• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBrosHawaii and Da-Planet present: Hawaii Smash Invitational 2008

Darkmusician

Smash Master
Well I've been putting this off for too long.

Name: Hawaii Smash Invitational 2008

Where at: Da-Planet Honolulu
Address: 2615 S. King St. #312
Honolulu, HI 96826
Retail Store Hours
8AM-9PM Mon-Thurs
8AM-10PM Fri,
10AM-10PM Sat
10AM-6PM Sun.
Phone Number: 808-791-2345
Fax 808-791-2347

When: July 26 and 27th (11am to 6pm) We can possibly stay longer should we run out of time. 6pm is just when the store stops selling stuff.

Entry Fee:
House Fee: $3.00 per day
All Singles events: $20.00
All Teams events: $10.00 per team mate
Crew Battles Free

Brawl Singles
1st place-$500.00
2nd place-$250.00
3rd place-$125.00
4th place-$80.00
5th-8th place-$40.00
9th-16th place-$20.00

Tentative Schedule
July 22nd
PC Chris and Spin-Dash Arrive

July 22nd or July 23rd(either day)
Melee Singles and Melee Teams

July 24th
Smashfest

July 25th
Free Day

July 26th
Maui Players Arrive
Brawl Teams
Crew Battles

July 27th
Brawl Singles (with pools)

July 28th
Maui Players Leave
Free Day

July 29th
Free Day

July 30th
Free Day
PC Chris, Spin-Dash leave

Kay das all for now. I'll update this as we go along.

People Attending...

1. DarkMusician
2. PC Chris
3. Sniperworm
4. WAR
5. Firefly
6. AnubisGX
7. Convael
8. Motorsho
9. TerenceLau
10. Zaukkien
11. Merc
12. SwiftKai
13. Flex
14. Kurai
15. Shumpenpo
16. Dstycube
17. J*Lee
18. BungeeJumpah
19. Toph
20. Harmonicry
21. MisterBee
22. Superman Ninja
23. Y
24. FingerP@ss
25. deadleather
26. Courage
27. Axion
28. MellowD
29. Trepidation
30. Kimo
31. Casey Kitano
32. Restless
33. Alex
34. Chris Min.
35. Brandon Moriguchi.
36. Dylan S.
37. Cody S
38. Kalen T
39. Spin Dash
40. ME
41. Rodney
42. Olimar James (tentative)
43. pakpak:3
44. FTL
45. Axel
46. Yasha
47. Martyelm
48. LethalTrilogy
49. Hiro
50. Final
51. Saido
52. Zephyr
53. AeroW
54. Allen
55. Tomanator33
56. Dookdigity
57. Johnson
58. SnowSmileBOC
59. Neil
60. DanL
61. Joshua Pita
62. Andrew Yee
63. Matthew Yee
64. Atomsk
65. Rave
66. Asadelta
67. Justin Kim
68. Uremog aka Moggy
69. Kasai
70. Plasmid
71. Shave
72. Keith
73. Archie T.

cubaisdeath

Smash Lord
DAYUMN. Lets get this thread bumping. Btw Bobby, you are no longer bottom tier material....unless you wanna pick up falcon with me LOL

TerenceLau

Smash Ace
OMG Korean DJ is coming to Hawaii!!!
I think it's worth a trip to see KDJ alone, not to mention other mainland pros such as PC Chris, Cuba Is Death, members from Combo Status, etc.

TOO GOOD!!

Darkmusician

Smash Master
I'm not sure how early we'll be able to start the smashfest/BBQ.

If we start early enough we should be able to do Teams and Singles for Melee tournament.

However IF we are unable to have time for both what would everyone prefer? Melee Teams or Singles.

Brawl Teams and Singles are for sure so don't worry about those.

P.c. Chris

Smash Lord
This might be my last big tournament i make an effort to travel too. Im really excited :D can't wait to meet everyone.

Flying in Tuesday, July 22nd 2:18 PM @HNL airport.
DEparting D: on Wednesday, July 30th 4:19 PM@ HNL airport.

Spin-Dash

Smash Journeyman
I really, really, REALLY want to go. For Melee & Brawl alike. My Mom would probably think I'm a total nut, going to Hawaii just for a Smash tournament. But hey! A hot-spot like that? Vacation ftw! We need more Canadian Sonic representing anyways. And I could use one vacation of travelling before I go to college in the beginning of 09'.

I'll see what I can do. It would be an HONOR to play professionals such as Eggz, PC Chris, Korean DJ, and Forward, and so on and so forth.. ... And prolly' get 4-stocked while I do it. XD Irregardless (lol, non-existant word ftw), a vacation + experience and a half for both games. Is made of win in my books.

God. This will make me sound like SUCH a newbie, but is that title of "Invitational" for show in the name of the tournament? Or do you have to be "invited" to go? XD

Darkmusician

Smash Master
I really, really, REALLY want to go. For Melee & Brawl alike. My Mom would probably think I'm a total nut, going to Hawaii just for a Smash tournament. But hey! A hot-spot like that? Vacation ftw! We need more Canadian Sonic representing anyways. And I could use one vacation of travelling before I go to college in the beginning of 09'.

I'll see what I can do. It would be an HONOR to play professionals such as Eggz, PC Chris, Korean DJ, and Forward, and so on and so forth.. ... And prolly' get 4-stocked while I do it. XD Irregardless (lol, non-existant word ftw), a vacation + experience and a half for both games. Is made of win in my books.

God. This will make me sound like SUCH a newbie, but is that title of "Invitational" for show in the name of the tournament? Or do you have to be "invited" to go? XD
We invited players but you're more than welcome to come if you want. :]

Spin-Dash

Smash Journeyman
Rockin'~ I'll have to check the flights and see how cheap I can fly for. XD! The less money spent, the better. I'll fill you in ASAP about my condition for coming. I just hope I can figure things out soon so I can figure out if I can be fortunate enough to get housing. :p

TerenceLau

Smash Ace
i really think more stuff should be added to the title so people know how awesome of a tournament can hawaii throw. well known mainland pros, uprising hawaii brawlers, $1500 prize pot, hot vacation spot... god **** i am excited for this.

it'll be either joel or i housing PC. we can discuss later.

TerenceLau

Smash Ace
I understand. But if you can manage to come, it'll be one hell of a vacation you will never regret going to. We are all nice people and can tell you the good places on the island. Sometimes it's not just about the tournament.

uremog

Smash Ace
just in case some ppl didn't know, two of the major direct fliers to hawaii have gone out of business recently. aloha air and one other. so the earlier you can get a flight ticket, the better (as always).

TerenceLau

Smash Ace
true that true that. i appreciate the ones who actually find ways to make money for their tickets instead of saying "oh, I really wanna come pwn you but plane is just too expensive." mainland tournaments are all about hardcore smashing, but hawaii is a bit different. we will give you fun times besides the great smash playing. we won't let your tickets go to waste just for a tournament!

Darkmusician

Smash Master
No doubt man. I'm thinking a beach day is definitely in order. hehehe

Also we'll be going around town shopping it up and checking places/and people out lolz

And don't forget the ono-licious local kine grinds (yummy food)

Oh and don't forget the BBQ fest. That's gonna be special.

Da-Planet our gracious venue has just purchased two new tvs along with their inventory of about 7-8.

Also Terence you can post back here whenever you talk to your landlord. Thanks.

If there are any questions go ahead and ask.

Spin-Dash

Smash Journeyman
I am totally digging these side-quests of enjoying Hawaii for all that it's worth.

DarkMusician? Consider me 100% confirmed for the Hawaii Smash Invitational.

Keeping my fingers crossed for this. But I SERIOUSLY hope that I can get housing! As it stands, I'll be the sole representative of Canada (unless Sid "LemonLau" joins the party, then we're coming for Smashing Doubles in full force.)

I need a vacation. And what better then enjoying Hawaii and playing video games all at the same time?

It's time to find the best flight rates and determine how much spending money I'll bring.

To be honest, this is kind of like a dream come true for me. The community is nothing short of amazing and it's not every day you get the opportunity to play alongside some of the greats of Smash Bros. Let's have a blast, enjoy a little vacation; and I hope to do Canada proud ftw.

Happy Smashings.

TerenceLau

Smash Ace
alright, i guess i will post up my plan of housing. My friend Joel will be able to house 1 or 2 people at his place, but that can only happen if he isn't busy working in a exchange program during our tournament week. If **** happens, then I am going to take the 1 or 2 that he is already housing to my place. Problem solved.

Now that I realize there are actually more people looking for housing but Hawaii can just only provide so much. It's because most of us still live with our families (including DarkMusician and I) and it may cause problems and inconvenience.

Here's the last resort.

There is an empty apartment below mine (I live in a duplex, or a splitted house) available. It still needs to get some paper works done in order to lease it and it may take a while. I am trying to talk to my landlord to open it up for us just sleeping at night or have a station to play a little smash if I can get a TV there and the electricity works. But since I am asking for a favor, I can't host a good 8 to 10 people because it's just too ridiculous. I think anything else than 4 or 5 is fine. Also, if I can get you guys to chip in a little money to sweeten the deal, that'd be nice too. It won't be a great amount where it could get you a motel room but a little to show respect.

I work in the summer too so some days I might not be able to drive you guys around. I might have other people to keep you company during the day. But that's another story.

Spin-Dash

Smash Journeyman
I tend to offer a little settlement of cash for housing/whatever anyways. If I really had to, I could afford motels/hotels. But Hawaii being such a hot spot, I'll bet that it's still super expensive (In Niagara Falls, at a decent motel it costed around $200 dollars a night. O_o; ).

I'll be sure to bring up a couple of questions such as convenience of arrival and the duration of my stay (though I found out that the longer I stay, the less expensive the flight is. Weird. O_o; ), I might just copy PC and show up on the 22nd and mosey off on the 30th. :p

If there are any questions needed to be asked of me if we can arrange housing? DMusician's got my contact info via the webs and AIM (hikari to yamii)

Or just send me a PM or an E-mail. Until I buy some time cards for international calling ftw, we can't contact one another verbally without my phone racking up the $$$.

Too **** excited for this. Seriously.

TerenceLau

Smash Ace
as far as convenience, me and darkmusician live fairly close to the airport and town, where most of the events are held. since we are housing oos players, it's also our responsibilities to drive you guys around and stuff. if anything, you can talk to darkmusician and eventually your words will end up in my ears or i will just do whatever darkmusician asks me to do in terms of picking up people and stuff.

if nobody else in hawaii can house you, then it's all up to the emtpy apartment right below mine. i am the last resort as i mentioned before. because i can probably offer the most basic housing compared to others.

if you decide to come on the same date as pc, that'd be better because i am taking pc already.

sorry about not having everything down because i just came up with the empty apartment plan like yesterday.

Darkmusician

Smash Master
****, I really want to go to this, but plane tickets are hella expensive. D:
Yeah man, I've been asking alot of people. And that's pretty much the main problem. I can relate because it costs me over 500 to travel anywhere on the mainland.

It'll be worth it if you come though I promise.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
I'll be thinking it over. I've wanted to go to HI for the longest time. It really depends on how fun AZ12 is, how well I do, whether I can find a discount to go to this, and a few other things. I might try to snag my girl, and just hit up a hotel and stay the full weekend, so that I can do smash, in conjunction to finally getting to go somewhere nice with her.

Plus, I love me some Forward, and I need to **** sumdat KDJ and PC.

Darkmusician

Smash Master
Sounds good to me man. Just post back here when you've made your decision. Hawaii is really excited for this.

Spin-Dash

Smash Journeyman
Well as it stands if I can actually arrive on the 22nd and leave on the 30th, that comes to a total of around $850 for the plane tickets. Probably because I'm travelling to another country, let alone Hawaii. That doesn't count spending money or whatever else I'll need either.

There's something I need to discuss with a friend (I'm still coming to this, 100% for certain) before I need to discuss housing and times and arrangements with one of you. I'll give one of you guys a shout when I can do such.

And duuude. Come aboard! :p The more Smashers the better, more Melee/Brawl to go around. Plus, I could use more Sonic friendlies.

Oh. And some PC Chris/etc. ftw :p

dookdigity

Smash Journeyman
Dammit! I would totally go to this event, but I am going to the Smash Royal Tournament. Let me know next time there is a tourney in Hawaii because I will totally be there!

TerenceLau

Smash Ace
this is probably the only big one for brawl and melee, ever. plus pros like pc chris and kdj are gonna stop travelling for tournaments from what i understand. if you miss this then i guess it's just too bad.

Darkmusician

Smash Master
Yeah I don't know if I'll ever be able to do something like this again. I'm getting too old for this sort of thing. I might have to call it quits soon.

Spin-Dash

Smash Journeyman
Well, if this is the last one for you, then I'll just glad to be there for one final Hawaiian salute to Smash Bros., under your direction, that is. :p

Darkmusician

Smash Master
Hehehe yeah, I'll be graduating from college in 3 semesters so I'll have one more summer after this to organize something but it won't be like this one. I'm gonna put all my efforts into making this awesome.

Oh btw I added you to the list Spin-Dash.

Spin-Dash

Smash Journeyman
I'm in a semi-sorta opposite perdicament from you. :p I've graduated from High School but this will be my last vacation before enrolling in College in the beginning of 09'!

Rockin'. And so the numbers rise.

Spin-Dash

Smash Journeyman
Hahaha!! A good thing indeed!

TerenceLau?

I'm showing up on the 22nd and leaving on the 30th; like PC Chris. If it wouldn't be too much to ask, could you possibly message me via AIM, MSN, or whatever else possible? Or Bobby. Because it'd be awesome to get housing arranged. I hope that things are possible and if I'm imposing in anyway, then I apologize. Whether I'm housing or forced to resort to a hotel is the last thing I need confirmed.

Darkmusician

Smash Master
Well Spin-Dash you're the second person to confirm flight plans so I'll get you housed no problem. Who you'll be staying with is what we'll be discussing as a group on the 22nd.

I'll announce this again but AnubisGX, ZKO, Terence, Merc, Firefly and myself. We should meet after this coming monthly. (probably Zippeys again) And discuss who will be housing who.

TerenceLau

Smash Ace
joel too. because i don't really know what he has in mind and his upcoming plans. then give nick carter a call.

spin dash: my aim is terence lau 331 and msn is bioplast4fishies@hotmail.com . you can talk to me whenever you catch me online. but the housing isn't fully planned out yet so i probably won't be able to give you much information. maybe lurking more in this thread will do you better.

Top Bottom