• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So how then do casuals and elitist interact?

jellis186

Smash Apprentice
This really was not supposed to be a "OMG NO ITMES FOX ONLY FINAL DESTINATION SUXXOR"/"CASUALS ARE IDIOTS STAY OUT OF OUR TOURNEYS YOU ITEMNOOBS" kind of thing. Hell we shouldn't even be discussing techs.

What we should be talking about, and what the article is useful for IF YOU READ BETWEEN THE LINES is the shock the casual players had from having some competitive ones join their social gathering. I wont call it a tourney anymore, because that denotes a competitive atmosphere rather than a social one. While they were initially afraid and looking for ways to ban them, eventually people began to pick favorites and get behind people.

The author doesn't say anything about items, or anything about the competitive players complaining about the games set up. NO ONE HAD A PROBLEM WITH THE WAY THE RULES WERE SET UP. The biggest surprise was there was an unwritten rule, AMONG THESE GROUPS OF FRIENDS, that you didnt use wavedash because not everyone could do it.

So what is the competitive players actions in this poisition? Should they not use wavedash or short hops? Of course not, they put their own money down and they have every right to win it back.

So what then? Perhaps they should be mentors of sorts. Play with the guys for a bit after you kind of ruined their social gathering. Teach em a few things, show em a few tricks, make a new friend.

And what of the casuals? Should they attempt to remove the competitive players from their open tourney? Should they change the rules so that the competitive players stop coming? Of course not. Take the opportunity to learn. Fine you want to have specialized smashfests for your buddies, do that and dont make it open. But when the opportunity arrises to integrate, to learn, to add a few new resources for your smash development, be happy and pick a favorite.

greenblob

Smash Lord
I don't like the idea of soft-banning wavedashing just because not everyone can do it. If that were the case, what if someone didn't know how to recover? What if someone didn't know how to grab? Would they be banned as well?

Also, "exploit" is a loaded term. It basically means anything that wasn't "intended." So if my gameplay wasn't intended, it's an "exploit?" Am I "exploiting" Ganon by playing him as a quick character rather than a slow one? Am I "exploiting" Zelda/Sheik by never transforming?

D

Deleted member

So then how can you say I am crazy for "missing out" on item matches? This is how I feel about item matches. Also, you are definitely not as good as your post implies you are. :)
When I get Brawl I'll show you how good I am, then you can talk. You don't know anything about me.

D

Deleted member

Just to be clear, you don't beat anyone of any real merit. I only say this because you brought up your victories as if to brag about your accomplishments, and I'm here to say that that accomplishment means nothing. I'm not being a **** just because, I'm simply pointed out that you're being conceited, and that **** is universally annoying and hardly ever poignant.

The reason you would catch flack is for making up seemingly arbitrary "honor" rules. There is no standard for what is and isn't honorable, and playing for "honor" seems archaic, as we aren't in feudal Japan or ancient Greece. Furthermore, it is a video game, not a pistol duel. Playing for honor seems pointless, seeing as there is no way to gauge who fought the most honorably, and the most honorable isn't awarded the victory.

Furthermore, by claiming you are playing honorably is implying that those that don't follow your personal rules are playing dishonorably, which is sort of an arrogant assertion, regardless of whether or not it is intentional. Another name for playing dishonorably is playing cheaply, and therefore we come back around to the basic noob standpoint.

I know you didn't say anything, or even that you believe it, but it is implied indirectly through your mindset.

I don't CARE that you that's how you play. I'm just pointing out why people would mock you.

Yes, items are good if you want crazy antics, not so much if you want a legit competition.
People get flack for making up "honor" rules, tourney players get flack for making up "fair" rules.

It's all opinions, it's all semantics, it's all arbitrary. No one is right, no one is wrong. And no one has ever criticized me in real life, everyone's a hard *** critic on the internet though, but guess what, I don't really care since I play the game almost every way it can be played and I have fun, I don't really give a **** what anyone thinks.

If someone thinks they're better than me, they can now prove it via Wi-Fi or shut the hell up.

greenblob

Smash Lord
In general and in philosophy, there is a difference. Tournament rules must be systematic. They must follow logic and fair play and also be enforcible, whereas "honor rules" are for the most part arbitrary.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
People get flack for making up "honor" rules, tourney players get flack for making up "fair" rules.

It's all opinions, it's all semantics, it's all arbitrary. No one is right, no one is wrong. And no one has ever criticized me in real life, everyone's a hard *** critic on the internet though, but guess what, I don't really care since I play the game almost every way it can be played and I have fun, I don't really give a **** what anyone thinks.

If someone thinks they're better than me, they can now prove it via Wi-Fi or shut the hell up.
The difference between Honor rules and Fair rules is that Honor doesn't actually exist.

D

Deleted member

The difference between Honor rules and Fair rules is that Honor doesn't actually exist.
Fair doesn't really exist either, it's an opinion and the way people see things, like honor. I think items are fair, though I SEE both sides of the story. Stubborn ***** like you just love arguing semantics and making **** up.

Sorry your an honor less pile of **** but what should I expect from this place.

greenblob

Smash Lord
No, fairness isn't an opinion. Fairness occurs when ability is the only factor in deciding the outcome of a match. Therefore any type of game-induced randomness is unfair. Unfortunately, the game makes it impossible to get rid of this completely.

squarez

Smash Apprentice
What I really dont like is how some people think that you dont have fun when you are competitive. I mean what do you play games for? To lose? Sure some people have fun in the process of the playing, but isnt it much funner if you actually come out on top and win? I can see how some people don't like to play competitively but just dont say that people who do play competetively dont have any fun.

D

Deleted member

Basically, I tried to be neutral and say I see both sides but others were just being a prick. I'll take anyone down via Wi-Fi if you have the balls but otherwise I'm done with this thread.

It's impossible arguing with people that don't actually listen or THINK, they just spout bull****.

(I don't mean you greenblob.)

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Anyhow, seeing as no-ones actually answered ( ^^ ), i'd say in this stuation the "competetive" player should offer solid advice and be up for as many matches as possible. I mean your improving everyones game whilst showing off your uber 1337ness! its win win <3
Good call I agree with him. I think Casuals should not be ***** and say "your only winning because your using advanced techs QQQ." rather they should watch the competative players. Then they should either just appreciate their way of playing or, if they want to be competative, ask for advice and try to learn the meta-game.

As for Competitive players they shouldn't be elitist snobs. They should be nice to scrubs (assuming of course the scrubs aren't being ***** in the first place) and try to give them tips and stuff on how to improve their game.

Having more people in the tournament scene won't hurt anything. In fact it will probably make it even better.

Gangsta_inc

Smash Ace
NNID
Combo_Knight
>_>

phew waaaay to hot in here... It's like basketball everyday in TS

Toshiba

Smash Apprentice
As I said multiple times throughout my post, what i wrote there was by no means law. I remember seeing a link on here a few months ago of an interview with Sakurai saying he was happy with the way melee is currently being played and all the techs being used. Forgive me if I do not bookmark every single piece of information I find on the internet, but you can choose to either believe me on that or not.

As far as the wavedashing being discovered... I thought that was a well known thing, I had always heard, from reading over 30 posts to this nature, that the possibility of air dodging into the ground to induce movement was discovered prior to the release, and was chosen to remain. Does this mean that they knew every intricacy of it? Does it mean they were waveshining people across the stage? Of course not, what I was getting at was that simply the POSSIBILITY of such things was discovered and deemed worthy to stay in the final product.

I can guarantee you that there is no single game in which the creators looked back at it years later and said "Now this is EXACTLY what i wanted to happen when I made this." That kinda goes back to my first point in that I quite clearly state that I am not Sakurai, so I personally, and NONE of you do either btw, know what he wanted from the game when he was making it. The simple fact that after many years of play he looked back at it and was happy with the metagame just tells me that Maybe he is ok with how it has progressed, so maybe the people who wavedash/tech/"shorthop" etc aren't going against the way he "wanted it to be played". Again, this is me saying that MAYBE this is how he feels based on what I have seen.

x4FoSho4x

Smash Ace
Stealing Many Burritos and Miscellaneous Beverages
I become greatly angered everytime I come to the Brawl Boards.

Why don't we make it into two different forums because "its like we're playing two different games" right?

Its the same game, and im just gonna say it like it is, its either you suck or your good, no casual or nothing like that.

I know a lot of people that use advanced techniques perfectly and play at a very high skill level but only play for fun, and dont even go to tournies really. So what do you call them? But thats besides the point.

The point is..

Stop johning and making up all these rediculous explainations for why your not good. It sickens me. If you want to suck at something and only play other people who suck fine with me but dont go around with these rediculous ideas and being so close-minded.

Toshiba

Smash Apprentice
Honestly your entirely right fosho...there should just be 2 separate boards. Of course there cannot be a concrete division, but if some casuals came into the competitive boards to start trouble then they will easily be discovered, and vice versa. This place was so much nicer and more peaceful before the casual flood for brawl. (I am not saying that it is the Casual players faults, I am simply stating a fact, when the mass migration onto smash boards that recently happened, from all the people being interested in brawl, a good majority of the controversy and arguing on here began) Whether it was one side or the other who started this, there is obviously a great deal of distance between the two, so keeping each in their place would be only beneficial. (Those who can behave decently from either side could of course join in on conversations on either, but once it was clear that the intentions were to fight, then action could be taken)

Now this might be a fantasy world as this may be an issue because of lack of moderation, it would still be nice to see this place go back to normal.

Sliq

Smash Master

No, our rules aren't arbitrary. They have been created over years of tournament play, and all for reasons.

Items are off because of randomly spawning explosions (capsules, crates, barrels, bob-ombs, etc.).

Certain stages are banned because one tactic greatly over powers all others, making it the only means in which to compete on that stage.

Name some rules that you feel are arbitrary and I'll tell you WHY they exist.

jellis186

Smash Apprentice
So I would like to once again point out that not a single person who is arguing for ELITE SNOBS or CASUAL NOOBS make any reference to the article.

You wanna ***** at each other about those things, fine, do it, BUT NOT HERE, IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH NUANCES OF THAT ARTICLE.

AND STOP THE **** DANCING, ACT LIKE YOU GOT SOME GOD **** SENSE. MAN I THROUGH PLAYIN WITH YALL [/boondocks reference]

Toshiba

Smash Apprentice
Whether you were being serious or not hardly changes the fact that it was a great thought. Whether it is practically applicable or not is another story.

Hey jellis learn to read buddy, what we are talking about has everything to do with this thread as the question in the first post was basically "do you think casuals and competitives can co-exist." That is exactly what we are discussing.

Sliq

Smash Master
Fair doesn't really exist either, it's an opinion and the way people see things, like honor. I think items are fair, though I SEE both sides of the story. Stubborn ***** like you just love arguing semantics and making **** up.

Sorry your an honor less pile of **** but what should I expect from this place.
This is a ludicrous assertion, because everyone definition of honor is going to vary, according to subject matter, region, race, religion, ancestry, etc.

What you are trying to do is impose your honor system on us, and that is called fascism.

Basically, I tried to be neutral and say I see both sides but others were just being a prick. I'll take anyone down via Wi-Fi if you have the balls but otherwise I'm done with this thread.

It's impossible arguing with people that don't actually listen or THINK, they just spout bull****.

(I don't mean you greenblob.)

Zink

Smash Champion
our rules based on "fairness" are hard-coded into the game. your rules based on "honor" are simply artificial limitations placed on the players.

no johns.

jellis186

Smash Apprentice
Hey jellis learn to read buddy, what we are talking about has everything to do with this thread as the question in the first post was basically "do you think casuals and competitives can co-exist." That is exactly what we are discussing.
But what you have done is changed it from interactions to a flame war about what is the "right way to play the game" rather than addressing the situation that was presented in the article.

I've been reading everyone posts and it seems that most of em revolve around the actual way that competitive and casual players interact and their gripes with that instead of theorizing a way that both groups can interact.

And dont put words in my mouth. I said absolutely nothing about co-existing, I more concerned with what this article can show us about how the groups interact.

battousai555

Smash Ace
What you are trying to do is impose your honor system on us, and that is called fascism.
Fascism- a governmental system led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition and criticism, regimenting all industry, commerce, etc., and emphasizing an aggressive nationalism and often racism.
I'm just not seeing it...

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I interact with casual gamers just fine. In fact, since I go to almost every single anime expo held in Sweden, I meet more casual gamers than competitive ones.

As long as they're not douchebags, I have nothing against them. Douchebag casuals would be those complaining about competitive gaming, how we're cheap, how we have no life, how "their" rules are better for competitive play despite them obviously not being better, etc.

What the hell is that article about, anyway? About how bad it is that some people are just better than others? About how all skilled players should sandbag a lot against lesser skilled players?

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Every time I see a topic like this, I die a bit inside.

You know why? Because competitive players come in and flame the casuals, casuals come in to flame the competitives, and the rational people come in to get ignored.

When I play with *casual* players, I play like I normally do and see how they react. Generally speaking, somebody who isn't aware of the tactics will be surprised and ask about the stuff I'm doing. Normally I try and figure out how serious they are; usually I just show them cool but useless glitches like Link's boomerang launch so they can impress their friends. If they seem genuinely interested in competitive play, I explain a few of the concepts to them. Sometimes though, I get to play with an entirely different "casual" player.

I played a Ganondorf who told me "you have no idea what you're getting into." I stomped him into the ground with a bunch of characters because frankly, I have little tolerance for groundless cockiness that isn't funny. For instance, a trash talker who makes me laugh gets more leeway from me than a trash talker who isn't amusing and seems to be completely serious. This guy was completely deadpan, arrogant, and flat out bad.

After trouncing him, he said to me, "it's because you do gay ****." Okay, what? He's clearly one of that not-so-rare breed, the compasual. He's the casual player who wants to win without getting better. He takes the game very, very seriously, but blinds himself to the path of improvement.

I have no problem playing with people who don't take the game seriously, and I have no problem playing with competitive players. I dislike that absurd hybrid that uses its own laziness to justify being bad, while at the same time complains that I'm better. Rather than learn how to deal with new tactics and strategies, this horrible mutant child of two perfectly legitimate mindsets tries to rationalize his failures and pretend he's still the best. He doesn't need to learn or study or improve, because he has *real* skill. He's just losing to "gay ****."

To all compasual players: I hate you more than racism.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
When I play with *casual* players, I play like I normally do and see how they react. Generally speaking, somebody who isn't aware of the tactics will be surprised and ask about the stuff I'm doing. Normally I try and figure out how serious they are; usually I just show them cool but useless glitches like Link's boomerang launch so they can impress their friends. If they seem genuinely interested in competitive play, I explain a few of the concepts to them. Sometimes though, I get to play with an entirely different "casual" player.

I played a Ganondorf who told me "you have no idea what you're getting into." I stomped him into the ground with a bunch of characters because frankly, I have little tolerance for groundless cockiness that isn't funny. For instance, a trash talker who makes me laugh gets more leeway from me than a trash talker who isn't amusing and seems to be completely serious. This guy was completely deadpan, arrogant, and flat out bad.

After trouncing him, he said to me, "it's because you do gay ****." Okay, what? He's clearly one of that not-so-rare breed, the compasual. He's the casual player who wants to win without getting better. He takes the game very, very seriously, but blinds himself to the path of improvement.

I have no problem playing with people who don't take the game seriously, and I have no problem playing with competitive players. I dislike that absurd hybrid that uses its own laziness to justify being bad, while at the same time complains that I'm better. Rather than learn how to deal with new tactics and strategies, this horrible mutant child of two perfectly legitimate mindsets tries to rationalize his failures and pretend he's still the best. He doesn't need to learn or study or improve, because he has *real* skill. He's just losing to "gay ****."
That sounds pretty much like what I do and what I think. I also hate the "compusual" players. And there are, unfortunately, a lot of them in all fandoms.

They think they're good, they play the game and when they lose, they complain about how "cheap" the people they played were. Apparently, their way to play the game is better, more honorful and the way it "should" be played while "our" way is not. So I just pick Sheik and basically do nothing but basic stuff (because I don't care about shorthopping as Sheik) and still crush them.

Flayl

Smash Hero
A lot of people are hanging on his reference to shorthopping instead of actually understanding what the article is about.

Just imagine he said L-canceling instead (important part of SHFFL anyway).

I'll admit I don't play with either wavedashing or L-canceling. I only found out about it when I registered on this site. I did use shorthopping though (it's common in many games so it was easy to discover). However those two techs in particular are not intuitive at all, nobody I knew found about those and they did discover (useless) glitches about the game.

Nobody would ever think about dodging so close to the ground that the end movement would be more efficient than dashing. So I can understand why casual players, even the best in their group like me, would be awestruck when getting whomped by a SHFFL'd Captain Falcon knee or waveshined right off a walk-off stage.

At first I tried to learn advanced techs but gave up since 1: Nobody else I knew was using them, 2: They weren't coming back in Brawl.

It's not honour that keeps most of the casuals from using advanced techs, it's the lack of knowledge.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
A lot of people are hanging on his reference to shorthopping instead of actually understanding what the article is about.
Because it just proves how much a scrub he is for whining about Shorthopping.

True Meaning of a Scrub: Someone who complains about things being "cheap".

Just imagine he said L-canceling instead (important part of SHFFL anyway).
But he didn't.

I'll admit I don't play with either wavedashing or L-canceling. I only found out about it when I registered on this site. I did use shorthopping though (it's common in many games so it was easy to discover). However those two techs in particular are not intuitive at all, nobody I knew found about those and they did discover (useless) glitches about the game.
It's not intuitive, and? Must everything be obvious once you pick up the controller and play the game for 10 minutes?

That's not even what the **** article is about. It's about how certain things are "cheap" and that "honorable" players shouldn't use them.

Nobody would ever think about dodging so close to the ground that the end movement would be more efficient than dashing. So I can understand why casual players, even the best in their group like me, would be awestruck when getting whomped by a SHFFL'd Captain Falcon knee or waveshined right off a walk-off stage.
Read about.

It's not honour that keeps most of the casuals from using advanced techs, it's the lack of knowledge.
Yeah, but that's not what the idiot who wrote the article is trying to say with his article. Also, it's not a lack of knowledge. A lot of casuals know about advanced techs and how to do them. They just choose not to. They even whine when other people use them against them or just at all.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Yuna: Flayl wasn't particularly complaining about anything... he was just defending the perspective of the article's author. Additionally, the author of that article doesn't seem to even be complaining about the advanced players or techniques; his article is more focused on "this is what it feels like to see competitive players" in action. His "complaint," if you can call it that, was simply that the intent of the group was to play in a relaxed environment and then some tournament players came along and mopped the floor with the group. Don't forget that he mentions he's not really mad about it, since the group permitted the event to be open to everybody. He was just surprised to see competitive players come in to sweep the competition.

The article in question said:
I was torn; we'd been invaded, but it was a pleasure to watch players that could take a classic game like Melee to an unprecedented level of play.
It's comparable to a group of poker buddies who play for nickels and dimes when a professional shows up and cleans house. They may not be mad that the guy is winning or better, it just feels a little weird to have an intruder come into the community and play the game so differently. Especially if nobody specifically invited him.

The article certainly wasn't whiny at all, and Flayl isn't complaining either. He's not whining that wavedashing and l-canceling should be intuitive; he's simply pointing out the shock and surprise that a casual player would feel when a competitive one busts out advanced techniques.

Yes, the "shorthopping is an exploit" was off and he still doesn't seem to grasp what the essence of competitive play is, but he didn't seem particularly upset about it. I don't even think he mentions "honor" at all, other than that they have a player who can wavedash but doesn't "in deference to their lesser skills." They don't take the game very seriously, so they don't try to push the experience beyond "let's all just chill and have fun." Doesn't seem whiny to me at all, truthfully.

ARX-7 Arbalest

Smash Journeyman
Temple Hills, Maryland or University of MD, Baltim
both sides have fun. i play like in the middle tho. im not completely casual but im not good enough to play on competitive level....

needless to say, I have played competive players....i get ***** every time lol in 1v1 at least. team battles i do better but not by much

now id rather play casual players because while i have no problems losing, i do like to win a few on my own skills

competitive, casual, who cares, we all love smash bros.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Wobbles, I replied to your post but it got lost in the bugs of this forum again.

Read the article again. The entire article is saturated with a mentality that speaks of how uncompetitive the author is (calling shorthopping something special, as if it were hard. Flayl also complained it wasn't intuitive. What, it's not intuitive if it's not immediately obvious upon playing the game for 2 minutes?). He also kinda complains about how the good players shouldn't have been there and yaddi yaddi yadda.

There are several points in the article when he blames the competitive players for just being too good. He even right out says the "problem" with that day was partially the competitive players' fault for showing up. I mean, I've never heard of someone trying to keep casual players out of tournaments but here's a group of people who freaked because some possibly at least moderately competitive players or just casual ones who'd bothered to learn a little about the game came and owned them.

jellis186

Smash Apprentice
Yuna, I'm not going to assault your smash skills, cause lord knows I am nowhere near as good as most of the players on the site.

What I am going to say is that you need to work on your literary analysis. You are point out all the obvious things. Yes hes a scrub (since that seems to be the hot word), and yes he was a bit unnerve by these competitive players coming in. And yes, they fight to come up with reasons to kick them out, but you know what? They didnt.

What the article is saying (and what we should be focusing on) is this casual get together, deemed a tournament, is invaded by competitive players. Then as they obviously begin to lose game after game (which the expected after seeing these guys warm up) is something that piques their interests. Despite their concerns, they never scream at the kids, call them names, or are in any other way disrespectful of them.

We aren't going to argue about who is right or wrong or if the scrub rules are good or bad, that never, at any point comes up in the article. What should be the focus of this topic (and which has been lost in a sea of flames) is the feeling that the casuals had and how you very competitive players handle a situation like this.

Wobbles is right, if cat is gonna say "you have no idea what you are in for" tear him a new ***. But if its just a gathering of a group of friends that you happen to crash, should you go out and try to stomp the competition, or should you treat it like playing a game of basketball with a 5 year old? You give them opportunities but never put yourself in a position to lose. Everyone has fun, and you look like a good person.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yuna, I'm not going to assault your smash skills, cause lord knows I am nowhere near as good as most of the players on the site.

What I am going to say is that you need to work on your literary analysis. You are point out all the obvious things. Yes hes a scrub (since that seems to be the hot word), and yes he was a bit unnerve by these competitive players coming in. And yes, they fight to come up with reasons to kick them out, but you know what? They didnt.
Umm... they tried to. They just couldn't come up with any good reasons. Also, the players ignored them when they used really inane reasons like "No outsiders on school grounds".

He also said this:
"In a way, those six were at fault for putting an unwarranted edge on the festivities."

It shows how he's still a scrub with a scrub mindset. Otherwise, he wouldn't have said that sentence.

We aren't going to argue about who is right or wrong or if the scrub rules are good or bad, that never, at any point comes up in the article. What should be the focus of this topic (and which has been lost in a sea of flames) is the feeling that the casuals had and how you very competitive players handle a situation like this.
The competitive players went to a tournament that was advertised on FaceBook. It's hardly their fault the players there were all scrubs.

Wobbles is right, if cat is gonna say "you have no idea what you are in for" tear him a new ***. But if its just a gathering of a group of friends that you happen to crash, should you go out and try to stomp the competition, or should you treat it like playing a game of basketball with a 5 year old? You give them opportunities but never put yourself in a position to lose. Everyone has fun, and you look like a good person.
It was more than that. It had been advertised on FaceBook. And gone past just "a group of friends". They weren't crashing, it was an actual tournament you paid to enter, free for everyone to enter.

Why must I sandbag because I'm facing a lesser player? I don't want to accidentally lose because I just airdodged wrong four times and died. And how do I know that the player I'm facing is a huge n00b/scrub (not the same)?

I mean, what am I, psychic? After all, these people went to a tournament with money involved. Sure, it wasn't much, but it was money nonetheless. Maybe they thought there'd be competent non-scrubs there.

Top Bottom