• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I really hope they bring back Smash Tour, but make it a requirement to unlock some of the characters. Like "win a 60-minute game of Smash Tour as Fox to unlock Wolf" or something.
Do you want me to be miserable boi

D

Deleted member

Are people really disappointed with our new Story mode? The overworld looks absolutely phenomenal, I adore the cel-shaded design. It seems to branch out farther than the maps looks too, because you have stuff like the Pac-Maze and outer-space. I think it's just fantastic and it won't disappoint, if you ask me. Call it a glorified Spirits with "plot" all you want, I think Spirits alone is a great concept that evolves on Brawl's stickers. You have to actually earn them and I love it.

Maybe people are disappointed that it isn't quite like Melee's Adventure mode levels or SSE's exploration, but we've yet to see it in its entirety. If Rathalos has its own level dedicated to it, I'm sure we're going to get a fair share of exploration-type levels.

View attachment 174867
Huge agree. I am really looking forward to all of this.

I am hopeful Spirits will make up the removal for trophies and The World of Light will be fantastic.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Regarding Geno, i will start saying that i don't care about geno. at all. I even played mario rpg back in the day and he wasn't even in my party.
and for everyone else outside smash, geno is a literal who?
this may sound harsh. but is important to illustrate my next point.
you guys managed to make a literal who secondary character that isnt even needed to beat an old game that wasn't even released worldwide a serious contender for smash bros.
And I found that extrmeley impressive.
I really hope that your efforts give some kind of fruit. Maybe a second character ballot in teh future? maybe geno staring appearing in games like mario party or mario kart, so he can stop being a literal who and get more exposure, maybe he could even appear on a big mario game, who knows?
but don't let this feel like an utter defeat, peace!

D

Deleted member

Are people really disappointed with our new Story mode? The overworld looks absolutely phenomenal, I adore the cel-shaded design. It seems to branch out farther than the maps looks too, because you have stuff like the Pac-Maze and outer-space. I think it's just fantastic and it won't disappoint, if you ask me. Call it a glorified Spirits with "plot" all you want, I think Spirits alone is a great concept that evolves on Brawl's stickers. You have to actually earn them and I love it.

Maybe people are disappointed that it isn't quite like Melee's Adventure mode levels or SSE's exploration, but we've yet to see it in its entirety. If Rathalos has its own level dedicated to it, I'm sure we're going to get a fair share of exploration-type levels.

View attachment 174867
I agree, and I think people like me who jumped the gun will see when it comes out that it's a lot more than it seems. If you stop and really pay attention to that trailer, it looks massive. I think Sakurai is gonna surprise all of us with World of Light.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
What Spirits matches do you guys want to see?

I know Reporter and Wrestler are already confirmed, but we know nothing about their match yet...
I would hope that the opponents would be a team consisting of Incineroar and Daisy
The objective of the match would be to defeat incineroar while Daisy tries to attack you
the trick is Incineroar attacks in rhythm, meaning that you'll have to find an opening whilst also avoiding daisy's attacks...

Last edited:

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Fair, but still...we have
*Returning fighters from brawl-melee (and obviously smash 4) and SOME new
*A ton of old assists with SOME new
*Pretty much only old stages with no new non dlc stages
* No trophies
* A mediocre looking spirits mode
Doesn't that sound kinda...lame?
Want to chime in on the bolded part

That was actually the biggest, biggest selling point for me. More so than the Ridleys and the K. Rools and the Belmonts, but the "EVERYONE IS HERE" mantra

People didn't sleep on Marvel vs, Capcom 2 for following similar roster shenanigans. This is the MvC2 of Smash.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
A plant that took time and resources away from any other character, out of hundreds of choices that actually had some importance to the games they starred in and weren't just basic NPC mooks, yeah.
I can't believe a single character is going to make you ditch the whole game

Like... are you telling me your whole stance would've been different if PP wasn't shown at all?

But you do you, pal

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
Well...
that's subjective, and you never know when someone's really into that sort of stuff.

But I do empathize with you in that I feel like a lot of the content in Ultimate doesn't appeal to me.
That's why I hope we get more dlc besides the fighter packs...or at least free content updates like Odyssey.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm also kinda glad Zelda's voice actor got changed. British Zelda just wasn't it on the chief's behalf.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
*DLC IS ANNOUNCED* "I wonder if I'll ever get to take a break. By the way, here is one bonus you'll get when you purchase the fighters pass. It's a Mii Costume of Rex from Xenoblade Chronicles 2. We decided on which fighters to include when we started planning, so we couldn't add characters from titles such as Xenoblade 2, which was announced after planning had started."

There's the context right there. You still haven't answered my question as to why Rex and Pyra would be Mii Costume'd when they were the most popular recent (read: relevant) Nintendo character. Rex and Pyra would make a bunch of money and would be an amazing promotional opportunity, so then why are they Mii costumes?
this is gonna be the new ridley is playable after sakurai showed his shadow during a segment called boss characters.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Can I just say that Lifelight is freaking awesome? Definitely my favorite Smash theme... I didn't think the Smash 4 theme would be topped, but those lyrics are beautiful.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
It's not "Ultimate" worldwide though. In Japan it's just Smash Bros. Special. "Ultimate" was never a design philosophy as well.

And Smash has shifted to a character game for the last two entries, so it's to be expected kind of.

It's okay to be disappointed. I'm sad there aren't as many modes and some of the best (Home Run Contest, Smash Run, Smash Tour, and Stage Builder) have been cut entirely, but to expect it to be truly ultimate is kind of holding it to an unfair standard in my opinion.

Projecting context? What the **** does that mean?

*DLC IS ANNOUNCED* "I wonder if I'll ever get to take a break. By the way, here is one bonus you'll get when you purchase the fighters pass. It's a Mii Costume of Rex from Xenoblade Chronicles 2. We decided on which fighters to include when we started planning, so we couldn't add characters from titles such as Xenoblade 2, which was announced after planning had started."

There's the context right there. You still haven't answered my question as to why Rex and Pyra would be Mii Costume'd when they were the most popular recent (read: relevant) Nintendo character. Rex and Pyra would make a bunch of money and would be an amazing promotional opportunity, so then why are they Mii costumes?
Started planning... for what exactly? It's clear that Rex missed the project plan date. Have it read as "started planning for the base game" and it makes perfect sense.

And the fact Sora's heavily rumored has me thinking the DLC will be mostly 3rd party characters anyways with maybe more recent marketing-based characters thrown in; Rex isn't sticking around for too long at the forefront and Nintendo doesn't desire to promote Xenoblade 2 anymore with more games on the way and lucrative 3rd parties to draw more people in.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Look how people hate me:

http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/437385153

Someone posted a Agumon picture there
"**** off, Graizen. "

Thank you. It was not me.

Im NOT the only person alive that wants Agumon in Smash.
If it's worth anything, back when I was doing the "leak" count and archive I was called autistic.

Fun Fact: I am not autistic.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
A plant that took time and resources away from any other character, out of hundreds of choices that actually had some importance to the games they starred in and weren't just basic NPC mooks, yeah.
Okay but:

1. PP is DLC
2. PP is a Joke Character
2B. Being developed is the joke and is no malicious intent on any other character's worth, you're just misunderstanding it.

I can't convince you to change your mind, but it's definitely with its flaws.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Nature abhors a vacuum. With King K. Rool and Ridley gone, Geno and apparently Microsoft-owned characters will fill the gaps of "characters people will never stop championing for Smash".

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130

View attachment 174867
It's kind of weird. I love every aspect of World of Light: the maps, the bosses (of what we seen), the spirit fights, and ESPECIALLY the cutscene(s).

However, I don't really like Spirits mode too much outside of World of Light.

D

Deleted member

I can't believe a single character is going to make you ditch the whole game

Like... are you telling me your whole stance would've been different if PP wasn't shown at all?

But you do you, pal
Oddly enough, that's not the most ridiculous thing I've heard from the Smash fanbase.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I give this direct a 7.8/10, too much padding.

No really though, it had some exciting stuff but went on for way too long. I'm kind of warming up to the idea of spirits themselves, but I'd rather they talked a little bit more about more exciting things such as the new adventure mode. The ending with Piranha Plant and the World of Light trailer was hype, but it felt like it took to long to get there.

Although the start was actually pretty nice if you're able to ignore that it confirmed the box theory / deconfirmed the Grinch leak. Incineroar's moveset looks even more fun then I thought it'd be in my head, and I'm someone who always defended the idea of his inclusion. And people said he'd be too much like Bowser and Charizard! Ha. Had he not been leaked beforehand, I probably would have been blown away by his inclusion, but I'm still impressed.

D

Deleted member

But we already have 5 seasons confirmed.
*Future*

Hey, the 105th season has been announced! I wonder if we will get Spongebob from Spongebob Squarepants, as Vergeson leaked a Spongebob stage.

Last edited by a moderator:

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Well, time for some direct thoughts, I guess...

That direct..... it was..... i guess kinda.... okay, I cant be positive. That direct was pure trash. Absolute horse****. I waited months for THIS? I want the 40 minutes of my life I spent watching that back.

Ken, while he was basically a lock, and thus wasn't surprising, was still about the only bright spot for me; after all, I like playing Ryu, and I like Ken, and it's nice to see Ryu share this adventure with his training buddy/friendly rival. Better yet, he really feels like Ken; you can tell Sakurai knows his Street Fighter.

Everything else was ****. Incineroar was one of the last people I ever would have wanted in Smash (but not to the point where I'd skip out on the game for him, and for what it's worth, Sakurai definitely nailed his wrestler 'tude), Spirits mode sucks and just appears to be Smash Tour 2.0 (I WAS JOKING WHEN I SAID "Watch this be Smash Tour 2.0", you know), and the Assist Trophy section..... good ****ing god. After ALL that waiting, Shadow and Isaac were still just ****ing assists. That's not the part that really bummed me out, it's the fact that they, along with many other fan favorites that got snubbed, were held off for this ****ing long, giving their fans so much ****ing hope, only to have it ripped apart from their ****ing hands right at the ****ing endgame AND destroying their chances of being DLC. There's literally no ****ing reason they couldn't have been shown off in the earlier directs; that would have been infinitely less crushing, but noo, they had to do the **** move. THAT'S how you build hype, get ****** hopeful for their most wanted, then waiting til the end to go "lol, they ain't playable and they won't be DLC, yeet yeet." I feel especially bad for Skull Kid supporters; they didn't even get the dignity of having their character get deconfirmed as part of the Assist Trophy presentation; Skull Kid's deconfirmation was just casually dumped to the website as if it didn't ****ing matter. Magor douche move.

All that on it's own wouldn't have made me hate this game, and I'd still have probably played it and loved it. But then I moved on to the worst part of the Direct; the DLC section. I was still pretty bummed that none of my top 5 were in, and I was holding out some hope..... and then I saw Piranha Plant. Then I saw his splash screen. I didn't pay much attention to the rest of his reveal. I was mostly just standing there, slack-jawed, trying to comprehend what the hell just happened. When I finally got my thoughts back, I just thought, "Really. REALLY. REALLY. Are you ****ing kidding me? ARE YOU ****ING SERIOUS RIGHT NOW?" THIS is our first DLC character? A basic mook from a Mario game, not even an actually important one like Goomba or Koopa, just one random Mario enemies out of dozens? REALLY! REALLY?! Is this some joke? Because it's not funny in the slightest. Instead of literally anybody else, they devoted resources to a character that literally nobody voted for. What a joke. What a ****ing joke. Say what you will about any of the fan favs that got shafted, but at least, y'know, they're not dime a dozen mooks and are actually important to the games they're in. This is the only character in Smash history that I felt was legitimately a waste of a slot, as I can't come up with a single justification for his inclusion.

My absoulte most wanted ever, Waluigi, was deemed unworthy thrice, but a ****ing Piranha Plant, just one of many, many basic enemies, is apparently perfectly worthy for Smash. So in other words, a Piranha Plant is a more worthy inclusion for Smash than Waluigi or literally any of the fan favorites that got snubbed. A Piranha Plant was apparently better than any of my most wanted, and was more deserving of valuable resources and dev time in a time when slots are so limited. That just hurts on a personal level. *sniff*

All in all, this direct felt like the ultimate middle finger to me. Is that petty? I know that's petty, but that's just how it felt. I learned, apparently NONE of my favorite characters actually matter. So anyways, I am legitimately gonna cancel my preorder. I get Ultimate will still probably be a great game, but it just won't be one for me. I wish I could still enjoy it, but I won't be able to take my mind off the fact that a ****ING PIRANHA PLANT can be playable but Waluigi can't.

EDIT: Unless they forgot to reveal them, it seems Home Run Contest, Events, All Star Modes, and a few other modes won't be coming back, which also sucks.
It's okay to be upset, I can understand why many people are. I took a beating today but I'm still gonna enjoy the game.
Who wants to bet that there'll be more DLC after the first five?
It's not an impossibility, depends on how much revenue the first season generates and if Sakurai & co. are down with it.
I'm ok, more so just BUSY responding to a lot of people in private messages and stuff PLUS I always buy cheap halloween stuff on Nov 1st so I was out most of the afternoon. Obviously I'm not super excited we got box theory and SOMEHOW the grinch leak was faked. I have NO idea what happened with the grinch leak it had so much going for it and legit felt unfakable (someone could get in a lot of trouble messing with legit companies and people though). Also some things that just happened to line up like the grinch promotional material being at the nintendo comic con UK booth and the sprout item looking like it might be from golden sun etc... that stuff isnt even controllable and just happened to fall into place cause of dumb luck. its so crazy it was fake. how does someone fake all that!?

TBH im pretty disappointed with the final direct, the game however is fine im very happy with it. i was accepting box theory a month ago and was very happy with the game like that but to get such an unbelievably masterminded leak RIGHT before this... ended up making the final direct very disappointing. its crazy it wasnt real. I cant even figure out how it could be faked im so shocked.

piranha plant is like...i actually think its cool but with SO many highly wanted characters it hurts its the final reveal here, should have been shown earlier imo.

I still have hope for Geno, he's just been seen as some token thing and it seems we've seen playable characters having that same icon so I still think he has a good shot as one of the DLC characters BUT admittedly I think his chances dropped a little after this.

i STILL believe my source and they always said their source was only sure of banjo. before the grinch leak my source was thinking box theory and then banjo would be dlc (which ive said was what they initially thought before) so thats where we are now with it all. their source had only HEARD the banner characters and also incineroar and was confused by the lack of incineroar but we figured the banner was what we'd get after the grinch leak.

Now we are back to thinking its banjo as dlc, but who knows what else. possibly a SE rep or a Minecraft character as vergeben has been spot on this entire time and we still havent seen "minecraft content" (though maybe its just a mii costume dlc, who knows).
I am more interested to see how Grinch leak came to be, but also curious how your source heard about those banner characters. Don't know if it was misinformation perhaps. I have a slight, slight curiosity that some of those characters are the planned DLC reps (probably Banjo, Mach Rider and the Chorus Kids, maybe even Geno). The leak may have been fake but I still think there's more pieces to the puzzle. Sorry to hear you were disappointed when all the stars seemed to have aligned today, I know seeing Shadow deconfirmed was hard pill for me to swallow.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
Started planning... for what exactly? It's clear that Rex missed the project plan date. Have it read as "started planning for the base game" and it makes perfect sense.

And the fact Sora's heavily rumored has me thinking the DLC will be mostly 3rd party characters anyways with maybe more recent marketing-based characters thrown in; Rex isn't sticking around for too long at the forefront and Nintendo doesn't desire to promote Xenoblade 2 anymore with more games on the way and lucrative 3rd parties to draw more people in.
they were literally talking about when they were planning characters during the dlc section of the direct, he clearly alluded to or imo out right started rex was announced too late for both the base game and dlc

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Funny how people get upset becouse their characters is a AT or a Spirit.

My Dream characters don't even have nothing in the game, and im here trying to help him.
You know what man after everything, no I'm allowed to be a bit sad Geno's a spirit and not playable.

Good on you for loving Agumon but don't put other people down because they're understandably sad.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Doom guy not announced?!?? No buy, game is trash. I hate Nintendo and Sakurai. Absolutely bad. Not buying this trash game cause it don’t have me character I want.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Even then, why would they prioritize characters with a questionable future? And if work doesn't start on them until development on the base game winds down, then why would they have to be locked in if they're first party?

It makes some sense for 3rd party characters, due to having to hammer out licensing agreements, but I'd think 1st party characters would be somewhat interchangeable at that point; if they were all decided years in advance, it'd have to be someone timeless or a character who they knew for a fact would be getting a marketing push that far in advance.
I'm not at all implying plans can't change. But planning so far ahead is becoming the norm in today's industry. The $60 price tag isn't what it used to be, and many publishers want to know what the plan is to generate revenue after release before they give it the green light.

Consider Bungie's "10 year plan" regarding Destiny, in which they allegedly laid out a plan for Activision involving two smaller DLCs (Crota/Wolves) out of the gate, then a major expansion (Taken King/Iron) each year after before working on a sequel. Or, to keep it closer to Smash's genre, how the guy who correctly leaked all of Dragonball FighterZ's first season pass before they announced a single character also knew about their second season pass. Assuming he turns out to be right, since he was perfect on the first season, that means that at minimum they decided on their second season immediately after the game went gold and before even releasing a single DLC character yet. That's assuming the leaker heard about it the moment the plan was formed.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Am I the only one that loves this direct?

I give it a 9.5 / 10. Might even be better than the August Direct. Well, maybe.
World of Light definitely gives it points but August Direct had:

Simon
Chrom
King K Rool
Dark Samus
Richter
Dracula's Castle
Final Smash Meter
Stage Transitions
103 Stages confirmation
Classic Classic Mode coming back
A legit Training mode

August Direct beats this one. Not that this one was bad, just not as good.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

That's fair. I guess we'll just have to see how it works out in the end. I still believe that DLC was planned in advance though, seeing as we've known about the Square Enix rep for months now, and Minecraft content (which will likely be DLC) has been known since before Simon.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
World of Light is hype.

I also love how Kirby is the hero, though tbh I would've liked it whether it was Kirby, Ness, or some other characters. edit: no, scratch that, the pink puffball is perfect.

Hoshi no Kaabii 2: Kirby our Savior

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Can I just say that Lifelight is freaking awesome? Definitely my favorite Smash theme... I didn't think the Smash 4 theme would be topped, but those lyrics are beautiful.

Lifelight is better than Brawl's theme

I don't know yet if that's an unpopular opinion or not because this place loves Brawl's theme

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
That's fair. I guess we'll just have to see how it works out in the end. I still believe that DLC was planned in advance though, seeing as we've known about the Square Enix rep for months now, and Minecraft content (which will likely be DLC) has been known since before Simon.
i would say that even if the se rep part ends up being false they still and who was dlc planned out when they planned out the base roster

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
There's being disappointed that Piranha Plant got in instead of someone else, but then there's acting like PP shot your dog and slept with your wife.

It always amazes me how petty some people can be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom