• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - July 29th

DeOnde

Smash Cadet
HERE'S TAKAMARU!

He will be an assist trophy and his game is finally arriving the US E-Shop.

HERE'S A PAPER MARIO BACKGROUND!

It's a stage from the least-loved Paper Mario game with a consolation S.S. Flavion (Hope we get some more memorable stages shifts, specialy from the original P.M.).

It's the Consolation Prize week!

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
The thing I noticed most was, "here's a Paper Mario...". Please note "a", which is not the word "the". Why? "A" does not mean it's the only one, unlike the word "the", which he did not use. ;p ;)
Oh God no, stop there. Are we really that desperate that we are going to start picking apart what Sakurai said by pointing out whether he used a definitive or indefinite article to precede a noun?
It's basically Palutena's statue all over again.

Chase

Smash Ace
Paper Mario deconfirmed? I don't think he would have revealed the stage before the character. Best we can hope for is an alternate costume for Mario but that wouldn't really work given proportional and animation differences. We'll see...Fantastic looking stage though.
Little Mac and Palutena (and Ridley if you don't think he's a boss).

RedRambo4

Smash Cadet
Paper Mario as a character would be cool, I'm just trying to imagine what his moveset would be like

ThatLunaticFeline

Smash Journeyman
Wow, two nice reveals this week, and with 2 stages last week this is really looking promising. Maybe Sakurai realised that he didn't have much time left and has quickly started rushing out all the other new stuff. If this is so, I can't wait for potentially a character reveal. I'm waiting for Falco here!

Sqa$

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bazaar
I saw these and almost cried. I freaking love Paper Mario. I don't care if the whole thing is just the stage, not a character. Nope, I'm okay with it. I also don't care if people call this stage not legal, I'm counterpicking like Brinstar used to be. Let's go! <3

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman
However, many of these stages implied that "so and so character" may be included in the roster. The Rosalina reveal came shortly after the Mario Galaxy stage reveal. Those who doubt about the Boxing Ring being tied to Little Mac were just in denial. There have been several stages that pre-dated a character reveal. Therefore, I do not see this stage deconfirmed Paper Mario in the slightest.

I am loving all of these stages. Paper Mario was long overdo for some major representation. I never supported Paper Mario, mostly due to me being unfamiliar with the series, but I always enjoyed the idea of his inclusion. With this, his inclusion may be a bit more brighter though I wouldn't bet on it.
Didnt Sakurai never mention those characters by name if he was hinting at them to be playable? This PotD he said Paper Mario's name instead of something like "whoa man its a paper stage". Even with the Palutena statue he called her the "Goddess of Light"

MBakhsh

Smash Apprentice
Mario Galaxy is a Mario stage. Prism Tower is a Pokémon stage. Arena Ferox is a Fire Emblem stage. Showing those stages before showing Rosalina, Greninja, or Robin and Lucina, respectively, did not in any way tip off that those specific characters would appear in playable status. By that logic, showing Tortimer Island hints at Tortimer being playable and showing Wily Castle hints at Dr. Wily being playable. Those stages, unlike the Paper Mario stage, are not tied to a single character but rather a franchise with multiple potential characters, including characters that are already represented in the game, such as Mario and Pikachu.
Honestly this seems like nitpicking to me...Sakurai does whatever he wants, and Game & Watch being confirmed before being "confirmed" shows that even blatant tip-offs are fine. This is a hell of a lot more ambiguous than that.
While this may not necessarily mean he's playable or even more likely, today's pic far from deconfirms him.

Green_Pikmin*

Smash Journeyman
I saw these and almost cried. I freaking love Paper Mario. I don't care if the whole thing is just the stage, not a character. Nope, I'm okay with it. I also don't care if people call this stage not legal, I'm counterpicking like Brinstar used to be. Let's go! <3
Maybe Paper Mario is gonna be revealed on august 11th for the annoversary of paper mario 64 japan release
e

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Sweet! Possible Paper Mario?
Also, to those who don't like Sticker Star in this stage:
1. It looks like it'll transform into things from all sorts of Paper Mario games.
2. Some people still like the game.

MM720

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM720
3DS FC
0259-0380-4806
YES!!! Finally the PM series gets some love. Hopefully we get a Paper Mario stage for the Wii U, too :3

Now I just need a Luigi's Mansion themed stage and I'm set.

Also am I the only one wondering how the "Final Destination version" of this stage will look like? PLEASE Sakurai don't restrict it to only the Sticker Star version :3

Doompatron3000

Smash Journeyman
I'm glad for Paper Mario, but, this looks like yet another stage in which it moves around. Why are we getting so many of them?

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
I'm liking this stage. I'm guessing it will have more parts to it though. Here's hoping for representation from PM64 and SPM.

SirSplash

Smash Rookie
if they were to make a pm64 and spm stage i would want crystal palace/castle bleck any other suggestions

CrimsonYoshi

Smash Apprentice
If he was a character, he'd probably be smaller and floater than Mario, and use his hammer for side/neutral specials (the hammer type of the 3 would be random, with wood being the weakest and most probable). His final smash would probably have to do with his partners in PM64 or TTYD. (please no kersti to scream at everyone..)

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
Like many people said before I loved the Original Paper Mario and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. Both games are amazing. Never was a fan of Super Paper Mario, and I enjoy Paper Mario Sticker Stars but don't think it near as good as the first two Paper Mario Games. Glade to see Thousand Year Door got representation in a stage.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Didnt Sakurai never mention those characters by name if he was hinting at them to be playable? This PotD he said Paper Mario's name instead of something like "whoa man its a paper stage". Even with the Palutena statue he called her the "Goddess of Light"
..........because Paper Mario is the name of the franchise....

He wasn't referring to the character but the name of the series, since, well...that's the name of the series. The Japanese MiiVerse says "For the first in Super Smash Bros., a stage from the "Paper Mario" series makes an appearance. Since it is made of paper, it can be blown by the wind." (Do note that the older Japanese name was "Mario Story" but was changed to "Paper Mario" when the "Thousand Year Old Door" was released.)

Sakurai was referring to the series, not the character.

Last edited:

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Paper Mario 64 is the only Mario RPG I stuck with to the end so I hope that gets represented in this stage somehow, I'd be okay with just music from the game, specifically the Koopa Bros theme.

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
There are so many good music tracks in the Paper Mario franchise, so please select the right ones, Sakurai! And also, add a Paper Mario stage in the Wii U version as well! Have many music tracks too!

If Paper Mario will be a playable character, then he will automatically be my main. Please please PLEASE!!

I would literally kill a man for the Paper Mario Battle Music.

Tabuhli

Smash Rookie
This is literally a game seller for me. I was hesitant on getting the 3DS version before the Wii U version, but the fact that this game is getting TTYD representation in a stage is enough to convince me to buy this game day 1.

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
2. Some people still like the game.

Uh, no...

But in all seriousness, TYD is one of my favorite games of all time (if just wasn't so easy now...). I love it to death. If we got more transformations from TYD, we would probs see boss battle areas like hooktail castle, glitzville's arena, or (my favorite) twilight town (with a gimmick of people being turned into pigs...).

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Uh, no...

But in all seriousness, TYD is one of my favorite games of all time (if just wasn't so easy now...). I love it to death. If we got more transformations from TYD, we would probs see boss battle areas like hooktail castle, glitzville's arena, or (my favorite) twilight town (with a gimmick of people being turned into pigs...).
Time to say something that hopefully won't get me bashed, I hated Thousand Year Door and think Sticker Star was the best Paper Mario.

DirtyPete

Smash Cadet
paper mario
pm
Project M
Sakurai confirmed for pm backroom illuminati

Seriously though, i havent been this hyped for a stage reveal in... ever, really. Not even because i think it confirms paper mario as a character or something, im just really excited that paper mario is getting SOME sort of recognition in smash.

and while everyone is talking about what other paper mario stage theyd like, id be happy with a goomba king stage from pm64 near his "castle" .

for the discussion of whether this confirms or deconfirms paper mario character representation, i have a question: are there any examples of a stage representing a franchise or a spinoff of a franchise, but there wasnt a character from that franchise/spinoff?

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
Time to say something that hopefully won't get me bashed, I hated Thousand Year Door and think Sticker Star was the best Paper Mario.

You can't just hate the favorite of the series and love the hated without a reason... Explain yourself...

You probably just don't like RPG's though. Which is fine, but that's what made paper Mario awesome and unique. If you didnt know a about prior games, I could see sticker being an ok game (even though I believe it is poorly designed, I understand other people don't notice or care about bad design if its fun). To each his own.

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
If the page turns there might be more to the stage that hasn't been shown yet, which would be pretty cool. Nice to see the part of Mario franchise I like being represented in smash bros, but personally with Mario and Luigi already around I don't really need the paper version of either of them. Maybe Count Bleck from Super Paper Mario would be a good pick for more villain reps?

That only if Paper Mario is getting a rep.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
You can't just hate the favorite of the series and love the hated without a reason... Explain yourself...

You probably just don't like RPG's though. Which is fine, but that's what made paper Mario awesome and unique. If you didnt know a about prior games, I could see sticker being an ok game (even though I believe it is poorly designed, I understand other people don't notice or care about bad design if its fun). To each his own.
I found TYD really boring. I don't have it, but I played it an my friend's and it was REALLY boring IMO. Sticker Star was a lot more interesting.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Interesting! I always love it when a new stage is revealed.

And while Sticker Star is my least favorite Paper Mario game (I like Super, TTYD, and 64 almost equally), I'm glad the Paper Mario universe is represented.

And I have no clue if this means that Paper Mario will be a character. This isn't a shoe-in as there is a Nintendogs stage and we only have them as an Assist Trophy. Also, there was that Electroplankton stage in Brawl. I don't think there was an Electroplankton character.

However, I wouldn't mind having Paper Mario if they made him different from Mario. As my signature says, as long as it ain't a clone character, I'm fine with any newcomer (though my sig shows my PREFERRED newcomers).

Top Bottom