• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/WiiU - Stage Contest - Round 14 - Kid Icarus

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
This next round must be something incredibly epic, because it's taking way longer than normal to be announced. (at least, I think this is longer than normal. I dunno, I've only participated for about 3 rounds now) Clearly, the wait is intended to build hype to absurd levels, right?

...right?

Ascended

Smash Ace
The Pokémon Movies are leagues better than the anime.
Yu-Gi-Oh & Yu-Gi-Oh Duelist are awesome, and I highly recommend if you're looking for a good manga to get into.
Digimon Frontier is one of my top ten favorite anime of all time (I'm a sucker for anything that has elements of Tokusatsu.)

I think I just went a little overboard on my nerdiness in this post...

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
D-idara think he'll be done today. No promises though.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Sure but we're simultaneously expecting some sort of punking

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
It's finally here!

A wild stage round appeared!

We've already dined over curry and visited pavilions in the sky, but we've yet to scratch more than the surface of the Pokémon franchise's collection of locations, the amount of which rivals the number of the titular critters themselves! Which stage that you've already completed region will you look to for inspiration? Will you appeal to everyone's nostalgia by taking us back to Kanto? Exacerbate our hype with Hoenn? Stay trendy by visiting Kalos again? Or will you do something else entirely? Aside from the main series of games, Pokémon spinoffs are also omnipresent across the spectrum of Nintendo handheld systems. Get out there into that tall grass and start your Pokémon journey!

Bonus question: Starter Pokémon are among the most beloved and iconic creatures in the series. Grass! Fire! Water! Which do you choose?​

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
The Pokémon Movies are leagues better than the anime.
Yu-Gi-Oh & Yu-Gi-Oh Duelist are awesome, and I highly recommend if you're looking for a good manga to get into.
Digimon Frontier is one of my top ten favorite anime of all time (I'm a sucker for anything that has elements of Tokusatsu.)

I think I just went a little overboard on my nerdiness in this post...
Yugioh's overdramaticization truly shined in what little I read of the manga.
Personally, I was more of a Tamers fan than a Frontier guy but the mid to end section was still pretty darn good. I would likely be drawing from Frontier, Adventure or one of the games for stage inspiration were that the current round but as is I'm going to have to do some research. My pokemon knowledge only really extends to gen 1 & 2 and its accompanying N64 games.

As for my favourite type, my element is and will always be fire but the non-conformity of Pikachu and the cuteness of Squirtle also appeal to me. Out of all of Gen 1 I'd be inclined to take either a Dratini or a Magikarp though, the latter being because I like a challenge.

Last edited:

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
Perfect, already had a stage prior to the spoil!

Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to take you to one of the coolest areas from my favorite pokemon games!

Welcome, one and all, to Black City/White Forest!

Stage Name: Black City/White Forest

Game: Pokemon Black/White

Description:

There are two phases to this stage, Black City and White Forest. Duh. The stage will randomly choose one to start off on. For this description, I will start with Black City.

Before saying anything, let me stress one point: THE ONLY PARTS THAT ARE PLATFORMS ARE THE PURPLE AND RED LINES. That's it. The grey lines are just other parts of the buildings. NOT platforms.

Now, with that out of the way, The purple platforms are solid, while the red one can be dropped through. The sides of the 2 blue buildings also act as walls for the whole way down the stage. (No, the little tiny edges of the lower blue building are not tiny platforms. As I said, ONLY the purple and red lines are platforms. Every other part is either in the background or foreground.)

After a little while on the Black City part of the stage (let's say... 30 seconds ish?), Reshiram will fly up from the background. When he does this, he will roar a mighty roar, and the stage will change to become White Forest!

Notice anything? That's right, the platforms are in the EXACT same positions as in Black City! Just like in the games, where the Big Buildings and Big Trees are in the same spots, the platforms will stay in the same spots as well! Cool, right? Anyways, on THIS portion of the stage, the same rules apply as from Black City: Purple is solid, red is drop through. THIS time, however, There are NO walls down to the ground. All the platforms are essentially floating.

After another 30 seconds on this part, Zekrom will appear. HIS roar will change the stage back to Black City, and the cycle will begin anew.

Hazards: When the stage switches, there is a small chance of Kyurem appearing instead of the normal Legendary. When this happens, the stage will change as normal, but a random platform will be covered in Ice, making that platform slippery. When the stage changes again, the platform will return to normal.

Aesthetics:

Basically, trees and forest-y pokemon in the background for White Forest, and buildings and City-like pokemon for Black City.

Music:

(I was about to add a ton of awesome tracks from the 5th gen games, but then I remembered that the 3DS stages only have 2 tracks each.)

(...screw it, adding a ton anyways.)

(Some kind of mashup of Black City and White Forest themes)
N Battle (Black/White)
Unova Elite 4 Battle (Black/White, Black 2/White 2)
Rival Battle (Black 2/White 2)
Colress Battle (Black 2/White 2)
Neo Team Plasma Battle (Black 2/White 2)
Ghetsis Battle (Black 2/White 2)

And for a more calming track

Village Bridge (Black/White, Black 2/White 2)

There you have it! The best stage from the best game.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and Grass Starters for the win.

Unless it's Kanto.

In that case, Water Starter.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Awww yeeeeeee

Among the treetops of everyone's lists of areas they're excited to revisit in 3D from Hoenn is...

Fortree City

Wow.. So green!
Fortree City is a city in Hoenn lush with trees and houses up in them. Our stage is no different and takes advantage of that.

The stage mainly takes place above many trees, with a rope bridge connecting two houses up on their own. The houses themselves are elevated platforms, along with the platforms that they themselves are on. Ladders lead down to separate platforms below.

The majority of the floor of this stage consists of pointy-topped trees that have a slight knock-up and cause moderate damage. These won't KO you outright unless you are at a pretty high percentage.

There are two larger trees below the ropebridge that are safe to stand on as well- They will be a saving grace for many.

The rope bridge can also... be destroyed.

"Well goodbye Lucario!"
The rope bridge can be destroyed in sections. The sections will be rebuilt over time, but the aerial-based players will definitely want to take advantage of this time and possibly destroy more if they can.

Here's a breakdown of each individual breakable section of the bridge:

There are ladders leading down from the lower platforms as well- They're good to use as a quick avoidance maneuver but beware of people camping for you to come back up. Also.. stay down there too long...

"Ha! I'm safe down here!"

"...Well goodbye, Lucario!"
Kecleon will unvanish itself and perform a suckerpunch to the gut! You'll go flying up and possibly off the screen so I'd recommend not just hanging out down there to hide.

Unlockable? Yes, Lumiose is a better default stage. Let's say this unlocks after Ivysaur Sceptile whoever Pokemon is unlocked.

Music:
OR/AS Fortree Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnH-ckIyK5k

OR/AS Gym Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbCl2XAMtAY
Route 119 Theme (AKA Feebas's Lament): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_WkWaoBgNY
Re-Orchestrated Fortree Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pWLZrEipE4

Answer to bonus question: I don't dislike any of them, but more often than not I choose the grass starter.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Oh, I kinda of wrote that subconsciously. I forget usernames don't follow the American pattern of names of ending in -a usually being a girl's name, haha.

My bad D-idara.
You question my abilities as a judge and get my gender wrong :( I don't feel like I'm being treated appropiately...oh, also, whoever makes a stage based on my favorite Pokemon game ever (And one of my favorite games ever overall!) will get a single extra point! you'll just have to find out what game it is! (I'm pretty sure I've gushed over the game on the forums here and there).

RADSheikah

Smash Apprentice
Oh I totally Prepared for this Round!
My stage is N's Castle from B/W and B2W2
The stage layout is like this:
N's Castle.jpg

Reshiram and Zekrom battle in the background and on rare occasions one of their attacks can destroy the pillars (the giant red things) or you could destroy them yourself. When the pillars are destroyed the stage becomes a walk off stage. The attacks of Reshiram and Zekrom do not harm the player but Victini can come and grant the winning player a slight stat boost in their best area. (Sonic speed, Megaman Projectiles, Falcon melee attacks etc. etc.) The stage also has a high ceiling/blast zone. EDIT: also when victini becomes a stage element Alfonzo takes his place as a poke ball Pokemon Alfonso: Leave it to me! In reality if this stage is selected Victini would not appear as a Poke-Ball Pokemon.

The songs that play on this stage are, the Zekrom and Reshiram's Battle theme:

And a Team Plasma battle Medley consisting of:
Team Plasma Grunt Battle:

Colress' Battle:

And Final Battle N theme:

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Despite my utter distaste for the Gen 5 games, I can easily see both of the other entries being stages in SSB

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
But... but they were the best games in the series... how can you be so cruel...
I very much disagree. I found the story to be pretty non-interesting despite them trying to shove it at you, the majority of the pokemon were kinda meh at best (few exceptions- Volcarona has become one of my favorites and I like Sigilyph and Golurk a lot too), hands down worst starters ever... But most of all I found Unova to be incredibly poorly designed. B2 was better than B for sure, but only marginally so. I liked X way more, but HGSS are my ideal Pokemon games

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
To each his own, I suppose. I thought the games had better and more memorable characters (Hugh, N, Colress, Ghetsis). Plus it deviated from the main formula in small but great ways. Things like being able to pick which E4 member you fought, getting legit Sequels instead of a "third version", and of course the fact that the final boss was NOT the champion, but rather the leader of the evil team, which is far more sensible (something they decided against in X&Y, to my surprise). Plus, Triple battles were a neat addition to the battle systems. And personally, I thought most of the pokemon were awesome (not to mention that you could ONLY find gen 5 pokemon for the majority of black/white, making it feel like a whole new game instead of just a rehashing).

But I digress. That has naught to do with the contest.

Also:

whoever makes a stage based on my favorite Pokemon game ever (And one of my favorite games ever overall!) will get a single extra point! you'll just have to find out what game it is! (I'm pretty sure I've gushed over the game on the forums here and there).
Just looked up your post history and figured out what it was. Honestly, it's a mystery I didn't figure it out sooner. I mean, it was kinda shrouded in darkness, but that's neither here nor there. I'd make a stage from it, I would, but I've not played the game. The prior games, yes. But not that one.

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Heh, I've got some unpopular opinions. Generation V is among my favorite generations, and I actually greatly prefer Black and White to their sequels. The generation also boasts what I consider to be the best slew of monsters in the franchise's history. A significant portion of my favorites come from that generation, and I like how there were enough to build an entire regional dex from. Black and White felt so fresh, as you had to construct your party from monsters you weren't familiar with. It was almost like playing Red and Blue all over again.

Unova is a rather drab region, though, I'll admit. I like it more than Kalos, but not by much. There's never been a region I actually find to be substantially impressive, though, so I don't hold Unova's blandness too much against the games. Absolutely love the story, though, for what they are. Black and White actually have some pretty heavy themes for a Pokemon game. All of the symbolism regarding grey morality and the conflict between passion and reason is really interesting stuff, and it was pretty fresh for the series when the games first came out. It's no award-winning script by any means, but it's definitely writing I'd consider far and away the best in the series.

My fondness for Gen V is balanced by my roughly equal love for Generations II and III, so don't worry about too much bias sneaking its way into my grading. I'm pretty good at keeping an objective lens when I'm trying to be critical of something.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
You question my abilities as a judge and get my gender wrong :( I don't feel like I'm being treated appropiately..
I question your ability to keep content secret, I never called your judging skills into question. Basically, I wish you knew the whole Sm4sh roster : P

also, Gen 1/2/3 and to an extent 4

yeahhhhh

but if we're talking starters than nothing after gen 2 lol

Last edited:

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I question your ability to keep content secret, I never called your judging skills into question. Basically, I wish you knew the whole Sm4sh roster : P

also, Gen 1/2/3 and to an extent 4

yeahhhhh

but if we're talking starters than nothing after gen 2 lol
I wish I knew the whole Smash4 roster too :c
And I dunno about my favorite starter...from Gen 3, probably Sceptile, then Blaziken, and Delphox, I love Delphox, too bad it sucks :(
PLOT TWIST!
Which reminds me, what's your avatar from?
It's an original character (Mine).

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I tend to switch around with starters.

My favorites:
Bulbasaur
Cyndaquil
Mudkip (though gen 3 had the BEST starters, there was no wrong choice)
Turtwig
Snivy (I GUESS)
Froakie (though I also like Chespin. But I like Greninja way more than Chesnaught)

Aside from gen 3, I feel like there's always at least one starter per generation I really dislike.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Honestly I like all the starters from gen 1/2.

Charizard is my favorite pokemon of all time, but I do like squirtle and bulbasaur.

all 3 second gen starters are amazing, with Meganium probably being my favorite.

Once you get past gen 2, it starts getting spotty. First off, I haven't like a fire starter past gen 2, which sucks.
Sceptile/Swampert are all right. Gen 4... Empoleon is.. .decent.

I didn't even use my starter in gen 5 I hated them all. I've since warmed up to the snivy line, but...

didn't dislike any of gen 6, but none of them stood out as ones I liked. went with greninja/charmander. I thought I was gonna like delphox based on the starting form, but I really think they could've taken that evolution in a better direction, visually.

Also I'm totally being biased towards the earlier games because of nostalgia, lol.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
It's interesting- I don't care much for Meganium and Empoleon is the gen 4 starter I don't like (Really? Your beak is a trident? So stupid. Not over it, like seven years later).

Gen 5's starters just had wasted potential. Snivy should have become a badass grass raptor rather than some armless snake. Tepig's line was doomed from the start... Just look at it. It didn't get any better. I kind of like Samurott despite the fact that it looks absolutely nothing like the pre-evolutions (Which is good because I feel that Oshawott is overdesigned)

Fennekin's fine but... Yeah, the evolutions I didn't care for whatsoever. Delphox is probably my second least favorite Pokemon after Gloom. I have my issues with Greninja's design too, I wish they'd stuck with the bubble scarf thing rather than trading it for using it's tongue as a scarf which I think is still pretty stupid. But Greninja is pretty much the only useful starter from gen 6 and I still like the frogginess. Being in Smash doesn't hurt either.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I don't love Empoleon, but I like it more than the other gen four starters :/

As for Greninja, his tongue is actually the reason I chose him, I like it in a wacky way. It can create some funny situations.

Last edited:

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I actually love Greninja's tongue-scarf concept, and I always thought Empoleon's beak-CROWN was awesome.
This round's having more Pokemon discussion than Pokemon stages :c This was supposed to be really popular :c

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Another out there idea:
Gengar's Graveyard
Game of Origin: Pokemon Pinball
Stage Layout:

Description: Gengar's Graveyard is fixed shape stage, in stark contrast to my recent transforming, transitioning and warping creations, as well as almost every existing pokemon locale. This stage is both wide and tall, with blast zones present at the bottom and sides but not at the top. Instead, a ceiling of spikes is featured that will damage players (about 10%) and rebound them at high velocity, should they manage to reach it.
The central area is a hole that serves as an additional access point to the bottom blast zone, breaking up the stage into two inclined platforms. These have small gravestones at each far side, helping to prevent easy knockoffs and a similar situation occurs with the flippers found at the inner edges.
Said flippers glow with a dark purple energy, hinting at their possession by the stage's malevolent spirit who will activate them if anyone gets in range. These do no damage but will launch any player they connect with into the spiked ceiling with high knockback, scaling with percent like any other hit. Touching the flippers also triggers a menacing ghost cackle to occur.
So you'll want to knock your opponent into the ceiling as much as possible, right? Probably no, actually. See those Ghastlys just below the ceiling, they also have a role in the way the stage plays. They will randomly float on and off the screen along their horizontal line and they will die if touched. Kill five Ghastlys and you're in trouble. Any remaining once will suddenly evolve into Haunters before hurrying off screen in a panic. Here come their master!
Gengar first appears as a hovering grin with glowing red eyes, then his body fades in. Now atleast partially corporeal, he falls a very short distance and lands with one foot on each flipper, causing an earthquake that shakes the whole stage, briefly stunning any players on the ground. He is a stage boss but not a randomly occurring one.
Gengar, like any other boss, has a large amount of HP but he is even harder to kill than most. Physical attacks will pass straight through him, meaning only projectiles such as starbits, lasers, cutter waves, charge shots and bombs (not arrows, fire, light or otherwise) can hurt him. Left to his own devices, Gengar will stick around for a full minute but, even should you take away all his HP, Gengar will not die. Instead he will simply fade away and possess the stage again. This means no OP explosion atleast.
That's right, Gengar is the one controlling the flippers, meaning that they are entirely inactive once he is summoned but, like the Ghastlys, will reawaken when he leaves play.
He also experiences no hitstun. Ever.
As for Gengar himself, he will occasionally jump and retrigger that earthquake but will not directly attack players. Instead he will simply follow them around the stage and do massive damage and knockback whenever he makes contact with a hurtbox. This is roughly equivalent in scale to Little Mac's Knockout Punch but will usually be horizontal (unless he connects with the top of his head) and so will rarely KO at low percents, instead simply bouncing players off the inclined stage and/or the gravestones. At high percents he can even hit people into the ceiling and combo them when they come back down.
As for shields, contact with them will cause a shield break but also cause Gengar to move away from the player who used it until they leave the helpless state.
Finally, note the position of the ledges. They are below the graves, meaning that players can recover short of the stage and will have some degree of shielding as they hang but also that rolling back on is impossible and that they will eventually have to recover onto the stage.

Overview: This is a wild one! There are several gimmicks to this stage but only one of them is truly overpowering and it is interesting how it will affect play. You see, competitive types will be disinclined towards star KOing on such a tall stage anyway and will know how to juggle foes over the flippers, meaning that Gengar will rarely appear in tournament play, rendering the stage a potential counterpick as non of its other oddities are banworthy. In casual play, however, the chaos will really come through. With ceiling bounces being a fun and dramatic tactic, party gamers will be killing off those Ghastlys in no time.
In the end, everyone gets what they want, or atleast something close to it.

Unlockable: Yes

300 deaths among all human players and all modes.

Music:
Main: Gengar in the Graveyard (Pokemon Pinball)
Alt: Lavender Town Beta* (Pokemon Green)

*Reported suicides resulting from this track are a myth. When played on a Gameboy, this track can have disorientating effects that result in dizziness or nausea but the effect is not present in rips like the one here since it results directly from the Gameboy speakers' inability to handle the pitch correctly. That said, it is quite disturbing, listen at your own risk.

Last edited:

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
Nooooo, not Pokemon! I could potentially rock a Pokemon round for the song contest thread, but a 3D Pokemon stage is beyond me. I'm DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED! :p

Really, though, the only actual obstacle in my way for coming up with a stage beyond Pokemon games not inherently lending itself well for Smash Bros stage inspiration is that we already have Prism Tower for a 3DS Pokemon stage. Well, that and "to spinoff or not to spinoff?

That said, Good luck for everyone even if I can't pull one together.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I don't love Empoleon, but I like it more than the other gen four starters :/

As for Greninja, his tongue is actually the reason I chose him, I like it in a wacky way. It can create some funny situations.
B-but Torterra is totes the best! My second favorite after the Bulbasaur line. :(

Infernape's okay, I guess. I don't have an opinion really either way, though I chose him in my first Pearl run.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I tend to dislike starters that can't keep a consistent, natural development of concept throughout their evolutionary line. For example, Samurott (my least favorite starter ever). It completely changes what animal it is at the last second, going from an otter to a sea lion that looks nothing like a sea lion; moves from two-legged to four-legged (despite bipedalism being more conducive to the samurai concept it's supposed to have); and overall looks nothing like either Dewott or Oshawott. Some people may find that fun because it was so out of left field, but I just think it's disorderly and uninspired.

Another example is Delphox. I liked how they had that cute, Halloween witch look going on with Braixen; it was really unique. They should've taken it further instead of doing a 180 and going in the only vaguely related oracle/mage direction.

Anyway, great stages so far! Can't wait to see more.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
Speaking of Dewott, me and him are total bros. He's the only Pokemon I ever intentionally kept under-evolved cause he looks so cool and I didn't care for Samurott (I did get a spare Samurott from a friend, though), and he completely solo'd Drayden, Shantal, Grimsley, Alder AND Cynthia, so he's pretty boss.

In fact, I was kinda pulling for him to be the new Water Mon in Pokemon Trainer's team...before he got all but disconfirmed. :c

Last edited:
Top Bottom