• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSBB North Jersey TerraBite tournament 2 8/23/08

Heart Break Kid

Smash Lord
Lol Spam is ****** this topic.
Umm good stuff to everyone I played in melee...Emu tipo velocity etc. I'll **** your Sheik next time Inui
Cool meeting some new people and srry for sucking in doubles Malcolm. We should play this week. Good stuff to Blue n Monk on beating me. Keitaro I'm shocked, you're supposed to be the **** at this game, you and Eazy should relax this Saturday and play melee instead of Brawl.

Snakee's too good at Brawl! Dnt wrry I got you in melee though :) Good **** to you and Shadow for repping NYC.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
lol, shut up Yes! :p

@ HBK: **** you, lol!! I think I'll just go to WSS and step it up.

@ Spam: Can't we still do random seeding but put in whoever is in which crew into tio before we random it? And also have 1st seed/2nd seed in it of course.

I think that would be decent. I would auto put M2K, Velocity, and Atomsk away from each other and not in the same bracket. Since Inui honestly would be 1st seed he would be away from them too, just not on the other side of the bracket.

Keitaro

Edit: I believe it was either Inui or Diem in charge of the brackets at Terrabite 1, anyone remember what happened then?
Oh ho ho!! I'll tell you what happened at this one.....besides both hosts getting 1st and 2nd: http://allisbrawl.com/event.aspx?id=1755

Keitaro: I had to fight 2 DDD's including Lord Knight and Atomsk, the character "they knew" I was horrible against and got 9th. I was also placed away from DM in the brackets cause "they knew" I can beat him since I did twice in tourney already.

Atomsk: They knew he gets beaten by Baji so Atomsk was made to fight Baji and lose. After that, Inui would do go Pit and gay Baji like they knew he could and be in winners finals. They knew they would eventually have to fight Atomsk but got lucky cause he was beaten by up and coming great player BlackWaltz.

Baji: They knew he can beat Atomsk so he was used only for this reason. Then as Inui and DM say "Baji is good, he just loses to DM and Inui all the time" he was then defeated by DM and Inui which they knew would happen.

DM: Wants to make money. Had an upset and lost to Blue Shell but if he didn't, he would have been in winners finals as planned since Atomsk was taken care of by Baji and Baji by Inui. DM luckily has Atomsk beaten by Waltz and makes it to grand finals.

Inui: Wants to make money. DM was on the other side of the bracket so no prob at all. They are first seed anyway. Atomsk, also first seed, was on his side but Baji was used and did his job. Inui, not having to fight DM cause of Shell or Atomsk cause of Baji, made it to grand finals easily. Don't even start with who he had to fight to get there.

I did not make this up, I got just about all this information from Montage members and also members that used to be in Montage but quit. I also know that both DM and Inui are honestly good but it sucks that other people get ***** so they can have an easier bracket.

Magus420

Smash Master
You realize how 'out there' conspiring specifically for you to play a certain DDD player in the loser's bracket and make sure you don't place well sounds... right?

I'm gonna take a guess and say that that didn't fall under the 'just about all this information' part.

Keitaro

You realize how 'out there' conspiring specifically for you to play a certain DDD player in the loser's bracket and make sure you don't place well sounds... right?
I didn't mean to stress it about the losers bracket, only winners. I just happened to make it up to Atomsk in losers.

Losers bracket is something that's pretty hard to control.

MalcolmM

Smash Lord
Cool meeting some new people and srry for sucking in doubles Malcolm. We should play this week. Good stuff to Blue n Monk on beating me. Keitaro I'm shocked, you're supposed to be the **** at this game, you and Eazy should relax this Saturday and play melee instead of Brawl.
We were both pretty off in doubles...lol. I'll hit u up when i can play yo but i gotta do this packin **** first -.-

Oh and dan...im the sonic player u played at the end of the tournament. dont let the wario fool u.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
We were both pretty off in doubles...lol. I'll hit u up when i can play yo but i gotta do this packin **** first -.-

Oh and dan...im the sonic player u played at the end of the tournament. dont let the wario fool u.
You sir, are too good. Rest assured, I will have my revenge. I had a perfect record against Sonic today (which was really comforting since Blue knocked me outta the first Terrabite) and then BAM, you outta no where, with an entirely different set of Mindgames. I countered way too much, and got owned. Don't worry, I won't forget about you.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
You sir, are too good. Rest assured, I will have my revenge. I had a perfect record against Sonic today (which was really comforting since Blue knocked me outta the first Terrabite) and then BAM, you outta no where, with an entirely different set of Mindgames. I countered way too much, and got owned. Don't worry, I won't forget about you.
And people were laughin' at me for losing to this guy at SWR... Then people find out he's good and are like "WTF am I supposed to do?!" And I feel much better.

Sonic is weird.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Yeah, people get underrated way too easily in Brawl. Just because you're good, doesn't mean no one else is. It's not like many people (or actually, anyone outside of NY and NJ) has heard of me, Munk, Umbra, or R00kie, but we're all extremely proficient. Due to an unfavorable losers bracket where both R00kie and I lost to Munk, we didn't get to prove it this time, but you'll all see soon (Umbra, I don't know what you're excuse is, lol. You usually out place us for no reason, lol.)

Snakeee

Smash Master
Don't worry Dan, for now just use that to your advantage. A lot of smashers tend to underestimate people they don't recognize, and when that happens you deserve the win. I'm not going to lie, I've done that myself before but I learned my lesson. You guys surprised me a lot as well.

Btw HBK, thanks for ****** me in Melee. I'm going to try to pick the game up again a bit. :)

718_ROOKI3

Smash Lord
Nana locking Snake's all over New York City
Yeah, people get underrated way too easily in Brawl. Just because you're good, doesn't mean no one else is. It's not like many people (or actually, anyone outside of NY and NJ) has heard of me, Munk, Umbra, or R00kie, but we're all extremely proficient. Due to an unfavorable losers bracket where both R00kie and I lost to Munk, we didn't get to prove it this time, but you'll all see soon (Umbra, I don't know what you're excuse is, lol. You usually out place us for no reason, lol.)
Umbra just made a mistake that he knows to not make again. I got an idea that I want to talk to you about over the phone so 7D when your ready just hit me up.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
This can be explained by the fact that Inui lost the data towards the end and had to remake it, so he went by who he knew won and lost in certain positions. So that wasn't him being a prick. I know, shocking.
I feel better knowing that. Somehow I took part in four different sets and managed to place lower than my friend who lost two consecutive sets.

Your breaking Inui's plans Waltz!!!! :laugh:
Whether or not that's actually what went down, it's still very funny to think about in that way. : )

To the Fox player I beat in round 2 (I think it was round 2, lol). For someone who is new to playing on a competative level, you're amazing. You're really fast (people tell me I'm really fast, but I can't really tell . . . I guess I'm getting faster). You have a few amateur mistakes which I'm sure experience will eliminate. If you study and practice, soon, you'll be right along side R00kie, representing Fox in a real way. I'd say your biggest weaknesses are being predictable, and not knowing how to react in certain situations. Keep improving.
I'd wager that you're refering to HTS. He was telling us after the tournament that some amazing Marth was telling him that he wasn't bad even though he was getting his *** handed to him. You apparently told him he knew what not to do and that he was fast, and I know he doesn't believe you.

Either way, I'll be sure to relay the message to him. He's all set up to give up Fox, too. : (

I don't think I've heard one person who was good in melee complain about the combos...coinkydink?
If it's a matter of opinion then I qualify. My Samus went 1-2 with Tetra in tourny, has taken two stocks off people like Vidjo and Cactuar (Peach and Marth, respectively), and went about 1-3 with Starz's Fox. I knew tech skill and knew how to combo, but Melee's combos are exactly the reason that I like Brawl better.

And Melee IS more balanced then Brawl. Sorry, it's true.
I know this is an old argument by now, but that's not entirely true. Right below the so-called "gods" of right now, there are about eight Brawl characters who stand a perfectly good chance of being "tournament viable". These characters might not be on the exact same level right now, but the gap a player would need to jump in order to reach the "gods" isn't that big at all.

I rely on my own ability more than characters ability

hardly any characters are explored in the game because everyone gives up right away.
I hate that about Brawl. It seems like 90% of Smashers do not take it seriously and are always too busy comparing it to Melee to explore the real possibilities that this new game has.

what would then be the excuse for my sonic winning a huge tourney. lol prolly oh i got lucky or i skimmed by bc of beating ppl that were less talented XD
That's exactly what they'd say...you dirty, stinking cheater! ; )

Whether or not those players want to accept that is a different story. But if Sonic, yoshi , zss were played all the time like the others, I SERIOUSLY doubt you would feel the same about making every character ususable. If those characters lose their element of surprise, they lose the one trump card they have. Then they become what they really are, characters with nowhere near as many effective options as the chars constantly used to win.
That's not the case at all. Players like Gimpyfish and Taj did once exist, and they did beat people with low tiers regularly. A lower tiered character (by current rankings, mind you) does not become unusuable just because a player becomes familiar with that character.

Also, the only reason there are so few Gimpys and Tajs is because most "good" players will abandon characters who have bigger learning curves for those with easier ones. When you ask any random 'new' player with a 'low tier character' to play against an 'experienced professional' with a 'high tier character', it'd be unfair to expect them to win. You're basically asking that random Ganon player to beat M2K's MK when he can't even beat M2K's [insertrarelyusedlowtiercharacterhere].

QFT, unless sum ******** AT's are discovered in brawl since the game is still new, brawl is ******** and ridiculusly unbalanced with low tiers having near 0 chance of winning any decent sized toruny with good people
You're asking that an established professional be taken to the bank by a never-heard-of-out-of-nowhere player who likes a low tier character. That's a very unfair way of trying to prove a point.

lol u have me very curious as of now, although I have no olimar problems, I would like to know which low tier scares ze blackwaltz!
My guess is Yoshi. That little devil can give Oli a run for his monnies.

then where would that leave others who are less talented. for something like that they are always destined to lose. why should brackets focuse on keeping those who are already good. it is certainly unfair to the rest of those that enter tourneys that see how UNRANDOM brackets are set. that too are also rigged tourneys and should not be that way. if you are good you must prove it even if it means having 2 pro brawlers go at it first round. brackets shouldn't make those less skilled be fated to always getting knocked out first. yea i sound like im speaking nonsense but try and understand the reason behind it. dont always set tourneys that those who may not seem to have talent not be able to shine at least once in the spotlight. otherwise the way things are run is completely bias

btw, what you say makes sense in all. but i just find it bias that it seems that tourneys are rigged bc of favored brawlers. that's very bias
It seems to me that people would rather give these established professionals a higher chance at earning money rather than making the bracket fair for all. Because again, if there is a professional at every turn of the bracket, you are asking someone who came out of nowhere (even if they are really good) to beat the best in order to get noticed.

Just think, Bum came out of nowhere. He's one of the best, but if he can't beat M2K in the first round then he'll never get noticed like he should be.

*Note I am not arguing against this post, just using it as a springboard to share my own thoughts.

Shoutouts:

Munk: That's right, I counterpick D3s with Samus. : D VERY close match, except for Omni's D3 I've never come that close to a sudden death before. You're 'lucky' D3 has that standing infinite...or maybe that's what he "needs" since D3 cannot approach Samus. >.>

Inui: I don't know what happened and I'm not mad. I knew that my inexperienced *** wouldn't be placing from the start so I'm glad for the experience and nothing else. Those matches were fun, even though I'm upset with how 'poorly' my Olimar did against you on Battlefield. I feel like crying.

Blue: The hillarious conversations during your bracket set vs ROT8 was too good. Keep at it! Protip: Sonic is 3rd party, he is high tier. Sakurai wouldn't slap Sega in the face like that.

Snakeee: WTH man?! I think you went easy on me that friendly match. There's no way you gave it your all if you beat the people you say you can beat and placed the way you placed. I expect a rematch next tourny (which will probably be CH4, so watch for my fedora!).

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I'd wager that you're refering to HTS. He was telling us after the tournament that some amazing Marth was telling him that he wasn't bad even though he was getting his *** handed to him. You apparently told him he knew what not to do and that he was fast, and I know he doesn't believe you.

Either way, I'll be sure to relay the message to him. He's all set up to give up Fox, too. : (
Seriously, I'll train him myself. If he's got an open-mind, I'd love to help him get better. he's got lots of potential, but he's a rookie. He just needs to practice way more, and be less predictable
(like if I'm at 120 damage, and we're both standing still, don't run up and Usmash, because I'm going to counter the second I see you move, expecting an Usmash. If you must Usmash, charge it, so that if I counter, I miss, if I shield, I don't get lucky with a perfect shield, and if I dodge, I get hit. I'd be a fool to rush in and attack in that situation, while your shield is full.)

Seriously, he better not quit, or I'll be mad. He is fast. You have to be fast to play Fox. Also, tell him I said use that speed to his advantage, and don't let the tempo drop. Rather than fighting in phases, which Marth is TOO proficient at doing, try to flow from one setting to the next, not giving your opponent a chance to reset the fighting. Fox is good once he's in, if you properly use jabs and tilts.

Oh and I know Pride doesn't like Sonics (though he does okay against them from what I've seen). TBH. Neither do I. I'm never sure whether to be offensive or defensive, and they move too much to tipper reliably. I'm not sure if this was the low tier that he was referring to.

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
If it's a matter of opinion then I qualify. My Samus went 1-2 with Tetra in tourny, has taken two stocks off people like Vidjo and Cactuar (Peach and Marth, respectively), and went about 1-3 with Starz's Fox. I knew tech skill and knew how to combo, but Melee's combos are exactly the reason that I like Brawl better.
Well I guess by your qualifications xzax is among the top Melee players because I took 3 stocks off Mew2King in a tournament match and xzax beat me in a crew battle. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I know this is an old argument by now, but that's not entirely true. Right below the so-called "gods" of right now, there are about eight Brawl characters who stand a perfectly good chance of being "tournament viable". These characters might not be on the exact same level right now, but the gap a player would need to jump in order to reach the "gods" isn't that big at all.
Eight? That's a joke. Marth, ROB, Falco, Dedede, Diddy, Toon Link, Olimar, Wario, [insert any character that is not Snake/Metaknight] are not capable of stopping planking Meta Knight. Most characters INCLUDING most of those have trouble dealing with Snake spacing first hit of ftilt/jab on shield + nade camping + random boostsmashes + uptilt to kill + ftilt out of shield.

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=5127921&postcount=184

That's not the case at all. Players like Gimpyfish and Taj did once exist, and they did beat people with low tiers regularly. A lower tiered character (by current rankings, mind you) does not become unusuable just because a player becomes familiar with that character.
Not unusable, just unwinnable. Gimpyfish didn't regularly win tournaments with Bowser and Taj didn't with Mewtwo. Also, in Melee low tiers at least had the capability of doing high damage combos. You aren't going to see a Falcon in Brawl death combo Falco.

Also, the only reason there are so few Gimpys and Tajs is because most "good" players will abandon characters who have bigger learning curves for those with easier ones. When you ask any random 'new' player with a 'low tier character' to play against an 'experienced professional' with a 'high tier character', it'd be unfair to expect them to win. You're basically asking that random Ganon player to beat M2K's MK when he can't even beat M2K's [insertrarelyusedlowtiercharacterhere].
It isn't a matter of learning curve. Some characters plain SUCK. You could give Gimpyfish and Taj 10 more years to practice their characters, they still will have basically no chance to beat M2K's Marth.

You're asking that an established professional be taken to the bank by a never-heard-of-out-of-nowhere player who likes a low tier character. That's a very unfair way of trying to prove a point.
There's a reason people who place high in tournaments don't generally use low tiers. It's because low tiers SUCK in Brawl.

It seems to me that people would rather give these established professionals a higher chance at earning money rather than making the bracket fair for all. Because again, if there is a professional at every turn of the bracket, you are asking someone who came out of nowhere (even if they are really good) to beat the best in order to get noticed.
me said:
If someone goes through Chillin and Chu then has to bust their *** off in losers after losing to Azen then gets 9th after losing to Atomsk when someone mediocre fights a bunch of people who are terrible and also gets 9th, how is that fair? It's absolutely NOT fair. People who suck aren't going to win ANYWAYS, why should they get EASY brackets while everyone good has hard brackets? That's GARBAGE. THAT is biased. There is no logical reasoning behind mediocre people placing high because they had bad opponents.
Also, if you have pools these hypothetical people who are really good should get a high seed in their pool. Not to mention your point is garbage because if they actually were really good they would just win anyways, at least in this state, because unless they're fighting Mew2King R1 they can win if they're really good.

Just think, Bum came out of nowhere. He's one of the best, but if he can't beat M2K in the first round then he'll never get noticed like he should be.
Bad argument, see above. No one is going to get Mew2King round 1 at EVERY tournament they go to. Also, if they actually ARE really good and all of the best people in the tournament are facing each other late in the bracket, they can cruise easily through losers and place high.

slikvik

Smash Master
**** MD/VA. I have no region. no really...
nah, you dont qualify

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Eh, I like Brawl because I don't enjoy the idea that the first hit is earned, and the rest are simply a rehearsed pattern. Why is the concept of having to earn every hit so vulgar to some of you?

But seriously, too much Melee vs. Brawl. I like each game for it's features, and actually don't compare them. Melee is better when I want to do something hard, and Brawl is better when I want to outsmart my opponent IMO. They both have their uses, and pluses for different categories.

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
Eh, I like Brawl because I don't enjoy the idea that the first hit is earned, and the rest are simply a rehearsed pattern. Why is the concept of having to earn every hit so vulgar to some of you?
After every hit your mind doesn't switch off and your fingers go into a rehearsed pattern. Let's say Marth grabs a space animal near the ledge. He can upthrow them and if they DI off he can dair them for a kill. Doesn't work if they DI towards the stage. He can also fthrow them and then fsmash/dtilt if they DI towards the stage. Doesn't work if they DI off the stage.

This is just one of many different instances where you have to THINK in the middle of your combo.

But seriously, too much Melee vs. Brawl. I like each game for it's features, and actually don't compare them. Melee is better when I want to do something hard, and Brawl is better when I want to outsmart my opponent IMO. They both have their uses, and pluses for different categories.
You have more OPTIONS in Melee and therefore MORE ways to outsmart your opponent.

Snakeee

Smash Master
I honestly feel that there are more options in Brawl...at least at this point. When I played Melee it was always like, "ok, in this situation you HAVE to do this". Everyone really good knows almost everything in Melee now, so there's less surprises. In Brawl, we're still figuring things out that can be done in different situations.

I think there's more of reading your opponent as well as having to switch up your game in Brawl.

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
When I played Melee it was always like, "ok, in this situation you HAVE to do this". Everyone really good knows almost everything in Melee now, so there's less surprises.
I come up with new stuff ALL the time. I talked to Mew2King after Chu's final biweekly and he said he came up with better/more reliable strats for Marth vs Falco. There is still TONS of stuff to be discovered in Melee.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
I mean.... I just run around looking really pretty and hit people when they get in my way...

It's been super reliable for me so far...

It has also been my strategy for like... 2 years now.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
It would appear that you truly have made it your mission to make me look as terrible as possible, Keitaro. Being the biggest host in the state and a consistently good player, this is obviously bad for me. My reputation as a host is important for my events to continue to be successful, especially with dmbrandon missing and possibly quitting. Do you want the largest events in the state to be harmed by your bullshit? I also care about my reputation as a player enough to not be considered someone that can't place well without a "rigged" bracket. I've had my fair share of death brackets and I still place high.

Keitaro said:
Keitaro: I had to fight 2 DDD's including Lord Knight and Atomsk, the character "they knew" I was horrible against and got 9th. I was also placed away from DM in the brackets cause "they knew" I can beat him since I did twice in tourney already.
You weren't seeded against those players on purpose at all. In fact, dmbrandon and I did not and do not consider you a threat to us at all, so there would be no reason to seed you away from us. We'd just beat you anyways. It's not our fault that you can't win a match your character has the advantage in because the only things you know how to do are jab and randomly f-smash.

Atomsk: They knew he gets beaten by Baji so Atomsk was made to fight Baji and lose. After that, Inui would do go Pit and gay Baji like they knew he could and be in winners finals. They knew they would eventually have to fight Atomsk but got lucky cause he was beaten by up and coming great player BlackWaltz.
This is the one and only thing I will partially concede. At the time, dmbrandon and I both considered Atomsk a decent threat, but not one we weren't confident against. I wanted to avoid Atomsk because I viewed him as the largest threat there, so I indeed hoped Bajisci would beat him and I had him near Bajisci for that reason. I admit this was wrong and I will never do something like that again.

DM: Wants to make money. Had an upset and lost to Blue Shell but if he didn't, he would have been in winners finals as planned since Atomsk was taken care of by Baji and Baji by Inui. DM luckily has Atomsk beaten by Waltz and makes it to grand finals.
I had no idea who BlackWaltz was at the time, so on what basis are you accusing dmbrandon and I of having Atomsk lose to BlackWaltz as part of a plan?

dmbrandon ended up defeating every single player he came across in losers, including Lord Knight, Bajisci, BlackWaltz, and BlueShell because he was a great player and deserved the place he earned. Are you just jealous that someone you beat way back in April got so much better than you and actually has accomplishments not from the stone age?

Inui: Wants to make money. DM was on the other side of the bracket so no prob at all. They are first seed anyway. Atomsk, also first seed, was on his side but Baji was used and did his job. Inui, not having to fight DM cause of Shell or Atomsk cause of Baji, made it to grand finals easily. Don't even start with who he had to fight to get there.
What do you mean by "don't even start with who he had to fight to get there"?

I had to play Ether before Bajisci, and he's a very good player. He was a hard match for me. Actually harder than Bajisci. He's certainly better than you are. I had to fight Bajisci right after Ether during the period of time that Bajisci was beating Atomsk and doing very well overall, so that is by no means an easy match. I then defeated BlueShell in winners finals and then defeated dmbrandon in grand finals, something the rest of the people in losers he plowed through couldn't accomplish. I earned that win and I am angered that you would dare imply that I didn't.

I did not make this up, I got just about all this information from Montage members and also members that used to be in Montage but quit. I also know that both DM and Inui are honestly good but it sucks that other people get ***** so they can have an easier bracket.
You obviously got your facts wrong.

This post made me lose a lot of respect for you. If you don't apologize and explain this nonsense, please refrain from acting kind with me in person because I will gladly tell you to fuck off at this point.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Inui, Imma just ask you one question, and one question straight. As a person who frequent hosts tournaments, you just admitted that your reputation, albeit rather miserable in this community, is pretty important to you. Now, I don't know you really, so I don't have too much against you, but since the Zodiac Braves hosted this tournament, it affects our reputation somewhat. When people think Terrabite 2, they think rigged brackets. Now, naturally, this hurts our reputation, and considering this was the first tourney we were hosting, this doesn't exactly go over kindly with us.

So, answer me this one question straight. Did you mess with the brackets at Terrabite 2 to give yourself a better chance at advancing in the tournament? Yes or no?

Keitaro

everyone stfu and laugh that ken is on survivor
I saw the video of him talking on the website. He started talking about mindgames and percentages on the video, wtf!?!?!? lol, I may actually watch Survivor for the first time ever.

@ Inui: I don't need you hating on me cause I stated stuff that I have heard or known cause I really did. If anything, next time I see some problems with the brackets or whatever I'll let you know personally instead of publically since it's causing you to get angry at the Keitaro and no one is supposed to hate the Keitaro. Plus I don't think anyone really cared about that long post I made earlier.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Well I guess by your qualifications xzax is among the top Melee players because I took 3 stocks off Mew2King in a tournament match and xzax beat me in a crew battle. :laugh::laugh::laugh:
I do not believe that I am one of the top players. The qualification was "anyone who is good with combos". For me to do anything against any kind of established player, it should be a given that I know my way around the game and know how to deal with that level of play. These random examples (all taken from Oct'07 or later) should be valid enough to show that I know what I'm talking about.

Eight? That's a joke. Marth, ROB, Falco, Dedede, Diddy, Toon Link, Olimar, Wario, [insert any character that is not Snake/Metaknight] are not capable of stopping planking Meta Knight. Most characters INCLUDING most of those have trouble dealing with Snake spacing first hit of ftilt/jab on shield + nade camping + random boostsmashes + uptilt to kill + ftilt out of shield.

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=5127921&postcount=184
So we're arguing opinions, is that it?

I've seen NinjaLink 2-0 M2K's MK not even four months ago, don't tell me no character has a chance of beating a MK. At that same tournament, Cort played Snake and the highest place that a Snake got was 9th. The top3 was Lucario, Kirby, Diddy.

I really don't see a point in arguing with you because you seem brainwashed by the tournament scene just enough to not listen to opinions which originate outside of what you consider "good" or "qualified" players. I will, however, because I have boredom. >.<

And I don't see what Eggm's list has to do with a Brawl debate.

Not unusable, just unwinnable. Gimpyfish didn't regularly win tournaments with Bowser and Taj didn't with Mewtwo. Also, in Melee low tiers at least had the capability of doing high damage combos. You aren't going to see a Falcon in Brawl death combo Falco.
Picking exactly one example that works doesn't prove your point, you should have learned that in ninth grade Algebra.

Zelda and G&W weren't ever going to combo anyone to death in Melee.

But that's irrelavent because Brawl is not the same game. In Brawl, very few of the high tier characters can perform high damage combos. Or we could talk 'not true' combos, in which case any character would be capable enough.

It isn't a matter of learning curve. Some characters plain SUCK. You could give Gimpyfish and Taj 10 more years to practice their characters, they still will have basically no chance to beat M2K's Marth.
Even in Brawl there are oddities, such as Tudor's Samus and RoyR's Falcon. And even if they can't beat M2K (who is established and one of the best), that does not, by any means, mark them as a bad player.

There's a reason people who place high in tournaments don't generally use low tiers. It's because low tiers SUCK in Brawl.
Not the case. People use high tiers because all they have to do is follow the metagame and learn the playstyle. Picking up a low tier would require a player to do all the footwork, so to speak, his/herself, and most people don't want to put that sort of effort in.

I'm not against tiers, I actually laugh when people try to tell me that a tier list doesn't exist. I place value on what people consider 'lower tiered' characters. This does not mean that I think Yoshi or Jiggs can be better than Snake, don't get me wrong, but it also doesn't mean that I think they suck.

Also, if you have pools these hypothetical people who are really good should get a high seed in their pool. Not to mention your point is garbage because if they actually were really good they would just win anyways, at least in this state, because unless they're fighting Mew2King R1 they can win if they're really good.
That they should. To bad small tournaments don't usually run pools because it takes a while.

Really good as in good enough to beat M2K? 98% of the Smash community could never hope to beat M2K. There could be a great player who's just not quite good enough that would never get a chance to stand out if, every time, (s)he had to face off against an 'established pro'.

Bad argument, see above. No one is going to get Mew2King round 1 at EVERY tournament they go to. Also, if they actually ARE really good and all of the best people in the tournament are facing each other late in the bracket, they can cruise easily through losers and place high.
They don't have to get M2K. They could get: Chu, Neo, Forte, Omni, NL, Azen, Cort, Vidjo, Velocity, Atmosk, BlackWaltz, etc. Any number of good players who we know now could be just a BIT better than an up-and-commer and shut him/her out. And what happens if that up-and-commer could only attend NYC Smashfests, or didn't get to attend as many tournaments as (s)he would have liked to?

It's my opinion that it is unfair. I know that one person like myself cannot hope to change the traditions of a brainwashed community.

After every hit your mind doesn't switch off and your fingers go into a rehearsed pattern. Let's say Marth grabs a space animal near the ledge. He can upthrow them and if they DI off he can dair them for a kill. Doesn't work if they DI towards the stage. He can also fthrow them and then fsmash/dtilt if they DI towards the stage. Doesn't work if they DI off the stage.

This is just one of many different instances where you have to THINK in the middle of your combo.
In both of your examples, the decision of which way to throw your opponent would be made instinctively, and in each case the reaction comes naturally because there are so few possible outcomes. You're just following a list, and the description of what happens after each time you land a hit is as follows:

If this, then this; else this.

You have more OPTIONS in Melee and therefore MORE ways to outsmart your opponent.
That is not true. How can you have longer combos, more hitstun, and "more options"? It just doesn't work like that, I'm sorry but it doesn't.

I saw the video of him talking on the website. He started talking about mindgames and percentages on the video, wtf!?!?!? lol, I may actually watch Survivor for the first time ever.
Haha. I thought that was a joke at first. So it looks like I'll be watching the new season of Survivor as well. : )

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
So we're arguing opinions, is that it?
Not opinions. I'm stating facts.

I've seen NinjaLink 2-0 M2K's MK not even four months ago, don't tell me no character has a chance of beating a MK. At that same tournament, Cort played Snake and the highest place that a Snake got was 9th. The top3 was Lucario, Kirby, Diddy.
I said PLANKING METAKNIGHT, not just Metaknight. I don't give a **** if M2K thinks running at your opponent and attacking is more fun then planking, it's NOT more effective. Cort's rustier than Atomsk's bike that's been left outside for a year and a half.

I also don't care if top 5 split the pot what the results are. M2K went Dedede vs Chu's Kirby when he was told before the set that Kirby counters Dedede.

I really don't see a point in arguing with you because you seem brainwashed by the tournament scene just enough to not listen to opinions which originate outside of what you consider "good" or "qualified" players. I will, however, because I have boredom. >.<
I'll listen to opinions as long as they're supported by FACTUAL evidence.

And I don't see what Eggm's list has to do with a Brawl debate.
More Melee viable characters then Brawl viable characters was the point.

Picking exactly one example that works doesn't prove your point, you should have learned that in ninth grade Algebra.
Actually, in ninth grade Algebra you learn stuff like x+2=5, x=5-2, x=3. However, in TENTH grade geometry you learn that one counterexample is all it takes to prove at theorem false. Mathematics courses you obviously didn't take aside, the point was that in Melee, at LEAST low tiers could death combo spacies as well as other high tiers. What low tiers in Brawl are EVER going to death combo high tiers? None, which is why I didn't list out every single example.

Zelda and G&W weren't ever going to combo anyone to death in Melee.
The first 10 seconds of this match disagrees with your assessment that Zelda wasn't ever going to combo anyone to death in Melee: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng5AMWRNmSQ

She can also CG spacies. G&W also has pretty respectable combos vs spacies IIRC, I'd link to Dire's Melee combo video but I can't find it.

But that's irrelavent because Brawl is not the same game. In Brawl, very few of the high tier characters can perform high damage combos. Or we could talk 'not true' combos, in which case any character would be capable enough.
Except in Brawl bad characters can't limit the hell out of their opponents options the way good characters can by doing almost nothing. Snake can stand in front of your shield and if you're Mario you can't do **** about that if he's spaced properly.

Even in Brawl there are oddities, such as Tudor's Samus and RoyR's Falcon. And even if they can't beat M2K (who is established and one of the best), that does not, by any means, mark them as a bad player.
I've never heard of either of them beating big names at big tournaments or placing high. IF they have, please link me to the thread and/or vids of this. Tudor's Brawl "combo" video was a joke. 95+% of what he did was EASILY escapable.

Not the case. People use high tiers because all they have to do is follow the metagame and learn the playstyle. Picking up a low tier would require a player to do all the footwork, so to speak, his/herself, and most people don't want to put that sort of effort in.
No, that IS the case. Learning characters is easy as HELL in Brawl. Because I have TRIED as hard as possible to make this game fun, I have played with every character. I perused all the specific character boards and played basically every character in the game for a decent amount of time. Bad characters are just bad. There is no way around it.

"Don't get hit" - Isai. You don't want to get hit, you want to be safe at all times. Low tiers are VERY bad at keeping themselves safe in this game. This is because they have bad pokes, they suck at defending themselves from camping and suck at camping, or a combination of all three. Most of them also happen to suck at killing, but that wouldn't matter that much if they were good at the others.

I'm not against tiers, I actually laugh when people try to tell me that a tier list doesn't exist. I place value on what people consider 'lower tiered' characters. This does not mean that I think Yoshi or Jiggs can be better than Snake, don't get me wrong, but it also doesn't mean that I think they suck.
They DO suck compared to broken tier. Jigglypuff has gay camping, M2K says her fair has a good amount of shieldstun and is almost as gay as her Melee fair, she has drillrest, a good dash grab, and a good dash attack but she's STILL mediocre compared to broken tier. She's not that bad on gay stages and possibly pretty good in teams, but that's it.

That they should. To bad small tournaments don't usually run pools because it takes a while.
Well in small tournaments everyone is pretty much doomed to face good people very fast so that can't be helped for anyone. Pools should be run at every event when possible though. For the people who would place last/second to last they still get to play a good amount of sets and for the people who place high they don't have to worry about playing each other R1.

Really good as in good enough to beat M2K? 98% of the Smash community could never hope to beat M2K. There could be a great player who's just not quite good enough that would never get a chance to stand out if, every time, (s)he had to face off against an 'established pro'.
Really good as in good enough to beat anyone else. My bad, I left a comma out after R1. The segment should read as "unless they're fighting Mew2King R1, they can win if they're really good."

They don't have to get M2K. They could get: Chu, Neo, Forte, Omni, NL, Azen, Cort, Vidjo, Velocity, Atmosk, BlackWaltz, etc. Any number of good players who we know now could be just a BIT better than an up-and-commer and shut him/her out. And what happens if that up-and-commer could only attend NYC Smashfests, or didn't get to attend as many tournaments as (s)he would have liked to?
This is NJ, most of those people aren't here. The only person in this state who is a guaranteed loss is M2K. Everyone else is beatable. Also, if someone takes say BlackWaltz to R3 last hit and then takes someone else good to R3 last hit they're going to be seeded better in the next bracket. You have to do something to prove that you're good. You can't just expect the community to know exactly how skilled you are unless you do something to prove it. Beating mediocre people isn't proving anything.

In both of your examples, the decision of which way to throw your opponent would be made instinctively, and in each case the reaction comes naturally because there are so few possible outcomes. You're just following a list, and the description of what happens after each time you land a hit is as follows:

If this, then this; else this.
Ok? You still have to predict how your opponent is going to DI. If they DI off the stage and you fthrow you can't follow it up with anything and if they DI on the stage and you upthrow you don't have a kill. I prefer this a lot more then "oh I hit them above me, they are either going to airdodge or try and beat [insert move here that they can't beat that does pathetic damage and doesn't lead into anything devastating at all]"

I like being rewarded with giving my opponent more then 10% and a hand written note by Sakurai saying "Have fun camping more until they hit you one time again!"

That is not true. How can you have longer combos, more hitstun, and "more options"? It just doesn't work like that, I'm sorry but it doesn't.
Actually, it DOES work like that because when you AREN'T being hit you can do more. You actually can APPROACH and safely hit people's shields with more then just pokes that don't lead to anything substantial. You can move around on platforms with wavelanding, which is a whole new option of movement. Wavedash - Whole new option of movement. From the ledge, you can actually drop off the ledge immediately the moment you grab it so you can jump up with an attack while you're invincible for part of the duration or waveland up with an attack. Wavelanding up perfectly to keep as many invincibility frames as possible isn't easy for a lot of characters so it's more to give you more ways to attack then anything else.

Luck-NYC/NJ

Smash Lord
BergenField, Bergen County(North East Jersey)
im sorry rhyme but your wrong. thank you spam. the funny thing is you used all the reasons me and tier have used to explain to cass that melee is better and more balanced then brawl. Melee just allows more options while brawl just allows you a variety of fun characters even though most of them are unsuable.

the funny thing is when melee v brawl debates come about brawl should never win for this soul reason. Both games were not intended to be competitive games. The evidence of this can be scene in the certain dynamics of both games. for Melee it was move landing lag, the quick pace and the random phantom hits, however due to the innovativeness of the smash community we were able to discover advance techniques which made the games extremely competitive thus it being a success. For brawl the evidence is overwhelming things such as Tripping, lack of hit stun, move landing lag, the floatiness of all characters, priority of certain moves (e.g tornado), the list goes on. In brawl because of the lack of viable advanced techniques to help correct the non competitive aspects the game fails to compare to melee. thats why melee is better for the smash community because we are competitive gamers not casual gamers.

a quicker way to say it is. for melee sakurai failed to screw us over, so then he was like "ok you **** gamers im gonna stop sandbagging"

-Blue-

Smash Journeyman
im sorry rhyme but your wrong. thank you spam. the funny thing is you used all the reasons me and tier have used to explain to cass that melee is better and more balanced then brawl. Melee just allows more options while brawl just allows you a variety of fun characters even though most of them are unsuable.

the funny thing is when melee v brawl debates come about brawl should never win for this soul reason. Both games were not intended to be competitive games. The evidence of this can be scene in the certain dynamics of both games. for Melee it was move landing lag, the quick pace and the random phantom hits, however due to the innovativeness of the smash community we were able to discover advance techniques which made the games extremely competitive thus it being a success. For brawl the evidence is overwhelming things such as Tripping, lack of hit stun, move landing lag, the floatiness of all characters, priority of certain moves (e.g tornado), the list goes on. In brawl because of the lack of viable advanced techniques to help correct the non competitive aspects the game fails to compare to melee. thats why melee is better for the smash community because we are competitive gamers not casual gamers.

a quicker way to say it is. for melee sakurai failed to screw us over, so then he was like "ok you **** gamers im gonna stop sandbagging"
ok this is complete BS >_>. ppl have really lost what it means to be competitive. think ppl think. yea discovering new AT's to a game could arouse the interest but that doesn't determine if it is either acceptable or not to be competitive. The meaning of competitve is from the players not the D*** game. stop looking for gay ways to win and play it as it should be played. Melee will NEVER be brawl. they are different in some assets and ppl should change with the growth of the game.

and about the tier listing. it is THAT which makes a game bad. everyones stupid remarks about what characters should and shouldn't be liable in tourney based games is rediculous. yes they exsits but that comes along with advantages and disadvantages with any and all fighting based game. some characters fair betr than others or a few more. So what if MK or Snake and even ddd is overpowered, that does not mean they are unbeatable. trust me a sonic mainer that has been taken as a joke. i've beaten lord knight. thats a record of 2-0. just enjoy the F'in game and stop making rediculous assumptions of no one beating M2K or charaters being unbeatable.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
I do not believe that I am one of the top players. The qualification was "anyone who is good with combos". For me to do anything against any kind of established player, it should be a given that I know my way around the game and know how to deal with that level of play. These random examples (all taken from Oct'07 or later) should be valid enough to show that I know what I'm talking about.
I don't understand people who think melee is all about combos. Are people really not aware of my playstyle still? I CAN'T COMBO, AND I AM A TOP LEVEL PLAYER. My most complicated combo is generally drill shine to upsmash. That is really the only set combo that I can do. You do not have to be good with combos to be good at melee. You do not know what you are talking about.

My knowledge of smash is centered around knowing how to hit people. If you can learn how to do this, you don't need to combo.

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
ok this is complete BS >_>. ppl have really lost what it means to be competitive. think ppl think. yea discovering new AT's to a game could arouse the interest but that doesn't determine if it is either acceptable or not to be competitive. The meaning of competitve is from the players not the D*** game. stop looking for gay ways to win and play it as it should be played.
Yes, the meaning of the word competitive is from the players. Most people generally agree that a good competitive game has depth and answers for everything. Brawl lacks depth. Brawl lacks answers for broken strategies/moves.

and about the tier listing. it is THAT which makes a game bad. everyones stupid remarks about what characters should and shouldn't be liable in tourney based games is rediculous. yes they exsits but that comes along with advantages and disadvantages with any and all fighting based game. some characters fair betr than others or a few more.
No, tier lists do not make the game bad. The horrifying imbalance that makes many characters vastly inferior to the best characters is what makes the game bad.

So what if MK or Snake and even ddd is overpowered, that does not mean they are unbeatable. trust me a sonic mainer that has been taken as a joke. i've beaten lord knight. thats a record of 2-0. just enjoy the F'in game and stop making rediculous assumptions of no one beating M2K or charaters being unbeatable.
You also lost to Tec0 0-2 at that tournament. Are you aware that tec0 played Brawl for a grand total of a WEEK before he went to that tournament? Are you aware that the advice he got from Atomsk was nothing more then "swallow when he spins" and "turn around grab when he dairs other side of shield"?

Cactuar said:
I don't understand people who think melee is all about combos. Are people really not aware of my playstyle still? I CAN'T COMBO, AND I AM A TOP LEVEL PLAYER. My most complicated combo is generally drill shine to upsmash. That is really the only set combo that I can do. You do not have to be good with combos to be good at melee. You do not know what you are talking about.

My knowledge of smash is centered around knowing how to hit people. If you can learn how to do this, you don't need to combo.
Truth. I also happen to never think about set combos besides a few like waveshining.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgWwkxwTf1o&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cin19aaQvDM&feature=related

This is who he's playing in those matches: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y8rQ_0zNIg

-Blue-

Smash Journeyman
so what if he had gotten advice from atomsk. and so what i lost to tec0. i learn and i grow from it and i become that much betr from my mistakes. not make lame excusses like oh he used a character betr than sonic. i've beaten ddd b4 but a dif strategy is what makes the dif not tiers. quite honest i have no excuse as to when i lose. i've done well at montage tourneys with sonic so why would i start making excusses now. but, thats beside the point, i've beaten ddd's MK and lots of snakes, even falco's. why is it that bc of tiers ppl automaticlly assume that i played someone that sucked with a high tier. i guess being that ppl say that lord knight sucks according to how narrow minded ppl can be when it comes to tiers. that also shows what would become of M2K if he didn't main MK right. what good is the player if they only focus on the characters natural ability rather than their own. not to say M2K doesn't but not once had i seen him pick otherwise. prove that some of these brawlers are good by playing with characters that arn't naturally good. TOP what i had to accomplish with maining such a low class character. give that same respect to even Blue sHell and any other good brawler that don't get sucked into maining a character that dont feels best in their control other than a zombified brawler only following the rest on the tiers bullcrap.

No disrespect to anyone truely. i just feel that being inslaved to the tier list causes a lot of problems right along with the differences in melee to brawl. simply put stop complaining. if you dont like brawl stop playing it. stop complaining about how melee is betr than brawl or brawl betr than melee. it you feel that way go back to playing melee or grow and adapt to the new game both pros and cons of the game like a pro gamer should be. That you can somewhat look at M2K as the role model for finding ways to adapt to the new game without much complaint

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
so what if he had gotten advice from atomsk. and so what i lost to tec0.
So what? HE PLAYED THE GAME FOR A GRAND TOTAL OF A WEEK! In any GOOD competitive game, if you've been practicing for months you don't lose to someone who played the game for a WEEK who was told to do TWO things. If you can't acknowledge that it's stupid that someone who played the game for ONE WEEK got 5th place and beat people who have been playing for months then there is no point arguing with you.

Top Bottom