• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
I'm taking my lunch break at my morning job at 12 to watch the direct tomorrow. Fortunately I live 5 mins from the place so I'm driving home at 11:50 lol.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Nintendo is gonna make me feel so drenched out

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I just hope there's no long gameplay demos in Nintendo's show like MS showing off Division 2 for waaaay longer than past the point where they made their point.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Nintendo don't do that, directs are concise and gameplay demos are for the Treehouse
True, though I hope they don't do an super intense break-down on how fortnite works. Save that time for Smash or something else new.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
True, though I hope they don't do an super intense break-down on how fortnite works. Save that time for Smash or something else new.
I highly doubt Fortnite is going to be anything more than a regular trailer reveal.Trailer + couple sentences and maybe a pic of Nintendo based costume.

Edit: basically Dark Souls from last direct at maximum.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

We get to E3 and this is what's revealed:

Captain Toad
Bewear
Ridley
Ice Climbers
Snake
Steve
Simon Belmont

How do you feel coming off the show? Are you hype? Are you angry?
Simon Belmont would be spoilling me rotten. That alone would make me satissfied.

I don't even care for the like of Icies, Alolan Pokémon or Steve, Simon already makes it golden for me.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
We get to E3 and this is what's revealed:

Captain Toad
Bewear
Ridley
Ice Climbers
Snake
Steve
Simon Belmont

How do you feel coming off the show? Are you hype? Are you angry?
Ridley + Toad are characters I've wanted, Belmont would be hype, Snake coming back would be hype, Steve would be interesting, and Bewear would be hilarious and **** over 99% of people's rosters which in itself would make me laugh. Yeah the only downside for me is that most of it's been leaked so there'd be no real surprises (minus bewear)

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
So I just got back from a week long vacation with my family, came back, and everything looks completely different. Can’t say I love the website redesign, but I can deal.

Could anyone give me an update on the freshest new leaks going into E3? I’m still banking on Ridley, personally

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
So I just got back from a week long vacation with my family, came back, and everything looks completely different. Can’t say I love the website redesign, but I can deal.

Could anyone give me an update on the freshest new leaks going into E3? I’m still banking on Ridley, personally
Vergeben got more credibility after he correctly predicted a few Microsoft games, and a new rumor is floating around stating that Robobot Kirby, Steenee, and Athlete are playable.

...and that's pretty much it. Not much else has happened.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord

Basically some J-Stars game was revealed which corroborated one of Vergeben's sources (the guy who claimed Ridley, Simon Belmont, Snake, IC). Not sure what this particular source told him but some people think this makes him more credible.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Okay, but if you going to make a leak to troll people and you wanted it to be taken seriously, why would you include Steenee and Robobot Kirby? No one would.
Why would you say R.O.B. is in the game when he's already confirmed a story mode NPC? No one would...unless it's real.

But I'll hold off defending this rumor for now. I was vehemently convinced Shulk was Little Mac, and I don't want to be burned again lol
No, you just gave the reason you'd do this. "Wow, it seems so fake it's real" is actually a popular technique when making leaks. It catches people off guard and makes us think "Wait, this seems so unlikely, and Sakurai loves to surprise us so it might actually be real..."

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

Verge Ben got the jump fight thing correct

He's the only one who said that

And the source for the jump fight he got is the same for the smash stuff so Ridley may at long last won the war

Last edited:

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
No, you just gave the reason you'd do this. "Wow, it seems so fake it's real" is actually a popular technique when making leaks. It catches people off guard and makes us think "Wait, this seems so unlikely, and Sakurai loves to surprise us so it might actually be real..."
At the same time, we can't just dismiss something right away just because it seems fake. Leaking Wii Fit Trainer early and no one believing it was an instance of this.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well that's gotta be the most random Pokemon choice I ever heard. I'd have thought Tsareena if the had to go for a non starter grass type or Braixen if they needed a "cute anime girl" Pokemon

?????????????

Smash Master
At the same time, we can't just dismiss something right away just because it seems fake. Leaking Wii Fit Trainer early and no one believing it was an instance of this.
I mean, sure, we can't DISPROVE it.

But on the other hand...nothing's stopping me from going there right now, making an anonymous account, and saying "Guys, BIG surprise. The next Pokemon newcomer is actually Salazzle, and here's how she works:"

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I just woke up from a dream where they revealed Ridley for Smash.
And I tell you, he was CHILD FRIENDLY AF. Could just have been Spyro, but no, it was everyones over friendly, happy to be here, Ridley.

God, what has this community done to me, when I dream about Ridley for Smash.
He is not even on my top 5 most wanted characters.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
The thing is that there are so many Gen 7 Pokémon that people really want and have more moveset potential compared to Stenee. So I can see why Stenee can be seen as fake. Heck, I’d even take Bewear over Stenee.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Steenee makes absolutely no sense, on any level. Not heavily marketed, not hugely popular, not relevant in any sense besides being Gen 7...

Even if the roster was decided before Gen 7 was finished up, I just can't see Sakurai combing through the new selection and settling on a random mid-stage grass Pokemon from the resident fruit line, saying "ah yes, this is what the people will love" and TPC saying "yes excellent choice Sakurai that'll be a winner for sure".

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Steenee makes absolutely no sense, on any level. Not heavily marketed, not hugely popular, not relevant in any sense besides being Gen 7...

Even if the roster was decided before Gen 7 was finished up, I just can't see Sakurai combing through the new selection and settling on a random mid-stage grass Pokemon from the resident fruit line, saying "ah yes, this is what the people will love" and TPC saying "yes excellent choice Sakurai that'll be a winner for sure".
You're right. The only relevance Steenee has is being the companion of one of the most forgettable main characters in the anime. There are so many better choices. There's the starters, Lycanroc, Mimikyu, and even Eevee.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
It's not fair for me to say Steenee wouldn't be unique because I haven't seriously considered it for Smash before. I'll give it a pass on that.

That being said, there's not much for Sakurai to gain by choosing such a random Pokemon. There virtually no promotion specifically for Steenee, and Game Freak hasn't put much of an emphasis on it in the Sun and Moon games. I know Sakurai loves oddball characters, but this one seems too risky and redundant even for him.

Last edited:
Plot twist: When E3 comes, during the Smash bros segment, the screen is blank for 30 seconds, then Sakurai comes onscreen, reveals the new game was a hoax, and then leaves. Cue the saltstorm.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I just woke up from a dream where they revealed Ridley for Smash.
And I tell you, he was CHILD FRIENDLY AF. Could just have been Spyro, but no, it was everyones over friendly, happy to be here, Ridley.

God, what has this community done to me, when I dream about Ridley for Smash.
He is not even on my top 5 most wanted characters.
Yessss, the plan is working. Soon, all will dream of Ridley in smash. ALLLLL

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I just rewatched every Smash 4 character trailer + Maximilian Dood reaction to Cloud getting in.

I have the biggest stupid smirk on my face, you can't imagine.:denzel:

Whatever we get tomorrow, right now, I'm happy enough that I won't be bothered by whatever odd choice Sakurai may choice.

And hey, if the character I want the most get in, I be even happier!

In any case, 'hope everyone here will have a good time too.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
It's not fair for me to say Steenee wouldn't be unique because I haven't seriously considered it for Smash before. I'll give it a pass on that.

That being said, there's not much for Sakurai to gain by choosing such a random Pokemon. There virtually no promotion specifically for Steenee, and Game Freak hasn't put much of an emphasis on it in the Sun and Moon games. I know Sakurai loves oddball characters, but this one seems too risky and redundant even for him.
It also goes against everything that makes sense for a Pokemon rep. I could understand an oddball rep for a niche series or retro game, but this is Pokemon, which, if we look at all additions since the very beginning, have all been about relevance, popularity, and marketing. We also know that the Pokemon Company has a hand in helping Sakurai decide who the newcomer can be, so why would they "okay" Steenee when there are characters like Incineroar, Decidueye, Mimikyu, or Lycanroc? Even lesser talked about characters like Tapu Koko, the Ultra Beasts, and Bewear make more sense.

Edit: I said Gamefreak when I meant the Pokemon Company. Fixed it!

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Simon Belmont would be spoilling me rotten. That alone would make me satissfied.

I don't even care for the like of Icies, Alolan Pokémon or Steve, Simon already makes it golden for me.
That's how I felt when Duck Hunt Dog got in SSB4. I think he was the only character I actively supported that actually got in SSB4.

Newcomers in the base game:

:4villager::4villagerf: - I liked the idea of playing as Tom Nook or "Animal Crossing Human" in Smash but I didn't actively support them since I was not playing Animal Crossing games at the time. The only game I played was the original game for the Gamecube. In fact, Villager getting in Smash hyped me enough to buy New Leaf and I started playing Animal Crossing again.

:4megaman: - I liked the idea of playing as Mega Man in Smash but I didn't actively support them. I figured Mega Man didn't need my support since he already had many vocal supporters to the point he was the most-wanted third-party character for SSB4.

:4wiifit::4wiifitm: - I didn't support them because I didn't even know they existed.

:rosalina: - I didn't support Rosalina because I thought she would be a clone of Peach and because I wanted Toad more.

:4littlemac: - I liked the idea of playing as Little Mac in Smash since pre-Melee but I didn't actively support him. I figured Little Mac didn't need my support since he already had many vocal supporters to the point he was the most-wanted retro character for SSB4.

:4greninja: - I knew a 6th gen Pokémon would get in but I didn't support any of them. I didn't know which one would stand out... and of course because I was still hopelessly and futilely supporting Meowth for Smash.

:4mii::4miif: - I expected Miis would get in Smash eventually. I liked the idea but I didn't actively support them.

:4palutena: - I liked Kid Icarus Uprising and I liked Palutena in that game and I loved her new design. I figured Palutena didn't need my support because she already had many vocal supporters to the point she was the most-wanted female character for SSB4.

:4darkpit: - I didn't support Dark Pit because I correctly assumed he would be a clone of Pit.

:4pacman: - I liked the idea of playing as Pac-Man in Smash. I had a feeling Pac-Man would get in Smash because Namco was working on SSB4. I didn't actively support Pac-Man because I felt he didn't need my support since he already had many vocal supporters to the point he was the most-wanted third-party character for SSB4 after Mega Man.

:4lucina: - I didn't support Lucina because I correctly assumed she would be a clone of Marth.

:4robinm::4robinf: - I didn't support Robin because I don't play Fire Emblem games (my boyfriend does) and because I assumed Chrom would get in.

:4shulk: - I didn't actively support Shulk because I didn't play Xenoblade Chronicles at the time (I eventually played the New 3DS version). I liked the idea of Shulk in Smash. I felt Shulk didn't need my support since I figured he already had many vocal supporters to the point Nintendo actually brought Xenoblade Chronicles to the West (Operation Rainfall).

:4bowserjr: - I didn't support Bowser Jr. because I thought he would be a clone of Bowser and because I wanted Toad more.

:4duckhunt: - Finally! The last character revealed for the base game! The only character I actively supported that actually got in! The reason I was actively supporting Duck Hunt Dog for Smash was because no one else were actively supporting him. The character many people thought was unlikely... the character I really wanted for 12 years... actually got in! The dog alone made me elated and made me feel better about not having characters I actively supported since pre-Melee days like Toad, Meowth, and Dixie Kong.

Onua

Smash Journeyman
Honestly I wonder about something

Do you guys think the character reveals will be during the direct or spread out?

Like a few in the direct, a few in the treehouse, a few during the tournament.

Also splatoon starts relatively late so it looks like this is going to be an ALL day event.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
Guys. I am awake at ass o'clock PST for one reason. I have a flight to catch, and that flight's taking me to E3. I'll be sure to report back how hype the invitational is

So_many_mails

Smash Apprentice
The thing I'm worried about if the Vergeben leak turns out to be true (and it looks like it is imo), then he clearly has an insider, and could potentially leak the whole roster.

I think a whole roster leak would be really sad to be honest, since surprising reveals are the best part of the hype cycle.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Guys. I am awake at *** o'clock PST for one reason. I have a flight to catch, and that flight's taking me to E3. I'll be sure to report back how hype the invitational is
Have a good time. And if you see Chunky Kong, get a photograph

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If It's Steenee then that would sort of explain why Mallow's Bounsweet evolved so quickly in the anime (Well, other than the fact that you can only do so much with a fruit with a face...) I don't really see it happening but eh...

I'm taking it that a lot of rumours have been popping up now? Can't wait for the official reveals.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom