• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Special moves in competitive play

Master Peach

Smash Ace
I am not afraid of not having items in a match. I am a very good and competitive player with peach. Sometimes my brothers beats me alot and sometimes I beat him alot in matches. Fact is I really don't care if the brawl move isn't in a tournament. That not my concern here. What I am concerned about is the fact that you guys say altogether is that brawl moves won't make for good competitive play which your wrong about.

If the people who are controlling the tournament decide that they don't want brawl moves in them by all means take them out. I won't care I'll still play in the tournament and see how far may skills take me.

But if in other tournaments they allow you to use the Smah item I'll still enter. Having the brawl move in would just make things a bit more complicated for the players. And I'm still willing to how far my skills take me in that tournament.

I don't go to tournaments expecting to win the whole thing. I mean that would be good if I did, but thats not likely to happen. I just want to see how I stack up to everyone else. I could face a pro and beat him (Which I've done before.), or come close to beating him. This way more people will know who I am and how hard I play.

Wrath`

Smash Master
Ploblem is buddy,I never had a gannon jigg match with you yet and the c stick is my falco way and it seems to do the trick.Gannon is not a person i c stick with.

And i dont truly care much about 1 on 1.None of you can beat me in 4stock,4player party.Just ask buddy,i win evry time

Banksya

Smash Ace
Ploblem is buddy,I never had a gannon jigg match with you yet and the c stick is my falco way and it seems to do the trick.Gannon is not a person i c stick with.

And i dont truly care much about 1 on 1.None of you can beat me in 4stock,4player party.Just ask buddy,i win evry time

LOL do you realize that you just friggen OWNED YOURSELF.

Toshiba

Smash Apprentice
How old are you anyway koarin? You really have absolutely no idea what you are talking about so please get off the internet now. Your opinion is not valid in the slightest.

Wrath`

Smash Master
Final words:I think it would be cool if they had the spec. moves in tournys.
I dont see why not.Pros will be pros and n00bs will be n00bs weather or not there are spec. moves in tournys.

About c sticking.It's easier and your doing the same move no matter what you say.

Banksya

Smash Ace
****loads of people use the cstick including pros. the issue is the 4 player FFA. You do realize that FFA is the ultimate noob variation of the game?

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
****loads of people use the cstick including pros. the issue is the 4 player FFA. You do realize that FFA is the ultimate noob variation of the game?
Funny, if I had posted this, Id have 3 pages of people telling me to calm down and stop being a jerk. Man, like 60% of you are alright people but the other 40%.. jesus christ.

Wrath`

Smash Master
i got better in 1 on 1 using free for all,because it teaches you how to control the chaos and its fun.

I'm proably high intemediat when it comes to one on one.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
i got better in 1 on 1 using free for all,because it teaches you how to control the chaos and its fun.

I'm proably high intemediat when it comes to one on one.
High intermediate? 5$ says at a tournament youd be 4 stocked by everyone in your pool by the way you talk about the game. Do you ever go to smashfests? Do you ever play with people of great skill (that aren't your ''amazingly good friends that you smash with'') or whatever? How often do you play smash?

I think high intermediate is a bit of an excessive rating to give to someone like you, sorry. I've never seen you play but you sound like a plain old noob to me.

Gannon is not a person i c stick with.
I guess you've never pulled off a ganon dair spike without killing yourself, then as without the cstick its pretty much impossible not to fast fall or DI your dair, or any other airiel attack for that matter. DIing in the direction of your chosen attack = obvious. Being obvious = not a good mindgame. Use the stick with ALL your airiels so you can DI as you wish with the control stick. :)

Toshiba

Smash Apprentice
High intermediate would be people who are ranked about 10 on their states power rankings id say. Are you ranked something around that?

zerosin

Smash Apprentice
Well, this is such a nice conversation.
Back to the controversial subject:
I should stop adding my two cents in here because we don't know **** about the workings of the special moves. Sure, we saw cinematics, but that doesn't mean they're included.
Now, I'm not saying that they should be in tourneys either. I don't know their function and legitimate players (so, not Koarin, but legitimate players) are pretty conservative about items in tourneys.

Banksya

Smash Ace
high intermediate lololol if I'm ranked 12 in New England, that makes me intermediate probly not even high. I would say you are advanced-noob. meaning you can probly beat noobier noobs. >_>

p.s. dylan only speaks the truth

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Koarin owned himself a page behind. I like 1 vs 1s with no items to test skill but I don't hav a GC anymore so I don't get to test anyone's skill unless it's in a FFA with items, which barely tests skills at all. I still come out on top a lot, but I play characters I'm not so good with for fun.

Wrath`

Smash Master
high intermediate lololol if I'm ranked 12 in New England, that makes me intermediate probly not even high. I would say you are advanced-noob. meaning you can probly beat noobier noobs. >_>

p.s. dylan only speaks the truth
]Fine if h intermediat seemed right you(in my book it's in the midle)

Out 0f 0-100 i'll give myself 56 and if your top 12 in NE it makes you in the high 70's,i'm just above the middle.

Advance n00b?You keep thinking that:******:

Wrath`

Smash Master
Town idiot huh?Mabey on this thread,but we can't tell real skills until you face sombody,so i cant judge your skills,and you cant judge mine.

Toshiba

Smash Apprentice
How exactly do you relate town idiot to skills? You are the town idiot regardless of whether you play like ken or like a quadrapoligic.

With that statement i was refering to the fact that you are basicly ******** and that i wouldnt be surprised if you had downs.

Ok wait now im confused. You consider yourself high intermediate, yet a guy who you claim "has no skills" is better than you. Wouldnt that make you below average?

buddy9246

Smash Ace
Next to the circle shaped square on the far side o
You have no skills ether.Makes no diffence weather yo or me say it.
So..., If I have no skills, yet I beat you in a tourney ( at school) and I can beat you using jigglypuff, how can you consider yourself better? And I actually won't say "I have no skills" because it is not true.

TWOK: I never said I was better, I'm just saying you have no skills.

^^ the above message has better grammer and such than that of the original TWOK.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
]Fine if h intermediat seemed right you(in my book it's in the midle)

Out 0f 0-100 i'll give myself 56 and if your top 12 in NE it makes you in the high 70's,i'm just above the middle.

Advance n00b?You keep thinking that:******:
Look, every post you make just digs your noob hole further. The fact that you have little to no grasp on the english language doesn't help either. I'm no grammar nazi about missed periods and the like, but bad grammar aside, you have trouble expressing yourself in an intelligent manner.

Why even keep posting in this thread? It's just going to get you owned over, and over until you realize that you're most likely one of the worst smashers on these forums, your opinions are rather stupid and you don't seem to understand the game very well, sorry.

This thread is -********-

1. No items in tournament play
2. Special attacks (as far as we know) are caused by an item

Logic then of course dictates that special attacks will not be in competitive play, aside from the ''tourneys'' you hold at your house with all your nublet friends and talk about how good you guys are, despite never having been to a real smash gathering in your lives.

GG. No re.

Banksya

Smash Ace
Unfortuantely when power rankings come out they are only going up to 15, i believe sometime in April, so you can't really prove you are 56 >_>

but whatever.

Wrath`

Smash Master
Unfortuantely when power rankings come out they are only going up to 15, i believe sometime in April, so you can't really prove you are 56 >_>

but whatever.
He's my freind,so we always say to eachother we have no skills.
And when brawl is on wifi(hopefully)I will show my undouted skills.

Banksya

Smash Ace
where do you live? Just go to a tournament, a real one. I go to tournamentrs from Maine all the way down to Maryland in June. So if you go anywhere on the East Coast then I should see you somewhere, and you should be playing good people. Unless your 12 years old or something.

buddy9246

Smash Ace
He's my freind,so we always say to eachother we have no skills.
And when brawl is on wifi(hopefully)I will show my undouted skills.
Yeah, we are friends. (believe it or not). I say you have no skills, you say I have no skills, but which one is true? lol. And when brawl does come out, you better have a wii to play it on. just focus on getting a wii. (guy plays games without having the game system first.. :dizzy:

Wrath`

Smash Master
14.And my mom has no car,so thats why i hope wifi brawl will be true.So i can play other people than my friends.

buddy9246

Smash Ace
where do you live? Just go to a tournament, a real one. I go to tournamentrs from Maine all the way down to Maryland in June. So if you go anywhere on the East Coast then I should see you somewhere, and you should be playing good people. Unless your 12 years old or something.
He wouldn't go to a tourney because he has no hope in winning. I myself live in the same city and don't go to tourneys either. ( It would be nice to a tourney other than the school though, :ohwell: )

Wrath`

Smash Master
No hopes of winning?SURE thats why i did better than you expected.:p Im going to write down all the people i need to play on some papper.And about the not having a wii yet buddy,ummmmmmmmmm you dont ethier.

buddy9246

Smash Ace
No hopes of winning?SURE thats why i did better than you expected.:p Im going to write down all the people i need to play on some papper.And about the not having a wii yet buddy,ummmmmmmmmm you dont ethier.
Actually, the people at the tourney were worst than I expected. I never said I had a wii, koarin. ( would someone like to let me "borrow" there wii. :) )

Banksya

Smash Ace
Yes, without going to tourneys, you have to realzie you don;t know how far skill can go. Before I went to tournaments I thought I was pretty good, but after playing people like PC Chris, KoreanDJ, Wes, M2K etc you realize that there are so many things you will need to work on. I've come a long way since I started going and STILL there is very little chance I will ever beat one of those people in a tournament in the near future. There are also a whole slew of people not as good as them but still incredibly good, and basically without going to big tournaments you will never really know how good you are or be able to rate yourself.

Wrath`

Smash Master
Yeah i can get a big head,but i know i'm somewhat decent.And buudy is the shine addict(he does have skills).Thank god the argument is over. One question why is a FFA considered n00bish,i think it's preety fun.

Banksya

Smash Ace
It is fun, but its for casual gamers, not competitive play. Back in the beginning of tournaments they actually did use items, but when **** like people winning by bombs dropping on the others guy head and stuff, it was viewed as random. Also FFA is random as the outcome depends on who fights who, who gangs up on who etc etc. Skill only goes so far in it. But can be fun obviously, in a chaotic sort of way. for some people at least, I don't really enjoy it myself.

darktiamat47

Smash Rookie
b/c FFA's dont require any skill. Someone could bring an opponent to 70% and oh look at that someone else killed him and you b/c you werent paying attention. Not to mention anyone could run to one side of the map, hide there till everyones stock ran low and then start fighting. Theres way too many X factors in FFA play. 1 on 1 requires skill, no X factors other than what you and your opponent bring to the table.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I wouldn't say FFAs take no skill, I'd say they take far less skill than 1 vs 1. I am one of the best smashers at the arcade I go to, I gauge skills when 2 people die in FFAs, normally it's me and someone who has good skill or someone I decide to spare left to kill. I don't like to gauge skills from the 1 vs 1 part in FFAs but I don't really have a choice.

Next time I find a good player there I'll challenge them to 1 on 1 with no items to really determine skill.

P.S. No tournaments are held here, so the arcade is the next best thing.

Master Peach

Smash Ace
Yes, without going to tourneys, you have to realzie you don;t know how far skill can go. Before I went to tournaments I thought I was pretty good, but after playing people like PC Chris, KoreanDJ, Wes, M2K etc you realize that there are so many things you will need to work on. I've come a long way since I started going and STILL there is very little chance I will ever beat one of those people in a tournament in the near future. There are also a whole slew of people not as good as them but still incredibly good, and basically without going to big tournaments you will never really know how good you are or be able to rate yourself.
What he says is so true. :)

buddy9246

Smash Ace
It is fun, but its for casual gamers, not competitive play. Back in the beginning of tournaments they actually did use items, but when **** like people winning by bombs dropping on the others guy head and stuff, it was viewed as random. Also FFA is random as the outcome depends on who fights who, who gangs up on who etc etc. Skill only goes so far in it. But can be fun obviously, in a chaotic sort of way. for some people at least, I don't really enjoy it myself.
I never realized that going to tourneys can actually improve your gaming. FFA does have its own skill level though. It tests your abilities against evasions, attacking, combos, etc while playing against 3 other players. If you chose to hide, then you can hide until someone realizes, "hey! get over here!.''

Top Bottom