• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Super Mario Galaxy

WaffleGuyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Well, yeah, I guess one of it's faults is the difficulty. A lot of the stars a breeze. But I thought the controls were great, for the most part. Except the ball rolling parts. I don't have a steady hand, so you can imagine that those were kinda hard for me.

CivicSmash

Smash Apprentice
look im not concerned with the difficulty factor nearly as much as just level design. The levels in mario 64 had so much depth and creativity built into them. The levels in galaxy are so plain and repetitive, and linear. Not to mention overall smaller spaces to go and explore. The worlds in mario 64 were all unique and the layouts were all so much different. Tiny- huge island, rainbow ride, tick tock clock,dire dire docks, tall tall mountain, whomps fortress, shifting sand land. Wow, what incredible level design. The levels seem so generic and thrown together for the sake of it in galaxy. I don't think that one level in the game is on par with mario 64.
As much as it breaks my heart to say this, I feel obligated to tell the truth being a longtime fanboy. Playing nintendo games since about the release of super mario brothers 3 to the present, the two best moments ever period were when A Link to The Past came out and when Mario 64 came out. Maybe its just nostalgia but man that was good times and great games. Gaming at its finest, if i hadnt experienced those two games upon release I wouldnt be as devoted to nintendo as i am now for sure. And of course a silly little game called Super Smash Bros. I hope that they can fix the quality of there games in the future. Otherwise I might have to join the darkside and subscribe to X-Box Live. Or be forced to spend out my days in liberty city stealing, killing, doing drugs, and engaging in sexual acts. Shigeru Miyamoto is god. People need to accept this. Except for his only mishap of super mario galaxy, HIS ONLY ONE!!!!!! He represents videogames in their prime, they will never be better in all of videogame history.

XACE-K

Smash Master
look im not concerned with the difficulty factor nearly as much as just level design. The levels in mario 64 had so much depth and creativity built into them. The levels in galaxy are so plain and repetitive, and linear. Not to mention overall smaller spaces to go and explore. The worlds in mario 64 were all unique and the layouts were all so much different. Tiny- huge island, rainbow ride, tick tock clock,dire dire docks, tall tall mountain, whomps fortress, shifting sand land. Wow, what incredible level design. The levels seem so generic and thrown together for the sake of it in galaxy. I don't think that one level in the game is on par with mario 64.
That was the best thing about Mario 64 and Galaxy lacked that but I still thought Galaxy was a good game.

iMichael

Smash Lord
Galaxy was a good game...heck it was a great game. It was something NEW....I do agree with CivicSmash about Mario 64's levels having more depth. The levels in Mario 64 were freaking huge....to name a few....bob omb battlefield, shifting sand land and cool cool mountain.

blazer787

Smash Journeyman
Wow. What a horrible game. I expected this game to be one of the best of all time, better than mario 64. There was so much anticipation built up inside me. How could mario in space not be awesome? Got the game, done in a few days. The level designs straight up suck. You always feel confined and like your in a linear level. The difficulty was sooooooo easy. This is the biggest video game let down of my life. i remember getting mario 64 on sep. 27, 1996. Wow, what an unprecedented, perfect game. There was so many different landscapes and interaction in mario 64. Mario 64 is about 30 to 40 times better than super mario galaxy. Ive been a nintendo player/fan since about 89. I cant put into words how let down i am with this game. This game seems like a failed experiment like mario sunshine. I cant believe that so many websites gave this game good reviews, time after time. REALLY? This game was on the borderline of enjoyable. BOOOOOOOOOOO NINTENDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it really took them like 5 years to make this crappy game? Thats funny. I am starting to have doubts in nintendo's management. All I can do is hope that the next game will be good, which it probably wont be considering the last 2 installments sucked. No mario game will ever touch mario 64. Period.
Its funny to hear that some of you actually like this POS. You must be like 15 year olds who dont know what a good game really is or can be. If you like this game, you are ********. This game took way to long to come out, and when it did it was obviously rushed. I thought nintendo's focus was on quality?Apparently not. This game is for 5 year olds. I hope that nintendo will get the mario series back on track in the future. Anyone who says this is a good game i have no respect for. I want my 50 bucks back.
after soooo long, this has given me the desire to return to this topic. this game does suck. i'm glad to see i'm not the only wii owner who could see past the MARIO title and saw this game suck compaired to mario64

Patinator

Smash Champion
Wow, PP777. Your a debater now? Congrats.

Is it wrong that I have more fun playing Galaxy than 64 and Sunshine? Anyone care to tell me I'm weird? Hmmm?

Patinator

Smash Champion
Well actually you have to post in the Debate Hall a few times to be a debater... Kind of a waste of powerz, I guess.

Galaxy>>64>>>>Sunshine. In my humble opinion.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Galaxy is a great game, but I didn't have the same experience as I did with 64.

When I played 64, I was completely blown away, it changed my whole view on gaming. I still play 64 from time to time and try speed runs, 60 stars in an hour or something like that. The game was flawless. Seriously.

Galaxy was amazing, but didn't have such an impact. I found it to be tedious after a while. It was far far far far too easy. I don't understand why it was so frign' easy. Like seriously I cannot recall one star that was remotely difficult. Remember Tick Tock Clock? That was far more challenging then any Galaxy stage. I haven't gone back to Galaxy ever since I got Luigi.

& 64 had human bob sleigh races against giant penguins. Galaxy needed more of that.

Hey Pat! Ain't seen you since the Bomberman thread

Flygon3x

Smash Cadet
Still, some levels do give a challenge like the Lava Spire Daredevil Run.

I just got Luigi last week; another 120 stars to go!

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Good times indeed.

Yeah since it was my first 3D gaming experience that probably is a major factor. But that aside, level design, difficulty and sheer enjoyment also ensure 64 is better then Galaxy in my books.

Patinator

Smash Champion
That's true, I suppose. But the non-linearness of the levels in 64 also makes in a tad harder. Which is why I haven't beaten it. Or perhaps the painful N64 controller is another reason. :p

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
That's true, I suppose. But the non-linearness of the levels in 64 also makes in a tad harder. Which is why I haven't beaten it. Or perhaps the painful N64 controller is another reason. :p
I loved the non-linear levels in 64, the one thing I'm a bit disappointing with Galaxy, is that it linear in a lot of place.

CivicSmash

Smash Apprentice
Mario 64 is the most revolutionary of revolutionary games. It was the first truly 3-D game. It is a 1000 times better than galaxy and was made 11 years earlier.

Crystallion

Smash Ace
I think comparing Galaxy to Mario 64 is like comparing Twilight Princess to Ocarina of Time. To the one side, you have the new and fresh game and to the other, there's the nostalgic "old" game that had a bigger impact due to its graphics, gameplay and freshness at the time. Of course, Mario 64 is better, it was released as one of the earliest 3D games, therefor it was revolutionary at the time. Galaxy just picked up the concept and put in refreshing twists in it and an almost completely new gameplay.

So Super Mario Galaxy doesn't suck, it's just that Mario 64 is too great in the hearts of people (which is understandable, since it's the same with me, Galaxy doesn't have the same impact on me than 64 did, but I did "wow" a lot during the game ;) )

CivicSmash

Smash Apprentice
I think comparing Galaxy to Mario 64 is like comparing Twilight Princess to Ocarina of Time. To the one side, you have the new and fresh game and to the other, there's the nostalgic "old" game that had a bigger impact due to its graphics, gameplay and freshness at the time. Of course, Mario 64 is better, it was released as one of the earliest 3D games, therefor it was revolutionary at the time. Galaxy just picked up the concept and put in refreshing twists in it and an almost completely new gameplay.

So Super Mario Galaxy doesn't suck, it's just that Mario 64 is too great in the hearts of people (which is understandable, since it's the same with me, Galaxy doesn't have the same impact on me than 64 did, but I did "wow" a lot during the game ;) )
I like Twilight Princess a lot better than Ocarina of Time. I dont think that TP has a better replay value than OoT, I'm talking the first time through. In terms of replay value I think the best zelda is A Link to the Past, and then the original.

Originally posted by ~N9NE~
"I thought the N64 pad was perfect."

Yeah it was awesome. It had the first finger joystick. It also had the first rumble pack. And the first button on the back the "z" button. Not to mention all those "c" buttons for view control and etc....The controller worked so well with those early games (Mario 64, Pilotwings 64, TUROK, Wavrrace, mortal kombat, Golden Eye, Killer Instinct Gold, Star Fox 64, diddy kong racing, San Fransisco Rush, wayne gretzkeys hockey, STAR WARS: SHADOWS OF THE EMPIRE SO COOL, Mariokart 64, Blast Corps and later games like perfect dark and BANJO-KAZOOIE which is another EXCELLENT series that rivals Mario 64 and is better than galaxy.

As we all no nintendo would further revolutionize the controller by being the first to add motion control sensitivity and a microphone inside the controller.

It was cool too i had my 64 altered to be able to play japanese games because there was a game store by my house that had japanese games. All you had to do was cut out a little part, but they had special tools to do it without melting. I was playing Mariokart 64 months before it came out in America. The japanese version came bundled with a 64 controller that was half black half grey.

Patinator

Smash Champion
About the controller, it's just the stick was, on the earliest ones (Or perhaps 1-st party only) are painful as heck if you play, say, Mario Kart.

...Wait. Wait, wait, wait. GANGSTERJUICE?! I thought you were banned a long time ago for your trolling... N9NE, you remember this nimrod? From the B-man thread.

Seems he has the banned title, but no points? WTF...

Enough from me.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
The Mario platformers of the past just haven't grabbed me. Mario 64 may have been great for its time, but I guess I spoiled it for myself by playing both N64 Zeldas first, because it seemed pretty ho-hum in comparison. Sunshine was pretty cool, but aside from the FLUDD it was more of the same.

I just got around to playing Galaxy, and I have to say that I'm very surprised. The sheer variety in level design blows me away. Rather than stick to the "Mario in Space" theme they basically just do whatever the heck they want. I've almost reached the 50 star mark, and I've yet to do the same thing twice.

Call me crazy, but I think this Miamoto guy is going places. ;)

CivicSmash

Smash Apprentice
The Mario platformers of the past just haven't grabbed me. Mario 64 may have been great for its time, but I guess I spoiled it for myself by playing both N64 Zeldas first, because it seemed pretty ho-hum in comparison. Sunshine was pretty cool, but aside from the FLUDD it was more of the same.

I just got around to playing Galaxy, and I have to say that I'm very surprised. The sheer variety in level design blows me away. Rather than stick to the "Mario in Space" theme they basically just do whatever the heck they want. I've almost reached the 50 star mark, and I've yet to do the same thing twice.

Call me crazy, but I think this Miamoto guy is going places. ;)
Mario Galaxy sucks end of story period. Thats how I feel now and forever.

Patinator

Smash Champion
Which is exactly the reason it's been called game of the decade for it's great gameplay, breathtaking graphics, and incredible music.

Even if I didn't like Galaxy, I'd still love listening to it's music. :)

Mechageo

Smash Ace
I love Galaxy, I'm well into the second half of the game. And for spoiler sake, I won't say it's name.

Top Bottom