• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Squirtle Tactical Discussion

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
you can smash DI to escape the second hit

you can powershield the second hit

wtf guys

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
yeah its good but they're saying like they should go for it instead of a bair or a grab or something

sure when you want to beat out something its good but if your opponent does one of the 100 things he could do to counter it it's a free grab for him

CoonTail

Smash Lord
The first hit is the good part.

Beats so much stuff its soo fast.

Imo still good.
I thought with the first jab being so fast it made squirtles jab-grab very quick and much harder to stop. I deff wouldnt consider using it over a b-air but i would deff consider jab grabbing quite a bit. So typh its not that I would chose the weak attacks(not the combo) over a b-air or grab I would chose to jab and grab over the 3 hits any day.

Adriel

Smash Journeyman
Squartle's jab has pretty much no hitstun which is why it's possible to powershield it, but still, it comes out in 1 frame. It's too good not to use.

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
Squirtle has a semi spike (Down Air) if the player gets hit by the tip of Squirtles tail. Exactly like Kirbys Down Aif move

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
kirby dair just carries you waaaaaay down. not sure if it's a true spike but you go straight down. squirt's dair sends you at like a 45 degree angle with no di.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Squartle's jab has pretty much no hitstun which is why it's possible to powershield it, but still, it comes out in 1 frame. It's too good not to use.
If its this fast Im still confused as to why I dont see more jab-grabbing, thats too good in my opinion

Adriel

Smash Journeyman
It could work, especially if your opponent is trying to Tap/Smash DI or powershield Squartle's jabs and doesn't expect a grab. Switching between doing the whole jab combo and jab-grabbing would work well.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
wow, it's 1 frame? i knew it was fast, but 1 frame is too good hahaha.

how about the ftilt? how many frames before it hits?

Adriel

Smash Journeyman
Squartle's f-tilt comes out in 4 frames; it's his second fastest ground move.

Kith

Smash Ace
I just did something (By accident lol) that I'm gonna try to use today and see if it's plausible. When enemy is off the stage, near or below the ledge, footstool to down-air, then DI away from the ledge while hitting with the down air. If done correctly, they get hit by the last hit, sent into the stage, and stage-spiked.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Kith that does work but also try just dropping off the edge when they are lower than you use your jump and D-air, same results no need for a footstool and overall just a tad easier. What you trying to do is definitly nicer looking than this combo tho

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
His ftilt is so freaking fast lol. Same speed as sheik's, but less lag after I think

Squartle is just so fast in general

CoonTail

Smash Lord
So basically, Edge guarding with dair causes them to be stage spiked?
Only if the squirtle DI's away from the wall while in the D-air spinning animation. That means that since your being attacked by squirtle's d-air and you are closer to the level then he is youll be sent that direction which in this case results in a level spike. But thats the trick to squirtle's D-air is that you can control whether your enemy will be thrown to the left or right.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Oh, Oh, I found something. Well, we all (should know) that the C-stick will perform aerials in the air right. Well, Squirtle can pretty much rely on both sticks and a single button (tap jump on), but here's something, set the C-stick to attack, IT WORKS (not for me though), How about calling it A-sticking (or is this T-Sticking?)

Bestiarius

Smash Ace
I'm surprised that this hasn't been addressed yet. Is there a list of all of the characters that SQUARTLE can jab-lock?
Hey, Onxy, beware of the random SQUARTLE attacks!

Itburns

Smash Journeyman
I'm surprised that this hasn't been addressed yet. Is there a list of all of the characters that SQUARTLE can jab-lock?
Hey, Onxy, beware of the random SQUARTLE attacks!
squirtle can jablock anybody... its easier with larger characters though.

set ups?
utilt, footstool, DI down the start jabbing.
also any unteched arieal past 60% will cause a bounce that you can capatailise on with a jab lock.

things to take into consideration... uneven terrain will mess up your jablock

Bestiarius

Smash Ace
squirtle can jablock anybody... its easier with larger characters though.

set ups?
utilt, footstool, DI down the start jabbing.
also any unteched arieal past 60% will cause a bounce that you can capatailise on with a jab lock.

things to take into consideration... uneven terrain will mess up your jablock
Then why don't I see it in any vids? Is it banned?

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
well, i would assume that you can jab cancel to all three of squirtle's tilts and a grab, but i don't think you can jab cancel to any of his smashes without the opponent just being able to shield or dodge it in time. all three smashes come out in the 17-19 frame range.

zeta

Smash Journeyman
well, i would assume that you can jab cancel to all three of squirtle's tilts and a grab, but i don't think you can jab cancel to any of his smashes without the opponent just being able to shield or dodge it in time. all three smashes come out in the 17-19 frame range.
i'll still be looking into the different combinations to see what works.

also i've been seeing a lot of people shell shift and the opponent instantly try and punish with fairs or smashes so how bout shell shift into shield grab or short hop air dodge to swith it up.

Top Bottom