• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Squirtle Squad (General Disc.)

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Nonononono... Jumping is a huge commitment in these situations and you have jumpsquat and aren't able to shield.
The concept of the empty pivot is that you regain your main defensive options after one frame (shield, roll, spot dodge and sometimes jump, but not always), while stopping your movement.
Movement is great for throwing out giant hitboxes but you also throw out a giant hurtbox... The afterslide of Squirtle sets up for opponent's punishes after they WD OoS after your aerial. Every bait kinda works if you can't stop your movement quick enough.
And in many situations jumping and turnarounds are too slow.

About jumping, Squirtle's momentum left is often more than your lean/tilt initial horizontal jump mobility (0.4 only which is subpar, as comparison, my main MK has 0.85), so controlling your horizontal momentum with jumps isn't always sufficient.

Literally, if Squirtle's would realize when not to move (while moving with all options normally), the character wouldn't be in any bottom 5 list.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Nonononono... Jumping is a huge commitment in these situations and you have jumpsquat and aren't able to shield.
The concept of the empty pivot is that you regain your main defensive options after one frame (shield, roll, spot dodge and sometimes jump, but not always), while stopping your movement.
Movement is great for throwing out giant hitboxes but you also throw out a giant hurtbox... The afterslide of Squirtle sets up for opponent's punishes after they WD OoS after your aerial. Every bait kinda works if you can't stop your movement quick enough.
And in many situations jumping and turnarounds are too slow.

About jumping, Squirtle's momentum left is often more than your lean/tilt initial horizontal jump mobility (0.4 only which is subpar, as comparison, my main MK has 0.85), so controlling your horizontal momentum with jumps isn't always sufficient.

Literally, if Squirtle's would realize when not to move (while moving with all options normally), the character wouldn't be in any bottom 5 list.
Please understand, most people who use Squrtle atm are Amish, and ignorant to tech. There are probably fewer than 12-15 people who actually use Squirtle's AT.

I really dont think you have a grasp of hydroplaning, and should go learn about it before you claim "stopping is better than moving with Squirtle"

Also if you think a shell sling is slow you aren't doing it right/have no idea what i'm talking about and should go watch Daftatt play.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Please understand, most people who use Squrtle atm are Amish, and ignorant to tech. There are probably fewer than 12-15 people who actually use Squirtle's AT.

I really dont think you have a grasp of hydroplaning, and should go learn about it before you claim "stopping is better than moving with Squirtle"

Also if you think a shell sling is slow you aren't doing it right/have no idea what i'm talking about and should go watch Daftatt play.
About me being not aware of these techniques, you are underestimating me by a lot.
The thing is, my suggested technique is a rather situational one, in a way that moving is better in far more situations than stopping your movement.
However, there are situations, dependant on a huge amount of factors, where the opposite is true. In these situations other options might be too slow (note: by far not in everyone) because you have to deal with an option immediately or face an array of options when the opponent has more variety of pressure-type options to pick from. The mixup in not moving can also be strong because it is unexpected.
Players learn in new layers or patterns or whatever you may call them that keep getting finer and preciser. So a Squirtle player will focus on using hydroplaning etc. before he gets into detail more and figures out when (which applies in less situations) there might be better options. I'm not taking credit away from hydroplaning, but there are always exceptions.
Your comparison of empty pivot is also logicly invalid because pivoting is only availabe in initial dash (before frame 10) while hydroplaning is available in the run animation, so after that. Unless you refer to the crouch-dash-dance setting up for a transition to initial dash and then pivoting.
No need to get defensive, I don't want to argue here... I aplologize if my last statement from the previous post was condescending towards the Squirtle player community or could be interpreted in that way.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Can we like fight with secondaries or something? Squirtle dittos are pretty much the worst thing lol

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Squirtle dittos are super weird because you can't really do Squirtle things to another Squirtle.

Also they take FOREVER.
Just side b into each other til someone beats out the other.
Said person SD's, and the game resumes til only one person is left

EDIt: New Rules
No Items
FD only
Side B only
Jumping while using side B makes you a ***** :troll:

Last edited:

~Dad~

part time gay dad
I'd like to get everyone's thoughts on the Booser MU.

I played one in bracket yesterday and I wanted to see how many times I could bubble him in a row.

I think I might have broken his spirit lol

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Bubble is one of the biggest reasons we have an advantage in that matchup, it completely bypasses his crawl armor.

We also combo him to hell and back, but Bowser is used to that kind of abuse. Poor poor Bowser.

MrHazuki

Smash Ace
At a tournament in Finland, Comeback 1, I placed third. Lost to Android's Charizard (I beat him in Loser's) and Leffen's M2 (2-3).
Use more forward-B.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
In the M2 matchup SideB is pretty useful though I will admit.
The one time I played M2 he would always swat me out of WD with his tail.

I really hope the damn thing gets hurtboxes in the nect update :I

coopreme

Smash Cadet
Anyone got any advice on combos with wd? I'm seeing that how hard you hold it after connect affects where you can hit them with aerials

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Our PM tournament should be starting in about 4ish or 5ish hours. I'll update this post later in the day when I find out a better appx time, but the tournament stream itself should be going live with Brawl or Melee in 2ish hours. I'm sure I'll get a few streamed matches, if anyone cares to watch.

http://www.twitch.tv/azprojectmelee

Edit:
PM doubles are live. PM singles should be soon after them, in about 2 hours or so.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
You can utilize it in so many ways that it becomes unpredictable.
If you just want to centrallize One of Squirtle's less better moves, then fine. Have fun with your mediocrity.

Last edited:

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Not like I'm the best person to be doing this anymore, but we're having our monthly Smash 101 and we do character lessons, which I believe i will be doing a Squirtle lesson, where I will probably mess up a lot of tech anyway, but still tune in! We're going live around 5-5:30 central time www.twitch.tv/windycitysmash

We're not starting lessons until later in the night, but yeah

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
steal diddy's banana, throw banana, RHUS punish the roll. And that's the MU (not really)
http://www.twitch.tv/m/598009
@Drodeka if you watch further you will realize this is the moment when shep started his nosebleed, MY SQUIRTLE IS THAT GOOD. (also it takes him a hilariously long time to notice)

What? Mediocrity? I played 3-2 against both Prof and Leffen in tournament. I'm not bad at PM. >_<
First off, was that with squirtle? On Video?

Withdraw should mainly be used only from the air as an approach that is safe on shield, a retreat (from the air), recovery (short bursts), or a combo extender NEVER AS A MOVEMENT OPTION. And EXTREMELY situationally you use it on the ground (to poke through laser spam or whatever), but there are almost always better options thanks to hydroplaning. That's my two cents on the move

Last edited:
Top Bottom