• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I wonder if they will create separate boards for the characters that get confirmed at E3 2013?
That would be an ideal way to organize things, but we'll have to wait and see. One thing for sure, depending on the scenarios presented, expect me to be the head honcho for ether Kid Icarus stuff or the Takamaru or Dillon thread.

The long war is finally coming to an end. I am really crossing my fingers Ridley is among the first newcomers confirmed. Been waiting WAY TOO LONG for him to be playable.
Won't be a drama queen about it, but the character I've wanted among the newcomers is Takamaru.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Maan, I'm glad Nintendo mostly tries to stay with making videogames foremostly compared to Microsoft... these are the guys where Rare was sold to folks.

D

Deleted member

It restricts used game.

But still, seriously? Part of the fun of buying games is to be able to buy games from the past and what about the future generations that will never be able to buy Xbox 1's games new due to being born too late? Should they be forced to pay extra when there's no way to buy it new?

I wasn't planning on getting a Xbox 1, but this solidifies it. I kind of hope the console fails now so that this practice will stop before it becomes too common.

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
I actually welcome a character like Ridley with open arms.
Who doesn't want to play as a dragon? Plus Metroid having two reps is perfect in my eyes.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Those people know something about videogames. Maybe not much, but something. M$ clearly doesn't care about them.
Usually when a new system launches, who buys it? Definitely not the family of 4 that occasionally plays games. Usually it is the Xbox faithful that will buy the system at it's initial cost. The family of 4 will possibly buy it later at a reduced price after being swayed by word of mouth. If these initial Trojan-horse faithfuls are are jumping ship to PS4, and to a lesser extent WiiU (if not both), then Xbox1 is gonna have a pretty rough time. Even Adam Sessler (say what want about the dude) has been around for quite a while and knows quite a ton about games says that there is much to be desired.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
As long as you type like a 4th grader hyped on caffeine and have random moments where you type like a crack addict just learning to type, you will never fit in.
Yeah, you and your nose won't fit in.

But on an unrelated note, yay! Tri's back!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't know, I think there "Too high" heels are about the right size

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
It restricts used game.

But still, seriously? Part of the fun of buying games is to be able to buy games from the past and what about the future generations that will never be able to buy Xbox 1's games new due to being born too late? Should they be forced to pay extra when there's no way to buy it new?

I wasn't planning on getting a Xbox 1, but this solidifies it. I kind of hope the console fails now so that this practice will stop before it becomes too common.
It also restricts used consoles as well. (it's towards the end)
http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/05/21/the-xbox-ones-launch-titles-xbox-one-reveal

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
It restricts used game.

Do it through questionable means like I did for Earthbound?

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
Pretty sure the general conscientious here is that everyone dislikes Microsoft's new Xbox. Right?
I hope they have a hilarious yet hard to watch presentation again at E3 this year.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
But on an unrelated note, yay! Tri's back!
Technically I was only gone/lurking for about 3 days, though it could have been much longer. Am still doing testing on my computer to see what was wrong, for all I know once I turn it off it'll start acting up again. Either way McDonalds is obviously the best place to take your computer to to get fixed. :laugh:

On an unrelated note, I just got my copy of Uprising's Official Soundtrack in the mail today. Has a lot of cool concept art, some Sakurai talk, and it came with some AR cards, including one exclusive card that I don't think is available in the US. Honestly the most work I've ever seen Nintendo put into a soundtrack, bar maybe FE13.

D

Deleted member

Hmm, anyone have any sources on WHO the Bayonetta IP belongs to?

Doing a bit of reading and it doesn't seem to be SEGA's at all. It actually seems to belong to PG.

SEGA just got a contract for the 1st two games, meaning they completely own Bayonetta 1, and partially own Bayonetta 2, the other half being Nintendo's, hence why the SEGA logo is in the Bayo2 trailer, but the whole IP seems to belong to PG, not SEGA.

Similar to how Mass Effect 1 belongs to M$, but the Mass Effect IP belongs to Bioware/EA.

So what's the story on the Big N and PG? Is PG a 2nd party dev like Rare was? Or are they totally 3rd party?

This whole Bayonetta deal is such a big gray area its downright confusing...

D

Deleted member

It also restricts used consoles as well. (it's towards the end)
http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/05/21/the-xbox-ones-launch-titles-xbox-one-reveal
Didn't catch the reference, but if that's true, then I need to tell my brother to not get the system.
Do it through questionable means like I did for Earthbound?
And that's really the problem. If more people are going to resort to more questionable means to get the games they want, then that's an indication that Microsoft is doing something seriously wrong here. Lots of people already pirate and this move will only encourage more piracy in the long run.

It's a lose-lose situation going on here.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I think it's one of the best VG soundtracks ever made actually. So much greatness. It's just... mmmh. Magnifico.

KIU should be golden standard on how to make a great 3DS-game. Gotta yet find one like that game...

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Hmm, anyone have any sources on WHO the Bayonetta IP belongs to?

Doing a bit of reading and it doesn't seem to be SEGA's at all. It actually seems to belong to PG.

SEGA just got a contract for the 1st two games, meaning they completely own Bayonetta 1, and partially own Bayonetta 2, the other half being Nintendo's, hence why the SEGA logo is in the Bayo2 trailer, but the whole IP seems to belong to PG, not SEGA.

Similar to how Mass Effect 1 belongs to M$, but the Mass Effect IP belongs to Bioware/EA.

So what's the story on the Big N and PG? Is PG a 2nd party dev like Rare was? Or are they totally 3rd party?

This whole Bayonetta deal is such a big gray area its downright confusing...
Platinum the Trinity is a third party developer. I do hope though they become Nintendo property as they seem like they'd be good for the Nintendo culture.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Honestly, it sounds like all three consoles took a step back this generation. Sure they increased in graphics but some there was some stupid decisions by all three on each console.

Honestly, why not make them backwards compatible? It is easy to do and pleases the fans as well as increases the library for the system.

D

Deleted member

Platinum the Trinity is a third party developer. I do hope though they become Nintendo property as they seem like they'd be good for the Nintendo culture.
Then who was the new 2nd party dev Ninty got?

Was it Monolith Soft?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Honestly, it sounds like all three consoles took a step back this generation. Sure they increased in graphics but some there was some stupid decisions by all three on each console.

Honestly, why not make them backwards compatible? It is easy to do and pleases the fans as well as increases the library for the system.
Because it requires you to essentially put in an old gen console to read the old discs. Sony has said their console will not natively read content from the PS3 and PS2, but emulation is definitely a possibility. They might be keeping that ambiguous to prevent making commitments so soon.

Was it Monolith Soft?
They and Retro are the most recent studio aquisitions if I recall. Though it looks like Monolith can still make games for other companies as seen with Project X Zone.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Judging by some of the comments on Microsoft's reveal conference was bad and they focused on less games yet again, I'm not surprised really after their last 2 "gaming" conferences.

The hype and aftermath on GAF is kinda funny though.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
As I said earlier, I think this really reflects the differences between Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo each more than any other console generation.

D

Deleted member

How is the WiiU a step backward from the travesty known as the Wii? It's an improvement in every way.

The tablet controller not only is comfy as ****, but it's a much better gimmick than stupid motion controls, I welcome it with open arms, all it needs is games so I actually have the desire to buy one. Not to mention it's the only of the 3 new consoles to have backwards compatability.

Also, to answer your Q of how come all consoles don't have backwards compatability, it's because to do that, you gotta do one of two things. Stick the old console(s) in there alongside the new one and mesh them together into one so they work (which is expensive as ****). Make an emulator on the console that can play the old games which is also complex and expensive.

Reason being is because all consoles have different architectures especially from generation to generation, so it's not as simple as just "not taking it out" it's a HUGE ****ing effort, cost and investment for something that's more of a niche thing really. Stop and think, does Windows 7 let you play Win95 games? Last I heard you gotta create this HUGE ****ing loophole to get it to work, and Windows is much more open software than console OS (why is it closed OS, to avoid the crash of 85 again).

Stop being so entitled.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Was it Monolith Soft?
The most recent developers Nintendo has gotten are Monolith and Good-Feel, but Monolith is 1st party, and Good-Feel was already like five years ago.

They have a lot of partnerships, like with Platinum, Mistwalker, Tose, Next Level, Treasure, etc. Maybe you're thinking of one of those?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So by default Sony has won E3. Maybe Nintendo's backing out was premature. Eh, just show some REAL games and the WiiU will be fine.

volbound1700

Smash Master
How is the WiiU a step backward from the travesty known as the Wii? It's an improvement in every way.

The tablet controller not only is comfy as ****, but it's a much better gimmick than stupid motion controls, I welcome it with open arms, all it needs is games so I actually have the desire to buy one. Not to mention it's the only of the 3 new consoles to have backwards compatability.

Also, to answer your Q of how come all consoles don't have backwards compatability, it's because to do that, you gotta do one of two things. Stick the old console(s) in there alongside the new one and mesh them together into one so they work (which is expensive as ****). Make an emulator on the console that can play the old games which is also complex and expensive.

Reason being is because all consoles have different architectures especially from generation to generation, so it's not as simple as just "not taking it out" it's a HUGE ****ing effort, cost and investment for something that's more of a niche thing really. Stop and think, does Windows 7 let you play Win95 games? Last I heard you gotta create this HUGE ****ing loophole to get it to work, and Windows is much more open software than console OS (why is it closed OS, to avoid the crash of 85 again).

Stop being so entitled.
Entitled? I have the older systems so I don't need it. It is called marketing sense. Also the Wii was unique and became the best selling Nintendo system since the NES days. The problem is Nintendo abandoned Wii too early. So much more you could do with motion controls. (I thought a Mario game using the Wii Board in a manner similar to the Obstacle Course on Wii Fit would have been a great idea and show off the motion controls for example).

None of the three systems have done anything to make me want to buy the consoles (or anyone else). I remember when the Wii came out, I wanted to get it and got it a year after its release during the Christmas rush off Ebay (less than retail too, I was proud of that). The Wii generated hype (all you have to do is see Cartman's reaction on Southpark about it lol). Wii U hasn't generated that hype.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
What language is that? Because in most languages you need to use the double equals(==) for comparisons.
It's pseudo-bootleg code. :grin:
Also, I do know Visual Basics don't use (==) when comparing to variables. At least that was case back in 2009 when I last touched the program.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I dont' see why people are down on the Wii here, it was the best system, IMO, since at least the N64 perhaps even the NES. It was the #1 console in the market and won that generation. Nintendo hadn't held that place until SNES and NES days.

Also every critic stated that the times Nintendo struggle was the Gamecube era. I would also argue Nintendo's fall began with the N64 (even thought it had so many great games) because N64 sat in the shadow of Playstation during that era (which makes me want to rank Wii over even the N64 despite its revolutionary design and amazing classic games).

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I seriousy dont get Why some PeePz think the N64 was a bad console.....seriously....
The N64 didn't have a whole lot of third party support, so that's one big problem. Also, the controller was terrible.

Edit: Not that I think the system is bad myself.

volbound1700

Smash Master
N64 was a good console but it just sat in the shadow of PS1. It did not reach the height in sales or market share that NES, SNES, and Wii achieved.

Another point on the strength of the Wii. Before the Wii, most casual people that were not gamers thought of the NES when you said the word Nintendo. However, now people often think of the Wii. IMO, Wii was Nintendo's biggest console since the original NES/Famicon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom