• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I don't think anyone in this thread has said any character should be added cuz they are LGBT or whatever. I was working with Ike cuz he's the first one that popped in my head.

Aren't Simon and Richter Christian?
Suddenly Miyamoto barges in "LINK IS CHRISTIAN" before Nintendo officials drag him away "THERE'S A REASON THE MAGIC SHIELD HAD A CROSS IN ZELDA 1!"

SpiralGalaxies

Smash Lord
NNID
SpiralGalaxies
Having representation in video games is really important, even in a game such as smash. allowing people to see and play as characters just like them in a video game is important to making people feel included and recognized in society!

Like, i bought the mass effect series solely because i heard you can have a gay romance in it. (little did i know it would be untill mass effect 3 before i could romance a dude as a dude but we got there eventually. :) ) Some might say that's a shallow reason for buying a game, but for me being able to play a gay character and romance a man was important to me, i didn't have to sit through a straight romance if i didn't want to, i could play the character in way that resonated with me. That's important to making LGBT romances become normalized and not seen as an aberration.

Of course that's just romance. even in games without romance subplots or such having characters be part of the LGBT spectrum is nice because it allows LGBT people to feel like a part of society, and not a misfit. Because if everyone else (AKA straight people) can be on TV, or in video games, why can't they?

I'm not a woman or a person of colour, so I can't speak from my personal experience for this when it pertains to race and gender representation, I don't have that background or experience, I can assume that it is something similar, but please correct me if i'm wrong, more people of varying demographics should discuss this if they feel comfortable enough.

This isn't focusing on smash bros specifically, just on why representation is important. Smash bros has an issue where it's suppose to bring together the greats of the video game world, and as it turns out the video game greats they bring in aren't all that diverse in some cases. The solution (IMO) to this is to prompt Nintendo to add more diverse main characters to their games, so that one day they too might make it in smash, and help bring more diversity to the table. : ), while also pushing for what diversity they do have so far to be showcased.

I know it seems weird to bring discussions of diversity into talk about smash, but video games and diversity ARE intertwined, and it is important to talk about these things. :)

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I kind of like the idea of another Punch-Out!! character. Doesn't get a ton of discussion. I don't think Doc Luis is gonna happen, but that would be cool, a heavier harder hitting Little Mac or something. But for a more unique character, King Hippo would be my choice, since he's probably the most visually distinct of the bunch. He could have move where he eats fruit to heal himself and tosses the left overs for damage. Not to mention that move where he slams both of his arms down.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Hurray something smash related to talk about, although I didn't mind talking about Video Game Crushes.

So far I don't see any kind of demo event in my area. :(
They extremely toned down the amount of demos this year for some reason. Probably cuz they want to lessen the risk of someone stealing a Switch.

Flamingbird

Smash Cadet
Thank you for this valuable piece of information. What other gems of knowledge do you have for us today?
It's my way of giving back to the community. Uhm obviously we're gonna see Tails before we see Shadow as a playable character and that's a fact.

And once we get our Rhythm Heaven rep too we'll get ourselves some Megamix DLC. (pls)

Last edited:

lizard1929

Smash Journeyman
Yikes its only been what 4-5 days and we have gone through 200 pages of fluff talk waiting for a direct.

Enchess

Smash Lord
How is it skewed? It's left ambiguous because it's not that type of game.

So I'm a a Christian pretty common thing to be in Europe. Does that mean I need a Christian character to represnt us who prays before and after a battle? Of course not because that's irrelevant to smash which is a fun party game.

Sakurai doesn't sit there and think hmmm we need someone to represent all people who worship green crocodiles better add in K Rool to make them happy.

Nope characters are chosen because they're iconic and we want to see them in smash if they're male or female cool it doesn't matter nor does their sexuality.

If their an iconic character people like then Nintendo will listen and hopefully put them in the game based ok their merits alone.

I've said all I've had to say on the topic. Peace
Well, we have characters who are attracted to opposite sex (:ultbowser::ultcloud::ultdk::ultmario: to name a few), but none to same sex. It's just easy to forget that because of how often we see straight relationships in media.

Also, we do have semi-explicit Christians in Simon/Richter, so you are represented there. We also have an anti-theist in Shulk, which I like a lot and makes me feel represented.

nintenplayer

Smash Journeyman
I kind of like the idea of another Punch-Out!! character. Doesn't get a ton of discussion. I don't think Doc Luis is gonna happen, but that would be cool, a heavier harder hitting Little Mac or something. But for a more unique character, King Hippo would be my choice, since he's probably the most visually distinct of the bunch. He could have move where he eats fruit to heal himself and tosses the left overs for damage. Not to mention that move where he slams both of his arms down.
I'm sure this has been said multiple times already, but I kinda want Glass Joe to be in as a joke character like Pichu lol

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Having representation in video games is really important, even in a game such as smash. allowing people to see and play as characters just like them in a video game is important to making people feel included and recognized in society!

Like, i bought the mass effect series solely because i heard you can have a gay romance in it. (little did i know it would be untill mass effect 3 before i could romance a dude as a dude but we got there eventually. :) ) Some might say that's a shallow reason for buying a game, but for me being able to play a gay character and romance a man was important to me, i didn't have to sit through a straight romance if i didn't want to, i could play the character in way that resonated with me. That's important to making LGBT romances become normalized and not seen as an aberration.

Of course that's just romance. even in games without romance subplots or such having characters be part of the LGBT spectrum is nice because it allows LGBT people to feel like a part of society, and not a misfit. Because if everyone else (AKA straight people) can be on TV, or in video games, why can't they?

I'm not a woman or a person of colour, so I can't speak from my personal experience for this when it pertains to race and gender representation, I don't have that background or experience, I can assume that it is something similar, but please correct me if i'm wrong, more people of varying demographics should discuss this if they feel comfortable enough.

This isn't focusing on smash bros specifically, just on why representation is important. Smash bros has an issue where it's suppose to bring together the greats of the video game world, and as it turns out the video game greats they bring in aren't all that diverse in some cases. The solution (IMO) to this is to prompt Nintendo to add more diverse main characters to their games, so that one day they too might make it in smash, and help bring more diversity to the table. : ), while also pushing for what diversity they do have so far to be showcased.

I know it seems weird to bring discussions of diversity into talk about smash, but video games and diversity ARE intertwined, and it is important to talk about these things. :)
"But I am feel uncomfortable if not about me?" Literally every argument against it
Also this event calendar isn't on the Dutch site for whatever reason

Chrono.

I'm sure this has been said multiple times already, but I kinda want Glass Joe to be in as a joke character like Pichu lol
He's the one I see come up the most along with King Hippo.

I'd welcome both. Glass Joe is probably the most infamous Punch Out character too (not counting... you know, Mike Tyson.)

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Are people expecting a Direct every month? Don't you guys think we might get a month without any Direct before December? I mean if that happens, wouldn't we have to deal with a drought anyway?

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I just hate talk about shipping because so many people love to insist there's is canon for x, y or z reason. And then people get so riled up and angry arguing about it. Ike's sexuality is never fully clarified, so he doesn't have a canon sexuality. Headcanons are fine and all, ship who you want*, but don't confuse them with canon.

*Well don't ship siblings. Or adults with young children. Or people with someone toxic/abusive. But I'm not seeing any of that in this thread so we're good.

Anyway it's for that reason I love brotps. It's all of the fun of shipping but without everyone tryimg to rip eachother's throats out because "it is/isn't totally canon" and "this character is/isn't totally gay". Romance is fine and all, but not everything has to be about that 100% of the time.

:ultkrool: and :ultridley: are my favorite brotp the fandom has come up with. The idea of two evil archosaur pirates being best buds is the funnest things this fandom has come up with.

So back to Final Smashes, why do people default to Yoshi having a cinematic Super Dragon for one when he has a blatantly more obvious candidate in the form of the Eggdozer?!!!
Because dragons are cool.

Shroob

Sup?
Are people expecting a Direct every month? Don't you guys think we might get a month without any Direct before December? I mean if that happens, wouldn't we have to deal with a drought anyway?
We've dealt with droughts fine.

This was a big YOINK, which no one saw coming.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Really? King of Fighters is popular in Latin America? I didn't know that and I am Hispanic. :p
Pretty sure it had something to do with the fact that the Neo Geo was super cheap and was super easy to pirate the games for it, so once KOF began becoming faster paced than SF2's CPS1 counterparts with KOF 96 (since CPS2 didn't have much outreach in Latin American countries it seems), KOF eventually blew up over there.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Sakurai also did a livestream event for Robin/Lucina and I wouldn't be surprised for that to happen in October if there's another Smash direct in November.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Doc Louis and King Hippo would be my first choices as well, though aside from them I could Glass Joe as a possible joke character (though I'm not terribly fond of the idea) or maybe Mr. Sandman since he's the final rival/end boss character of sorts.

If not another character I'd like to see Bald Bull, Great Tiger, or maybe Soda Popinski as ATs. Glass Joe could probably work here as well.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Really? King of Fighters is popular in Latin America? I didn't know that and I am Hispanic. :p
Yeah. Legends say you aren't allowed to date a Mexican girl unless you beat her father at KOF 98.

And if you pick Rugal in any of the games you are labeled a ***** and have to leave the country.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team

I think, in terms of Smash, how and what characters are chosen are perfectly fine and we should make the most of what we get. Video games that make their own OC should definitely have more LGBT characters and not having them be LGBT their whole focus. Like Tracer for example, the main event of her life was the time travel accident and not finding Emily.

Shroob

Sup?
I just hate talk about shipping because so many people love to insist there's is canon for x, y or z reason. And then people get so riled up and angry arguing about it. Ike's sexuality is never fully clarified, so he doesn't have a canon sexuality. Headcanons are fine and all, ship who you want*, but don't confuse them with canon.

*Well don't ship siblings. Or adults with young children. Or people with someone toxic/abusive. But I'm not seeing any of that in this thread so we're good.

Anyway it's for that reason I love brotps. It's all of the fun of shipping but without everyone tryimg to rip eachother's throats out because "it is/isn't totally canon" and "this character is/isn't totally gay". Romance is fine and all, but not everything has to be about that 100% of the time.

:ultkrool: and :ultridley: are my favorite brotp the fandom has come up with. The idea of two evil archosaur pirates being best buds is the funnest things this fandom has come up with.

Because dragons are cool.
I'm still looking for that one fan art of a very swole Ridley and K.Rool doing the predator handshake from that one K.Rool video,

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Pretty sure it had something to do with the fact that the Neo Geo was super cheap and was super easy to pirate the games for it, so once KOF began becoming faster paced than SF2's CPS1 counterparts with KOF 96 (since CPS2 didn't have much outreach in Latin American countries it seems), KOF eventually blew up over there.
Can confirm. KOF 98 and 2002 are insanely popular here. Along with Metal Slug.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Probably but they were not included in Smash for Christian representation. They were included to represent Castlevania and because many fans wanted Simon Belmont in Smash for 10+ years.

If Birdo was included in Smash, you can rest assured it will not be for LGBT representation and it will be because she got in based on her own merits (mainly SMB2 and many spin-off appearances)... that and because she makes an easy Yoshi Echo.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Don't think it was directly stated as such, though it wouldn't surprise me.

If anything, they just use the Christian Iconography to fight off those filthy vampires and zombies.

Either way, I'm excited to throw holy water on Bayo and Bowser. :ultsimon:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom