• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
The good thing about all your most wanted characters getting cucked is that it makes it impossible to be disappointed by DLC.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
That's fair. I guess we'll just have to see how it works out in the end. I still believe that DLC was planned in advance though, seeing as we've known about the Square Enix rep for months now, and Minecraft content (which will likely be DLC) has been known since before Simon.
Honestly with the wording I truly believe that DLC were on the project plan or probably fighters to get if the initial plan failed, but they themselves had no idea if they will make it since it could all go to **** if "EVERYONE IS HERE" Didn't happens.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Mewtwo's trophy being a "point" for Geno...kinda makes sense now actually.

The Mewtwo trophy was nonchalantly thrown in before we realized he was in development during the 50 Fact Extravangaza.

It's not gonna be the same for Geno but it does bring contention to that point.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
After all these deconfirmations (and assuming neither spirits nor assist trophies can be made playable), I'm still rooting for Porky, Andy, Elma, Bandana Dee, Sora, and Banjo & Kazooie. All in all, there are still quite a few popular picks left to be seen.
I'm holding out hope for Andy based on the Infantry & Tanks AT not showing up. I believe they could be incorporated in to his moveset and I also don't believe the franchise would lose it's AT representation.

Of course in a case like this, it'd be the moveset selling the character rather than brand recognition (like a a big name character would be).

Last edited:

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
Lloyd realistic? Is it because he's Namco too?
Lloyd has a GREAT chance because:
  • Lloyd is a requested character.
  • He also appeared as a Mii Costume in which many characters, confirmed or not, once appeared in Mii Costume in Smash 4.
  • Sakurai felt that Lloyd is an obvious pick for a Tales of Rep and that's a reason for his inclusion as a Mii Costume.
  • Namco lack any new 3rd party rep while most other companies has more than 1.
  • Tales of series is a popular series unlike many other requested characters.
  • Namco works on Ultimate, so its easy for Sakurai to implement Lloyd.

Last edited:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Lifelight is better than Brawl's theme

I don't know yet if that's an unpopular opinion or not because this place loves Brawl's theme
It's definitely a great theme, no doubt.

Better then Brawl's........that's REALLY hard. I still think Brawl's is still better by an ever so slight margin.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Also do we have any idea of who's singing Lifelight?

I thought it was Rena Strober but she says its not her.

Chrono.

Oh hey, I think folks may have missed this.
Early Purchase Bonus: Piranha Plant takes root! The iconic enemy from the Super Marioseries is coming to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate for early purchasers. Players can purchase the digital version of the game or register their physical game card on a Nintendo Switch device by Jan. 31, 2019, to gain access to this new fighter when it is available around February 2019 at no additional cost. Piranha Plant, together with a new stage and music tracks, will be available for purchase as DLC in the future.
Piranha Plant does come with a stage and music, despite not being part of the pass.

If you plan on skipping out on him, that's something to keep in mind.

Source: https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/d...ltimate-nintendo-direct-unleashes-new-details

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm sorry if you've said it already, but Zinith Zinith how do you feel about Yoshi's new Final Smash on a scale of 1-10 ;)

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
Honestly with the wording I truly believe that DLC were on the project plan or probably fighters to get if the initial plan failed, but they themselves had no idea if they will make it since it could all go to **** if "EVERYONE IS HERE" Didn't happens.
they probably did pre planning on everyone they wanted and for 3rd party at least started to work on them or cut them as they did or didnt get rights to use them, i in know way believe that no work as gone into the dlc characters as of yet, otherwise we would get a new character until decmeber next year as according to sakurai characters take a year to make

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
It had better be marrying the nearest opponent.
Make that MU 50:50, buy prenup now!

Direct was like...a 6/10.

Incineroar is cool, but not last direct hype worthy. I was kind of flat the whole direct until I saw Pirahna plant who made me laugh my ass off. He looks fun, I plan on using him.

World of light and that vocal cover saved the direct...but barely.

6/10. Incineroar and K Rool should have swapped places for reveal times imo.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
I'm not at all implying plans can't change. But planning so far ahead is becoming the norm in today's industry. The $60 price tag isn't what it used to be, and many publishers want to know what the plan is to generate revenue after release before they give it the green light.

Consider Bungie's "10 year plan" regarding Destiny, in which they allegedly laid out a plan for Activision involving two smaller DLCs (Crota/Wolves) out of the gate, then a major expansion (Taken King/Iron) each year after before working on a sequel. Or, to keep it closer to Smash's genre, how the guy who correctly leaked all of Dragonball FighterZ's first season pass before they announced a single character also knew about their second season pass. Assuming he turns out to be right, since he was perfect on the first season, that means that at minimum they decided on their second season immediately after the game went gold and before even releasing a single DLC character yet. That's assuming the leaker heard about it the moment the plan was formed.
I'm past the point of claiming that DLC couldn't be planned that far in advance; my argument now is that it makes no sense to lock in 1st party characters several years out-- unless they are (a) timeless/classic or (b) were planned to be at the forefront of marketing that far in advance. Which just further suggests that the DLC will be dominated by 3rd parties; after all, they're what brings the most hype these days.

Dragon Ball and MVC-- those are largely working with timeless characters who are always going to be reasonably popular. And Bungie with Destiny was more of a broad outline for the overall series than "these will be the exact contents of every single expansion this far out".

Last edited:

UnSmash

Smash Rookie
I don't know if people saw this yet, but K. Rool is listed as a spirit on the website. Is this evidence that playable characters can also be spirits? https://imgur.com/a/PMlnHRd
It might not mean anything, but what do you guys think?

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
World of Light is beautiful and infinitely better than Subspace Emissary. Unfortunately, if the entire incentive to play it is spirits, than honestly that's a pretty big blow to how much I care for it, because outside of the mode itself I wouldn't use any Spirits. Although a part of me that likes to collect things and grow them, my RPG fanatic side, is slightly curious.

But if unlocking characters is tied to it, at least one of the methods you can get the rest of the cast, by saving their spirit for example, then I've no reservations about diving right into it.

D

Deleted member

It never amazes me how petty people can be with Smash rosters. If you won't get the game because of one character, so be it. Just know you'll be missing out.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
There's being disappointed that Piranha Plant got in instead of someone else, but then there's acting like PP shot your dog and slept with your wife.

It always amazes me how petty some people can be.
Not funny, a venus flytrap did indeed once shoot my dog and sleep with my wife. It ruined my life, don't make light of it.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Isn't that cool?
Look at this image...
And think that, each of these "Green guys" is a new Characters waiting to enter Smash.

smashbrosdlc.jpg

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
So I'm seeing some comments from people that seem unappreciative of this game or the content or it. It's being extremely undersold, and while I'm not going to tell you to simply accept everything and move on, I must say that I find it ridiculous how some people are reacting to this.

If you are complaining about the fact that you didn't get the character(s) you wanted or the stage(s) you wanted, consider the following:

The alternative would have been:
Half the roster gets cut
Half the amount of stages
Trophies, which as Sakurai even said are "a lot of work" for stuff that is just collectibles would replace something that maybe you wanted like...a story mode!

In terms of the characters:
Snake was highly requested
Ridley was highly requested
K.Rool was highly requested
Isabelle was a popular pick
Extra characters were picked and made into Echo fighters to increase the newcomer total
Incineroar is an incredibly unique fighter, even if he does punches and kicks...who doesn't do that in a fighting game?

Again, I'm not trying to say you're less than your average Smash fan, but it's depressing that people are saying they are "canceling their preorder", "want to die" or think the game "is lame". Just because it's not exactly what you wanted doesn't mean it's a bad game.

Are you kidding me? Again, the alternative would have been a vastly inferior game. I'm sorry, but I simply cannot wrap my mind around this. If you were hyped for this game until today, not just disappointed about something but seriously thinking this game is lame, then sorry but in my humble opinion you aren't much of a Smash fan.

We will, after DLC, have roughly 80 characters. We will have probably 108 stages. We have almost 1000 pieces of music from our favorite games. There are almost 59 characters appearing as assists. We have an actual story mode. We have alternate costumes. Every Smash character in series history is in the game. Highly requested picks, picks that have been desired for a long ass time like Ridley, K.Rool, and Snake are in this game. It's going to be balanced, and has been set to be competitively viable...with over 80 characters. That's unheard of.

If you didn't know this already, sometimes you simply aren't going to get what you want in some things. Maybe you'll interview for a job and not get it. Maybe you'll be really looking forward to a meal, and the restaurant won't have the stuff to make it. Maybe your most wanted DLC character will be a Mii Fighter costume instead.

There are going to be 80ish characters. If you can't find ONE (1) that you enjoy, then maybe you're not as much of a Smash fan, but a fan of a character. If that love of the character overshadows your enjoyment of a Smash game, then maybe Smash isn't the game for you. It's not just a Smashboards issue, but a Reddit, Smash fanbase issue.

This isn't meant to be a shame post. I'm just honestly facepalming at the amount of "wow this game sucks" when this is the exact opposite of what the game could have been if the Director, Masahiro Sakurai, didn't care about pleasing his fans.

Maybe you weren't pleased, but this was made to please as many people as possible. It's also meant to be the greatest crossover in gaming history. If the content in the game doesn't appeal to you then...ok? 80ish characters, 103 stages, and almost 1000 music tracks don't do it for you?

Sucks to be you, my dudes. I really don't know what else to say. You're more than welcome to be upset a character you wanted didn't get in or got disconfirmed. That's fine. But don't start acting like this game sucks without them. That's a crazy overreaction.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I noticed some Paper Mario characters as Spirits and player icon... thingys... But I didn't see Paper Mario himself anywhere.

There's still some hope in me for DLC.

Chrono.

Lifelight is better than Brawl's theme

I don't know yet if that's an unpopular opinion or not because this place loves Brawl's theme
I like Brawl's theme the least but that's just me not being a huge fan of the genre.

Meanwhile I like Ultimate's theme a fair amount but the Menu version and Battlefield version just bring it to another level.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
After giving it some thought, I wouldn't be surprised if the DLC characters are characters that are longtime requests or were relevant around the time DLC was planned. With that in mind, I predict that the DLC characters could potentially consist of:

1. Geno
  2. Banjo
  3. Heihachi/Lloyd
  4. Elma
  5. ??????*
*Maybe Sora and/or Steve?

D

Deleted member

Oh hey, I think folks may have missed this.

Piranha Plant does come with a stage and music, despite not being part of the pass.

If you plan on skipping out on him, that's something to keep in mind.

Source: https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/d...ltimate-nintendo-direct-unleashes-new-details
I am guessing more Mario songs and remixes.

Also I am excited for a stage. Is it going to be filled with Piranha plants? Anything would be fantastic. I know Ultimate will not disappoint me.

Iridium

Smash Hero

:ultkrool:'s recovery seems to have a hitbox on contact with opponents. Not the most useful hitbox, but it's there.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Look it’s just very mixed signals is all. Someone somewhere said they thought she looked painfully skinny in that outfit in 4. I dread to think what this version will look like in it. :p
I’m sure someone somewhere did say that
And whoever they are, they’re a sexist piece of ****.

You dread to see what a woman with like a C cup would look like in a sports bra? Are you ****ing kidding me?

Imagine being so far gone that you have to add a :p to the end of all your posts in a desperate attempt to sound like less of a sociopath.

NineS

Smash Lord
Can we just take a moment to appreciate Sonic?

He could have totally gotten out of there alive.
He could have escaped.

Sonic wasn't too slow. He was slowing himself down to try and save Pikachu. The hedgehog was reaching out for him, but Pikachu was too slow.

Sonic sacrificed himself for Pikachu. You cannot tell me this isn't honorable.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
I am guessing more Mario songs and remixes.

Also I am excited for a stage. Is it going to be filled with Piranha plants? Anything would be fantastic. I know Ultimate will not disappoint me.
Frankly, Piranha Plant's stage is probably just going to be the Super Mario Bros stage from Smash 64. Iirc it has three Piranha Plants in it, and it'd make a lot of sense already. I think it was even in the background for a shot during his trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom