• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - July 28th

TheFadedWarrior

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MortifiedPanda
I love how Sakurai said that he's an assist trophy in parentheses at the end of the sentence. He likes seeing sad faces.

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
At least Takamaru is in the game. While I feel bad for people who really wanted him or thought he had a strong chance, I'll admit I'm glad there's more focus on current popular characters. There's still some retro love going around (mega man, Pac-man, little Mac) but other newcomers Like Robin and Lucina have really helped me be more interested in a game. Smash has some great retro characters as playables, and with the desires to see Ridley and K. Rool and Issac, I just feel like if they are to have a better chance we can't afford more retro. Newer characters like Shulk seem more likely and possibly better choices for them to include since Xenoblade will have another game. Ice Climbers, despite their inclusion, haven't had another game yet, and Takamaru may be much the same. (Though I'm not sure on that one since I guess he was in a fighting game?)

Doompatron3000

Smash Journeyman
...Pac-Man?
Not really, he's had some recent games with the design he has in Smash 4.

Granted this game is over a decade old, so I suppose if you want to call Pac-Man a retro character, so is Ness.

Edit: I've only played Pac-Man World 2, so I never knew there was this:

It was released in 2005, so, in terms of technically, let's put in Pac-Man, Ness, Lucas, and Captain Falcon, as "retro" characters.

Last edited:

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440

O....O
hehehheheh* found on neogaf*
This has me laughing at all corners (although if Shulk gets in as an AT, then I'll probably take those words back).

Anyways I feel sorry that Takamaru didn't make it in, was hoping for Little Mac vs Takamaru matches (I had a strong feeling he was going to get the assist trophy treatment, it was only a matter of time), now hopefully we can move on and except more of our most wanted characters to hopefully make it in.

The21stSmasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7518-6470-1706
I'm not one of the people who wanted Takamaru in, but why make him as a assist trophy?!? Just to troll again? :confused:

But hopefully this isn't suppose to be the "surprise" that Sakurai was talking about before Comic-Con 2014 got started, otherwise I'll be pissed!

Last edited:

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
At least Takamaru is in the game. While I feel bad for people who really wanted him or thought he had a strong chance, I'll admit I'm glad there's more focus on current popular characters. There's still some retro love going around (mega man, Pac-man, little Mac) but other newcomers Like Robin and Lucina have really helped me be more interested in a game. Smash has some great retro characters as playables, and with the desires to see Ridley and K. Rool and Issac, I just feel like if they are to have a better chance we can't afford more retro. Newer characters like Shulk seem more likely and possibly better choices for them to include since Xenoblade will have another game. Ice Climbers, despite their inclusion, haven't had another game yet, and Takamaru may be much the same. (Though I'm not sure on that one since I guess he was in a fighting game?)
Takamaru DID appear in at least 2 other titles (none of them were from his franchise). I forget the if he appeared in others (the Nintendo Land one doesn't count for him as he didn't appear [though the Miis were dressed like him and the minigame had his game's atmosphere]).

One of them was Captain Rainbow. He was a character who needed Captain Rainbow's help in order to overcome a problem he had (I THINK he had a hard time getting Crazy Tracy to like him).

The other time I can remember seeing Takamaru as a character was when Samurai Warriors 3 was released. The Wii version of the game (the game was released for the Wii, PS3, and PSP IIRC) had a whole section dedicated to Nazo no Murasame Jō. You could also play as Takamaru.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
When I saw the pic I was Takamaru? Seriously..........then I finished reading and I was....meh another thing I will never see outside of Classic Mode.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Yeah, because Samurai Goroh TOTALLY uses pinwheel knife attacks.

Doesn't hurt to keep all of the current FE characters either, and only Lucina is a clone while the rest are unique.
And make on of them an AT? Why of course, everyone knows that if one of them becomes an assist trophy a new unique character materializes in it's place. That is EXACTLY how it works.
I meant every word I said, wether it "works" or not. And I'm obviously not actually expecting him to switcheroo an AT with a PC anytime soon.

The point is, Sakurai finds Takamaru generic, but he can totally pull out a moveset for a character who only had TWO attack animations, and then make a fire version of it, a heavy version of it, and a non-tipper version of it.

Sides I just recalled we have Lyndis as an AT. So it must be some sort of bias against katanas. :/

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
I can,t believe that people are losing there minds right now. Am too. But, I still want takamaru in the game in another time or day.

At least is in the game somehow in another.
I think Sakurai next Target is gonna be Sukapon, that could be blow away my minds.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
That sucks. Quite disappointed to see him as an AT but his model looks badass. There's always Smash 5

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Battousai mode off.

Well, it's great to see a cool looking and unique AT.
I'll definitely be buying the VC worldwide re-release, just like I did with Sin & Punishment, except I have played the game before, and I loved it already.

Wonder if this guy should deliver a 1-hit KO move to those who approach him.

Anyway, hopefully for the next game. (Although I'm not entirely certain if I'll be up for another SSB game after this one)

GOLDENMOP

Smash Cadet
I knew he wasn't going to be playable, not quite sure why everyone was certain he was confirmed, also Sakurai, you troll

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Sucks since I would have loved to see him as a playable character.

Now I wonder if that Samurai from the 3DS eShop game Sakura Samurai will make an appearance. And same goes for Mallo from Pushmo.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Despite my own disappointment, I'm pretty happy that so many people are in the same boat, are already optimistic about his future, and that there's few people who are trying to stick a finger in our eye over this ala Chrom.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
It was released in 2005, so, in terms of technically, let's put in Pac-Man, Ness, Lucas, and Captain Falcon, as "retro" characters.
They are.

(You're also forgetting that Takamaru more recently had his own spots in Nintendoland and Captain Rainbow.)

Last edited:

Xenado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Stevoman810
3DS FC
4699-7704-3965
he is also an assist trophy

bkslider

Smash Journeyman
He would have been fun to play as, but I'm not too attached to the character. And every new AT that is not Isaac or Ray MK keeps my hopes up for those two.

MTCStudios

Smash Rookie
Pretty sweet inclusion c: maybe this'll have the little mac effect and he'll be playable next console

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I feel the ressurrection of his franchise is imminent. But apparently not in the foreseeable future. But it's coming. His role as an assist trophy might help.

At first I was puzzled about everyone mentnioning the "punch out treatment", but now that I think about it. Little Mac was an assist, then he got a cameo in another game, then he got his OWN game again, and finally revealed as a playable fighter.

If Takamaru is to share that same fate, then I'm all for it. The NNMJ revival is going to be sweet, and hopefully I'll be a proud owner of the game.

Maybe Next Level games can work their magic on it too!

Remember guys this could be a little mac situation. "Assist Trophies: The interns of Smash Bros."
Poor Stafy and Saki. :(

Last edited:
Top Bottom