• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Special moves in competitive play

Master Peach

Smash Ace
Yeah learning to do it, and learning to incorporate it are two different things, sometimes tech's can be harder to do under pressure. L-Cancelling for example, is hard for me when I'm under attack.
That how I felt when I was using it in battle. When I started feeling the pressure, for some reason my fingers would freeze up. That sucked!

darktiamat47

Smash Rookie
The best advice I can probably give for that is just dont be afraid. When it comes down to 1 stock for both players, often times you have the urge to play too conservative and you get afraid to shffl or stop L-canceling b/c of your lack of attacks. DONT BE AFRAID dont hesitate to keep doing what you've been doing if its been working, if you lose it'll make you better, your fingers wont freeze up and it'll become second nature to do it w/e you want. Learning not to choke under pressure is a fantastic quality that seperates good players from great.

JoinHIMinDeath

Smash Rookie
I don't think so, however it's too early to say for sure. I don't think it would be in tournaments if items are turned off considering it's an temporary power up. The option to have it on & off would be awesome though, chances are out of fairness it'll be off for tournaments. If i repeated anyone i apologize, i'm not gonna sit here & read every single reply in this thread. Just stating my input.

th0rn

Smash Lord
lol once you learn all the technical **** tho, it realy becomes about mindgames and beating certain people that you always lose to, assuming you have a regular tournament community. Where you are all at now talkiung about learning stuff, you should be able to get better pretty rapidly just by playing people. I would recommend that when playing someone, every time you KO, instead of taunting, do a few wavedashes and shffl'd aerials.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Tomorrow I'm going whoop some *** in Melee again, I'll just practice WDing, L-cancelling and SHFFLing while my newbie friends kill themselves with items, if anyone comes near I'll give 'em a run-around and dispatch them. They never seem to interfere with my AT practising, I think they are afraid of me :laugh:

So far I've met 2-3 people that have potential enough to beat me, but I play dirty [well, that's what my friends say anyway, I just think I go about getting KOs more seriously]. I hope I see them tomorrow, I'll have to stop the FFA item noobfest for a 1vs1 without items on a stage that isn' utter bull**** to test my skill and their skills. I hope the guys in the arcade allow me to do that lol.
Man you're a good guy. And from the way you post I can tell you have a love of the game. If you were anywhere near my area id invite you to smashfest and even train you a couple days if you wanted. Its just really ****ty when your friends are all nubs who still believe video games have concepts like ''playing dirty'' and ''not having honor''

The game doesnt know playing dirty, the game has no honor. THe game reckognizes who wins, and who loses. Winning, is ALL that matters.

What's ''playing dirty'' to these people? edgehogging? Tilt comboes? Shield grabbing? The **** scrubs come up with never ceases to amaze me, they are a truly intresting gaming world phenomenon.

LinkGadra

Smash Apprentice
In my experiance, anything that you do that causes a scrub to lose is "cheap" or "dishonorable". I'm not above saying that I once believed as they did, but I have changed, as can all scrubs. Don't give up on them just yet!

Justin

Smash Apprentice
Might as well give up on them. The majority of them don't want to change.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Man you're a good guy. And from the way you post I can tell you have a love of the game. If you were anywhere near my area id invite you to smashfest and even train you a couple days if you wanted. Its just really ****ty when your friends are all nubs who still believe video games have concepts like ''playing dirty'' and ''not having honor''

The game doesnt know playing dirty, the game has no honor. THe game reckognizes who wins, and who loses. Winning, is ALL that matters.

What's ''playing dirty'' to these people? edgehogging? Tilt comboes? Shield grabbing? The **** scrubs come up with never ceases to amaze me, they are a truly intresting gaming world phenomenon.
Lol, just today I was playing as ICs and they left items on, the win wasn't as clean as it should have been but I turned them off a couple of matches later.

Then they decided to play in Hyrule. I went along with it once or twice then I restarted every other Hyrule match, since the match that pushed me over the edge was a match that lasted 9 minutes for 5 stocks [they thought 5 was a better number -_-].

I got in a few FD matches, all they wanted to play was Corneria [sp?], either that or some big stage they can run and hide in. Once in a while they decide to team up on me which was the most ****ing annoying thing ever, it wasn't dirty it was just dumb. I lost 2 maybe 3 or 4 matches to this tactic, but they more they tried it the more I adapted to it.

I also managed to play as Samus a lot better after watching a Phanna vid, I look like a noob compared to him but at the arcade they thought I was really good, I think they haven't seen enough vids to see how nooby I am, and how nooby they are [they tried to team up and still lost, nuff said]. Anyway, my Samus is a lot better now that I can do average bomb jumps and incorporate bombs into my combo as well as s. missles and fully charged shots, down smash is your friend ;).

The worst thing of all was when some loud mouth, ****tard of a scrub came in and decided he was the boss and wanted pokeballs on, of course, they put them on very high. I picked Fox [my main] and just shined all of their stupid pokeballs. I seriously need to find a group of people here who play a little more seriously. Yes I still want to have fun but items in almost every single match? Hopefully lady luck will help me out, or I'm screwed.

The best advice I can probably give for that is just dont be afraid. When it comes down to 1 stock for both players, often times you have the urge to play too conservative and you get afraid to shffl or stop L-canceling b/c of your lack of attacks. DONT BE AFRAID dont hesitate to keep doing what you've been doing if its been working, if you lose it'll make you better, your fingers wont freeze up and it'll become second nature to do it w/e you want. Learning not to choke under pressure is a fantastic quality that seperates good players from great.
I normally get a little conservative when I have 1 stock less than my opponent, if I have like 3 [they play with 5, and items, which means ******** deaths are plentiful] stocks less, I just take bigger risks to get the job done, it works most of the time, but once in a while I just forget my goal and die prematurely.

In my experiance, anything that you do that causes a scrub to lose is "cheap" or "dishonorable". I'm not above saying that I once believed as they did, but I have changed, as can all scrubs. Don't give up on them just yet!
I'm trying, I have to get my friends to see through my eyes, one guy C-sticks [excessively] and thinks he has potential to beat me [he did in a FFA when I left him to go after another guy, more on him soon] but has no idea how useless it is.

The other guy [mentioned eariler] thinks he can beat me, even when I killed him 4 times while I only lost one stock and he lost his last stock to some other noob when he decided he didn't want to get owned. He mains YL and only YL, no secondaries, no 'fun mains', no nothing. I don't feel like talking about the other ones, it hurts my head to think about their scruby ways >.>

LinkGadra

Smash Apprentice
Hey, Red Exodus, don't mock the c-stick! From what you've said so far, your friend doesn't know how to use it properly, but for airels(sp?) it's the best way to use them. I know my game stepped up a notch when I started using the c-stick. You should definately try to work it into your game.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I use C-stick too, mainly for aerials, but that guy abuses it, he doesn't even dash cancel and then c-stick, he just wallks up and c-sticks >.<

EDIT: I edited my original post, I didn't realize how it sounded lol. It's funy to watch him play, he shouts "C-stick captain!!!", I walks into obvious stuff too, like Samus' full charged shot.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
LOL ok red exodus. You talk like you know the game, and then you insult the c-stick.

Newsflash : Everyone, EVERYONE in the pro community uses the c-stick. not EXCLUSIVLY, but there are so many uses for it Im not going to go into it right now.

Anyhow, you should just show these people a few pro vids (if there are computers in there) and tell them you want to play 4 stocks, on tournament approved levels. If they say no, laugh at them, call them pathetic and leave. Theres no point playing them under any other circumstance.

Just be patient and wait for brawl/melee to go online. I realllly hope melee goes online, much more so than brawl. If melee goes online then I wont ever leave my house.

Edit : just saw your post. Ok you mean he plays c-stick marth or whatever, just goes around flipping the c stick like a moron. I get what you were saying now

Superstar

Smash Champion
Hmm, Red Exodus, you seem to be in a lot of trouble. In some ways, I'm better off. I always play against my little brother, ONLY. However, he is not a scrub. He does not hate the advanced techs, but he does not really use them [he mains Pikachu, has trouble shorthopping, and is learning wavedash]. He is fairly tricky against me, but he always loses when I use my main.

However, he is not as obsessive with Smash as I am, so I cannot play with him often. Heck, Melee online would be good anyway, but after 6 years, some people should be getting bored with the game.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I have 2 friends that are not scrubs, they were like rivals to each other and students [lol] to me, I never really taught them anything other than the basics [I let them develop skills on their own]+ but without a GC we can't train, they both have a PS2 and I got one recently [ps3 is too expensive and lacks games] so none of us can play smash unless we go to great lengths.

I heard a 3rd party group made Melee online and it sucked because they didn't have good servers so games desynched and lagged a lot. I wish Nintendo tried to get online much sooner otherwise this online thing would be much easier.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I think that's what he means, big N is new to this and I would hate for Brawl to be a test subject for online.

xTOXNx

Smash Apprentice
Theres no point playing them under any other circumstance.

If melee goes online then I wont ever leave my house.
hmmmm...no point....Maybe playing for fun?

You'd never leave your house? But I thought you life was so goooood you were in a band and OMG you smoke weed. Rebel.

Seriously Dylan who the **** are you? I doubt anyone has heard of you, and even if they have that doesnt give you the right to call people names. Id LOVE for some proof of you doing well in a tournament? What so called "pros" were at this tournament of which you speak of.

You know what items were originally in tournaments so you just made yourself look like an asshat. This place isent just for "serious" smashers you *******. Now can you please post without every other sentece either flaming someone or saying about how much better you are then everyone else.

I seriously love it, everyonce In a while someone will hear about here from gamefaqs. They'll come over and try and act like there pro with there attitude.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I doubt he's gonna look at this thread again, those posts are old and he's a changed person, unless you provoke him, a lot.

mario-man

Smash Lord
He is no longer arrogant. If you would actually read his posts, you would know that. I'm fed up with people calling Dylan arrogant when he is not anymore.

Superstar

Smash Champion
The reason that people still think he is as arrogant as he was before [still slightly, using general insults, but at least he is no longer flaming people left and right anymore] is because people only read the first few posts, MAYBE the last few posts, and then post. Its common, but since so many people do it, and its done usually without obvious proof, its often overlooked.

Of course, I still would like to see one of his match vids.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
hmmmm...no point....Maybe playing for fun?

You'd never leave your house? But I thought you life was so goooood you were in a band and OMG you smoke weed. Rebel.

Seriously Dylan who the **** are you? I doubt anyone has heard of you, and even if they have that doesnt give you the right to call people names. Id LOVE for some proof of you doing well in a tournament? What so called "pros" were at this tournament of which you speak of.

You know what items were originally in tournaments so you just made yourself look like an asshat. This place isent just for "serious" smashers you *******. Now can you please post without every other sentece either flaming someone or saying about how much better you are then everyone else.

I seriously love it, everyonce In a while someone will hear about here from gamefaqs. They'll come over and try and act like there pro with there attitude.
well for one thing the never leaving my house was a joke, since I'm a melee addict. I never really claimed to be some sort of drug using rebel, lol I'm a college student with a metal band and a great intrest in video games and I happen to be a mild stoner (screws with studies so I don't abuse that stuff)

Well the tournament I recently went to was this one

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=97867

I managed to get out of my pool but unfortunatly faced the guy who eventually won the tournament in brackets, and got knocked out by yet another good fox player in the losers brackets, so I placed last.

I don't claim to be on top of the pro scene though lol, Im very humble and grateful to smash with anyone who is of superior skill to me, best way to learn.

I know for a fact I am improving though for yesterday I smashed with the top 2 guys on the Eastern Canada power rankings (Bam and Vwins) both incredible players who just a month ago 4 stocked me consistantly without effort, yesterday however the matches were somewhat close sometimes, 4 stock other times. And I even managed to win a match, like I said before I am not stupid enough to presume I'm 1337 because I beat a good player ONCE, but rather I take it as a sign of encouragement to keep practicing.

I've made about 300 posts.. I'd say about 20-30 of them were really arrogant and just generally ''pushing it'' the rest I'd consider valid discussion.

Once again, I love how I get accused of something, like being an arrogant jerk persay, and then my accuser will portray the very same traits they accuse me of in their posts, with blatant insults, and intolerance of me in general. You my good sir are a hypocrite.

Think about it : ''Oh my god, you ****ing jerk. You insult everybody, I hate you for attacks on other posters and arrogance in general, despite me doing the exact same thing in this very statement'' Hypocricy.. :ohwell:

Also, I didn't hear about this forum from gamefaqs, I've been reading it for 3 years, but was always afraid to sign up because I didn't think I was good enough to post my opinions about smash, and was also afraid that I would be called a n00b a whole bunch (which of course I was) so I refrained from posting on these boards until recently since I just joined up in the montreal competitive scene (good community, some really strong players)

Happy smashing ;)

you didnt think this through said:
Now can you please post without every other sentece either flaming someone or saying about how much better you are then everyone else.
*1 post later*

seriously said:
K i just wont step foot into the brawl section again. Filled with a bunch of people with a gamefaqs IQ
Tying in to my previous argument about you being guilty of the very things you accuse me of.

xTOXNx

Smash Apprentice
afraid that I would be called a n00b
You were afraid of being called a n00b yet you called people n00bs and in your info box it says n00b go die.

okay I know I said I whoulden't come back but if those were you first posts I did not realize since I did not see any of your other post. I am sorry for the missunderstanding.

And yes happy smashing ;)

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
You were afraid of being called a n00b yet you called people n00bs and in your info box it says n00b go die.

okay I know I said I whoulden't come back but if those were you first posts I did not realize since I did not see any of your other post. I am sorry for the missunderstanding.

And yes happy smashing ;)
haha the location isn't serious.. it's something I snagged off these boards..

This guy said wavedashing and shffling were ''overrated'' lol ok MAYBE wavedashing, but DEFINATLY NOT SHFFLING!!!

So some guy responded with Noob, go die. It made me laugh a lot, great response, I love it.

And yeah, it makes sense because of my somewhat arrogant views on newbs, I was afraid of being flamed by people like myself hahha, since I knew if I was pro and I saw noob me posting some noob stuff then I would tell him off.

I didn't really have anything to ... say.. really I just wanted to read back when I found these forums, check out videos, read guides I felt no need to post.

I signed up here mostly to communicate with my city's community but I also became addicted to the brawl section after making my thread which is excessivly long now.

I was being arrogant and newbie bashing, was fun for awhile but then I realized that if I had respect for the community (which I do) I wouldn't be hard on ignorant people or newbies but rather would just try to explain where they are misinformed and try to help them out.

However, I still won't tolerate scrubs.. Whiners.. I have no problem with newbies (we were all newbs once) Scrubs are different, hell I've met pro scrubs I don't like them any better. The ''Wavedashing is a glitch, thats cheap, etc etc'' whiney people I will continue to reply to with condenscending remarks implying that they are idiots, though now I am more tactful and you probably won't catch me saying ''you're an idiot'' It's against the rules afterall :laugh:

Anyhow yeah I can understand fully TonnX why you felt inclined to try to provoke me, but I figured with a calm response like these two I could get you to better understand where I'm coming from.

Special moves in competitive play? NO

Icy_Eagle

Smash Journeyman
You know Dylan, for some time i've been holding myself back to either flame back at you or ask why you posted so rudely, and it clearly paid off since I now actually like you :)

And I understand this "have nothing to say" thing, I'm like that myslef (well I'm more like reading whole threads regardless of how long they are :psycho: )

linkw00t

Smash Journeyman
Bah Dylan isn't a bad guy, he just likes metal. Everyone who comes here tends to rudely or not, degrade everyone else's smash skills. Because everyone wants to be the best, and "everyone can beat their friends."

Tera253

Smash Ace
haha the location isn't serious.. it's something I snagged off these boards..

This guy said wavedashing and shffling were ''overrated'' lol ok MAYBE wavedashing, but DEFINATLY NOT SHFFLING!!!

So some guy responded with Noob, go die. It made me laugh a lot, great response, I love it.

And yeah, it makes sense because of my somewhat arrogant views on newbs, I was afraid of being flamed by people like myself hahha, since I knew if I was pro and I saw noob me posting some noob stuff then I would tell him off.

I didn't really have anything to ... say.. really I just wanted to read back when I found these forums, check out videos, read guides I felt no need to post.

I signed up here mostly to communicate with my city's community but I also became addicted to the brawl section after making my thread which is excessivly long now.

I was being arrogant and newbie bashing, was fun for awhile but then I realized that if I had respect for the community (which I do) I wouldn't be hard on ignorant people or newbies but rather would just try to explain where they are misinformed and try to help them out.

However, I still won't tolerate scrubs.. Whiners.. I have no problem with newbies (we were all newbs once) Scrubs are different, hell I've met pro scrubs I don't like them any better. The ''Wavedashing is a glitch, thats cheap, etc etc'' whiney people I will continue to reply to with condenscending remarks implying that they are idiots, though now I am more tactful and you probably won't catch me saying ''you're an idiot'' It's against the rules afterall :laugh:

Anyhow yeah I can understand fully TonnX why you felt inclined to try to provoke me, but I figured with a calm response like these two I could get you to better understand where I'm coming from.

Special moves in competitive play? NO
fool, go die. Special moves would totally own any Shfflers or wavedashers.

~Tera253~

shazbot

Smash Apprentice
Since the special moves would work more or less like the hammer (see: free kills) with wii graphics, and i'm assuming that you can't change/know where the super move item spawns, special moves should not be in the game since they would add a random element that neither player has control of.

it's hard to read toxn's spelling

Wrath`

Smash Master
I remember how my remarks ended up in a skills flame war(Can't you call it dissing?).Anyway there are also moves that are random like g&w's hammer and peach's onions move

buddy9246

Smash Ace
Next to the circle shaped square on the far side o
Those actually take some timing to use. Instead of getting a hammer and run around like a drunk hobo. The onion isn't garenteed and might not even happen in the game. The onion is luck as well as the hammer. The special move is: OMG! THE ITEM! LET ME GET IT AND KILL YOU ALL! AHAHAHAH!:psycho:

Razgriz

Smash Journeyman
Toshiba, have you ever heard of Puzzle Fighter? In that game, the closer you are to losing, the better your attacks become. It's not enough to let a complete amature beat a skilled opponent, but it makes matches between equally skilled players really cool to watch, with a lot of going back and forth.

I realize that Smash isn't Puzzle Fighter, but I'm all for anything that makes match videos even more amazing.
Wow this post is contrary to my very soul. Giving the loser an advantage so that when you have to fairly evenly matched characters you can't even tell who's better anymore. Way to defeat the purpose of the game.

How are we afraid if we are the ones accsepting them?
You're like 9 years old aren't you?

Razgriz

Smash Journeyman
No hopes of winning?SURE thats why i did better than you expected.:p Im going to write down all the people i need to play on some papper.And about the not having a wii yet buddy,ummmmmmmmmm you dont ethier.
Do I smell a money match?

EDIT:

Well... It seems I should have read the whole thread before I wasted my time. You guys did an excellent job of putting this guy in his place way before I came along.

EDIT:

Hahaha Smash tourneys in school. After learning advanced tech's I've been able to improve my game quite a bit, I lost to a high skilled n00b Mario so I went on a murderous path of vengeance.

Note: Anyone who can't wavedash should be shot, it took me about half an hour to have it down perfectly, and maybe 10 or so matches with some of my buddies 2v1'ing me to get my dodge game down. I play as Marth BTW. :p Like every other n00b I used to main Link.

As far as SHFFL goes, it was hard as HELL to learn. I still don't have it down perfectly.

Also, when I lost to the Mario, we were using items. And I noticed he was depending on them QUITE a bit, Pokeballs, hearts, bombs, ack. **** that in the future, I'm going to play him soon and see the look on his face when I do a badass juggle combo with marth. ^_^
Do you know who Aniki is?

EDIT:

Ya sorry about the whole triple post thing. I was kind of reading through the thread and posting as I went. Then I got to the last page and was like... Oops... My bad yo.

Top Bottom