• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Bois, I'm out here just doing the best I can with what Sakurai gave us. I'm working with current characters.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
sure its one thing if priam just claims it and the game agrees its a dubious claim but this in-game bio doesnt seem to have any doubt about it
I don't know man, could be adopted. He is an insatiable meat eater. have mercy its just a joke

I'll try again tomorrow. Maybe this idiocy will tone down by then.
that's 2 "dude no stop what are you doing"s tonight

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
I'm gonna take a stab at this way too early.

What Pokemon maximizes looking cool in shades and being a good drinking buddy while minimizing comfort as a bed? According to my analysis, one Pokemon clearly optimizes this better than others.

Gigalith, I choose you!
Im gonna be pumped I'd I'm right
1. Naw
2. That looks like it will be the only guess

Thank you for your participation. Lol

Last edited:

WallyPalmer

Smash Journeyman
Why? Smash isn't about a real life representation or we would have people like Sakurai and Reggie in the game.

Characters should be included based on their own merits not because they're LBGT and included for that reason alone.

Nintendo really ain't the sort of company to do things like that.
To rephrase, it'd be nice if there were LGBT characters who were valid cantidates for smash, but Nintendo isn't really the sort of company to have a lot of representation in that regard. It'd just be nice to have a character who you can relate to. Sexual identity is fairly important to a person, you feel? I could talk more about this, but it'd go a bit beyond "Smash Ultimate Discussion"

WaxPython

Smash Ace
And you say that like it wouldn't be ****ing amazing to not have them be playable.
Whether it will be amazing or not is irrelevant it's not what the heart of the series is about.

I don't personally think Gender and Sexuality have a role to play in smash.

And that goes both ways it's not states that One or whatever is straight or not but deliberately ambiguous.

People can think what they want and leave it at that it shouldn't be an issue for a game like smash.

Just my 2 cents

Chrono.

I'd go on about the Priam stuff, but it basically seems like a good chunk of you guys throughly explained it.

Anyway, here's a question I don't see thrown around quite a bit:
Think about your most wanted character, how would you feel if they got in and didn't feel suited to your play-style? Would you still try to adapt and main them, or would you just appreciate their spot on the roster and move on?
I can't imagine Tails would be screwed over too bad.

UNLESS... He's in the Tornado mech. That'd be a hype killer for me, but I'd still give it a shot.

Mr. Trumo

Smash Apprentice
I have only been on this site for 4 days and this thread's descent into madness is one of the greatest things ever.

LetterO

Smash Lord
This is equally stupid. Banjo and Kazooie can't use cans, clay pigeons, or NES Gunmen. Also, Duck Hunt's fighting style revolves around them being a quadruped, which Banjo and Kazooie are not. They're bipedal.
Aight, but can we at least both agree that Lucario replaced Mewtwo in Brawl?

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Like all plants do. Absorbs it in his body.

OG Terry with Garou alts would be ideal. Espeically if one of his color palettes was made to look like Rock.

Ryu Hayabusa is someone I've mentioned a few times. One of the major NES "icons" (along with Arthur and to a lesser extent Bill/Lance). He's THE video game ninja. Though Scorpion and Sub-Zero are close seconds, they act a bit less ninja-y and more like comic book characters.
If not as a character, I'd be down for Arthur as an assist and I still want the spread gun to be an item if it's the only thing we ever get from Contra.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Just gonna put it out there, there's another vaguely semi-romantic Fire Emblem ending between two characters of the same gender, There's always Lyn x Florina
Lyn Florina.png

And for her, there's no risk of having a hidden descendant retconned in down the line.

So if you want some (possible) LGBT undertones represented in Smash, you know who to push.

What? No, this isn't desperate pandering for more support, pft why whould you think that?

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Yeah, that sister who marries no one, does not travel to realms unknown, and would most certainly not have Ragnell for any reason.

She's definitely Priam's ancestor.
I mean, she can marry Boyd if they A support.

Mist acted on her feelings for Boyd, marrying him. She cried during the vows, much to Boyd’s chagrin.
They even get the whole EliwoodxNinian extra dialogue change in RD if you hook them up.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I have only been on this site for 4 days and this thread's descent into madness is one of the greatest things ever.
It's RUBY MADNESS I tell you!

It's all made us into this. Only Dr. Mario knows the cure, and he isn't even a real doctor!

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
that's 2 "dude no stop what are you doing"s tonight
I attempted to talk about something related to Nintendo Direct twice and no one noticed because it is getting drowned out by stuff 13-year-olds would talk about. "Is Bowser a virgin?" "Is this character gay?"

Truth be told, LGBT representation in games is important. But it's not that important in a game where characters aren't anything more than toys beating each other up for no reason.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Which is lame. And not an excuse to make the same lame choice again.
Sure. I clearly used that comparison as joke, but whatever.

If you don't think Paper Mario couldn't have a ton of different moves like ZSS, then you aren't payin much attention to his games.

Using his hammer in a ton of ways (bashing, spin hammer, hammer toss), turning into a paper airplane, even using partner attacks can help him stand out.

WallyPalmer

Smash Journeyman
I'd go on about the Priam stuff, but it basically seems like a good chunk of you guys thoroughly explained it.

Anyway, here's a question I don't see thrown around quite a bit:
Think about your most wanted character, how would you feel if they got in and didn't feel suited to your play-style? Would you still try to adapt and main them, or would you just appreciate their spot on the roster and move on?
I can't really see Bandana Dee being too hard to learn how to play unless he was a Stance Fighter (using elemental attacks from Star Allies) or being extremely combo-heavy, which seems unlikely. If he's in, I would really try to buckle down and learn how to use him though. He matters a lot to me <3

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Just gonna put it out there, there's another vaguely semi-romantic Fire Emblem ending between two characters of the same gender, There's always Lyn x Florina
View attachment 163021
And for her, there's no risk of having a hidden descendant retconned in down the line.

So if you want some (possible) LGBT undertones represented in Smash, you know who to push.

What? No, this isn't desperate pandering for more support, pft why whould you think that?
I'll take Corrin and Keaton (**** u h8rs i say its real)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
View attachment 163021

But Fire Emblem already has 2 LGBT reps smh Fire Emblem really out here taking the most slots

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
All this talk of lgbt representation...personally, I would love to see some Black representation in Smash.

Last edited:

Androobie

Banned via Warnings
Mewtwo was on the Brawl disc. He was planned to be there ALONGSIDE Lucario. He was cut for allegedly time restraint reasons. Lucario did not take Mewtwo's spot. If anything, he took Pichu's seeing as Pichu wasn't on the disc for Brawl at all. If you think having one similar move means he replaced Mewtwo, then you should probably assume that Meta Knight replaced Mewtwo because his Down B is similar to Mewtwo's Up B. Thank you and good night.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
He didn't though. Mewtwo was low priority due to his lackluster reception in Melee. People were ass backwards mad that Mewtwo was as terrible as he was. To the point that people actually WANTED him cut (Thanks Smash Fanbase) if there had been a little more time he could've easily made the cut. Lucario just happened to have a similar Neutral Special.

Toon Link replaced Young Link though. I think that's the only instance of a character legitimately getting replaced. Not that it mattered since they were so similar.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Mewtwo was on the Brawl disc. He was planned to be there ALONGSIDE Lucario. He was cut for allegedly time restraint reasons. Lucario did not take Mewtwo's spot. If anything, he took Pichu's seeing as Pichu wasn't on the disc for Brawl at all. If you think having one similar move means he replaced Mewtwo, then you should probably assume that Meta Knight replaced Mewtwo because his Down B is similar to Mewtwo's Up B. Thank you and good night.
Clearly Lucario is a Samus semi-clone, if anything.

Enchess

Smash Lord
He didn't though. Mewtwo was low priority due to his lackluster reception in Melee. People were *** backwards mad that Mewtwo was as terrible as he was. To the point that people actually WANTED him cut (Thanks Smash Fanbase) if there had been a little more time he could've easily made the cut. Lucario just happened to have a similar Neutral Special.

Toon Link replaced Young Link though. I think that's the only instance of a character legitimately getting replaced. Not that it mattered since they were so similar.
While I agree Young Link was replaced by Toon Link, I love the way Young Link feels and hate the way Toon Link feels. They weren't similar enough..

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Also most characters don't really have a sexuality anyways? it's up to your own interpretation.
True. I prefer to leave it in the dark and not touch it. Having my own opinion will get my head blown off one of these days, not like it's a bad thing but it's like throwing a bouncy ball in a minefield and hoping you don't trigger something (or someone).

just me tho

WallyPalmer

Smash Journeyman
All this talk of lgbt representation...personally, I would love to see some Black representation in Smash.
This I can also agree with! I think Twintelle is my top choice for a Black pic in smash, because she's so damn cool. Marina from Splatoon, or Olivia from Pokémon would also both be really cool!

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Why Is everyone wanting representation in a game about Green dinosaurs, Robots, Pocket monster, and fire breathing turtles.

Smash should be kept sperate from the real world and a character should be included on their own merits.

Their gender, sexuality and skin colour should not matter in a game like smash and I have no idea why people are bringing politics into a Nintendo game.

I'm going to take my leave until the topic changes.

Last edited:

Chrono.

While I agree Young Link was replaced by Toon Link, I love the way Young Link feels and hate the way Toon Link feels. They weren't similar enough..
To me, no Link has felt as right as Young Link to me.

Hopefully he feels just as good in Ultimate still.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
He didn't though. Mewtwo was low priority due to his lackluster reception in Melee. People were *** backwards mad that Mewtwo was as terrible as he was. To the point that people actually WANTED him cut (Thanks Smash Fanbase) if there had been a little more time he could've easily made the cut. Lucario just happened to have a similar Neutral Special.

And to clear up how it's not that odd, the other Zelda characters got effectively replaced by their GameCube counterparts too. All Twilight Princess designs. Sheik was an exception, having a design explicitly made for her as asked by Sakurai alone, meaning he wanted to keep her in. So unless they said no to make the design, she wasn't even a "lucky addition" in Brawl. Ganondorf, to put it in perspective, had a chance of never making it in. Sheik was still treated as more important.

It's sad, but villains aren't that prioritized despite having an important role. Ganondorf has always had little priority to begin with. Ultimate is the first major change up, and that's mainly due to fanservice being the focus of this game. It's barely a change-up to begin with. He still mostly plays the same. But it's not like he would've had any severe changes anyway. Nobody has, and it should be expected to stay that way.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Ryu Hayabusa is someone I've mentioned a few times. One of the major NES "icons" (along with Arthur and to a lesser extent Bill/Lance). He's THE video game ninja. Though Scorpion and Sub-Zero are close seconds, they act a bit less ninja-y and more like comic book characters.
Why not get both Ryu Hayabusa and Scorpion + Sub-Zero (Echo)?

They may be ninjas but they are very different.

Sub-Zero can have the same normal moves as Scorpion but they can have different special moves.

The ninja from Ninja Gaiden can be completely unique and different from the Mortal Kombat ninjas!

And when Sakurai finally decide to add Takamaru in Smash, we could get a trailer where Takamaru battles Ryu Hayabusa, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Sheik, and Greninja! :awesome:

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I skipped like 20 pages ahead and everyone on this thread is still talking about Ike's gender. We really need that direct to come out soon lol.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Their gender, sexuality and skin colour should not matter in a game like smash and I have no idea why people are bringing politics into a Nintendo game.
Welcome to the 21st century where it matters now for some reason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom