• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SOURCE: Solid Snake Will Not Return To Smash + More..

Was it a good decision not to add Snake to Smash 4?

• Yes

Votes: 128 37.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 51 15.0%
  • No

Votes: 162 47.5%

• Total voters

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
People are ridiculous because they don't have the same subjective thought on the roster as yours?
And as much as I "dislike" Dark Pit, to state your negative opinion of him as a solid fact everyone has to obey is too far.

I don't trust this "source" but I'm not surprised that Snake was cut.
They are being ridiculous in stating the roster was bad only because a few select characters didn't get in. Sure there is some characters people wont like. But some people in this thread have gone as far to say Sakurai should step down for not including said character.

Don't put words in my mouth, I did not say that Dark Pit being a bad character is fact. I said that "the only newcomer I have a problem with is dark Pit", never said that it was a fact.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Just black I saw. I think red was the cutscene, and black is specific to Snake, right? Or is the other way around?
When a guard sees him it's red. It does look similar to the mgs one's though.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I thought the SSE used the same design? I mean, maybe as an homage to it.

I dunno. Interesting.
There is one thing I can say, it looks like the exclamation marks in brawl on shadow moses.:

Idk, maybe this could mean something.

There are also exclamation marks in smash run, but they don't look like the render:

Last edited:

Pirate Goomba

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BackburningPyro
3DS FC
3969-6919-4080
Switch FC
2859 5488 3187
Snake should appear more on Nintendo platforms first. Snake Eater 3D and Metal Gear Solid I think on GCN? Sonic and Megaman had more appearances.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
There is one thing I can say, it looks like the exclamation marks in brawl on shadow moses.:

Idk, maybe this could mean something.

There are also exclamation marks in smash run, but they don't look like the render:
Well, that explains where the render came from, then. It probably has more than one color option, so the black one was shown in the current data dump. Weird, regardless.

Guess we'll have to wait and see. The idea he planned to have him in, but had to cut some assets when the plans didn't fall through(the exclamation point not being one of them) is possible.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Well, that explains where the render came from, then. It probably has more than one color option, so the black one was shown in the current data dump. Weird, regardless.

Guess we'll have to wait and see. The idea he planned to have him in, but had to cut some assets when the plans didn't fall through(the exclamation point not being one of them) is possible.
Yeah that's what I think.Though I'm pretty sure the smash run "!" and the render "!" are different. The base looks like a trapezoid in smash run rather than a square and the line is thinner.

Well, hope we can find out soon.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah that's what I think.Though I'm pretty sure the smash run "!" and the render "!" are different. The base looks like a trapezoid in smash run rather than a square and the line is thinner.

Well, hope we can find out soon.
Compare 'em? Also, the render could be of the base model, while it was moved at different angles in the actual game. It might be one in the same.

EnigmaticKnight

Smash Apprentice
At least, he still held the title of being the first rated M character to appeared in Smash. Gonna missed using Snake, though.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Snake should appear more on Nintendo platforms first. Snake Eater 3D and Metal Gear Solid I think on GCN? Sonic and Megaman had more appearances.
That's true, but tell me what was the last Mega Man or Sonic that Miyamoto was involved in?
Edit: sorry if I sounded hostile I didn't mean to. :p

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Compare 'em? Also, the render could be of the base model, while it was moved at different angles in the actual game. It might be one in the same.
Yeah the only thing I can say is different is the base of the exclamation other than that they're similar.
It seems like the "!" in smash run could be a nod to metal gear franchise. Who knows.
Huh? What does Miyamoto got to do with this?
Miyamoto worked on twin snakes.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yeah the only thing I can say is different is the base of the exclamation other than that they're similar.
It seems like the "!" in smash run could be a nod to metal gear franchise. Who knows.

Miyamoto worked on twin snakes.
Oh. So that's why we have Yoshi in that game? Just for that cameo?

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Oh. So that's why we have Yoshi in that game? Just for that cameo?
If your asking if Miyamoto was only a part of it for the cameo then no. He was a big part of the game, actually he was the one that approached Kojima about it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I can try comparing the two via paint.NET if you want.
I think it's a good idea. The more we find out about the development, the better. That, and if we can confirm whether this article is fake or not.

Albeit, whatever the result is, I'll accept it. It's just cool to know. :)

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I think it's a good idea. The more we find out about the development, the better. That, and if we can confirm whether this article is fake or not.

Albeit, whatever the result is, I'll accept it. It's just cool to know. :)

here is my attempt at a comparison. (Note: I gave the "!" a green shade because grey was too hard to see."
I was able to scale the line almost perfectly,just the little edge didn't get in.
The base however, I couldn't resize to fit without changing the line of the "!" unless I separately resized the base and line. So I think the bases are maybe different. Someone else could try to do a comparison if they like. It's possible that these two "!" maybe different. I noticed in the ganondorf challenger card, there were two "!"'s at the end. One with a square and another with a circle. can say confidentiality that the render definitely the same from brawl.
Maybe the "!" in smash run is nod to the metal gear franchise? Maybe indirect representation?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

here is my attempt at a comparison. (Note: I gave the "!" a green shade because grey was too hard to see."
I was able to scale the line almost perfectly,just the little edge didn't get in.
The base however, I couldn't resize to fit without changing the line of the "!" unless I separately resized the base and line. So I think the bases are maybe different. Someone else could try to do a comparison if they like. It's possible that these two "!" maybe different. I noticed in the ganondorf challenger card, there were two "!"'s at the end. One with a square and another with a circle. can say confidentiality that the render definitely the same from brawl.
Maybe the "!" in smash run is nod to the metal gear franchise? Maybe indirect representation?
Or a very old render not used for the new one. We found what might be the Ice Climbers real cheer in the data, meaning they missed a few things when they tried to remove a lot of data of things not actually finished.

Good job. :) I honestly do think now he planned Snake, but something happened. It could be a time factor, or executive meddling.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Or a very old render not used for the new one. We found what might be the Ice Climbers real cheer in the data, meaning they missed a few things when they tried to remove a lot of data of things not actually finished.

Good job. :) I honestly do think now he planned Snake, but something happened. It could be a time factor, or executive meddling.
Thanks. It's also interesting to note the "!" is transparent, so I guess it could be any color.

Most likely executive meddling if he's gone and not being held as a dlc character or anything. 3rd parties are most likely a high priority on the list. There was a debug menu leak on miiverse that mentioned "metal gear solid" Most of the games on the list have been confirmed(except for mgs,metroid,and final fantasy)
I think it signifies they were in talks about a metal gear game in wii u. Maybe one of the 2 pulled out of the deal, causing snake to dropped. Who knows.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Thanks. It's also interesting to note the "!" is transparent, so I guess it could be any color.

Most likely executive meddling if he's gone and not being held as a dlc character or anything. 3rd parties are most likely a high priority on the list. There was a debug menu leak on miiverse that mentioned "metal gear solid" Most of the games on the list have been confirmed(except for mgs,metroid,and final fantasy)
I think it signifies they were in talks about a metal gear game in wii u. Maybe one of the 2 pulled out of the deal, causing snake to dropped. Who knows.
I do remember some issues about some Metal Gear games not being made for the Nintendo systems. Executive meddling is a reasonable conclusion. Maybe if lucky, DLC can happen. While I didn't severely care about Snake(besides his buttocks. Mmm...), I dislike all cuts. The only one I am currently fine with is Roy due to another Roy being playable via an Alt. Marth now has a costume with his clothes, so it's not that bad.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I do remember some issues about some Metal Gear games not being made for the Nintendo systems. Executive meddling is a reasonable conclusion. Maybe if lucky, DLC can happen. While I didn't severely care about Snake(besides his buttocks. Mmm...), I dislike all cuts. The only one I am currently fine with is Roy due to another Roy being playable via an Alt. Marth now has a costume with his clothes, so it's not that bad.
I'm also okay with young link because toon link kinda is his successor. I feel a little bit better now knowing there is some good evidence it wasn't sakurai's decision. Hope there is dlc snake..
I am curious as to what sound the "!" in smash run makes. I wonder if it's similar to MG sound. Doubt it, but I am curious.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm also okay with young link because toon link kinda is his successor. I feel a little bit better on this cut now knowing there is some good evidence it wasn't sakurai's decision.
I am curious as to what sound the "!" in smash run makes. I wonder if it's similar to MG sound. Doubt it, but I am curious.
Before the Transformation cut, he could be Masked.

But eh. I can't wait to see that sound too.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Before the Transformation cut, he could be Masked.

But eh. I can't wait to see that sound too.
I guess we could try contacting someone with the game and see what they say.

Last edited:

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
They are being ridiculous in stating the roster was bad only because a few select characters didn't get in. Sure there is some characters people wont like. But some people in this thread have gone as far to say Sakurai should step down for not including said character.

Don't put words in my mouth, I did not say that Dark Pit being a bad character is fact. I said that "the only newcomer I have a problem with is dark Pit", never said that it was a fact.
Well, there are people on the opposite spectrum that only like the roster because a few select characters got in.
The people that will enjoy the roster for all that it offers no matter what are really in the minority.

And while it is ridiculous that some people hate the roster because a few characters didn't make the cut, maybe it's because they don't see the appeal/don't care about the ones who did.

Strofirko

Smash Master
Warning Received
I will miss Snake,his moveset and the ties of smash fanbase with metal gear fanbase,but in a situation like this,nintendo did the right thing.
Business scream louder than fellings nowadays,and paying for the use of a character with no profit for the game,would make no sense to nintendo.
I wish lucky to metal gear fans from now on,and wait they will get their beloved character in the fighting crossover game from the competition.

A comment about newcomers requests vs cut veterans requests.
I will have to say,likely when noone cared about when the cut veterans were introduced and now they care because they were cut,the same will happen with the SSB4 newcomers when SSB 5 will be announced after few years.
Its a question of time when "WTF" characters like wii fit trainer and duck hunt dog,grow with huge fanbases inside the smash community.

Last edited by a moderator:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I will miss Snake,his moveset and the ties of smash fanbase with metal gear fanbase,but in a situation like this,nintendo did the right thing.
Business scream louder than fellings nowadays,and paying for the use of a character with no profit for the game,would make no sense to nintendo.
Snake brings no profit to the game? What? He helped bring hype up for brawl and is very hype inducing character. I've heard many people say they got into smash because of snake's inclusion. If anything, it would bring MGS fans to the game causing it to sell more.

I don't have doubt that it was executive meddling the got him cut but to say he wouldn't bring profit is ridiculous. He'd do more good than harm for smash.[/quote]

Last edited:

Yarlick

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1246-8724-8858
As for me, I had that experience with Sonic, for some people, and what causes me to buy Brawl was the inclusion of Sonic, not Snake.
Compare the people who knows Sonic and those who know Snake, you will easily see that even though Snake is hype inducing he isn't as well known as Sonic or Mario to the public.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I feel as if the higher ups did have a hand in the omission of Snake, probably because they haven't had a Wii U version of metal gear in a while.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
As for me, I had that experience with Sonic, for some people, and what causes me to buy Brawl was the inclusion of Sonic, not Snake.
Compare the people who knows Sonic and those who know Snake, you will easily see that even though Snake is hype inducing he isn't as well known as Sonic or Mario to the public.
What are you even talking about? Snake isn't well known? Okay, you bought brawl because sonic not snake. But for other people, they bought it cause of snake. Saying "Oh I didn't buy it because of snake it was because sonic" doesn't change it.
He isn't as iconic as sonic or mario but he is still iconic. I could argue more known than mega man(metal gear has sold around 33 million liftetime whil megaman has only hit around 30 million.) Like I said before, you wouldn't have gotten sonic in brawl if it weren't for snake. Saying sonic is in smash 4 is a weak argument against that.

Yarlick

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1246-8724-8858
Ok, so you don't get it. I will try to make sure you understand what I am saying. Who the hell knows Snake outside of the gaming sphere? Just go asking.
Ask who is Sonic, then Snake, you'll see, nobody knows him.
Snake is known in the gaming sphere, ok, but some will tell you " oh it's that guy" and not "it's the protagonist of Metal Gear Solid"

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Ok, so you don't get it. I will try to make sure you understand what I am saying. Who the hell knows Snake outside of the gaming sphere? Just go asking.
Ask who is Sonic, then Snake, you'll see, nobody knows him.
Snake is known in the gaming sphere, ok, but some will tell you " oh it's that guy" and not "it's the protagonist of Metal Gear Solid"
I could ask the same question about mega man. Who knows him out of the "gaming sphere"?
The franchise metal gear solid is well known, if you play video games you would have heard of it.
Whats wrong with being more known in the "gaming sphere"? Nintendo has stated they want to bring in more hardcore gamers to their platforms and snake is from a well known hardcore game francise. Wouldn't snake cause those hardcore gamers from other platforms to turn their heads towards smash bros?

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
People outside of "gaming" only know Mario and Pac-Man, if that. Occasionally Pikachu, but they have no idea it's from a game.

Anyone who plays games knows who Snake is. I had never played MGS or Mega Man and I knew who Snake was, but not Rock.

Even from a different perspective, the Metal Gear franchise has brought a lot of things to the table that others haven't.

I hate looking as though I'm putting other third parties down, but sometimes things need to be said when others put down Snake.

I love Pac-Man, I've always been a fan of Sonic, and I'm recently getting into Rock. But I'll still like Snake the best.

Yarlick

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1246-8724-8858
Not to be mistaken, I've never said that I don't like Snake or MGS, I'm a huge MGS fan, and Kojima and his series have brought a lot to gaming in my opinion.
As for Megaman...it's sad, but new breads of gamers don't know Megaman thanks to Capcom ( ...Crappy decisions if you know what I mean.)

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
If you're referring to me, I said that it is looking like his last smash game based on his decisions. I think Smash 4 is in many ways a swan song to Sakurai making smash. It has many of the best features of past games.

Also, I've called for a new director since 2003 when Sakurai said less than nice things about the competitive Melee players and the scene overall. I've echoed that sentiment, especially after he spat in the faces of many competitive Melee players making Brawl purposely not a competitive and action-heavy game.
I feel as if the higher ups did have a hand in the omission of Snake, probably because they haven't had a Wii U version of metal gear in a while.
If higher ups at Nintendo did that, they 100% lost Kojima, one of the few top developers who openly loves Nintendo, for pushing him aside. They would also lose Konami, one of the few companies they can rely on to publish and produce games on their consoles.

When you make consoles, you can't lose allies or you die, period. There are ZERO exceptions. Losing publishers and producers while other console producers don't spells doom in every scenario. That was a big reason for the demise of SEGA.

That's why I refuse to believe that this is the case. If Nintendo higher ups did that, it's simple suicide. I mean, the WiiU is already seeming like a lame duck console, but man, to shoot themselves in the foot with losing Konami after losing Ubisoft, EA, Activision Blizzard, and 2K, I'm left wondering what 3rd parties are left to support the WiiU=???

Top Bottom