• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So how then do casuals and elitist interact?

E-Z-MONEY

Smash Journeyman
Because we actually know each other. Most competitive players have gone to tournaments and made acquaintances. Why should we believe Random Person #42 who's obviously trolling that they're competitive when no one's ever heard of them, played them (ever) and they joined less than 6 months ago?
You go to every tournament and tell each other about new competitors? Even small ones? Even ones with little reward? In addition you instantly mention it to everyone on the internet? What are you guys, a hivemind?
Sure. I'll still be able to root out a good number of twits to use as examples.
Good for you. I can as well.

You still haven't anwered my challenges. I'll even drop the "idiot"-requirement for you.
Aw. aren't you nice all of a sudden.
Name 5 Competitive Players (who are verifiably Competitive) who have used "Casual" as an insult or who are elitists who look down on people worse than them at Smash.
I'm sorry that I don't hold grudges and memorize the names of everyone who is a **** to me on the internet. In addition I have a life so I'm not going to. However If needed I start with you and Sliq.

I find it annoying for your posts.
Ooh clever.
I frequent 4Chan.
I would say that I could've guessed that but I honestly didn't.
You know nothin about Competitive Gaming and Competitive gamers. Why do you claim you do when you're so wrong in everything you say?
No. First of all I don't know much about it. Maybe if you and Sliq weren't ***** and actually informed people instead of being, well, ***** then I would. Nextly I never claimed I did know that much. Lastly, Stop overreacting. So I guessed wrong on something I said I guessed on. Again, calm down.
In my first replt to you.
I'll look over it but I doubt it. Also you have very little right to call yourself a civil person if that is as long as you lasted.
You were wrong then. How horrible it must be to realize you've been using the wrong definition for "Scrub". Or am I wrong for using the correct one?
First of all aren't you the guy who jumped on Jack when he tried to argue semantics? Regardless, I'm sorry. The internet has a way of using words in entirely new ways and I took the words to mean what I could imply from the first post I've read with them.
You were wrong and you were wrong for misinterpreting mine and MookieRah's (very correct) definitions of "Scrub".
Is the bolding neccesary? In addition there is no correct definition of anything on the internet. What makes yours right? I'll use that one from now on but really, get over yourself.
Because you proved yourself to be an idiot on your first reply.
Show me where please. I wasn't aware that I had.

I teach, correct and insult at the same time. I'm awesome like that.
Where did you teach me? I have only seen you be a **** so far.

@Dat crazy *****/Mookie: Oh I'm perfectly calm. I'm listening to Nine in the afternoon by Panic! and 11h30 by Danger and I am so frickin chill I could cure global warming. However I don't pass up an opportunity to be snippy to someone over the internet who deserves it.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I dunno, this has to be the funniest and most ironic statement in the thread. Good god epic lines from people are becoming more common in this place!
I apologize if the joke was not immediately apparent to you. I was afraid you wouldn't get it as well.

Yuna = One of the main protagnists and all-round Pinnacle of Good characters of the Final Fantasy franchise
Kuja = Protagonist and villain of FF9 (or so I hear, I still haven't played the game due to a lack of a PS1 memory card)

Yuna saying that Kuja might not such a villain after all = In-joke based on the gaming franchise both monikers were lifted from.

Iwan

Smash Ace
I apologize if the joke was not immediately apparent to you. I was afraid you wouldn't get it as well.

Yuna = One of the main protagnists and all-round Pinnacle of Good characters of the Final Fantasy franchise
Kuja = Protagonist and villain of FF9 (or so I hear, I still haven't played the game due to a lack of a PS1 memory card)

Yuna saying that Kuja might not such a villain after all = In-joke based on the gaming franchise both monikers were lifted from.
lol...i got the joke Yuna :p

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
OFFTOPIC!!
Because prejudice against homosexuals only seems to spawn from religions! And not because people naturally tend to be hostile against what they don't know / understand.
Well that is true, but a majority of the prejudice from the US spawns from how the church views homosexuality AND how the government so far has been instituting those beliefs. Several cultures in existence have not had any problems with homosexuality, and they don't see such discrimination. So yeah, I blame the people who are ignorantly pointed their fingers at a group of people simply cause in a few parts of an old book condemns it.

ONTOPIC!!
You go to every tournament and tell each other about new competitors?
If you are a part of your smash scene in your region and you are active and have been active for a while you know pretty much all the people that take part in it. We are a pretty close-nit community, especially at the regional level. When you go outside the region only the top players are known from that group. That's cause there are a lot of competitors.
Aw. aren't you nice all of a sudden.
If you really want to truly end this bickering why not try to comply with his simple request? He's not asking for you to bow down to him if you can't find 5 people, but moreso we want to see who these people are if you can find 5 of them.
However If needed I start with you and Sliq
They aren't elitist to you. They are just being insulting. I get like that from time to time when I get fed up trying to explain stuff to people all the time. The thing is this: you and a lot of others have heavily criticized the tournament community. You did this while admitting that you didn't know all that much about it, and even said you assumed about things on a few parts. This frustrates us, because a lot of the preconceived notions people have about the community are not true, are completely overblown, and are just so downright infuriating that it's hard to keep our cool on things. Ultimately we don't mind criticism, as long as it's based within knowledgeable and respectful discussion.
I would say that I could've guessed that but I honestly didn't.
4chan has very little to do with this argument. While it has perpetuated a lot of the nonsense about the competitive community, it really isn't what is being debated.
First of all aren't you the guy who jumped on Jack when he tried to argue semantics?
We argued against Jack for his use of competitive and casual because it didn't fit the smashboards/competitive gaming communities use of the word. This community has been in place for a long time as mostly the competitive players. The jargon we use is a large part of how we have been trying to communicate. It wasn't until recently that people have brought up that a lot of the miscommunication was because people took our words the wrong way or out of context with what we were saying. The reason we argued against it was because it's so obvious in context to what we are saying what we mean. The only thing that sometimes gets tossed around and misinterpreted a lot is "scrub", but other than that it's pretty self-explanatory.

Honestly though, when I first came to the site I had no trouble inferring the meaning of these words and how they were used. I also had no trouble tracking down the source of the competitive scenes definition of said jargon. It was very intuitive for the most part, with very few exceptions. It's not like it took much effort, and I wanted to learn it because I wanted to be a part of the community. It's very different now, and the reason is because of the waging battle between mindsets as well as immaturity. People don't want to try to understand each group. They don't really care about being a community. They want to segregate themselves to either competitive or casual, and whenever there is interaction communication breaks down. When words are exchanged under the veil of preconceived stereotypes tackled with a lack of understanding... what can you really expect?

E-Z-MONEY

Smash Journeyman
If you are a part of your smash scene in your region and you are active and have been active for a while you know pretty much all the people that take part in it. We are a pretty close-nit community, especially at the regional level. When you go outside the region only the top players are known from that group. That's cause there are a lot of competitors.
Yes but I am mostly talking about competitive newbs who have been to one tournament and aren't that great or noteworthy.
If you really want to truly end this bickering why not try to comply with his simple request? He's not asking for you to bow down to him if you can't find 5 people, but moreso we want to see who these people are if you can find 5 of them.
Dylan, Sliq, Yuna and 5150 seems to be the general consensus.
They aren't elitist to you. They are just being insulting.
When I count elitists I was looking for elitists that happen to be competitive not because they were competitive. Sliq and Yuna have looked down on me and generally been *****. I'm pretty sure that is what an elitist is. I could be wrong though.
I get like that from time to time when I get fed up trying to explain stuff to people all the time.
They never explained that much and they were kind of jerks from the start. Our conversation started out a bit heated but you cooled down which led me to do so as well. They don't cool down.
The thing is this: you and a lot of others have heavily criticized the tournament community. You did this while admitting that you didn't know all that much about it, and even said you assumed about things on a few parts.
I haven't heavily criticized anything much. I agree items should be off if the competitors agree and I agree that scrubs are annoying. All I have said is that elitists and tourney scrubs are annoying as well.
This frustrates us, because a lot of the preconceived notions people have about the community are not true, are completely overblown, and are just so downright infuriating that it's hard to keep our cool on things. Ultimately we don't mind criticism, as long as it's based within knowledgeable and respectful discussion.
Same with us.
We argued against Jack for his use of competitive and casual because it didn't fit the smashboards/competitive gaming communities use of the word. This community has been in place for a long time as mostly the competitive players. The jargon we use is a large part of how we have been trying to communicate. It wasn't until recently that people have brought up that a lot of the miscommunication was because people took our words the wrong way or out of context with what we were saying. The reason we argued against it was because it's so obvious in context to what we are saying what we mean. The only thing that sometimes gets tossed around and misinterpreted a lot is "scrub", but other than that it's pretty self-explanatory.
Ah. I hadn't really payed attention to that argument. Regardless, when I came into this thread the attitude was very casual scrub vs. tourney elitist. It wasn't until a long way in that casual elitists and tourney scrubs were mentioned. I had assumed that all idiot casuals were scrubs and all idiot tourney players were called elitist. Apparently that isn't the case however when I insult tourney players I lump in scrub with elitist. I'm relatively new here and this is my first argument about this.
Honestly though, when I first came to the site I had no trouble inferring the meaning of these words and how they were used. I also had no trouble tracking down the source of the competitive scenes definition of said jargon. It was very intuitive for the most part, with very few exceptions. It's not like it took much effort, and I wanted to learn it because I wanted to be a part of the community. It's very different now, and the reason is because of the waging battle between mindsets as well as immaturity. People don't want to try to understand each group. They don't really care about being a community. They want to segregate themselves to either competitive or casual, and whenever there is interaction communication breaks down. When words are exchanged under the veil of preconceived stereotypes tackled with a lack of understanding... what can you really expect?
Read above.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
The word "elitist" (and it's variations) has been abused, misunderstood, and destroyed worse than "mindgames"

Strangely enough, it's usually elitist noobs that are misusing the word >_>
Ironic ain't it?

It's just getting annoying.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919

Oh trust me, I got the joke. That's why I said it was funny and ironic.

Epic lines is also coming from someone who said edgeguarding sucks now, and one should refer to Scar (who pwned Mufasa with epic edgeguarding).

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
people that are considered pros haven't been the nicest people to me yet, not to say they aren't nice or to say they are arrogant or anything of that sort, but they don't seem to want to talk to me, or form others who have tried.

they brushed me off pretty hard, i mean, is it that big of a deal to talk?

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
I told you people I could solve 50% of the problems right now.

1.) Stop using the word Scrub. Use something else. No matter the definition (and I know what it is, I'm called it from time to time...urgh) it still SOUNDS insulting, especially the way that it's used.

2.) Stop using the titles casual and competitive. Tourneygoer and Non-Tourneygoer (or something shorter, but words fail me at the moment...Irony FTW?) sound better and less insulting to everyone.

3.) Stop using the word elitist. ESPECIALLY the Non-Tourneygoers! (casuals) Honestly, it's the 9 year old trolls that are the elitist *******s (and a few, FEW Tourneygoers, but I think even they aren't really meaning to be elitist as much as they just post that tone)

Sure, the above does sound politically correct and all that jazz, but on the bright side, it should for the most part quell some of the arguments.

As for the stupid trolls that brag that they could hand the tourneyplayer's arse to them on a platter or whatever the topic happens to be, well, you can't cure stupid, so the best thing to do is let them go off on a stupid tangent and make fools of themselves. Honestly guys, don't bring yourself down to their level.

Noypi_GjD

Smash Journeyman
people that are considered pros haven't been the nicest people to me yet, not to say they aren't nice or to say they are arrogant or anything of that sort, but they don't seem to want to talk to me, or form others who have tried.

they brushed me off pretty hard, i mean, is it that big of a deal to talk?
Unlucky for you bro :( The competitive people in my smash community were some of the nicest people I have met when comparing them to my other competitive endeavors . It seemed they always wanted to teach people of the tournament rules and such. I have never seen anyone go crazy elitist, annoyed sure but never rally angry :dizzy:

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
@Ogre_Diety_Link
Whatever the case, if you replace those words with something else it won't change anything. It will simply be new problems as people will still feel insulted with new words or new jargon. Besides, you can't get everyone to stop using those words, they have already stuck.

Sliq

Smash Master
Being a **** doesn't make me any less right. It just pissed people off all the more that I'm such an *******, but you can't do anything about it because I'm right.

"God, that guy is such an *******!"

"Yeah, but he's right."

"He's such an *******, that I hate that he's right."

ITT E-Z-Money (awesome name, btw) deduces that I am a **** for 10 pages.

BTW, I'm only an ******* around mass amounts of stupid. Its like stupid is gamma radiation and I'm Bruce Banner.

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
@Ogre_Diety_Link
Whatever the case, if you replace those words with something else it won't change anything. It will simply be new problems as people will still feel insulted with new words or new jargon. Besides, you can't get everyone to stop using those words, they have already stuck.
I'm just suggesting that it might. Personally I think the word Scrub just sounds like it holds negative connotations, I've heard "casual" players complain about being called "casual" and as for elitist, I really didn't mean to say to change the word, but for the n00bs to stop over using it to describe every person who tells them that they aren't the best and that they still have a lot more to learn.

But you has a good point. It's not likely that people are going to change the words that they've used for so long. I just thought it might help, a least a LITTLE.

And to Sliq, I had the same problem with Dylan_Tnga quite a while back. He seemed like a total ******* to me. Now I totally have nothing against him. Maybe because I realized that he wasn't be an elitist *******, but merely describing something in a heated manner...

Or you could be just like myself and are a ******* for the "lulz" I dunno. :)

Waddle

Smash Ace
Elitist. tsk tsk... You know youre a newb when you call competitive players "elitists". Geez.

jwkirby64

Smash Journeyman
Once again, save some steam and scrolling time for Sliq, Mookie, and insightful casuals/competitives.

Don't try to define words b/c although Webster gave us this wonderful thing called a dictionary, we will all use words in our own ways. People will disagree how you use the word and stuff.

Ex: calling competitives like us constantly as elitist will piss us the **** off. We don't all think adv tech is the ONLY way to play smash. Smash is flexible.

So have B.Frank's virtue of Silence and avoid trifling conversation. Don't say **** to start **** if you don't mean ****.

Leave the arguement to them.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yes but I am mostly talking about competitive newbs who have been to one tournament and aren't that great or noteworthy.
Those are not competitivep people.

Dylan, Sliq, Yuna and 5150 seems to be the general consensus.
(This post probably predated the one in the Myth-thread, but this reply is for those who haven't been to it)
Too bad Sliq and I do not qualify.

When I count elitists I was looking for elitists that happen to be competitive not because they were competitive. Sliq and Yuna have looked down on me and generally been *****. I'm pretty sure that is what an elitist is. I could be wrong though.
Because you deserved it. It's not being elitist, it's being against stupidity. If being against stupidity is being elitist them I guess the majority of all human beings alive are elitists.

They never explained that much and they were kind of jerks from the start. Our conversation started out a bit heated but you cooled down which led me to do so as well. They don't cool down.
I would cool down if you started making more sense and cooling down yourself (you might have cooled down in regards to MookieRah but you haven't, in the least, towards me).

Ah. I hadn't really payed attention to that argument. Regardless, when I came into this thread the attitude was very casual scrub vs. tourney elitist. It wasn't until a long way in that casual elitists and tourney scrubs were mentioned. I had assumed that all idiot casuals were scrubs and all idiot tourney players were called elitist. Apparently that isn't the case however when I insult tourney players I lump in scrub with elitist. I'm relatively new here and this is my first argument about this.
You see, the reason why I was rude to you earlier was because these very things were pointed out to you quite early during your time here by me, Sliq and MookieRah respectively. It took you this long to finally get it. I was a b*tch to you because you kept ignoring me bringing these things up to you (quite eloquently, albeit with biting sarcasm). And MookieRah even did it without the sarcasm.

Yet you kept failing to grasp it.

I told you people I could solve 50% of the problems right now.

1.) Stop using the word Scrub. Use something else. No matter the definition (and I know what it is, I'm called it from time to time...urgh) it still SOUNDS insulting, especially the way that it's used.
Of course the word "Scrub" is an insult. Because Scrubs are vile creature who should be killed in their sleep.

However, "Scrub" is not a synonym to "Casual". Why the Casual community automatically assumes that when we insult Scrubs, we're insulting the Casual community at large, sometimes and quite often when we point out that that isn't the case (and I frequently point out the true definition of "Scrub"), I'll never understand.

Is it a Casual past time to automatically assume that if a Competitive Player is insulting someone and this someone isn't a fellow Competitive Player, they're insulting the entire Casual community a large?

2.) Stop using the titles casual and competitive. Tourneygoer and Non-Tourneygoer (or something shorter, but words fail me at the moment...Irony FTW?) sound better and less insulting to everyone.
Why would anyone be insulted by the term "Casual"? Do they not know the meaning of the word "Casual" (Dictionary.com)?

And if we switched the terms around, people would just get insulted for being called "Non-tourneygoer", claiming it's insulting to make such a distinction, as if going to tournaments makes you a better person or something other inane to perpetuate this meaningless war.

3.) Stop using the word elitist. ESPECIALLY the Non-Tourneygoers! (casuals) Honestly, it's the 9 year old trolls that are the elitist *******s (and a few, FEW Tourneygoers, but I think even they aren't really meaning to be elitist as much as they just post that tone)
This I agree with.

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
Ah...Well about the scrub comment, I've heard it as two different things.

Some people claim it isn't an insult and is just a way of talking about someone who refuses to play with things such as edgeguarding, adv. techs, ect. because of a made up set of rules.

While others (such as yourself Yuna) claim it as an insult...

So now I'm really confused...:(

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Some people claim it isn't an insult and is just a way of talking about someone who refuses to play with things such as edgeguarding, adv. techs, ect. because of a made up set of rules.
When a competitive player uses the word "scrub" it's based on Sirlin's definition of a scrub. Sirlin.net has all that information, and is basically the guy that encapsulated the competitive gaming mindset.
The word is an insult, and the reason being is because they DO use a made up set of rules that exist outside the game entirely. These rules aren't things like items and final smashes, these exist only in the minds of the players. Now there is a difference between someone who would prefer not to bother with those things and play to have fun and those that absolutely refuse to use those tactics and tries to enforce their views onto everyone they play. When a person with made up rules tries to assert his views on others and label effective strats as "cheap" and typically use these as reasons for their losses, well, you have yourself your stereotypical run of the mill scrub.

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
So a scrub is someone who plays like that, but forces his/her views on others?

What is it when you play by certain rules amongst your friends which you have all agreed upon, or is that just considered normal casual play?

God, I sound like such a n00b right now...

:laugh:

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ah...Well about the scrub comment, I've heard it as two different things.

While others (such as yourself Yuna) claim it as an insult...

So now I'm really confused...:(
Actually, I claim both things.

The very nature of a Scrub is vile and moronic. Therefore, the word "Scrub" in itself is also an insult as the Competitive scene loathes Scrubs.

A Scrub is someone who refuse to play with things they deem "cheap". While there's nothing wrong in just limiting yourself, they also want to limit how others play. Scrubs not only categorically refuse to do some things, they whine when others do.

Because of this, we, the Competitive Community, view them as scum. To call someone a "Scrub" is to call them "Scum", though we'd never use it against someone who isn't a Scrub.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
What is it when you play by certain rules amongst your friends which you have all agreed upon, or is that just considered normal casual play?
That's just casual play with more structured rules. Like I said, if the goal of the game is to maximize fun and you all agree, it's not really being a scrub.

Scrubs are the guys that when they leave a group like that, they expect everyone to play by their rules and if they don't they will be quick to tell you how bad you are at the game for not adhering to them.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
One of the things I have a problem with are the scrubs and newbies who state that they are good without having to use things like wavedashing or L-Canceling on the competitive level(the level people like Sliq, Mookie and Yuna play on) Or even further state that they don't need edge hogging, edge guarding or chain grabbing and they are still good. To everyone who ignores these very simple, very effective strategies: YOU SUCK. Yes, that seems harsh, but you have to accept that if you don't use these things, you really aren't good on a competitive level. You could not beat Sliq or Yuna or Mookie. You couldn't beat 56k. You couldn't beat Hydro Kirby. You couldn't beat me. You cannot compete on a high level without edge guarding, edge hogging, chain grabs, Wavedashing(don't even bring up Aniki) L-canceling. To shut yourself off from these things while attempting to compete is absolutely ridiculous as it limits you to an extent far beyond anything else(like using a bottom tier character >.>) Now this isn't to say a newbie and a scrub are the same thing. The newbie won't use these things for reasons like 1: doesn't realize these things exist, 2: Doesn't know how to use them effectively or 3: Doesn't realize that these things work VERY well. A scrub simply doesn't use them because they honestly believe that that can compete without them and defeat high level players.

/Off topic(ish) Rant

lazychi

Smash Cadet
i believe both casual and competitive players enjoy the game equally and in their own way. Their is no RIGHT way to play, you find rules that you find suitable and play with others who agree with your terms of play. Also their is no reason for someone to push ones beliefs on others, if you dont like tourney rules, so be it, dont play with tourney rules, dont go to competitive tourneys, possibly make your own to attract others that enjoy your terms of play.

As for Competitive/Casual interaction. I dont see much of a problem of interacting with one another. From my experience competitive players seem to be fairly flexible with their rules and usually wont mind a casual match or two. However, casuals can not do the same as adv. techs actually take time to learn. As long as casuals and comp. players understand where each side is coming from, they can hang out without much conflict.

Now from my experiences, competitive players are usually fairly understanding, especially when it comes to fighting games such as SSBM. They usually dont mind playing casuals and enjoy competition under a variety of rules. However, casuals that my friends and i have played dont seem to want to adapt even if it is just for "fun". Im not trying to pin the conflicts soley on casuals as there are comp. @asses but if both sides were to give each eachothers side a chance, conflicts would be greatly decreased.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
To shut yourself off from these things while attempting to compete is absolutely ridiculous as it limits you to an extent far beyond anything else(like using a bottom tier character >.>)
You had me till the bottom tier character part XD. I played Mewtwo competitively, and he didn't hold me back one bit when I used him, cause he was my best character at the time :-P. I also don't believe Mewtwo is nearly as bad as the tier list would have you believe, but that is not saying that Mewtwo is "good" in comparison to all of the other characters in the game.

Angrylobster

Smash Lord
i believe both casual and competitive players enjoy the game equally and in their own way. Their is no RIGHT way to play, you find rules that you find suitable and play with others who agree with your terms of play. Also their is no reason for someone to push ones beliefs on others, if you dont like tourney rules, so be it, dont play with tourney rules, dont go to competitive tourneys, possibly make your own to attract others that enjoy your terms of play.

As for Competitive/Casual interaction. I dont see much of a problem of interacting with one another. From my experience competitive players seem to be fairly flexible with their rules and usually wont mind a casual match or two. However, casuals can not do the same as adv. techs actually take time to learn. As long as casuals and comp. players understand where each side is coming from, they can hang out without much conflict.

Now from my experiences, competitive players are usually fairly understanding, especially when it comes to fighting games such as SSBM. They usually dont mind playing casuals and enjoy competition under a variety of rules. However, casuals that my friends and i have played dont seem to want to adapt even if it is just for "fun". Im not trying to pin the conflicts soley on casuals as there are comp. @asses but if both sides were to give each eachothers side a chance, conflicts would be greatly decreased.
This post is truth

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
You had me till the bottom tier character part XD. I played Mewtwo competitively, and he didn't hold me back one bit when I used him, cause he was my best character at the time :-P. I also don't believe Mewtwo is nearly as bad as the tier list would have you believe, but that is not saying that Mewtwo is "good" in comparison to all of the other characters in the game.
It was a joke Mookie, Im a Kirby main :kirby:

Top Bottom