• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Super Mario Galaxy

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Published by: Nintendo
Developed by: Nintendo
System: Wii
Genre: Platformer
Release date: November 12 US

E3 2007 trailer: http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/12985

The ultimate Nintendo hero is taking the ultimate step ... out into space. Join Mario as he ushers in a new era of video games, defying gravity across all the planets in the galaxy.

Shake, tilt and point! Mario takes advantage of all the unique aspects of the Wii Remote and Nunchuk controller, unleashing new moves as players shake the controller and even point at and drag items with the pointer.

Mario essentially defined the 3-D platforming genre with Super Mario® 64, and this game proves once again that he is king. Players perform mind-bending, low- gravity jumps across wild alien terrain as they experience platforming for a new generation.

Game storyline: When some creature escapes into space with Princess Peach, Mario gives chase, exploring bizarre planets all across the galaxy.

Characters: Mario, Peach and enemies new and old.

How to progress through the game: Players run, jump and battle enemies as they explore all the planets in the galaxy. Since this game makes full use of all the features of the Wii Remote, players have to do all kinds of things to succeed: pressing buttons, swinging the Wii Remote and the Nunchuk, and even pointing at and dragging things with the pointer.

Special powers/weapons/moves/features: Since he's in space, Mario can perform mind- bending jumps unlike anything he's done before. He'll also have a wealth of new moves that are all based around tilting, pointing and shaking the Wii Remote.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I was thinking the same thing. But according to the story and information so far it looks like it will take place entirely in space. The game has been confirmed as "two player ready". I think you may be able to play the main game with two players rather than just mini games. I just hope player two is Luigi and not some nameless character no one cares for.

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master

It looks like this is the first real screenshot of sorts. Mario looks pretty cool here...a lot of the cartoony looking games that are announced for the Wii can afford to be a bit higher quality in their graphics...

Flok

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah, finally the new Mario game revealed! The concept looks good, but flying and jumping around space all the time? It could happen, but maybe they will let Mario jump into the planets he faces as he searches for Peach.

I will definately buy this game as soon as possible.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
That's the first screenshot I've seen for the Wii that doesn't look like it could be done on the Gamecube. The lightning effects in that screenshot look gorgeous.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Graphically speaking, Super Mario was the best looking wii game at E3.

Gamespot has some hands on impressions.

While it wasn't shown in detail at Nintendo's press conference, there is a pretty cool playable demo of the tentatively-titled Super Mario Galaxy here at E3. We were able to quickly get a feel for the controls and bounce from planet to planet, butt stomping goombas and swinging our arms at everything in our path.

The Mario control scheme uses both the Wii's remote and the nunchuk attachment. You use the A button on the remote to jump, and you can also point it at the screen, which causes a star-shaped reticule to appear. You can hit the B trigger on the bottom of the remote while pointing at objects to interact with them. At the start you can use this to ring a bell and cause collectable music notes to appear, and you also use this method to collect star shards. In your left hand, the nunchuk's analog stick is used to move Mario. The two trigger buttons on it are used to center the camera and to duck or butt stomp. Finally, shaking either controller will cause Mario to spin around with his arms outstretched. This Crash Bandicoot-like move serves as an attack, and if you use it in mid-air, you'll get a little extra lift from a jump.

The gameplay consists of getting from the start of the level to the finish. But along the way you'll have to blast off from one tiny sphere to the next. These mini-planets would only take you a few seconds to run a complete circle around, and some of them have tasks that you must complete before you can move on, like eliminating a specific enemy or knocking all of the coconuts off of the surface. You aren't given any indication about what you need to do, but in this demo, the whole thing seemed quite intuitive. Completing a task causes a star icon to appear, which you can jump into and shake the controller to charge up and blast off to the next location.

The demo ends with a boss fight against a giant fiery squid-like creature that relaxes in a large pool of lava. You can run around the outer ring of this pool. The squid fires flaming balls at you that you can swat back at your enemy by pulling off the spin move. He'll bat it back, but after a few volleys, he gets hit. After a couple of hits, he's bested and a star appears. Collecting that star ends the level, and the demo.

Visually, this is probably one of the more impressive-looking Wii games on display. Mario looks great, and the environment seems expansive, even though you're basically blasting from rock to rock along a set path. The camera got a little disorienting in some spots, showing the action from a sideways or upside down perspective, depending on which way you run on some of the smaller planets.

With its intuitive control, sharp visuals, and of course, the Mario name, Super Mario Galaxy is definitely going to be a game to watch for.
IGN has four videos showcasing the game. http://media.revolution.ign.com/media/748/748588/vids_1.html

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Has there been any mention if this is "Super Mario 128?"

Regardless, it looks awesome. Definitely will pick it up day one with the Wii.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
supermariopro101 said:
I think they substituted New Super Mario Bros. for Super Mario 128
wtf, no.....people dont substitute console games for handhelds. it's most likely that Super Mario 128 will be a later installment or this game itself substituted it like how Wind Waker substituted the first planned realistic Zelda game

Some1

Smash Cadet
I just saw that trailer today at school showing someone playing, it looked incredible but from what I saw mario was on very small planet. Could it be a moon, will you be able to play on moons?

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
No surprises. It would have actually surprised me more if both Twilight Princess and Galaxy were ready for launch.

Here's hoping Brawl comes out within the first six months as well. :p

Chill

Red
BRoomer
If this misses launch date Nintendo is a failure. No, I don't mean the Wii will fail. But c'mon how can you be working on this game for years and still miss launch? This game needs to be ready at launch. No SSBB or Mario? What else is going to be available?

Revolutions

BRoomer
BRoomer
these fields are optional but will enhance your on
^I like the idea of trying to "impede Mario's progress" while my friend is playing. I like it a lot.

Chill said:
What else is going to be available?
There's this IP Nintendo has been developing lately. Maybe you've heard of it? It's called Zelda.

I don't mind waiting because there's no way I could afford this much all at launch anyway.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Revolutions said:
There's this IP Nintendo has been developing lately. Maybe you've heard of it? It's called Zelda.

I don't mind waiting because there's no way I could afford this much all at launch anyway.
What you mean the gamecube game? Give me a break.

I can afford to buy a few games at launch so I do mind waiting.

bball2012

BRoomer
BRoomer
Fantastic concept. Mario in space means more varied levels, more mindbending acrobatics, more stupidly clever ways to use a 3D space controller to control 3D space. This one's gonna be special. Like, Mario 64 special.

Bet on it.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
It was posted here first. That doesn't even matter though. The point of these topics is to have a place to center discussion on a single game or topic. Instead of "omgsonycopiedmiyamotogaveaspeechlookatthismariotrailermp3mightbereleasedinjulyomgsonycopied".

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Chill, if only more people realized that. I don't see why they like putting EVERY bit of information slightly relating to the Wii in that topic. It really is just to discuss the system, and maybe be like "zomg mario galaxy and all the other fall titles look great!" but man you guys talk about some boring stuff in there.

Oh and the new trailer I saw from GDC looked fantastic, though I think the camera might give me a headache.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Yeah, camera control is going to worry me. It's reminding me way too much like the space levels in Sonic Adventure 2. Very frustrating.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
Yeah, camera control is going to worry me. It's reminding me way too much like the space levels in Sonic Adventure 2. Very frustrating.
It does seem dizzying, but at least the camera doesn't zoom way in so you can't see anything around you ie. Sonic Secret Rings.

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
Okay, so I skimmed, but I'm pretty sure nobody mentioned the November 12th release date (my birthday, actually). Personally, I don't know if I'm going to pick up Metroid Prime 3, so I'm not sure what's going to keep me occupided until then.

As far as the new suits go, I must say I am fairly impressed. That is an element I felt has been lacking in the Mario universe for quite some time. Anyone else keeping their fingers crossed for the return of the Tanooki (sp?) and Hammer Bros. suits from Super Mario Bros. 3? While we're at it, the Kuribo (sp?) Shoe? Yes, I know these are pipe dreams, but I'm stickin to them.

Anyhow, any thoughts on what exactly are the benefits of the Boo outfit?

Andy

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Hmm? Do we have to rescue two now? I guess not according to the article, but it’s not clarifying what this new princess is doing. Maybe she just hands out powerups, like that nifty new bee suit, or the Boo thing.

And Nintendo really should lay of the blonde princess thing. :p

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
That reminds me of the **** haunted house stage in Sunshine.

I never did beat that game...

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
No no no. I t wasn't frightening, I just hated it because it was hard, and I never got all the shine sprites in there.

Dead Wire

Smash Cadet
I live in a place called socorro which in spanish
Okay, so I skimmed, but I'm pretty sure nobody mentioned the November 12th release date (my birthday, actually). Personally, I don't know if I'm going to pick up Metroid Prime 3, so I'm not sure what's going to keep me occupided until then.

As far as the new suits go, I must say I am fairly impressed. That is an element I felt has been lacking in the Mario universe for quite some time. Anyone else keeping their fingers crossed for the return of the Tanooki (sp?) and Hammer Bros. suits from Super Mario Bros. 3? While we're at it, the Kuribo (sp?) Shoe? Yes, I know these are pipe dreams, but I'm stickin to them.

Anyhow, any thoughts on what exactly are the benefits of the Boo outfit?

Andy
On my Birthday Transformers for Wii came out you know June 26 and im a giant Transformers fan and my brother's Birthday Aug 28 hes going to get Metroid Prime 3 and I already know it comes on the 27

angel551

Smash Cadet
I think Mario Galaxy looks unique, and different from the other Mario games.

Top Bottom