• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Squirtle Squad (General Disc.)

~Dad~

part time gay dad
We should all just drop this silly turtle character, he doesn't even have a gun.

Give Squirtle a gun.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
We should all just drop this silly turtle character, he doesn't even have a gun.

Give Squirtle a gun.
He's got that gun made of water tho.

Also I agree with Marth not being horrible, I don't have experience vs. Roy, but yeah. Squirtle has the means to weave in and out of Marth's range, and force him into throwing out punishable attacks. It's not an amazing MU by any means, I would say its probably even.

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
Squirtle does so well vs Marth imo
all u just cant see it but i gots the knows against that d00d
For my own pride and the pride of my brethren, I proclaim that every marth Jamwa has ever played is a trash tier casual. Kappa.

On a serious note, I am making headway in the Marth MU, I just need to space heavily, hit and run, and draw out whiffs from him to punish. Also watergun puts in a lot of work, and once I get a grab on marth I can do some good damage. Not to mention hanging from ledge isn't half bad for edgeguarding, you can Nair to semi-spike him as he dolphin slashes, for roy of course that don't work so well.

Last edited:

_Pixel_

Pink Squirtle is best Squirtle.
Thanks for the insight on the Marth matchup Daft, he has been giving me a little bit of trouble. One of my friends locally has a really mean way of getting in my head, it always makes for a good match.

On a side note I was thinking of picking up Roy for a secondary. I forgot who played him, but I was watching Low Teir City 2 and one of the top 8 matches had a fantastic Roy. The movement was crazy smooth.

Also finally went to a local and got 5th in amateurs. I'm okay with that considering that I haven't been to a tourney in a year or so... I'm ready to step my game up.

Daftatt

NNID
Daftatt
Thanks for the insight on the Marth matchup Daft, he has been giving me a little bit of trouble. One of my friends locally has a really mean way of getting in my head, it always makes for a good match.

On a side note I was thinking of picking up Roy for a secondary. I forgot who played him, but I was watching Low Teir City 2 and one of the top 8 matches had a fantastic Roy. The movement was crazy smooth.

Also finally went to a local and got 5th in amateurs. I'm okay with that considering that I haven't been to a tourney in a year or so... I'm ready to step my game up.
That roy you're thinking of is undoubtedly Sethlon, he's in the PMBR, and he is the best roy. I've been running local weeklies for months now and college tournament season is starting so I am super pumped to step up my squirtle game as well, gonna be a good year for the squirtle meta I can tell already.

_Pixel_

Pink Squirtle is best Squirtle.
That roy you're thinking of is undoubtedly Sethlon, he's in the PMBR, and he is the best roy. I've been running local weeklies for months now and college tournament season is starting so I am super pumped to step up my squirtle game as well, gonna be a good year for the squirtle meta I can tell already.
Yeah that was it.

Also I love being back at college as well man. I played most nights till 2 last week up until the tourney. Got some great one on one advice sitting down with the group including a great two hour drive with Reflex to the tourney. Also got some great insight on Squirtle from his perspective and some of the things that he doesn't like about the wittle turtle at the moment.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Daft

Netplat tonight plz ;-;

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Congrats to Dad for making the top 3 Squirtle list, but I'll be taking that spot back once 3.5 comes out ;)
Pfff
Plate would be top 3 Squirtle list once 3.5 comes out, but he has to go learn Snake now because he promised to if there was a Big Boss alt ;-;

sure

BTW, against ICs, grounded bubble is a fantastic way to split them up, it knocks them apart, also Dair sends them in opposite directions.
Yaaaaaayyy

Idk how the dorm internet even works yet, but yay 8u

Edit: Sethlon is lurking

Last edited:

pluto

Smash Cadet
i'm going to my first two locals this weekend and i've done nothing but practice techs and gimmicks and hydroplanes and movements for 5 days straight. let's go.

Daftatt

NNID
Daftatt
Congrats to Dad for making the top 3 Squirtle list, but I'll be taking that spot back once 3.5 comes out ;)
That list is a total farse guys, I see amazing players that deserve to be on it above others all the time but they don't go to tournaments that are streamed. But god damn do I want to make the squirtle section lol :p

Zwarm

Smash Hero
That list is a total farse guys, I see amazing players that deserve to be on it above others all the time but they don't go to tournaments that are streamed. But god damn do I want to make the squirtle section lol :p
I've been on there (until it just updated) since 2.6 and I've barely even played the character since then.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Yea, there's always been a few questionable placings on the top player by character thread. It doesn't really matter though, its evolving as knowledge of players is spread and becoming more "true" over time in my opinion.

The whole thing should be taken with a grain of salt (heh) anyways. It's not intended to be some ego boost thing that makes us directly compare players, but imo it's rather a way for people to find out who a knowledgeable player of a certain character is so they can see examples of how that character is used at higher levels of play. The thread was created at a time when most people really had no clue what players to check out if they were interested in certain characters like ZSS, Yoshi, Squirtle, Diddy, Olimar, Toon Link, Kirby, Etc.

Last edited:

~Dad~

part time gay dad
Yea, there's always been a few questionable placings on the top player by character thread. It doesn't really matter though, its evolving as knowledge of players is spread and becoming more "true" over time in my opinion.

The whole thing should be taken with a grain of salt (heh) anyways. It's not intended to be some ego boost thing that makes us directly compare players, but imo it's rather a way for people to find out who a knowledgeable player of a certain character is so they can see examples of how that character is used at higher levels of play. The thread was created at a time when most people really had no clue what players to check out if they were interested in certain characters like ZSS, Yoshi, Squirtle, Diddy, Olimar, Toon Link, Kirby, Etc.
Exactly.

Daftatt

NNID
Daftatt
Short-Hop-Sling-Jump
B-turnaround-Bubble
Drift-Control-backwards
Fastfall
Full-Jab-String
Grab

EDIT: The jab string into grab is most likely a non-starter, but you could also D-tilt before they tech. Of course none of this works with normal shorthop bubble because the opponent will be too far away from you and you'll never hit them before they can tech.

SH-SJ BTB DC-B FF J123 G (20XX Speak)
Is that a thing? Because I'm thinking if you can land and jab 123 on the opponent they can't tech bubble and you can then grab (ignoring that SDI on the jab string could put them out of grab range), but I need more testing because jab string probably doesn't have enough hitstun to keep them locked for a grab followup. You have to slingjump into bturnaround bubble (Bubble blitz) or else the opponent is sent too far away with bubble and you can't land next to them to reset, also to land so your jab string doesn't send you past the opponent you have to Drift Control backwards at the last moment before you can fast fall.

SH-SJ Nair
Also against all characters of fox's height and taller you can semi-spike them from neutral to offstage with short-hop sling-jump nair as long as you do nair immediately as you jump and you hit them with the move as you rise into the air from your shorthop. That way you hit with the bottom quadrants of nair and can semispike, if they are smart they'll DI down to tech the stage, but it's a great surprise way to get them offstage. That kind of crossup would also work with Bair, but it's a lot harder to get the perfect slingjump and Bair immediately since accidental Drift Control could kill your momentum when you try and shift the stick back across neutral, you could try hitting the c-stick REALLY fast but it's very difficult.

Last edited:

Jamwa

Smash Champion
Can you explain drift control? First time I've ever heard of it.

I hope it's not just moving in the air...

Last edited:

Daftatt

NNID
Daftatt
Can you explain drift control? First time I've ever heard of it.

I hope it's not just moving in the air...
Lol, yep. It's using your characters air speed value to influence their lateral velocity as they move in the air. It's actually really important and requires a lot of precision for squirtle though, with slingjump he can get crazy fast lateral velocity, then his high air speed can be used to position where on the stage he should actually land out of it. The only other way to cancel your lateral momentum would be withdraw, doublejump, or b-reversal, so DC would be the most effective way in those cases out of shorthop.

Last edited:

Burnsy

Smash Lord
The 3 hit jab combo doesn't combo into grab. That's just a missed cue by the opponent if they get grabbed after that. Its a surprising mix-up at best.

Daftatt, I think you overcentralize jab after bubble. Yes, it is fast enough to catch techs, but honestly mixing that in with dsmash, grab, dtilt, or just your average techchasing if they do happen to tech will probably all lead into higher damage punishes overall.

Edit: I see your edit now about the jab combo. Dtilt could work, yea. It'll be safer on hit and confirm into a juggle. I still think its better to mix-up your punishes and be reactive to techs than to just focus on things that will hit before the tech. I think, however, that in a majority of situations jab combo is going to be sub-optimal followup to bubble simply because it doesn't confirm into any additional damage.

Last edited:

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Personally, I find tech chasing with DSmash or landing a grab after Bubble gets me the most mileage. Occasionally mixing in a DTilt or Crawl Attack since they generally have simple follow ups to get them offstage or create an UpAir chain.

Kamarihi

Smash Rookie
Honestly one of the ONLY matchups I have a hard time with is Gannon vs Squirtle because he's so freaking heavy. Five of my hits count as one of his (virtually) so it's hard to zone him.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Squirtle vs Ganondorf is a match of extremes. Squirtle generally can outmaneuver him and has some really strong combos and gimping tools, but with one touch (or more importantly grab) Ganondorf can literally take a stock off of Squirtle. It's really fun to watch and even more so to play.

Strangely, this is one of those matchups where I prefer a little more room to run around and safely water gun. I generally prefer the smaller maps like GHZ or FoD but I feel they aren't really great choices for this matchup.

Last edited:

Jamwa

Smash Champion
I think Skyworld is Squirtle's best stage

Here's some matches if you guys wanna watch. All i do is SD :(
vs Ganon (he doesnt play this game seriously but i let go of my controller the 1st game)
vs Roy
vs Peach (mainly went Lucas but I played squirtle for the 1st match)
also the roy i vsed isnt close to as good as the marth so ye

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Step 1: Learn to play Ganon
Step 2: Use what you learned playing Ganon to improve your Squirtle
Step 3: Beat Ganon

Top Bottom