda cooled on the franchise before I played any more main-series games. But the concept of the Pokemon games and the world they create still intrigue me, and I would like to pick up another one at some point. My game of choice was Blue (my brother had Red), mostly for Sandshrew, a Pokemon I immediately attached myself to for some unknown reason; to this day, it is still one of my favorite Pokemon (tied for first with Bulbasaur).

Any one else have a friend or relative with one version of the game while you had the other and spent the first few hours of game play replaying the beginning of the game 6 times in order to collect and trade all three starters to your buddy twice so you each had all three to start the game? Good times.
Emerald :3 I remember it fondly.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I would say that's correct. I mean, you don't HAVE to judge if you don't want to. I just think there might be a bit of bias if judges are judging their own stages.
Well, I'll judge. But I just won't judge my own.

IT'S TIME.

You guys remember that one Melee level? The infamously bad one that everyone (except me) despised playing on?

"What's this fuschia sky...?"

BOOM.

POKEFLOATS 2 TIME NOW

"What is this cluster****?"

You'd... really have to have played Pokefloats in Melee to really kind of understand this stage.

This time around I've evenly distributed the Pokemon between all six generations of Pokemon!

They're broken into sections like so:

I'll break down each section simultaneously, but before I do so, I'll give you the order in which you climb atop each different Pokemon:

And without further ado...

SECTION 1: RBY

Our four Pokemon to represent the first games are, in order: Ninetales, Magikarp, Cubone & (gasp) Mewtwo!

The players start off on the curled tail of Ninetailes up top. The camera pans to the left, so the fighters much move over Ninetales's body to the left side, resulting in a leap of faith. Eventually they land upon a Magikarp, who is spinning slowly in a circle counter-clockwise. Magikarp is also slowly moving downward, so, like Brinstar Depths, you've got to move as the Karp circles while you progress. Eventually, Magikarp will halt and the camera continues to pan down, eventually bringing you to Cubone. Cubone is moving its bone club up and down , so you've got to keep that in mind. Eventually, it'll fling you from the bone club across to the tail of Mewtwo. Eventually, Mewtwo's tail whips back toward itself. It will then use a psychic hit to throw all players downward toward the next section.

If, of course, Mewtwo does return as playable in SSB4 and is on the battlefield, well.. You know what's coming.

SECTION TWO: GSC

The four Pokemon we're dealing with this time are Girafarig, Magcargo, Mareep & Spinarak.

Mewtwo/Alfonzo's psychic attack blasts the fighters down to lie atop the tail/second head of Girafarig. The camera does pan to the left fairly quickly here, so be sure to jump across its spiky back to its head fast!

After that, the camera pans down, and you've got to jump down to land atop Magcargo's shell. Don't move left. You'll take fire damage. Be sure to avoid the fire pouring out of the crack in its shell too, or you'll take some fire damage there as well!

You then jump down to Mareep's fluffy body. This is a bouncy surface, so atop Mareep is mostly airbourne. Avoid its tail bulb though- you might get an electric shock!

Following, you must jump to the right onto one of Spinarak's limbs. Spinarak is suspended from its web, and is thus swinging back and forth. So time your jump! Climb atop Spinarak's abdomen and begin climbing the web (ladder style) to the next section of the map.

SECTION THREE: RSE

The four Pokemon we have in this section are Lombre (With Koffing's face), Altaria, Nosepass & Slaking.

Spinarak's web from the last section was attached to Lombre's lid! After you climb aboard it, quickly move to the right side of it and jump into the familiar bouncy cloud-feeling of Altaria's wing!

Altaria's wing acts just like Mareep's wool. Very bouncy and aerial based. It will eventually move its wing up to its other wing, where you bounce from that to Nosepass's head.

Nosepass doesn't do much. You just have to continue battling as the camera pans across, eventually falling with the camera all the way down to Slaking's large noggin.

Slaking... also doesn't do much. He's just loafing around. Camera stays here for a slightly longer period of time before panning to the right for our next section.

SECTION FOUR: DPPt

Our Pokemon this time are Toxicroak, Skuntank, Magnezone & Drifblim!

Toxicroak's hand is hovering right next to Slaking's head, so it's a short jump across. Battle your way across Toxicroak's head and arms to eventually fall to Skuntank.

But... you never actually land on Skuntank's back?? Instead, its noxious fumes, lift you up into the air! This section is similar to Brawl's Pokemon Stadium 2's flying type mode.

Eventually you start to rise rather than just float around, and it turns out that Magnezone is using its magnets (I'm not sure how they work) to pull you toward it! Before you get too close though, Magnezone rises suddenly and shoots the party toward the left side of the map!

...Where you land upon Drifblim's head. Drifblim does a cute kawaii desu~ face and then rises up to transition the party to the next area.

SECTION 5: BW

The Pokemon in this section are Scolipede, Krokorok, Seismitoad & Volcarona.

Drifblim rises enough and then the next logical place to jump to is the inside of Scolipede's neck! Once everyone's on board, Scolipede will roll forward to the right side! Eventually, this leads the party to the tail of Krokorok.

Krokorok sits there. Judging. Watching you. You climb up its body and eventually are duking it out on top of its head. Up until the hand of Seismitoad is stretched towards you.

On Seismitoad, you have a rather bumpy trail because of its boils. The "speakers" as Bulbapedia called them are rather bouncy to stand on, so watch out for that.

Move across Seismitoad to land on the back of a large Volcarona. Volcarona will move to the left and slightly down, and you just fight on the incline during this time until you get to the final section of the stage.

SECTION 6: XY

Are you sick of reading this yet? I sure am sick of writing it!

The Pokemon on this section are Avalugg, Dragalge, Clawitzer & Doublade.

Volcarona drops you off on the expanse of Avalugg's back. This area is slippery, but otherwise harmless. Eventually, you find your way to the left edge of Avalugg and jump to Dragalge's fin.

Climb up the many fins and appendages that Dragalge has, don't worry. It doesn't mind.

At the longer appendage you get to, the camera will pan to the right, allowing you to jump to Clawitzer's LARGE claw. Climb up the claw until you get to the top.

Doublade is there to accept you. You jump up there to battle the incline, eventually reaching the top and then the downward hill on the other side, which leads you straight back to Ninetails for the entire thing to start again!

PHEW!

This all takes place in about two minutes, so it goes pretty fast. Can you keep up?

THIS is probably the dumbest thing I've ever done. Lol. Kinda made my head hurt.

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman

You don't mess with the trumpets...I'm actually afraid they're going to ruin the trumpets with XY's techno style.
BTW! I just got a Hidden Ability, 6IVs Modest Eevee with Wish and Heal Bell! How's that for a great day!?
If only it was calm it'd be the perfect sylveon

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
If only it was calm it'd be the perfect sylveon
Well, at least it's not Naive or Adamant, it's simply too good to pass up because it doesn't have a defensive nature, it still makes for a brutal Wishpasser/Healer/Dragonslayer.

Top Bottom