• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - July 28th

Smashboards

18 years old!
Administrator
Premium
Writing Team
Super Smash Bros. for WiiU & 3DS director Masahiro Sakurai said: "Pic of the day. I, Takamaru, have waited many years to appear in Super Smash Bros.! Link, Samus, Pit, and I debuted in the same year! Multidirectional Pinwheel Knife Rook Attack!! (FYI, I'm an Assist Trophy.)"

Last edited by a moderator:

NekuShikazu

Smash Journeyman
I've got to admit that I know very little about Takumaru but all I can take from this is that Sakurai just trolled those who wanted Takumaru as playable.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Wow, suddenly I'm reminded of the Ashley picture of the day.

Sakurai really is a master-class troll.

Arthreeteseven

Smash Ace
Maybe this means Sheriff has a chance! I personally think he is a better choice for a classic revival character, but I would have been happy with Takamaru too.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
Perhaps he will get the lil mac treatment and will be upgraded to playable status in smash 5

Finkrat

Smash Rookie
NNID
Finkrat3932
I unfortunately didn't know anything about this character until the challenge at Comic-Con, but he truly looked as if he would have been an interesting addition to the Smash Bros roster. As a Chrom supporter, I can really sympathize with all of his supporters. Hopefully he'll make a comeback in the next game like Little Mac did.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Masuhiro 'Hope Smasher' Sakurai

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
of all the classic Nintendo characters out there, I really thought he had a chance, especially with his connection to Link, Pit, and Samus. This may be the final nail in the coffin for me. They didn't even go with his updated design from Samurai Warriors 3.

The announcement of the game having a story, the sakurai making another saying he changed his mind really upset me. But I continued to be hopeful regardless. But so far we've herd nothing about a possible Adventure mode, or ANY single player modes for that matter. And now the character I wanted most wont be getting in. Really the only thing thatd make me want this game again is some news on Adventure mode, or possibly even the inclusion of Bayonetta, though I doubt tha'll happen.

Brawl was such a wonderful game, it had plenty to offer in terms of characters, single player modes, multi player modes, and event modes. It had something that could appeal to anyone. SSB4 seems to focus on nothing but multi player, which is fine and all, but I prefer to play games co-operatively, not competitively.

I think I might just skip this and wait till SSB5. So far I've no reason to buy this game, not anymore.

Last edited:

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
of all the classic Nintendo characters out there, I really thought he had a chance, especially with his connection to Link, Pit, and Samus. This may be the final nail in the coffin for me. They didn't even go with his updated design from Samurai Warriors 3.

The announcement of the game having a story, the sakurai making another saying he changed his mind really upset me. But I continued to be hopeful regardless. But so far we've herd nothing about a possible Adventure mode, or ANY single player modes for that matter. And now the character I wanted most wont be getting in. Really the only thing thatd make me want this game again is some news on Adventure mode, or possibly even the inclusion of Bayonetta, though I doubt tha'll happen.

Brawl was such a wonderful game, it had plenty to offer in terms of characters, single player modes, multi player modes, and event modes. It had something that could appeal to anyone. SSB4 seems to focus on nothing but multi player, which is fine and all, but I prefer to play games co-operatively, not competitively.

I think I might just skip this and wait till SSB5. So far I've no reason to buy this game, not anymore.
I heavily disagree about Brawl having something for everyone, but this is definitely no place to talk about that. Sorry you're not buying this game I guess.

EDIT: Why does there always have to be so much sadness with Assist Trophies? I understand someone being disappointed not having a wanted character playable, but at LEAST they're in the game. Smash Bros. is a game that comes around rarely, so it's amazing for a character to make an appearance in the game at all.

When Assist Trophies are revealed, I believe that it's another character who is joining the Nintendo celebration that is Smash Bros. Sure, Takamaru isn't playable, but he makes an actual appearance during gameplay to help the other famous Nintendo characters. Assist Trophies shouldn't act like character funerals; they're celebrations that add to the personality of Smash and strengthen the concept that Nintendo's finest come together to duke it out.

Last edited:

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
I understand the dissapointing reaction,but we have to realize that Takamaru would have been another generic sword fighter with a copy and pasted moveset from one of the other fire emblem characters,the reason why chrom was scrapped in favor of robin despite the huge demand.

Haydossy

Smash Journeyman
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I was ABOUT to post "YEEESS! I KNEW IT THANK YOU SAKURAI!" when I read the caption. :cry: I wanted him so much!

I understand the dissapointing reaction,but we have to realize that Takamaru would have been another generic sword fighter with a copy and pasted moveset from one of the other fire emblem characters,the reason why chrom was scrapped in favor of robin despite the huge demand.
Takamaru has shuriken, fire powers, lightning, invisibility, bombs, those multidirectional pinwheel knife rooks in the pic and other stuff. He could be something VERY different from a normal swordfighter.

Last edited:

Green_Pikmin*

Smash Journeyman
Well....yep looks like we have to wait for Ness's actual anniversary on august 27th for him to be confirmed, but as for takamaru, I think I'll just go in a 3 month coma. Zzzzzzz

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Yikes. I hate to say it though. I kinda saw this coming far before Smash 4 even began character speculations. It is very unfortunate, since there are quite a bit of people backing him. I honestly hate suggesting this, but it seems like his only real chance now is Project M. Good luck guys.

Last edited:

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I was ABOUT to post YEEESS! I KNEW IT when I read the caption. :cry: I wanted him so much!

Takamaru has shuriken, fire powers, invisibility, bombs, and other stuff. He could be something VERY different from a normal swordfighter.
With your response,I could see takamaru working with a moveset,similar to link,maybe XD

But what,I'm trying to say here is I don't think we'll be seeing any more potential sword characters after the backlash with Lucina,besides maybe Shulk.

Last edited:

Babali Boon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Babali
3DS FC
0447-5439-8345
I wasn't really anticipating him, but I'm sorry to see the majority of you so disappointed. And I was also praying for a character announcement today (and every day).

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Even before I read the whole caption, the triple projectile tipped me off that he wasn't a roster addition. That would be a pretty OP projectile, most likely.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Umm... Takamaru had plenty of move set potential.

Windmill shuriken
Throwing knives
Clay bombs
Flames
Swordbeams
Invisibility
Inazuma lightning

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
Umm... Takamaru had plenty of move set potential.

Windmill shuriken
Throwing knives
Clay bombs
Flames
Swordbeams
Invisibility
Inazuma lightning
Not to mention all current sword users have straight, european, inspired sword designs and fighting styles. Takamaru would be the first katana style sword user, and the first SSB character with a distinct eastern theme.

Last edited:

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
With your response,I could see takamaru working with a moveset,similar to link,maybe XD

But what,I'm trying to say here is I don't think we'll be seeing any more potential sword characters after the backlash with Lucina,besides maybe Shulk.
You have to realise that people's reactions to a character will have no effect on whether or not they'll be in the game. This roster was planned a couple of years ago, so Sakurai and his team would have already developed the characters by now. He wouldn't just remove a fully developed character because a few people didn't like a completely different character. That makes no sense.

Also with regards to Takamaru if even he was just "another sword user" his fundamental style of fighting is different due to the fact that he wields a samurai sword.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I'm grateful to Sakurai promoting Takamaru to an AT now than what he was to SSBBrawl in 2008. . . a Subspace Sticker that barely anyone noticed.

Huge plus in my book, Sakurai wanted to add in as many AT's as he possibly can. Still a win for Takamaru~

Top Bottom