• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Squirtle Tactical Discussion

zeta

Smash Journeyman
I was watching my vids the other day and i noticed that you can start the up b facing one direction and then go the other way. Its only like the first few frames and i don't think it really changes anything but kinda cool to see.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Yeah, I think that's not unusual for b-reversals (or is it a turnaround-b? I forget the difference). I think you can see it if you look carefully at Sonic's up-B, but it's definitely obvious (and odd-looking) on Squirtle.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
yeah i've done it a few times with squirtle and gone "oh cool"

it's useful because you may be facing away from the platform you need to reach.

Adriel

Smash Journeyman
Gaiz, you should start using Squartle's jab moar. It comes out in 1 frame, so you can pretty much punish (and interrupt) any move.

Kith

Smash Ace
Squirtle's jabs are amazing. I instinctively jab after a failed grab now, because I know it's safe :-D

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
jab jab down tilt imo. the one thing i hate with squirtle's jab is using it into a shield, and dtilt shieldpokes often. works even better if you trip them on the second jab.

Adriel

Smash Journeyman
Squirtle's jab has very low hitstun so jab jab d-tilt would not really work if you're opponent knows your trying to do that. However, if you trip your opponent or if you're opponent expects you to just finish off with the last jab, then it's possible to jab cancel into a d-tilt.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
I can't be the only person who's noticed that when you fast-fall Squirtle's Fair (Not Bair, for some reason) with the control stick AND the C-stick, he actually moves forward approximately 75% of a Squirtle Fair legnth quickly with the hitbox extended and no additional lag. I use this in combination with a short-hop to either bait my opponents shield (In which case I just double jump away or something) or lure their counter attack or grab, then FFFair into them. Obviously characters like Marth aren't substantially bothered by this, but its worked on other characters with similar range to Squirtle.

infomon

Smash Scientist
I can't be the only person who's noticed that when you fast-fall Squirtle's Fair (Not Bair, for some reason) with the control stick AND the C-stick, he actually moves forward approximately 75% of a Squirtle Fair legnth quickly with the hitbox extended and no additional lag. I use this in combination with a short-hop to either bait my opponents shield (In which case I just double jump away or something) or lure their counter attack or grab, then FFFair into them. Obviously characters like Marth aren't substantially bothered by this, but its worked on other characters with similar range to Squirtle.
Hmm, Fair give you a (small) extra horizontal boost, so I guess that's what you're observing. Just jump vertical > c-stick Fair and you'll notice you move forward a bit. This just helps SH Fairs seem really quirky and awesome, I guess.

Unless there's something more to this that I don't understand. Squirtle SH FF Fair is awesome tho.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Once again I managed to Grab Release "chaingrab" a G&W using Squirtle. (Similiar to Marths deathgrab on Ness)

1. They can also EIDI out of it.
2. Sometimes they can just break out of it.
3. Lightning fast reflexes means they can grab YOU out of it.

Got 60-110% AA trip-regrab to the edge > pummel to 120% > Dthrow > KO.

too fun...

Wonder if he can semi-grab release-CG anyone else .... >.>

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
i wouldn't rely on a second jab trip. x)

its possible havok. something we should look into for all 3 pokes imo.

SuSa

I always rely on the second jab trip :p if it doesn't trip, I finish the AAA. (and yes my reflexes are that fast xD)

It's something I would look into if I had a test partner xD no one to test with = not very reliable results.

Magik0722

Smash Champion
naw thats a legend that needs to be put to be. If you do have instanteous reaction time you still wont be able to finish the AAA combo. if you dont AAA as fast as possible they are able to perfect shield the last hit. I used to always use the trip grab but i have stoped for the most part. Unless i have a huge percentage advantage and squirtle is starting to tire out then i will go for it if nessacary. But otherwise the risk does not equal the reward.

SuSa

I've only been powershielded twice xD until I get punished hard/KO'd for messing up, I'll use it.

and by my reflexes being that fast is I don't just always go for the grab, trip or no trip, and I can cancel it right when I see the trip.... from what I've seen of my friends PT (his is a bit better then mine) he has problems with the quick decision to A one more time, or cancel to a grab/dash grab

TKD

Smash Lord
I think the best thing to do as Squirtle is to spam everything that works. The only move I actually save is the downthrow, and I don't always save it. It's so I can knock my opponent away to allow me a second to switch to a fresh Ivysaur, who takes care of KO'ing.

Planning to fight it out and to knock your opponent's 1st stock out without switching monsters will only cause trouble because of fatigue. I don't think Pokemon Trainer is a character that needs to "keep his KO moves fresh".

I always rely on the second jab trip :p if it doesn't trip, I finish the AAA. (and yes my reflexes are that fast xD)
Wow.

Onxy

Smash Lord
But that won't help you, as there is no hit stun in this game XD I can just tap A and jab you if I don't trip.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
chok is amazing.

so i pulled off my first ftilt lock in a tourney match yesterday. dude was like oh wow didn't know that. yuuup. helped me come back and tie the set at 1-1. :) go corneria go.

in the third match we went to delfino. i had just lost my second stock and the opponent still had two. we happened to be on the transformation with stairs and walk-offs on both sides. squirtle came out, grabbed him near the right walk off, pummeled til he broke free, used my jab combo...

and killed him

at 25%.

and then i won the match and set.

amazing and gay at the same time.

jab combo also kills on sv's moving platform when its near the boundaries. use the jab combo!

and yeah don't depend on trip from the second jab.

Pelikinesis

Smash Journeyman
Random question:

Is there any strategical use for an uncharged Water Gun attack?

I know it does damage and I want to find a way to abuse it because it seems so arbitrary a move to concentrate on.

Is it possible to start a combo or end a combo with it? Does it gimp recoveries? Or is it just kind of useless compared to his other options?

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
it's really useless. easy to di out of. lag for squirtle so he can't follow up. bad range.

zeta

Smash Journeyman
uncharged water gun is the second best taunt behind ivysaurs crouch and crawl backwards followed closely by charizards gair

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Lol actually a full distance reverse shift with squirtles downtaunt is the best but thats just because watching a spinning shell slide around is hysterical

Top Bottom