• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Analysis & Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
While Omegas being banned is stupid, I'm pretty sure if you ask to go to an Omega, most people would be willing to go. Especially if it's one with music a lot of people like such as Gaur Plains, Palutena's Temple, Mario Galaxy, Wooly World, Wily Castle, Onett, and Windy Hill Zone.

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
There are a few differences that really seriously change things for certain characters in Omegas though. I suppose those are outliers really. Though the grass difference is real. It completely changes every character's effective ground range. That's a huge change

In the competitive scene, people are always looking for every little advantage to hold over their opponent and I really think it's just ignorance of these differences that we're not seeing them picked in play. Aside from when they're banned for copyright stuff, of course.

If someone wants to go to an Omega stage, and you don't know why, it's smart to tell them "nnnnnope." Even if they like the music only, why would you give them that advantage if you wanted to win?

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Are there any regions with regular streamed weeklies/monthlies who also have the three verboten stages legal (Skyloft, Wuhu, Kongo)? Wondering if I could see some more recent tournament footage of those stages. Having PS2 legal would also be nice, but is probably asking too much.
We run a 13-stage list here, and while it's not streamed (venue internet) we still upload the matches to my youtube channel.

Our stage list (FLSS):
- Battlefield
- FD/Omegas
- Smashville
- Town & City
- Kongo Jungle 64
- Halberd
- Lylat Cruise
- Wuhu Island
- Skyloft
- Delphino Plaza
- Castle Siege
- Pokemon Stadium 2

Last edited:

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Are there any regions with regular streamed weeklies/monthlies who also have the three verboten stages legal (Skyloft, Wuhu, Kongo)? Wondering if I could see some more recent tournament footage of those stages. Having PS2 legal would also be nice, but is probably asking too much.
I'll link you to an 8 minute match on Kongo as soon as it's uploaded. While I think the stage should be legal, the fact that games go to time so easily and it's unpopular is concerning.

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
I'll link you to an 8 minute match on Kongo as soon as it's uploaded. While I think the stage should be legal, the fact that games go to time so easily and it's unpopular is concerning.
What ruleset are you using such that you have 8 minute matches, btw? I'm not sure why people make a big deal about matches going to time on Kongo. It's not like it can be picked more than once in a set, and matches naturally take at least 5 minutes anyways (though that's usually not a problem with 6 minutes, 8 is a bigger leap). Larger blastzones means longer stocks, it's not like everyone camps on that stage by nature. That's just my two cents though

Drogmyre

Smash Rookie
What ruleset are you using such that you have 8 minute matches, btw? I'm not sure why people make a big deal about matches going to time on Kongo. It's not like it can be picked more than once in a set, and matches naturally take at least 5 minutes anyways (though that's usually not a problem with 6 minutes, 8 is a bigger leap). Larger blastzones means longer stocks, it's not like everyone camps on that stage by nature. That's just my two cents though
Probably 3 stock 8m, which is IMO better than 2s 5/6m.

19_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
19sean
3DS FC
3239-4949-6616
Probably 3 stock 8m, which is IMO better than 2s 5/6m.
I kinda think the difference between 2 stock and 3 stock changes the perspective of kongo's legality. Games will naturally be longer on Kongo jungle but 3 stock pushes it over the edge with it's blast zones being very large. I like to keep in mind that even though time outs are not uncompetitive they're not appealing to see often in a game like smash. I imagine that one stage infamous for timeouts would be banned in the case of three stocks. I'm just playing devils advocate btw.

We run a 13-stage list here, and while it's not streamed (venue internet) we still upload the matches to my youtube channel.

Our stage list (FLSS):
- Battlefield
- FD/Omegas
- Smashville
- Town & City
- Kongo Jungle 64
- Halberd
- Lylat Cruise
- Wuhu Island
- Skyloft
- Delphino Plaza
- Castle Siege
- Pokemon Stadium 2
I honestly think this is a liberal as you can get with a stage list unless you are ballsy enough to add orbital gate, mario curcit, kalos legue, and/or walkoffs.

Kongo Jungle 64, Wuhu Island, and Skyloft Imo are the stages that will most likely see more attention in the future. They have little to no problems as legal stages and only one or two things conservatives could complain about. I have heard little to little to no complaints in recent history (maybe because there not legal lol).

Kongo jungle has barrel which can be camped but all it takes is a ban on staling/barrel camping and the blast zones which is not a problem I have seen with two stock (three stock may be a different story). Wuhu has the boat which is matchup dependent, rare, and lol it's going too get patched anyway; otherwise it' a bit large a times but transformations make it temporary and there a few scattered hazards... yea Wuhu Island WILL be legalized more in the future.

Skyloft will have a tougher time, but I have faith in it. The scenery that does damage will cause some complaints but that is as simple as staying away from the stage when it is moving. The glitches involved are the reason why it has a lot of problems with legality; falling through the stage while it is landing and hitboxes clipping onto the stage while it is traveling doesn't kill the stage competitively though as it is not random. That said both glitches are very disruptive so I hope the Wednesday's patch fixes it. I really hope Antar's ladder having it legal has put it on good terms with players now.

Last edited:

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
So with another patch, I've been trying to get the Wuhu Island glitch to work, and I really can't. I was able to get it occasionally on the old version (tried right before updating to get my technique right), but now on the new update I can't get it a single time. I've tried with Lucario and Shulk/Captain Falcon and Ness and Villager/Wario. Anyone want to double check that it's actually gone?

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
So with another patch, I've been trying to get the Wuhu Island glitch to work, and I really can't. I was able to get it occasionally on the old version (tried right before updating to get my technique right), but now on the new update I can't get it a single time. I've tried with Lucario and Shulk/Captain Falcon and Ness and Villager/Wario. Anyone want to double check that it's actually gone?

Excellent thing to test, I would like to hear someone confirming that for sure.

Other things to check this patch:
-How exactly do the Lylat and Lylat Omega ledges guide recoveries
-Does the guiding ledges only work on certain tilt angles on Lylat Cruise?
-Does the top on Lylat still cancel moves in certain places?
-Ceiling Glitch on Mario Kart 8
-other things I've obviously forgot

I'd check them myself and ask people to confirm from there, but I don't own a WiiU, sorry guys.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Excellent thing to test, I would like to hear someone confirming that for sure.

Other things to check this patch:
-How exactly do the Lylat and Lylat Omega ledges guide recoveries
-Does the guiding ledges only work on certain tilt angles on Lylat Cruise?
-Does the top on Lylat still cancel moves in certain places?
-Ceiling Glitch on Mario Kart 8
-other things I've obviously forgot

I'd check them myself and ask people to confirm from there, but I don't own a WiiU, sorry guys.
Way ahead of you.

1. It works just like similar generous ledges such as Norfair Omega.
2. If the stage tilts enough to turn the angle into a level surface, you'll crash into it like the old Lylat. Since it depends on the tilting, it's a very transient thing (and you still need to pay attention in general) but the rest of the time it's much easier. Lylat Omega doesn't tilt and thus is more or less identical to Norfair/Halberd Omega.
3. No one's been able to replicate the move-cancelling thing since 1.0.6 dropped.
4. Mario Circuit ceiling glitch is still in AFAIK.

Lylat and FD's threads have been updated with the information on points 1 and 2.

Last edited:

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
Way ahead of you.

1. It works just like similar generous ledges such as Norfair Omega.
2. If the stage tilts enough to turn the angle into a level surface, you'll crash into it like the old Lylat. Since it depends on the tilting, it's a very transient thing (and you still need to pay attention in general) but the rest of the time it's much easier. Lylat Omega doesn't tilt and thus is more or less identical to Norfair/Halberd Omega.
3. No one's been able to replicate the move-cancelling thing since 1.0.6 dropped.

Lylat and FD's threads have been updated with the information on points 1 and 2.
Perfect, thanks. I wasn't aware those threads existed, which is why I didn't know about that information. Glad to be filled in. This means... complicated things for My Omega formulation. It might not even be worth discussing anymore now that Omega Lylat isn't so different. We'll see how it goes...

Slyshock

Smash Apprentice
Between Your Deepest Dreams and Warmest Wishes
NNID
Slyshock
Anyone want to double check that it's actually gone?
Tried to recreate it using Pikachu on Charizard, no dice. Tried on Donkey Kong, who also used to be affected, no dice. Tried on King Dedede and Bowser, also heavies with large hurtboxes, no dice.

If the glitch is no longer performable with the three characters who were known to be able to perform it, think it's safe to say that the glitch is no longer performable.

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
Tried to recreate it using Pikachu on Charizard, no dice. Tried on Donkey Kong, who also used to be affected, no dice. Tried on King Dedede and Bowser, also heavies with large hurtboxes, no dice.

If the glitch is no longer performable with the three characters who were known to be able to perform it, think it's safe to say that the glitch is no longer performable.
I never got it to work on them in the first place, so that's why I didn't bother testing with them.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Theory is nice and all, and I keep an eye on the stage whenever it gets picked, there will be other people worried, there will be complaints before any actual evidence, there will be people calling me an authoritarian, there will be people who are unaware and will simply pick FD (my local community hasn't grown much past that except for few people).

But all in all, only (consistent) evidence matters, and as of right now there are no more than one or two videos where the one not abusing the tactic might not know if there is even a way to counter it, thus, likely to be not even trying.

TheEnderFriend

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheEnderFriend3D
3DS FC
0404-7873-6714
I think Gamer is actually a good stage. The random platforms aren't too much to deal with, and the Mom is easy to avoid, once you know her patterns. Plus, having to try and knock your opponent into the Mom's view could be an interesting dynamic.

Omegaphoenix

Smash Apprentice
I think Gamer is actually a good stage. The random platforms aren't too much to deal with, and the Mom is easy to avoid, once you know her patterns. Plus, having to try and knock your opponent into the Mom's view could be an interesting dynamic.
Ehh. I like the stage, but having to back out anytime you get a crap layout, otherwise you may end up with Cave of Life Shenanigans is irritating, and Mom, while trackable, is very powerful

webbedspace

Smash Journeyman
One of the main issues is that tournaments aren't going to allow people to reset the game 1 to 6 times just to try and roll a Gamer layout without a cave-of-life structure, let alone be keen to write a special stage-picking rule to make this a requirement.

J_the_Man

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J_the_Man24
Confirmed. I was getting my hopes up too when I repeatedly was getting spiked by the ceiling rather than phasing through it, but I ended up eventually phasing into my death. As it turns out, the timing of it is really, really strict.

Zage

Smash Journeyman
What was people's problem with Wuhu Island as a counter pick? Now that the glitch is gone, I'm really hoping to see it come back to competitive play.

NNID
Budget_Player
What was people's problem with Wuhu Island as a counter pick? Now that the glitch is gone, I'm really hoping to see it come back to competitive play.
In a word: "APEX". In a more detailed explanation: basically, there was never a problem with Wuhu. It's just that APEX banned it, and then EVO went off the APEX ruleset, and then people started aping them without realizing why, and that led to at least two (Wuhu, PS2), more likely four (Skyloft, KJ64) totally legitimate stages getting banned just about everywhere.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
The glitch was the main thing I think. That video from release that happened to show it was a big factor. Then there's the walkoffs/water on some of the transformations but Delfino Plaza is still an accepted stage so that doesn't hold water. (Heh.)

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
With lylats edges being a bit better now post update, would it be possible for more tournaments who use the starter/counter pick formula to add lylat and t&c to starters? I always felt that 3 starters just didn't work out too well..

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
With lylats edges being a bit better now post update, would it be possible for more tournaments who use the starter/counter pick formula to add lylat and t&c to starters? I always felt that 3 starters just didn't work out too well..
There wasn't a reason before to have 3 starters and there definitely isn't a reason now. There should really be no counterpick stages and all starters, but 3 is especially atrocious.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
and then EVO went off the APEX ruleset
Do we have to do this AGAIN!?!?!?!?!?!!? EVO REQUESTED MORE STAGES THAN THERE WERE AT APEX AND NINTENDO SAID NO DUE TO MUSIC LICENSING ISSUES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS MAY BE THE THIRD OR FOURTH TIME I'VE HAD TO TELL YOU THIS MAN, COME ON NOW AND STOP SPREADING FALSE INFORMATION.

WHY AM I YELLING!?!?!? SOMEONE HELP ME TURN DOWN MY VOLUME!

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
We do know that, but we have 0 conformation that it was Wuhu Island, especially since Apex was allowed to use Wuhu Island Omega. They could've requested any stage, and the most logical one would've been Windy Hill Zone as it's just a floating platform stage like Battlefield and Lylat at first glance, and we know Windy Hill Zone has problems with music as Apex was not allowed to use Windy Hill Zone Omega. If we had confirmation that he requested Wuhu Island (or Skyloft or Kongo Jungle 64, or really any stage that isn't Windy Hill Zone or Onett) that'd be different.

TheEnderFriend

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheEnderFriend3D
3DS FC
0404-7873-6714
Do we have to do this AGAIN!?!?!?!?!?!!? EVO REQUESTED MORE STAGES THAN THERE WERE AT APEX AND NINTENDO SAID NO DUE TO MUSIC LICENSING ISSUES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS MAY BE THE THIRD OR FOURTH TIME I'VE HAD TO TELL YOU THIS MAN, COME ON NOW AND STOP SPREADING FALSE INFORMATION.

WHY AM I YELLING!?!?!? SOMEONE HELP ME TURN DOWN MY VOLUME!
Eat a Snickers.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
We do know that, but we have 0 conformation that it was Wuhu Island, especially since Apex was allowed to use Wuhu Island Omega. They could've requested any stage, and the most logical one would've been Windy Hill Zone as it's just a floating platform stage like Battlefield and Lylat at first glance, and we know Windy Hill Zone has problems with music as Apex was not allowed to use Windy Hill Zone Omega. If we had confirmation that he requested Wuhu Island (or Skyloft or Kongo Jungle 64, or really any stage that isn't Windy Hill Zone or Onett) that'd be different.
Well saying they just copied Apex is STILL not the truth since they didn't just copy Apex, no matter what stages they asked for.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Is the Wuhu glitch confirmed to be fixed?
As far as anyone can tell, yes. I'm operating under the assumption that it has until proven otherwise.

@ Budget Player Cadet_ Budget Player Cadet_ and I played some online matches on Kalos Pokemon League, Gamer, and Yoshi's Island. I'm sure he'll have his own piece to say later when he wakes up but here's my impressions.

Kalos Pokemon League: Overall surprisingly manageable given the sheer number of hazards it throws around. The Flood and Dragonmark Chambers are easy to play around regardless of what's going on. The Flame Chamber has the flame pillars offstage that can do ludicrous amounts of damage if they hit you into the stage and you miss the tech since you bounce back for another hit, but they're only there for a second at most. They only hit either of us once out of...I'd guess around 6 or 7 matches. The Ironworks Chamber is the weirdest of the lot since the swords are solid, so it's possible to rack up lots of damage. The metal pool is a double-edged sword -- it lets you survive if you're at high % but it also means it's easy to take a lot of damage since you're not flying far at all. The legendaries didn't appear that often, so I couldn't get a good feel for how much they made a difference. Rayquaza was easy to avoid though, the stage gives ample warning.

Gamer: Mom is almost trivially easy to avoid unless you're just not paying attention. The vast majority of layouts give plenty of cover to hide from her gaze, and she only ever looks at half the table at a time anyway so you can just carry the fight somewhere else. The only wrinkle is that Mom sometimes comes out of the TV and walks back and forth while her gaze is active, which caught BPC by surprise at one point since he didn't know the ominous SFX that started playing was the cue for such an event. (On a related note, Mom breaks shields instantly.) She also kills really early if you do get caught by her. Neither of us tried to circle camp so no comment on the viability of that.

Yoshi's Island: Blast zones are super duper close. Pikachu's bthrow nearly killed Peach at 20% from the left ledge. The right side and ceiling aren't much better. The flip blocks can be hit to make them intangible but I still felt closed in by them, not sure if BPC felt the same way or not. Overall not my cup of tea in the slightest.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
The only wrinkle is that Mom sometimes comes out of the TV and walks back and forth while her gaze is active, which caught BPC by surprise at one point since he didn't know the ominous SFX that started playing was the cue for such an event.
This may be going really far, but what if a player was Deaf and thus the musical cues couldn't be heard, or if the venue was just plain loud making people able to hear the cues not easily possible? I don't think music "helping" is something worth looking at for trying to legalize Gamer.

Not that it would ever be really legalized basically ever anyways, the community just wouldn't go for it.

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
This may be going really far, but what if a player was Deaf and thus the musical cues couldn't be heard, or if the venue was just plain loud making people able to hear the cues not easily possible? I don't think music "helping" is something worth looking at for trying to legalize Gamer.

Not that it would ever be really legalized basically ever anyways, the community just wouldn't go for it.
I feel that this is a place I should chime in, and mention I can't hear anything out of my left ear. Although my right side is fine and I manage, not hearing things I "should" is an unfortunate reality for me, especially with other distracting sounds going on.
The thing is, given enough interference ANY player will miss sounds and music when there are 5 other setups and 30+ other people in the room, and to die because someone else just closed out a particularly hype set at the exact moment you were "being warned" by the audio of the game is effectively a random hazard. I'm just particularly aware of this phenomenon as my level of interference is significantly smaller than most's.

For this reason, if all you can say about an event is that "It's predictable if you listen to the audio well enough" then I'm sorry but it's not a properly predictable event. Honestly, if a stage has an option to remove all music in order for the hazards to be properly predictable, then you're doing it wrong.

Gamer would be a stage I'd have to ban depending on what the station's volume is and how loud people were being, because allowing people to counterpick my disability while "playing to win" is a choice I wouldn't want to force someone to make. Obviously I'm not asking that the rules of Smash should be centralized around possible disabilities, but if there's an easy fix like replacing the difficult-to-see Final Destination with another Omega stage or enforcing Colour Blind Rule for team colours, why not do it?

NNID
Budget_Player
As far as anyone can tell, yes. I'm operating under the assumption that it has until proven otherwise.

@ Budget Player Cadet_ Budget Player Cadet_ and I played some online matches on Kalos Pokemon League, Gamer, and Yoshi's Island. I'm sure he'll have his own piece to say later when he wakes up but here's my impressions.

Kalos Pokemon League: Overall surprisingly manageable given the sheer number of hazards it throws around. The Flood and Dragonmark Chambers are easy to play around regardless of what's going on. The Flame Chamber has the flame pillars offstage that can do ludicrous amounts of damage if they hit you into the stage and you miss the tech since you bounce back for another hit, but they're only there for a second at most. They only hit either of us once out of...I'd guess around 6 or 7 matches. The Ironworks Chamber is the weirdest of the lot since the swords are solid, so it's possible to rack up lots of damage. The metal pool is a double-edged sword -- it lets you survive if you're at high % but it also means it's easy to take a lot of damage since you're not flying far at all. The legendaries didn't appear that often, so I couldn't get a good feel for how much they made a difference. Rayquaza was easy to avoid though, the stage gives ample warning.
My first reaction after a few matches was, "Why is this banned, again?" I originally thought the dragon-type segment's explosions were considerably faster and more random, but I was wrong. Every single hazard is extremely telegraphed and easy to react to, trivial in scope, or both. If you get hit by something, it's either your fault for not paying attention or your fault for letting your opponent throw you into it. In like 10 matches neither of us could force the other into either Dragon hazard or the Water hazard once. I got hit by Registeel, but only because I didn't know what I was looking at. None of the hazards seem to have noteworthy kill power, except the water stage which is phenomenally telegraphed and does no damage.

The metal stage is probably what most people are going to get hung up on, but it's got really interesting counterplay. Being metal is actually a huge advantage over the opponent, especially because unlike in previous smash games, it's not trivial to just combo or chaingrab a metal character to death, so while you can camp it out, it's not a good idea, and the metal coat gives players who want to approach a great tool to get past the typically very strong positional advantage of "behind a wall". It can swing matches, but these swings are entirely dominated by Player vs. Player interaction - how the two players deal with the situation of someone (or both people) being temporarily almost impossible to KO. This is so cool. This kind of counterplay is hard to find elsewhere, and it really does create an interesting and unique, but not broken or degenerate gamestate. This is super cool.

Seriously, why is this banned? I have no idea.

Gamer: Mom is almost trivially easy to avoid unless you're just not paying attention. The vast majority of layouts give plenty of cover to hide from her gaze, and she only ever looks at half the table at a time anyway so you can just carry the fight somewhere else. The only wrinkle is that Mom sometimes comes out of the TV and walks back and forth while her gaze is active, which caught BPC by surprise at one point since he didn't know the ominous SFX that started playing was the cue for such an event. (On a related note, Mom breaks shields instantly.) She also kills really early if you do get caught by her. Neither of us tried to circle camp so no comment on the viability of that.
I think that the way mom walks around the room kinda kills the match. You're forced to stop the match for a good 30+ seconds while she scans, and if someone has a decent projectile, it can get very unpleasant for their opponent *cough cough luma warp*. Oh, and it kills super early. When talking about hazards, kill %s really is an issue, because a hazard that kills at 30% means a situation where your opponent can force a kill at 30%, and thus super swingy, and in this case, you can't just stay away from the walkoff to avoid the problem. I died to mom at 20%. I don't think this stage would be viable even if it didn't have a hard circle half the time.

Yoshi's Island: Blast zones are super duper close. Pikachu's bthrow nearly killed Peach at 20% from the left ledge. The right side and ceiling aren't much better. The flip blocks can be hit to make them intangible but I still felt closed in by them, not sure if BPC felt the same way or not. Overall not my cup of tea in the slightest.
Nah, I'm done with that stage. It's probably the most fun anyone will ever have with Little Mac, but it's also kinda... ass. Like... wow. You know how Rosalina gets uair kills for free on Halberd? This stage pays Rosalina 10k a month to get uair kills. I think Ness probably kills Mewtwo off the left-side ledge at like 10%. It's just riddled with problems. :( Sad BPC is sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom