• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Majora's Visage

Smash Journeyman
It's not "Ultimate" worldwide though. In Japan it's just Smash Bros. Special. "Ultimate" was never a design philosophy as well.

And Smash has shifted to a character game for the last two entries, so it's to be expected kind of.

It's okay to be disappointed. I'm sad there aren't as many modes and some of the best (Home Run Contest, Smash Run, Smash Tour, and Stage Builder) have been cut entirely, but to expect it to be truly ultimate is kind of holding it to an unfair standard in my opinion.

Projecting context? What the **** does that mean?

*DLC IS ANNOUNCED* "I wonder if I'll ever get to take a break. By the way, here is one bonus you'll get when you purchase the fighters pass. It's a Mii Costume of Rex from Xenoblade Chronicles 2. We decided on which fighters to include when we started planning, so we couldn't add characters from titles such as Xenoblade 2, which was announced after planning had started."

There's the context right there. You still haven't answered my question as to why Rex and Pyra would be Mii Costume'd when they were the most popular recent (read: relevant) Nintendo character. Rex and Pyra would make a bunch of money and would be an amazing promotional opportunity, so then why are they Mii costumes?
Because DLC will be 3rd party reps

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
My personally two guesses on the SE rep is the first Dragon Quest Hero with the next 7 heroes as costumes and Lara Croft.

Sora's out because he's by copyright law, a Disney rep, not a SE rep and didn't that Disney Japan interview say they weren't contacted by Nintendo after the DLC plans were most likely made? Geno's out because I think SE wants to go much bigger than with a character who appeared in only one game and not even the main protagonist and made only small cameos after that.

The 1st most possible rep is the first VIII heroes from DQ. Seeing as DQ is pretty much the #1 game franchise in Japan besides Mario. A release of a game there is akin to a national holiday. So I wouldn't be surprised if they made it. Other possible DQ reps are Slime and Dragonlord.

The other is Lara Croft. Western Iconic character now owned by a Japanese company and has been pushed by SE even before the roster plans like being Brave Exvius and Pixiv art contests.

It'll be one of those two characters.

D

Deleted member

I'm having flashback to Fire Emblem Warriors fallout with these reactions.

D

Deleted member

9/10. Not a perfect score as I would've preferred something a little more faithful to the source material like Eggdozer...
Glad you like it! No Crafted World stage surprises me tho especially knowing he has a new alt...

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Can I just say that Lifelight is freaking awesome? Definitely my favorite Smash theme... I didn't think the Smash 4 theme would be topped, but those lyrics are beautiful.

It’s the only Smash song I need

D

Deleted member

:ultkrool:'s recovery seems to have a hitbox on contact with opponents. Not the most useful hitbox, but it's there.
That plank down smash(?) at 0:25 is so funny. The more I see of the croc's animations, the more I like him.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I'm past the point of claiming that DLC couldn't be planned that far in advance; my argument now is that it makes no sense to lock in 1st party characters several years out-- unless they are (a) timeless/classic or (b) were planned to be at the forefront of marketing that far in advance. Which just further suggests that the DLC will be dominated by 3rd parties; after all, they're what brings the most hype these days.

Dragon Ball and MVC-- those are largely working with timeless characters who are always going to be reasonably popular. And Bungie with Destiny was more of a broad outline for the overall series than "these will be the exact contents of every single expansion this far out".
And that's a fair point. It could also be a Corrin or Greninja situation, where Nintendo offers early looks at upcoming games so that they can use Smash as, essentially, an advertisement.

There's the electric Pokemon they're marketing the hell out of right now for some reason. There's any Three Houses protagonist. And who knows what other first party games Nintendo will announce at the next E3, coinciding with a Smash character in late 2019. They've changed their strategy since the Switch released to mostly waiting until E3 to show their big hit for that winter.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Am I the only one that loves this direct?

I give it a 9.5 / 10. Might even be better than the August Direct. Well, maybe.
I liked this direct a lot to be honest. I started to believe Vergeben right after his September Direct/Final Fantasy 15 Pocket leaks, and I went into this November 1st direct "knowing" (gut feeling) to expect 2 characters and mostly talk on modes.

I was not disappointed. While Decidueye was my no. 1 Pokemon Sun/Moon want, Incineroar was probably 2 or 3rd place, so you know, its not like I left empty-handed. Didn't get the one I wanted, happy with what I have to settle for.

Honestly, I wasn't expecting the Treehouse afterwards to actually show and pick the characters they did. Got to finally see Lucario and Wolf in action, Simon in action, confirmation on the Final Smashes of Lucario, Diddy Kong, Daisy (Peach), got to see how Stage Morph could transition a huge stage into a normal sized stage (although Ultimate's Corneria feels suspiciously larger than I remember it was in Melee and Smash 4 3DS).

I was satisfied, still I'd rank this one

1st place: E3 debut trailer EVERYONE IS HERE OMG I GOTS WOLF BACK! HELLO SNAKE! HELLO ICE CLIMBERS! THREE LINKS!
2nd place: Simon Belmont <> King K. Rool trailer; Dark Samus! Oooo!!! Oh...a copy/paste Samus clone...
3rd place: November 1st Final Direct
4th place: Isabelle...Tom Nook always looks sad trailer

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
Can we just take a moment to appreciate Sonic?

He could have totally gotten out of there alive.
He could have escaped.

Sonic wasn't too slow. He was slowing himself down to try and save Pikachu. The hedgehog was reaching out for him, but Pikachu was too slow.

Sonic sacrificed himself for Pikachu. You cannot tell me this isn't honorable.

Honestly he would just have been prolonging the agony by a few seconds at best. If those beams almost caught up to Kirby the God Eater, and shortly after enveloped the galaxy, there's no way Sonic could have held them off for very long. Obviously still honorable, and overall I appreciate the drama of that scene. It's a good scene, and now I'm wondering how a Smash Movie would work out.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

He could have escaped.

Sonic wasn't too slow. He was slowing himself down to try and save Pikachu. The hedgehog was reaching out for him, but Pikachu was too slow.

>Sonic in 2008
*Save everyone and basically kick Tabuu's *****
>Sonic in 2018
*Suck up his 2fast4u pride and slow down to try and save Pikachu*

I promise that in my run of World of Light, I'll make Sonic the MC once I unlock him

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I like Brawl's theme the least but that's just me not being a huge fan of the genre.

Meanwhile I like Ultimate's theme a fair amount but the Menu version and Battlefield version just bring it to another level.
Yeah I didn't like Brawl's theme either so it's an easy pick for me.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Oh hey, remember when people came in this thread and started cursing each other out because Mystic said his entire life was ruined because of the totally real Smash info he was so horribly forced into giving?

Yeah. What a dingus.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

He could have escaped.

Sonic was also the guy who saved everyone's asses in Subspace Emissary. Like, they were all set to get wiped again until Sonic came in and weakened him.

Sonic in Smash Bros > Sonic in his own series

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Heads up to anyone planning to get Ultimate digitally,

it's going to take forever to download. So don't wait until the day or two before to get it because it might not be done downloading.

Mine's been downloading for close to 11 hours now and it's not even halfway done.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

He could have escaped.

Sonic always cares for his friends

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Frankly, Piranha Plant's stage is probably just going to be the Super Mario Bros stage from Smash 64. Iirc it has three Piranha Plants in it, and it'd make a lot of sense already. I think it was even in the background for a shot during his trailer.
If it's a newly-added stage, though, then the N64 stage has already been shown to be in the game.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
And we still don’t ****ing know what Diddy’s Final Smash is now.

D

Deleted member

He could have escaped.

I can smell the stale potato chips of the creators making the Sonic and Pikachu OCs.

Either way, I love this heroic Sonic. Take notes, SEGA.

Last edited by a moderator:

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
And we still don’t ****ing know what Diddy’s Final Smash is now.
Yeah we do. After the Direct, Treehouse aired and showed Diddy's FS. He dons his Jetpacks, and flies literally from one side of the screen to the next at Super Sonic (pun) speed.

Its a lot like Sonic's Ultimate FS. Its on Youtube.

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
I really hope there will be two season pass. I am willing to pay for all the content you can throw at me Sakurai!

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Thought occured to me that World of light being mission structured kind of fuses the best two modes together dont it, Mission Mode and Adventure mode.. hopefully there will be themed matches not based on just spirits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom