• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Squirtle Squad (General Disc.)

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
Literally, if Squirtle's would realize when not to move (while moving with all options normally), the character wouldn't be in any bottom 5 list.
Squirtle gets put in the low tiers on lists because only a few people actually play him at a proficient technical level, and of those few, none are well developed (relative to his potential).

We have yet to fully realize the possibilities of movement, punishment, and approach with this character.

Last edited:

Daftatt

NNID
Daftatt
Long story short, everyone needs to git gud
Lol, yep. My personal strategy is to play squirtle so he never loses his shades, because if I can do that, I'll be invincible. It takes impeccable spacing to do that though.

Regralt

Smash Rookie
I went to my first tournament on Saturday, and my Squirtle got wrecked by a Lucas. Any idea what to do in that MU? My neutral game and edgeguarding sort of sucks since I've really only fought level 9 CPUs up until this point.

coopreme

Smash Cadet
I went to my first tournament on Saturday, and my Squirtle got wrecked by a Lucas. Any idea what to do in that MU? My neutral game and edgeguarding sort of sucks since I've really only fought level 9 CPUs up until this point.
Dude get on net play right now... i've gotten a way better feel for PM when playing with people... the only thing i do with cpu is training room where i can set the speed to 1/2 and practice squirtle AT since he's really quick. Then i speed it up and after about 20 minutes of practice i can now shell shift jump cancel grab easy... But seriously, get on net play - its is really awesome.

Regralt

Smash Rookie
Dude get on net play right now... i've gotten a way better feel for PM when playing with people... the only thing i do with cpu is training room where i can set the speed to 1/2 and practice squirtle AT since he's really quick. Then i speed it up and after about 20 minutes of practice i can now shell shift jump cancel grab easy... But seriously, get on net play - its is really awesome.
I wish I could, but I've got a toaster masquerading as a PC. I've at least managed to get some Squirtle AT stuff down like hydroplane Dsmash, Usmash, grab, Fsmash and the numerous uses of reverse Fsmash.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Eh, netplay is nice and all. Unfortunately my laptop can't handle it. The only practice I get is from going to tournaments and occasional weekly friendlies. Netplay isn't necessary, but it can help those who want more practice more often.

Personally I recommend when you are by yourself to just practice your movement. Wavelands, transfering your momentum from SS during a platform drop, Aqua Jet ledge cancels, hydroplane shenanigans, and whatever else you can think of. Once you start getting all of these down you'll see your nuetral game and punish game greatly improve.

GravyJigster

Smash Rookie
Sup, long time lurker here. Finally got around to getting an account and thought i'd say howdy

Cloudburst

Smash Cadet
May thou Burnsy bless us with his knowledge. How does the Lucas vs. Squirtle go given your experience with Neon?

MattCon5

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I've picked up Squirtle and am working on my ATs but to be honest, I have trouble doing hydroplane u-smash and d-smash. If I try to execute a d-smash it always ends up being a f-smash, or I do a d-smash without sliding at all, and I always end up jumping out of my u-smashes. Am I missing something as far as timing goes, or is there a trick to make this easier?

Daftatt

NNID
Daftatt
Hey guys, I've picked up Squirtle and am working on my ATs but to be honest, I have trouble doing hydroplane u-smash and d-smash. If I try to execute a d-smash it always ends up being a f-smash, or I do a d-smash without sliding at all, and I always end up jumping out of my u-smashes. Am I missing something as far as timing goes, or is there a trick to make this easier?
When you say hydroplane U-smash do you mean SlingJump into jump-canceled up-smash where you move forward, or up-smash coming out of shellshift, because it doesn't make sense that you would jump out of the other one.

As for D-smash try hydropivot D-smash, where you input a quick pivot out of shellshift then D-smash.

MattCon5

Smash Rookie
When you say hydroplane U-smash do you mean SlingJump into jump-canceled up-smash where you move forward, or up-smash coming out of shellshift, because it doesn't make sense that you would jump out of the other one.

As for D-smash try hydropivot D-smash, where you input a quick pivot out of shellshift then D-smash.
Thanks for the tip on d-smash. And I mean u-smash coming out of a shellshift.

Daftatt

NNID
Daftatt
Does anyone else ever wonder why Squirtle sounds like a chain smoker?

I had someone ask me this recently
He is a chain smoker, he got lung cancer, now he fights to the death in gladiatorial arenas to pay his medical bills and support his smoker lifestyle. So remember, every time you lose with squirtle, you're destroying him financially and ruining his dreams SO DON'T

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
He is a chain smoker, he got lung cancer, now he fights to the death in gladiatorial arenas to pay his medical bills and support his smoker lifestyle. So remember, every time you lose with squirtle, you're destroying him financially and ruining his dreams SO DON'T
Then there's ingame Squirtle, which sounds like a bird

Srsly, wtf game freak

_Pixel_

Pink Squirtle is best Squirtle.
Thanks for the tip on d-smash. And I mean u-smash coming out of a shellshift.
Do you have tap jump on?

The upsmash is jump canceled, so you need to either have tap jump on or jump cancel right out of the SS.

Tap jump is a lot easier, trust me.

coopreme

Smash Cadet
Do you have tap jump on?

The upsmash is jump canceled, so you need to either have tap jump on or jump cancel right out of the SS.

wut. I can upsmash out of the shellshift just using the cstick...

MattCon5

Smash Rookie
Do you have tap jump on?

I experimented with turning tap jump off, and realized that tap jump was easier almost immediately, haha. I guess I just need to work on my timing. Thanks guys!

~Dad~

part time gay dad
Most people I've talked to seem to like tap jump on for Squirtle.

I play with it off though because claw is the best thing ever.

coopreme

Smash Cadet
Most people I've talked to seem to like tap jump on for Squirtle.

I play with it off though because claw is the best thing ever.
Tap jump sucks :) [SHOTS FIRED]

nothing worse that going to do and up tilt and accidentally doing a ridiculous squirte flip-with-a-smile jump

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Squirtle players will eventually need to be able to do tilt inputs very accurately for instant standing pivots to cancel shellshift. If thats a problem you have (going for utilt and getting something else) you should nip that problem in the bud now rather than later. It's not tap jumps' fault you are inputting incorrectly. And it really doesnt take that much to get used to it.

Last edited:

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Since I've been practicing for over a year with Tap Jump off I really don't want to make the switch back. I've found some pretty interesting things you can do with it off though, like doing a moonwalk motion but upwards will result in a pivot and it's incredibly easy.

However, I can't stress the importance of learning how to pivot or simply change the direction you're facing when wavedashing/wavelanding. It really is essential to his kit, and it gives you yet another tool for edgeguarding your opponents. In order to accomplish this you will need to learn how to tilt reliably, there is no easy way around this.

Also, who else is excited for the next patch? Squirtle already has great tools for gimping, and this should really help his early game effectiveness (which arguably is lacking atm).

coopreme

Smash Cadet
I dont see how having tapjump on make pivoting easier, i never use it and can pivot with ease just using the control stick.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Since I've been practicing for over a year with Tap Jump off I really don't want to make the switch back. I've found some pretty interesting things you can do with it off though, like doing a moonwalk motion but upwards will result in a pivot and it's incredibly easy.

However, I can't stress the importance of learning how to pivot or simply change the direction you're facing when wavedashing/wavelanding. It really is essential to his kit, and it gives you yet another tool for edgeguarding your opponents. In order to accomplish this you will need to learn how to tilt reliably, there is no easy way around this.

Also, who else is excited for the next patch? Squirtle already has great tools for gimping, and this should really help his early game effectiveness (which arguably is lacking atm).
I've found that you can usually wd someone offstage, hit them with nair, then jump and intercept their jump with another nair then waterfall back to the stage

It's really quite beautiful

Burnsy

Smash Lord
I dont see how having tapjump on make pivoting easier, i never use it and can pivot with ease just using the control stick.
That's not my point. Tilting the control stick up is the same as tilting it to the sides or down in terms of what your do with your thumb. I don't see the advantage of turning tap jump off so long as you don't flub up tilt inputs due to moving the stick too far, just as you should try to avoid flubbing standing pivot inputs by not moving the stick left or right too far.

Last edited:

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
I see an advantage with turning tap jump off if you enjoy playing Mewtwo, but this is the Squirtle boards so yeah lol.

All in all, I decided since I use the C-Stick method to UpSmash and UpB OoS I don't need tap jump on. I think it just comes down to personal preference, but the only thing I've found harder to accomplish with tap jump off is Squirtle's TACUS (yes, I'm a filthy r/squirtle).

coopreme

Smash Cadet
I see an advantage with turning tap jump off if you enjoy playing Mewtwo, but this is the Squirtle boards so yeah lol.

All in all, I decided since I use the C-Stick method to UpSmash and UpB OoS I don't need tap jump on. I think it just comes down to personal preference, but the only thing I've found harder to accomplish with tap jump off is Squirtle's TACUS (yes, I'm a filthy r/squirtle).
Ya i just dont feel like i need tapjump on - maybe somepoint i'll find something that i have to have it on for but overall it's more comfortable just using x

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Well, I want a simple shorthand for that technique and I don't understand how you guys want to refer to it. It's not a hydroplane UpSmash because that would infer that I'm using it while exiting a shell shift. It's more like a Shell Sling JC UpSmash, and SSJCUS just looks wrong lol.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
For other characters, the same input sequence would be called a "reverse usmash".

For Squirtle, we add "hydroplane" into that term to describe the grounded boost of momentum he achieves. So it is called "reverse hydroplane usmash".

The term "hydroplane" itself has existed since Brawl, and while a bit silly sounding, it does make sense and combines well with common tech names to limit the amount of unique terms we need to come up with.

Technically it is cancelling a sling jump into an usmash, but the forward hydroplane usmash is also a jump cancelled usmash and we still call it hydroplane. We also do this with hydroplane fsmash and dsmash, which require pivots. So we determined that hydroplane describes cancelling Squirtle's turnrun into grounded momentum.

One of the trickiest name-related things for me are with hydroplane fsmashes. Since they require a pivot, they can only be hydroplane'd forward (during the rebound), but you are able to move in that direction while fsmashing in either direction. So it's a bit inconsistent to call it a "reverse hydroplane fsmash" when you fsmash in the direction opposite your momentum, since you'll always be moving forward, but I guess I use it and just hope the players I'm talking to understand that with fsmash you can only hydroplane in one direction out of turnrun, but you can start your attack in either direction.

Last edited:

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
But RH-US still looks kinda wonky, and TACUS is relatable to another tech that behaves in a similar fashion the DACUS. I guess I just want a decent shorthand that doesn't confuse the hell out of non squirtle mains.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
For other characters, the same input sequence would be called a "reverse usmash".

For Squirtle, we add "hydroplane" into that term to describe the grounded boost of momentum he achieves. So it is called "reverse hydroplane usmash".

The term "hydroplane" itself has existed since Brawl, and while a bit silly sounding, it does make sense and combines well with common tech names to limit the amount of unique terms we need to come up with.

Technically it is cancelling a sling jump into an usmash, but the forward hydroplane usmash is also a jump cancelled usmash and we still call it hydroplane. We also do this with hydroplane fsmash and dsmash, which require pivots. So we determined that hydroplane describes cancelling Squirtle's turnrun into grounded momentum.

One of the trickiest name-related things for me are with hydroplane fsmashes. Since they require a pivot, they can only be hydroplane'd forward (during the rebound), but you are able to move in that direction while fsmashing in either direction. So it's a bit inconsistent to call it a "reverse hydroplane fsmash" when you fsmash in the direction opposite your momentum, since you'll always be moving forward, but I guess I use it and just hope the players I'm talking to understand that with fsmash you can only hydroplane in one direction out of turnrun, but you can start your attack in either direction.
Hydroplane F smash is when you attack in the opposite direction, forward hydroplane f smash is when you attack in the direction you're hydroplaning.

Top Bottom