• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Anybody going to use their amiibo to unlock some characters right from the gate?
God, I hate moving those off my shelf. I have so many,; anyway I really do want to day-1 Wolf, like literally as soon as I hit the CSS, yet I really want the single-player grinding to last as long as possible. If Wolf's amiibo is ready by the release of SSBU, I'm buying it.

D

Deleted member

Here's an attempt at a "game"...

Favorite Song in the Entirety of Smash
Favorite Stage in the Entirety of Smash

Song: Pollyanna/I Believe In You (the alt song from Melee's Onett)
Stage: Hyrule Temple

I think I would love Midgar, but I never got to play it much, cause I dropped Smash 4 before Cloud's DLC was a thing. But it really feels like a "me" stage.
YIKESSS. I mean, this **** is gonna be hard, considering we're talking about the entirety of Smash Brothers.
I'm gonna go with...

Song: Smiles and Tears (from EarthBound / MOTHER 2)
Stage: Magicant

You gotta look at it as someone who's a huge MOTHER fan, especially when it comes to Smash Bros. Yeah, MOTHER 3 representation is always amazing, but we never really usually get much mileage out of Smash Bros, when it comes to adding Mother content that virtually EVERYONE can recognize.

Seeing Magicant and the new MOTHER songs executed so damn well... Honestly, that's the reason why Smash 3DS will always be better than Wii U, sorry lmaooo

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
NoJ has started Tweeting again so maybe we can see an announcement in the next few hours.

I think we all need it.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Man I'd be so jealous if Smash gets a character like you in it.

Especially because no one IRL is actually has a character like themselves in it already, unless there are some Italian plumbers in the thread already.

None of us are princesses or princes of fantasy kingdoms or space warriors or dinosaurs or hedgehogs or turtles or kings of evil or vampire hunters or... you get the idea.

Smash is representing no one as a demographic and, as a result, it isn't obligated to represented anyone. I get the appeal of having characters like yourself (as an Indigenous person I'd love to see my people shown off as more than the token weird guy no one takes seriously), but Smash is not the game to push representation in because the game isn't about trying to replicate reality.

Once Nintendo starts adding more LGBT/BIPOC to their games, then we can hopefully have them added in Smash. And hopefully they've learned from the Soleil controversy to do it right this time.
I actually do have a character like me in Smash. Shulk is pretty much exactly me in terms of gender, sexuality, religion, and race. He's also an engineer like me. He even has similar hair color and style...

Anyway, I don't see any harm in others wanting a character they can relate to more.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
This is apparently official art from A Link to the Past. Japan only, of course.
That's pretty cool but even if it shows that Link is indeed Christian he wasn't included in smash because of that. That's the point in trying to make about all this. Smash isn't real life and isn't trying to represent real life which is indeed diverse it's a celebration of iconic Nintendo characters.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Just a question but was anybody actually asking to add a a lgbt character just on that alone? Heck, I'd settle for just some good lgbt characters existing in the first place. They're pretty far and few between. Only good one I can think of is Ellie from The Last of Us and that's certainly not getting in Smash.

Shroob

Sup?
NoJ has started Tweeting again so maybe we can see an announcement in the next few hours.

I think we all need it.
I think we all need a stiff drink after this, even the young'uns grab a pint and drink yourself drunk, this entire ordeal has been nuts.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

I think I would love Midgar, but I never got to play it much, cause I dropped Smash 4 before Cloud's DLC was a thing. But it really feels like a "me" stage.
Stickerbush Symphony (cliche I know, but I can't help it)
Magicant

D

Deleted member

Genuinely shocked that we haven't heard anything yet about a new date.
I wonder what they've got planned.
PushDustin came by earlier and said that most likely the reason we haven't heard of a new date is because Nintendo is going around various outlets and companies to re-organize the media plan.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
Did you just put “interesting” and “Lucina” in the same paragraph?
Ehh you get what I mean.
I was thinking of protagonists when I was writing it, and her name came up.
Still though, for the sake of the argument, she has resonated with a lot of fans regardless of your opinion on her.

potato69

Smash Apprentice

Favorite song: Unfounded Revenge
Favourite stage: Temple (of course)

It's tough to choose just one song.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
That said, I'mma just say I hate shipping in general. ESPECIALLY if two characters are supposed to be friends, yet people want them to **** like having a bro is this impossible thing that occurs in real life. And that fiction, like with everything else drives aspects of life and exaggerates them in a ton of ways.

This also happens when two characters hate each other a lot too. It's all trash.

because these people probably don't have friends.

Heracr055

Smash Ace
Favorite Song: Brinstar Depths
Favorite Stage: Pokefloats

It's weird. I'm really big on a lot of the Melee stuff. Maybe because that was my friends' peak of interest in Smash, and thus was the most fun I had playing it with irl people.

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I am all for diverse representation in media, in all capacities. I absolutely believe in pushing more media out there with strong female characters, characters of rich racial diversity, LGBT characters, etc.

The problem is Smash can only work with what it has. Nintendo hasn't exactly exceeded in this department historically. Expecting a Japanese company to reflect the social progress of western culture is a surefire way to be disappointed. The root of the problem comes to Nintendo and their source material.
Adding onto this,

The problem as well is, a lot of Nintendo's fantastic writers are basically locked up these days and/or forced to work on things they don't particularly care on. The other big thing to note is, getting LBGT+, PoC, etc additions is hard when... most of these characters that have any deeper plotlines are reserved to side characters.

Heck, most of the main characters of Nintendo already have the 'silent protag' disease.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Okay so everyone here can agree that Smash isn't the game series that needs more diversity.
Smash needs a playable African American character who isn’t a Mii...and I think we all know who fills that role perfectly

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
That said, I'mma just say I hate shipping in general. ESPECIALLY if two characters are supposed to be friends, yet people want them to **** like having a bro is this impossible thing that occurs in real life. And that fiction, like with everything else drives aspects of life and exaggerates them in a ton of ways.

This also happens when two characters hate each other a lot too. It's all trash.

because these people probably don't have friends.
But I have fun over on the Shipping thread :yoshi:

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
im pretty sure the pope was watching twilight and got scared of the vampires so he called sakurai on his pope phone and said he wanted the belmonts in for when his prerelease arrives.

I'm of the team that the representation (double meanings lmao) in smash isn't a product of Sakurai or the development team's decisions, it's just the place that society is in right now. I also think just attributing a demographic quality to a character for the sake of doing it doesn't do anything for the character or representation (looking at you, Rowling). In a hopefully not controversial example, saying the Belmonts are Christian does something for their character, since they use objects of Christian nature to battle evils, while, for instance, if they announced Mario was Christian, it would do nothing for his character because he isn't built around being Christian. It's sort of a weird example since I'm pretty sure the Christian imagery in Castlevania has about as much meaning as it does in Evangelion (read: nil), but that's where I'm sort of coming from. Was there a point to this? Probably not, but I got to bring up Eva in the thread
I thought they just used Christian **** NGE because they thought it sounded cool.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm just saying, if you want a new black smasher, support Elma.

She's cool.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Dang... I don't want this to be a Xenoblade discussion, but I don't agree with your Shulk sentiment at all. Especially after playing 2 and other Tetsuya Takahashi games. I wouldn't say it's clear cut like that.
"And so what I... No what we wish for is... A world with no Gods!"
Idk... Shulk is pretty adamant about creating a world without gods in Xenoblade. There are other statements like this litterred throughout too. Its not an uncommon interpretation of the story. Especially when you start drawing parallels between the gods of Xenoblade and different denominations views of god.

I havent finished 2 yet, so maybe something there will change my mind.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Sorry but I can never truly enjoy Smash if there isn't a character who yells "I'M GAAAAAAAY" when the kill someone
Simpleflips?
I guess I’ll have to make a Simpleflips Mii when Ultimate comes out

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
Just a question but was anybody actually asking to add a a lgbt character just on that alone? Heck, I'd settle for just some good lgbt characters existing in the first place. They're pretty far and few between. Only good one I can think of is Ellie from The Last of Us and that's certainly not getting in Smash.
nah, I think the argument just got simplified as it went on, a better version of the argument would be that people look for traits in characters they like they have in common, like what they fight for, things that have happened in the past, etc. Because queer representation isn't very common in media, it doesn't organically show up in Smash. So when people look at characters and try to find gay aspects about them, it's not because they want that to be why that character exists and got in, they're just looking for a common thread to connect with. Characters might not be outright Christian, but a lot of them do still follow traditional Christian values or ideals, even if they're simple ones, and if you're Christian it shapes your view on the world even if you don't realize it. You'll connect to a lot of characters because they're modeled after the lifestyle you've been influenced by. It's the same way with the queer community. We don't want to force a bunch of characters to be gay, but we recognize parts of them that mirror the lifestyle that we've forged as well, so we associate the two. Sometimes characters are intentionally coded like that, sometimes they aren't, but that's the mindset of where the representation discussion comes from. I hope it wasn't too much of stepping on people's toes or came off as too preachy.

Last edited:

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
I too never understood the appeal of conjuring up relationships between fictional characters.
I don't mind that as much as I mind people hoping/pushing for their stupid ass ships to become canon and that whole hardheartedly include **** like Sherlock Watson or Mercy Pharah, talk to me bout diversity/representation all you want but those ships make no ****ing sense and in some cases are directly in contrast what we're told about some characters

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Favorite track: Spark Man stage(remix)

Favorite stage: Wily Castle/Pokemon Stadium 1

Clearly my opinions are unbiased. :ultmegaman:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Great cover. I suppose he said he stole the bananas for her, too?
K. Rool is just likely for a gay representative.
Even if the creators didn’t intend on it, I don’t think anyone would be surprised. Maybe just surprised they didn’t make the connection before.
He seems like he’s stuck in the closet, likes to come off majestic and bedazzled with a crown, he’s angry for....no reason? Naw. He’s angry because he fears the ******* kremlings wont accept him if he just tells them the truth. So, he just rules them with cruelty to vent. He also like to change wardrobe every time someone sees him. K. Rool, King of Queens.
Please don't.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Fine. You want LGBT representation in Smash? Then support Team Rocket for Smash.

1536559292771.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom