• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SMASHPOCALYPSE:: SPOC IX in February? Link to SPOC VIII results in OP

Alukard

Smash Hero
Chibo I Just Said It ... Brawl Players Are Really Familiar With It Lololol

We Talking Melee Son

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
so let's see, you ignore pocky who succinctly replied to this "proof" that he just ignores people with contradictory opinions in his very next post, he said this:

pockyD said:
Or it's more likely that you're just being an idiot. I'm not "addressing" any of those posts because I DON'T DISAGREE with them; I only disagree with the conclusion. It's a powerful tactic, yes. It's easy to do, yes. It can be done on any character, yes. It can be done on any stage, no, but it's not relevant. I don't get how this is so hard for you to understand, but those don't relate to the case I'm making.
I have to ask, are you ********? All of the posts give REASONS why wobbling should be banned and Mow's gave the most. He IGNORES them then says he doesn't disagree with anything in them except that the conclusions they draw from them. That is IGNORING THE ARGUMENT.

People gave REASONS why wobbling should be banned. He IGNORED them and proceeded to say once again that wobbling shouldn't be banned. That is NOT debating. That is ignoring arguments and being a troll. I'd reply to the rest but everything else you said is irrelevant to the fact that he ignores arguments and just restates his opinions.

pockyD

Smash Legend
I do appreciate how most everyone I considered to be more intelligent posters coming in that bothered to respond didn't have a problem understanding my views, regardless of whether or not they agreed with them

...and of course the people who have posting styles similar to dark.pch are still struggling to comprehend something said half a year ago

always good to be reaffirmed

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to

I have to ask, are you ********?
hmm, I was on top of my class throughout high school, got a 1480 on my SATs, went to one of the top 4 schools in the nation for computer science, graduated on time and with a fine gpa, and am currently working and making a **** ton of money in my first year out of college. So yea, that does seem to suggest that I'm mentally handicapped. (oh, and btw, i'm almost 100% possitive PockyD 1-ups me on many if not all of these fronts)

you're in college right? how did you manage to understand the questions on your applications? I don't get why reading comprehension is so hard. God, I don't even know why I bother with these long thought out posts when all I get from you is "R U A R-TARD, LOL *HIGH FIVES _______ (ANY PERSON HERE WHO ALSO CAN'T READ)*

ok, so let's take the most compelling post that pocky ignored, say Umbreon's.

here's the text:

"wobbling is like m2k marth chaingrabbing a fox on a day that he's playing really well on FD.

Now subtract the need for FD, subtract the fact that it has to be fox/falco, subtract his hundreds of hours of practice and general superior talent above other players.

Now subtract the inability to ban the one stage it can be performed on, subtract the ability to DI out, button mash out, DI the killing attack.

Now subtract the inability to use prior knowledge of the technique, as it was discovered that if you jab cancel A taps rather than using tilts, you can't even escape at the 2 random windows of opportunity that existed before.

Now subtract the time limitation, since it can be interpreted that excessive damage is necessary to ensure a KO rather than being called off for stalling the timer.

Now subtract the possibility of counteracting with your own grabs, as you can only grab one climber at a time.

Now consider the fact that the only single truly top competitive IC player (chu) generally won't do this at all because even he thinks it's gay and broken beyond all reason.

Now consider that many tournaments already fail to finish on time, creating venue scheduling conflicts.

Now consider that smaller local tournaments that specifically state that wobbling is legal have a tendancy to draw tournament boycotts from individual players. Like I said, if everyone had the choice between wobbles and street fighter, you'd be playing by yourself.

Wobbling: banned for many, many reasons."

Fine, whatever. This has proved that wobbling is not terribly difficult, can be done in many situations, may take a bit of time, and is generally unfun. POCKY AND I ****ING GET IT. WHICH IS THESE REASONS IS THE STRAW THAT'S BREAKING THE CAMEL'S BACK? We want exactly what condition is the condition for a ban. You're not giving it to us. You're giving us a million complaints, but you're not saying "THIS RIGHT HERE IS WHAT'S OK AND WOBBLING DOESN'T FALL INTO THIS CATEGORY." Without ever making a statement of what EXACTLY is making Wobbling so much worse than everything else, there's no precedent being set for judging other rules which make the ban 100% arbitrary, which is just a slippery slope for people being able to complain about other tactics.

And thinking about it, I kinda have to lol that no one is up in arms over Wobbles new **** where he regrabs you, meaning that the entrie problem that people have with Wobbling boils down to how easy it is which is completely unquantifiable and therefore pretty **** hard to ban on the grounds of. That or it being unfun since it's almost certainly more entertaining seeing him do something cooler. w/e, you're just going to ignore this post or read it wrong, but I hope I've at least gotten the people who know how to read to see what Pocky and I are saying.

JFox

Smash Hero
Show me then. Theres a car coming to the 3/7 tourney from md/va catch a ride with them. You can get a rematch on this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik6OWxH0dnk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzViSfs41R0&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v2oiNZg5eI&feature=related
My lord, is that how bad the smash community used to be a year ago? That was some of the worst melee i've ever seen. That falco would get ***** by stric-9's present-day falco. And that falcon...were you drunk? :laugh:

That was pretty entertaining, lol.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
LOL, nice, xD. Um...what's up G-reg? xD.

TO THOSE WHO ACTUALLY CARE (which I kind of doubt anyone does....):
I just made it to the second round of tournaments in Gamestop. That means I have to steal my friend's 360, and buy an XBox live account so I can actually PLAY people online now. That...blows....-_-. I want that bid into Evo, though. Heck, I wouldn't mind ****** people in Arcana Heart. Need to concentrate on SF4 before that though. >_> I forgot how annoying that situation actually is gonna be. Time to pull out the beast mode training from my youth. (Practice until there are blisters on my fingers >.<) If anyone can offer help in training...it'd be greatly appreciated. I have a feeling I'll be running into Justin Wong at some point >.<

Cheezit

Smash Ace
Uh Rain i heard he didn't plan to enter the GS tourneys could third round is on a big nation wide SF4 tourney and other games that hes attending LOL

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Thanks, Cheezit, that's a big relief. I still need to get up on my Sagat countering. From what I hear from Shakugan and the tournaments in his area, people have been losing to gay Sagats. I'm not down for losing to a Sagat, to be honest. I'm gonna learn that matchup in particular. I've got a lot of work. I've just not played in so long >.<

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
Thanks, Cheezit, that's a big relief. I still need to get up on my Sagat countering. From what I hear from Shakugan and the tournaments in his area, people have been losing to gay Sagats. I'm not down for losing to a Sagat, to be honest. I'm gonna learn that matchup in particular. I've got a lot of work. I've just not played in so long >.<
tiger tiger tiger tiger tiger tiger.

tiger uppercut

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
I do love Wawa's.

Mogwai- Are you going to this?

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
LOL! I was just linked here and I went to last page and posted. Good **** Vanz.

I'm going to the 7th tourny.

I'm going to stalk Scar since I has his number now.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
tiger tiger tiger tiger tiger tiger.

tiger uppercut
LOL, that's exactly what Shakugan lost to. That fool said he was gonna play Ken. In true fashion, he screwed up and went C. Viper. JUST missed the finals and making it to round 2. If he went Ken...that Sagat would have been no problem. He knew, the Sagat player knew it...and he was pissed.

That, however, is the biggest reason why I'm hoping we can use other characters except for the starters. I'll **** the balls off of Sagat with Cammy AND Sakura, xD. However, if we can't, then I have to go Ken again. Still in all, I need the practice.

Enough about SF4, though. Melee is gonna be some epic, epic, epic stuff. SPOC VII, well....there's way too much epic for any normal TO to handle. Then again...we have Scar, so I'm not gonna worry. :chuckle:

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
Stop with the petty *****ing, draw a line in the sand and get the community to stand behind it if you want to ban it. Then we can hold all techniques up to that line to decide if they should banned.
Well I did say to ban every
unrelated insults
Yeah, whatever. You seem to somehow still be missing the point.

If you are debating something, you should be trying to prove why a certain point of view is acceptable. To prove why that point of view is acceptable, you give reasons to justify it. What pocky didn't do is respond to the reasons people gave to justify his argument. Instead, he said he disagreed with the conclusion, which was the point of view that wobbles is not allowed. This is ignoring the reason. Yes, I am 100% aware that all pocky was arguing was that it's you shouldn't ban wobbles because you are just deciding that x technique becomes the next best technique. There are MORE reasons to why wobbling or is banned than just "it's the best technique" though it certainly is and could be considered broken enough to be banned for that reason. Other people GAVE more reasons why it should have been banned. He chose to ignore them simply on the basis that his one reason to have it allowed was legitimate to him.

ok, so let's take the most compelling post that pocky ignored, say Umbreon's.
Fine, whatever. This has proved that wobbling is not terribly difficult, can be done in many situations, may take a bit of time, and is generally unfun. POCKY AND I ****ING GET IT. WHICH IS THESE REASONS IS THE STRAW THAT'S BREAKING THE CAMEL'S BACK? We want exactly what condition is the condition for a ban. You're not giving it to us. You're giving us a million complaints, but you're not saying "THIS RIGHT HERE IS WHAT'S OK AND WOBBLING DOESN'T FALL INTO THIS CATEGORY." Without ever making a statement of what EXACTLY is making Wobbling so much worse than everything else, there's no precedent being set for judging other rules which make the ban 100% arbitrary, which is just a slippery slope for people being able to complain about other tactics.
While most of the reasons Mow gave were enough for me, let me just pick tournaments running too long.

It's completely undeniable that tournaments often run too late. The last No Johns Biweekly that I went to started late and ended past 1 because it started too late and I couldn't enter draft crews as a result. The last Melee tournament before that I went to was a Tunes biweekly and me, Cactuar, and Eggm had to split top 3 and weren't allowed to play it out because the venue had to close. The last melee tournament I went to before that was Smashtastrophe 2. It was run quite well but it still went to like 3 or 4 AM and crews was forced to be single elimination due to time constraints. There is a timer for a reason but even the timer isn't enough to keep tournaments from running too late.

With wobbling allowed, it could easily be considered that you need to get someone to 200 or 300 percent to get a kill, possibly higher. Or are you going to give an arbitrary percent where beyond that point is stalling? Regardless, it takes a long amount of time to get there. Let's take a Fox vs Icies match on Dreamland. The Fox player doesn't want to get grabbed so he is going to camp but let's say the Icies player read some decision and got a grab. Now we have to wait till 300+% and then the match continues. Just the sheer act of wobbling is time consuming but the match becomes significantly longer than just that because the opposing player has to play extremely safe and campy to not get grabbed and they are going to counterpick a highly campy stage. This is going to make matches and sets take longer than they normally do. As a result even MORE tournaments are going to run too late.

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
wait 200-300 percent for a kill?

do you have to kill with a throw or something?
i thought you could just like charge a smash
Yeah, you can use a smash to kill them. However, if they're a heavy character they live longer and it could be interpreted that you need massive percent for a kill because if they smash DI on every frame possible they will live absurdly high. I messed around in training mode a few years ago and survived Samus' charge shot from the center of FD until around that percent range IIRC

EDIT: Also see this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFxdYCr5yAI&feature=related

****** prolly knows some way to survive Icies smash attacks till 800% with secret d-pad DI

pockyD

Smash Legend
my solution, aside from that ambiguous "stalling: no stalling" stuff that barlw tournaments have and even melee continues to have (rising pound?), is to let a player request to be released whenever they want to, on the condition that they go suicide

originally pitched it for dedede's fun stuff since it takes him MUCH longer to KO, but it could work for any sort of 'infinite' grab/wall stall, really

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
I might go all Samus again for this tournament, just for Lite. Maybe add Bowser or Peach into the mix, I don't know lol. What should I do guys?

Eggm

Smash Hero
I might go all Samus again for this tournament, just for Lite. Maybe add Bowser or Peach into the mix, I don't know lol. What should I do guys?
Peach. I just saw your peach for the first time on that crew battle vanz put up. Your a natural. Also its a mario game character and I like the fact that you play main mario char's thats awesome. I think you could bring peach to an unbeforeseen level cause she fits your style perfectly. She needs to be campy and patient to bring out her fullest potential and need a lot of recovery mindgames too. Also shes more techincal than people think and so are you the **** you care about and practice is on point like nearly frame perfect. If you put that much time like you did into mastering that ultra jump stuff on mario RPG and other random nintendo things into peach tech skill you will be so mega beast with her.

Where the hell was your peach in r3 vs m2k? :(

Also mogwai you can't do that regrab infinte that wobbles does unless your near the edge cause nana does random throws but near the edge she always does forward throw. So its not just as good as wobbles but harder to pull off you need to be near the ledge of the stage.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Lol. I beat Eggm in tournament with ICs thanks to wobbling. Not a broken tech at all. I love that tech. It should always be legal.

Top Bottom