• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WallyPalmer

Smash Journeyman
True. I prefer to leave it in the dark and not touch it. Having my own opinion will get my head blown off one of these days, not like it's a bad thing but it's like throwing a bouncy ball in a minefield and hoping you don't trigger something (or someone).

just me tho
I'm sorry the conversation makes you uncomfortable. I do feel like it's a very useful one, but of course whether you choose to participate is up to you. I personally never try and criticize a person's opinion unless it goes against my own morals and standards ( or if they call Bandana Waddle Dee bad 3:< )

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Why Is everyone wanting representation in a game about Green dinosaurs, Robots, Pocket monster, and fire breathing turtles.

Smash should be kept average from the real world and a character should be included on their own merits.

Their gender, sexuality and skin colour should not matter in a game like smash and I have no idea why people are bringing politics into a Nintendo game.

I'm going to take my leave until the topic changes.
I avoid these conversations at all costs because from my experience it doesn't end well for ANY side.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I skipped like 20 pages ahead and everyone on this thread is still talking about Ike's gender. We really need that direct to come out soon lol.
I thought this was about his sexuality, were people saying he was trans or something? :073: like i dont know about you but thats pure macho dude

I'm sorry the conversation makes you uncomfortable. I do feel like it's a very useful one, but of course whether you choose to participate is up to you. I personally never try and criticize a person's opinion unless it goes against my own morals and standards ( or if they call Bandana Waddle Dee bad 3:< )
If I was uncomfortable I wouldn't reply. I'm just saying I'm afraid of speaking my entire opinion about the subject itself because honestly I like my head on my neck and not decapitated. Digitally, anyway

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord
Smash should be kept average from the real world and a character should be included on their own merits.
I think you answered yourself there. The representation in Smash doesn't mirror the real world. It's skewed.

Although, unfortunately Nintendo doesnt have hardly anything to draw from since they dont much care about representation outside of Smash either. Hopefully that'll get better in the future.

Sooo i was thinking about the next direeeeeec-

... stay on topic, stay on topic... *cough* Yeah right! I'm sure this character is probably gay or not gay! nailed it :p

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
All this talk of lgbt representation...personally, I would love to see some Black representation in Smash.
I don't care if people cry about more FE characters, especially Awakening ones.
Basillo would be dope.
BasilioPortrait.png
Or even Flavia for that matter tbh.

Last edited:

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I thought this was about his sexuality, were people saying he was trans or something? :073: like i dont know about you but thats pure macho dude
Oof sorry that's what I meant. I just find it funny we have so little to talk about we've been debating about Ike's sexuality for over 20 pages

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Do you guys think Young Link will be the old version of Link but lighter?
From what we've seen I think that'll likely be the case. He retains the rapid jab and whatnot. So he's basically what he was in Melee. Lighter Link. Except in this case Link is the one who was changed as opposed to the clone receiving further tweaks to differentiate them as is usually the case. Though I suppose at this point the same can be said for Mario and Pikachu who have continued to change whereas Pichu and Doc were brought back mostly intact to how they originally were.

Last edited:

Polan

Smash Lord
Okay real talk, Terry Bogard would be hype as ****. Like his move list is already perfect for smash bros
Also a good bone to throw to latin american players. KOF is big down there and having it repped in Smash would probably attract a lot of attention.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm Black and Hispanic myself. Can't say I care too much if game characters happen to be as well or not. A cool character means more to me than that, though a good design can come from any race. If it happens, cool, if not, then it's not a big deal.

That said I got into fighting games and platformers before anything else and they usually contain a wide variety of characters from all over the world. Tekken, Street Fighter, MK, KOF, Killer Instinct and so on. I guess you could argue other genre's don't have that.

I don't give a crap what his moveset is. I don't want another Mario.
Ok. Well there's others that don't mind it. So I'll just agree to disagree.

Last edited:

nintenplayer

Smash Journeyman
Whether it will be amazing or not is irrelevant it's not what the heart of the series is about.

I don't personally think Gender and Sexuality have a role to play in smash.

And that goes both ways it's not states that One or whatever is straight or not but deliberately ambiguous.

People can think what they want and leave it at that it shouldn't be an issue for a game like smash.

Just my 2 cents
I think he meant Reggie and Sakurai

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Okay real talk, Terry Bogard would be hype as ****. Like his move list is already perfect for smash bros
Also a good bone to throw to latin american players. KOF is big down there and having it repped in Smash would probably attract a lot of attention.
Well Terry is probably the most likely SNK Rep soooo there's that...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I feel Sakurai would love adding Terry as it's been established he likes KOF and played competitively back in the day and even brought it's mechanics to Smash

WallyPalmer

Smash Journeyman
Their gender, sexuality and skin colour should not matter in a game like smash and I have no idea why people are bringing politics into a Nintendo game.
You're absolutely right, politics have no place in a game like smash. However, I don't think it's too much to ask to see a character like myself shown. My desire for a gay character doesn't come from an arbitrary place, and I don't want one to just fill a quota or something, I actually want to see something which is very important to me represented in a game which is very important to me.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
It still ****s me up when I remember the amount of people who want to **** Sidon
People want to **** Mipha. They're fish people for god's sake, it's basically like trying to go with a dolphin with legs.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I feel Sakurai would love adding Terry as it's been established he likes KOF and played competitively back in the day and even brought it's mechanics to Smash
I don't recall if we've gotten full details yet, but isn't Squad Strike essentially KOF mode in a way?

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Hotaru Futaba from Mark of Wolves, cause I love Kung Fu/Chinese Martial Arts play styles

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
...I somehow thought Priam was leaked for Ultimate with all this talk.... (What's up with the thread title? Was there any huge leak or something? Or is it just a general warning lol)

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
that's 2 "dude no stop what are you doing"s tonight
i certainly didn't intend to upset or provoke anyone with mine, so I apologize if it did. I thought the topic was finally starting to get a bit volatile so i wanted to bring the mood down in the only way I know how: jokes at my own expense

I'm not very... forum smart? I'm not very smart in general but I guess I misread the mood, sorry

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Fine you guys get Sidon, Kass whatever then I get Funky Kong.

Dude's alpha as ****.

Last edited:

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Well, I don't think a character should be added to Smash specifically for diversity reasons and legit nothing else. But I think the fact that there really aren't all that many credible options for a black or unambiguously gay newcomer is kind of a problem in and of itself imo.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Really? King of Fighters is popular in Latin America? I didn't know that and I am Hispanic. :p

WaxPython

Smash Ace
I think you answered yourself there. The representation in Smash doesn't mirror the real world. It's skewed.

Although, unfortunately Nintendo doesnt have hardly anything to draw from since they dont much care about representation outside of Smash either. Hopefully that'll get better in the future.
How is it skewed? It's left ambiguous because it's not that type of game.

So I'm a a Christian pretty common thing to be in Europe. Does that mean I need a Christian character to represnt us who prays before and after a battle? Of course not because that's irrelevant to smash which is a fun party game.

Sakurai doesn't sit there and think hmmm we need someone to represent all people who worship green crocodiles better add in K Rool to make them happy.

Nope characters are chosen because they're iconic and we want to see them in smash if they're male or female cool it doesn't matter nor does their sexuality.

If their an iconic character people like then Nintendo will listen and hopefully put them in the game based ok their merits alone.

I've said all I've had to say on the topic. Peace

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
And while SNK is still on topic; the music. If Castlevania got 34 tracks, I can only hope that if an SNK character got in, that we'd get plenty of tracks from KOF, FF, etc.

WallyPalmer

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna take my leave for tonight. Whether or not this conversation continues I hope everyone remembers to be respectful of other people's viewpoints and tries to see it from a different perspective. Also, thanks everyone who indulged my dumb ramblings about Chrom and Robin a few hours ago, and I'm glad we got some amount of genuine discussion out of it.

Here's hoping we hear direct news soon!

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
I don't think anyone in this thread has said any character should be added cuz they are LGBT or whatever. I was working with Ike cuz he's the first one that popped in my head.
How is it skewed? It's left ambiguous because it's not that type of game.

So I'm a a Christian pretty common thing to be in Europe. Does that mean I need a Christian character to represnt us who prays before and after a battle? Of course not because that's irrelevant to smash which is a fun party game.

Sakurai doesn't sit there and think hmmm we need someone to represent all people who worship green crocodiles better add in K Rool to make them happy.

Nope characters are chosen because they're iconic and we want to see them in smash if they're male or female cool it doesn't matter nor does their sexuality.

If their an iconic character people like then Nintendo will listen and hopefully put them in the game based ok their merits alone.

I've said all I've had to say on the topic. Peace
Aren't Simon and Richter Christian?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom