• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Super Mario Galaxy

MDupont

Smash Cadet
Does anoyone know if you can play this game with a Classic Controller, or does it have to be with the WiiMote?

Kaento

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty excited about this game. the camera angles look interesting.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Luigi has recently been confirmed for SMG. With that in mind, suppose that Luigi was playable. Do you think he would have uniqueness about him that separates him from Mario to a greater degree (e.g. green fire -> lightning, aerial spin w/ arms-> leg twister)?

Discuss.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I'm sure it's old news, but some game stores will be getting actual copies of the game to put on display in the very near future. Not a demo, but the actual final version of the game! Check your local stores...

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I'm pretty excited about this game. the camera angles look interesting.
I read that becasue the wii controller lacks a second analog stick you cannot control the camera at all. From what I've seen it doesn't look a problem though.

The game is coming out in just a few weeks so get used to using those spoiler tags.

Or else.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
So, has anyone gone to their local Gamestop/EBgames to see if they have the demo set up? I checked tone near me, and they told me they should get a copy some time soon...

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
I read that becasue the wii controller lacks a second analog stick you cannot control the camera at all. From what I've seen it doesn't look a problem though.
Chill, "can not" is two words. >: (

I played a short demo at GameStop when I bought my copy of Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations. Because of the size/structure of the planets it really shouldn't be a problem. The only time I wished I could change it was when I was walking vertically upward.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Chill, "can not" is two words. >: (.
From a little thing called the dictionary:

—Usage note Cannot is sometimes also spelled can not. The one-word spelling is by far the more common: Interest rates simply cannot continue at their present level. The contraction can't is most common in speech and informal writing.

mario-man

Smash Lord
WAZZUP ML1209!!! haha nice ta see ya

Me too btw. This game is gonna kick mass butt!!!

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Just played the demo at gamestop and got in a good hour or so of playing. Overall, I say the game is definitely fun to play. If you've watched any of the Mario Galaxy vids, then you should find this mini-review spoiler-free. If you feel the need to, just avoid reading what's ahead altogether.

You know what the story is. Peach gets kidnapped by Bowser, so Mario has to rescue her once again. I didn't get to see the intro, since someone already started playing, but I'm sure you can find vids of the opening cinema on youtube.

The controls really aren't that hard once you practice a little. The Spin Attack, which is done by shaking the Remote, will be the most used move Mario has since you'll use it to break open objects, defeat enemies, solve puzzles, and use stars that launch you around galaxies. A majority of Mario's moves and attacks are from the 64 version, and you can wall jump using the same method in New Super Mario Bros. You can adjust the camera angle if you want to explore something, but this wasn't a huge problem for the most part. The camera tended to correct itself if something obstructed your view of Mario.

You travel to each galaxy looking for stars hidden in each galaxy. Once you earn enough stars, you can unlock a new galaxy similar to how Mario 64's worlds were unlocked. But don't forget to finish collecting all the stars from the galaxy before you start playing on the new one! Stars aren't the only thing you'll be collecting. You'll also be collecting Star Bits, those crystal-looking things that function sort of like the games currency. Collect enough and you get a 1-up! These Star Bits can also be used to stun enemies, uncover secrets, or can even be traded for some help from your allies. Be sure to collect as many as you can, because you'll be using them both inside galaxies and in the main lobby area. Coins aren't as plentiful in this game, and the only purpose they seem to have is to help recover health or to be used for high scores. I'm certain that you will get something for collecting enough of them (probably 50 or maybe 100?), but there honestly doesn't seem to be enough to collect that many. An interesting note is that depending on how you defeat an enemy, you'll earn either a coin or some Star Bits.

You'll encounter lots of enemies who stand in Mario's way. Some are familiar faces, such as the Goomba, while others are brand new to the Mario universe. Some classic enemies even have a new twist to them! And of course, expect lots of boss fights. Whatever the case may be, your trip through the galaxy isn't going to be all fun and games.

The sound effects in this game are cartoony, as expected. The graphics aren't too bad either, and you'll notice some detail as you fly around galaxies.

Overall, definitely worth trying if your Gamestop has it at the demo station. Once the game is released, definitely pick up a copy so that you can start saving the galaxies, one star at a time. :)

mario-man

Smash Lord
don't give us an out sir!!!

DO NOT RENT THIS GAME!!!! BUY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Well, I went back, and it seems like ALL of Mario's moves from Mario 64 are in it, except for one or two or the moves like punch and trip. Someone actually tried going through that game as fast as possible to unlock as many galaxies as possible, but I doubt he'll finish in time. The Gamestop managers are supposed to delete that game saves at the end of the day, so yeah, nobody should be able to finish the game and release spoilers.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
No Wi-Fi, and co-op just lets the second player shoot Star Bits and hold enemies or Mario.

Sir James

The Doctor
I got a chance to play the demo at Gamestop today. I only played for about 15 minutes or so to avoid spoiling the fun for when I get the game on November 12. I really enjoyed the game, but I was slightly disappointed at the fact that you can't do the punch-punch-kick combo. All Mario does for an offensive attack is the Tornado Spin. Despite the very few shortcomings, the game is very fun and it looks great in 480p.

Can't wait to pick up my copy in a few weeks.

mario-man

Smash Lord
Like you said dude, that IS a VERY MINOR complaint!! Who actually does the punch punch kick combo anyway?? I know I don''t.

mario-man

Smash Lord
How would you use it for wifi??I'm just really curious as to why you guys keep bringing up wifi on prolly the greatest SINGLE player game ever!!

Sir James

The Doctor
How would you use it for wifi??I'm just really curious as to why you guys keep bringing up wifi on prolly the greatest SINGLE player game ever!!
It's not WiFi, but there is a Co-Op 2 player mode. The second player moves their cursor around to block and stun enemies to help Player 1 (the one who controls Mario).

mario-man

Smash Lord
DUHH DUDE!!! I know that!!! I'm just stunned that there are other people who keep bringing up wifi for a SINGLE player game!! It's amazing to me!! I know about the second wii-mote thing, but ultimately, this is a SINGLE player game!! Yet people keep bringing up wifi!! WTC pplz

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Does everyone hate Mario now or something? Or is it just that this isn't a story heavy game so there's nothing to speculate on?

Chill

Red
BRoomer
looks like regurgitated garbage.
Ouch.

I don't know if that was sarcasm or not but I'm going to at least rent it. It's true that Sunshine wasn't everything Nintendo made it out to be but Galaxy looks like it's going in a different ,more fun, direction.

iMichael

Smash Lord
This game is gonna be too epic!! its a tie between Brawl and Galaxy to me....they are the same

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Hmm, some people in Japan have already completed the main quest, but no one has gotten all 120 stars yet. I think the general agreement is that it takes about 7-8 hours to beat the game with the minimum number of stars, which is
. Getting the rest of the stars probably doubles the amount of time. Of course, most people will probably take much longer.

Top Bottom