• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal Melee Community

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Don't do it Fly! Anyone who mods Pac West eventually quits smash!

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
Lol you guys are silly, it shows mostly your friends mixed with randoms on that facebook like thing, on any site that has that feature.

bbb

Smash Champion
so a cute girl came to my door and knocked as I was passing by so I opened it, since I probably couldn't pretend I wasn't there what with the window and all. She was sorta flirty I guess and she asked me to help her out with this thing she was doing to help her be a vet and blah blah blah.

so about 20 minutes later after all sorts of chatting and stuff she was like so yea those things we were agreeing to are magazine subscriptions and you should buy one, and I was like like uh how much are they. She said something like $54, and I was like ****.

I then had to explain that it has been like months since I have seen $50 together all at the same time and I don't have a bank account and all that, and I felt really bad about it, but whatever, if she told me she needed me to buy **** at the beginning I could have told her earlier.

A day in the life

bbb

Smash Champion
well B, I wouldn't have bought her **** anyways

but this way I'm broke instead of a liar

feels good man

joeplicate

Smash Master
so sheridan

i heard you made a long post expressing your discontent with the moderation of this forum, and specifically this sub-forum

seeing as I share the same grievances, and I have seen many others of the same mindset, could you respectfully direct me to this post so that I may contribute to the conversation? or even post it in this thread, seeing as how it is directly relevant to the current situation in pac west?

Miharu

Smash Hero
so sheridan

i heard you made a long post expressing your discontent with the moderation of this forum, and specifically this sub-forum

seeing as I share the same grievances, and I have seen many others of the same mindset, could you respectfully direct me to this post so that I may contribute to the conversation? or even post it in this thread, seeing as how it is directly relevant to the current situation in pac west?
yeh same here

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
I'm not going to post it here because as I understand it, the threads are supposed to be confidential. If you contact me on AIM I'll send you my initial post but for now the rest of the conversation between me and the mod is private.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
I'm just concerned that posting it in public and making a big deal out of it would compromise the discussion process.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Keep in mind that I am a mod here and that penalizing censor-bypassing is now a responsibility of mine. I'm not going to give an infraction for that since I'm guessing that people are still getting used to having active mods around here, but I will start handing out infractions pretty soon.

Not that I approve of censorship, but it comes with the territory.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
boo hiss fly amanita

now gimme my 3 points for disrespecting a forum leader

Jun.

Smash Lord
Keep in mind that I am a mod here and that penalizing censor-bypassing is now a responsibility of mine. I'm not going to give an infraction for that since I'm guessing that people are still getting used to having active mods around here, but I will start handing out infractions pretty soon.

Not that I approve of censorship, but it comes with the territory.
That was very well worded. Fair and sensible.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
What I think you guys fail to appreciate is that MRS had probably a very similar approach to modding that Fly has just posted, but you guys don't like MRS or his posts, so it seems to me that you project that image of him onto whatever he does, whereas you're ready to project fairness onto whatever Fly does (even if it ends up being close to what MRS did) because you all know him as that kind of person.

It doesn't speak well for a legitimate complaint about over-modding in Pac West if the complaint was ultimately (consciously or not) based on which person pressed the infraction button and not what the basis of the infraction was.

MacD

Banned via Administration
In the beginning, weren't there instances of what some might call power abuse from MRS. Between that and the already dislike of him i think is where people are making their arguments.

I agree with you sheridan, but there were also some things he did that made him (extra?) disliked in the beginning.

joeplicate

Smash Master
nah dude, there's a big difference

fly will tell you what he is doing, and wouldn't say dumb **** like "pac west is full of trolls"

there's a difference in the understanding of the community, for one

and i know that if someone had a complaint with fly he wouldn't go get another moderator (jungle, chibo) to handle his business for him. like i asked him, "why don't you just give me a second infraction?"

i was clearly calling him out/being an ******* to him. there's very little point in trying to keep appearances at this point, and i won't believe that jungle just happened to stumble upon my second infraction an hour later on, from whatever forum he's actually from. (this happened on two separate occasions)

the difference between a good moderator and a bad one, in my opinion, is transparency. teczero is a great moderator, because he'll say stuff like "cut it out," "i can't let this happen," etc. when someone's breaking the rules, a good moderator will try to diffuse the situation.

a bad moderator will rely on the smash hierarchy that's been set up, appeal to the utility of authority on the forum instead of handling his own situations, and pass up opportunities to connect with the community, or disregard people's emotions/motives for breaking the rules.

think about the title "moderator," even. i think that moderators should do some actual moderation--really any activity that implies dealing with PEOPLE--instead of just hitting the "infract" button like a robot every time someone has the most minuscule censor dodge/alt account with one post/whatever.

Metal Reflect Slime, if you actually respond to this post, my respect for you will increase greatly and I'll be more than willing to talk about my position on whatever topic.

Rosedemon

Smash Champion
For me, its about the closeness of the community. Fly is a prominent, well liked member of our community. Hes very active, and very, VERY easy to get along with. He may not be the most outgoing person at the tournament, but if you strike up a conversation with him, you'll love the guy.

MRS on the other hand is very weird in person. Now theres nothing wrong with that, but its slightly off putting in a social situation. Not only that, but I can count the number of tournaments i've seen him at since he came into the community.

I just feel like when you're moderating a board geared FOR a community, you should be liked and/or respected by the majority of the community. I for one, dont think he is.

Top Bottom