• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I mean, sure, we can't DISPROVE it.

But on the other hand...nothing's stopping me from going there right now, making an anonymous account, and saying "Guys, BIG surprise. The next Pokemon newcomer is actually Salazzle, and here's how she works:"
Nah man, I've seen the Demo.
The new Pokémon is actually Turtonator.
He's a weird one that always has his BACK to his opponent, so you have to go by where his head is facing to know where he's attacking. He takes more damage if you manage to attack his stomach and has a lot of defensive moves and counters.

He was added because of the anime having a prominent Turtonator under the ownership of Kiwae, one of Ash's classmates in Alola. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I mean, it was only a nitpick...never legit wanted them gone or anything.

You’d think I’d be asking for Link, Samus, and Cap to cut cause of it.

And yeah, it kinda does bug me that they overwhelm them for the first time, cause the cartoon designed characters fit Smash more.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't care about how the character's bodies are proportioned. I just care about having a good, balanced roster of fighters.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
24 hours remain. I have absolutely no idea how I am going to fall sleep tonight, but I don't care. Tomorrow is gonna be amazing, I can just feel it!

Last edited:

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
Hmmm...

Smash 64
9 Cartoony: :4mario::4luigi::4dk::4yoshi::4kirby::4fox::4pikachu::4jigglypuff::4ness:
3 Anime/Realistic: :4link::4samus::4falcon:

Melee
8 Cartoony: :4peach::4bowser::4drmario::4falco::4mewtwo::pichumelee::popo::4gaw:
6 Anime/Realistic: :4zelda::4sheik::4ganondorf::younglinkmelee::4marth::4feroy:

Brawl
13 Cartoony: :4wario::4diddy::4tlink::4dedede::4metaknight::wolf::squirtle::ivysaur::4charizard::4lucario::4lucas::4olimar::4sonic:
5 Anime/Realistic: :4zss::4myfriends::4pit::4rob::snake:

SSB4
8 (or 10 if you count 3 Mii Fighters) Cartoony: :rosalina::4bowserjr::4greninja::4villager::4mii::4duckhunt::4megaman::4pacman:
11 Anime/Realistic: :4lucina::4robinm::4corrin::4palutena::4darkpit::4wiifit::4littlemac::4shulk::4ryu::4cloud::4bayonetta:

So because the anime/realistic characters barely outnumber cartoony characters in Smash for the first time, it's problematic? I think this "too many anime characters" complaint is just people being salty about Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus getting "too many characters".
I agree that it's a little silly to just expect cartoony newcomers, but, due to the massive amount of FE newcomers, it did make this Smash feel a bit bloated on realistic characters. I'm also one of those people who are salty about FE and think it was in no way deserving of all the characters it got in Smash 4 (Corrin was the straw that broke the camel's back). But that's just me.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Nah man, I've seen the Demo.
The new Pokémon is actually Turtonator.
He's a weird one that always has his BACK to his opponent, so you have to go by where his head is facing to know where he's attacking. He takes more damage if you manage to attack his stomach.
Ok but this sounds just like a piggyback off of my idea for Medusa a day or two ago.

Please understand.

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
I mean I'm happy with the amount of humanized 'anime' characters because I'm a human trash can but I am also in big support of having more distorted characters as well, especially given some of Nintendo's bigger origin series like Mario and Kirby. Splatoon and ARMS bring us more characters in this style, so I think we'll see a transition to a more diverse set of character types.

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339

I tried my best to fit all of wanted characters in a single GIF but PhotoShop was restricted with 500 frames so I managed to put so many before I hit that limit.
Thank you for doing these this past month, it has made the wait a lot easier.

Also that sad Ridley at the end. Hopefully this game is his time to shine!

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Hmmm...

Smash 64
9 Cartoony: :4mario::4luigi::4dk::4yoshi::4kirby::4fox::4pikachu::4jigglypuff::4ness:
3 Anime/Realistic: :4link::4samus::4falcon:

Melee
8 Cartoony: :4peach::4bowser::4drmario::4falco::4mewtwo::pichumelee::popo::4gaw:
6 Anime/Realistic: :4zelda::4sheik::4ganondorf::younglinkmelee::4marth::4feroy:

Brawl
13 Cartoony: :4wario::4diddy::4tlink::4dedede::4metaknight::wolf::squirtle::ivysaur::4charizard::4lucario::4lucas::4olimar::4sonic:
5 Anime/Realistic: :4zss::4myfriends::4pit::4rob::snake:

SSB4
8 (or 10 if you count 3 Mii Fighters) Cartoony: :rosalina::4bowserjr::4greninja::4villager::4mii::4duckhunt::4megaman::4pacman:
11 Anime/Realistic: :4lucina::4robinm::4corrin::4palutena::4darkpit::4wiifit::4littlemac::4shulk::4ryu::4cloud::4bayonetta:

So because the anime/realistic characters barely outnumber cartoony characters in Smash for the first time, it's problematic? I think this "too many anime characters" complaint is just people being salty about Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus getting "too many characters".
It's kind of funny, but aside from Xenoblade & Ridley (if the rumors are true), I can't think of many anime newcomers I'd put stock in.

Because it would be a crime not to post this:

DYED

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 8460 7625 6123
Exactly -24 hours for the conference. Hop into the hype train, boys.

I don't know you guys, but I'm going to watch the whole thing with my little list in hand, where I've written all my predictions. I'm going to tick off every character, stage or item I've predicted the past few weeks as and if they get revealed on stage, like I did with the Melee intro when it got shown for the first time.
I feel like a little kid again, lol.

Last edited:

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
And so... We are just a fingertip away.

Edit: Yes I actually timed this post exactly right this time just for the couple of you that complained that these posts should be posted at exactly 12pm EST, ARE YOU HAPPY NOW, DAD?!

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Added a little more with an edit.
Was your Medusa specialized in defensive moves and counters? :V
Naw, you can only attack Medusa from behind. If she faces you, you get turned to stone.

When asked about this overpowered mechanic, Sakurai answers, "Providing accurate portrayals of characters is something I want to pay ample attention to."

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
By this time tomorrow we'll have seen the new trailer for the game.

By this time tomorrow this place will probably crash.

Mogu

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
1728-6760-6013
So, er, I have a question.

At what time tomorrow will the Smash Direct play for me? I live in Eastern time.
In about a days time from now. 12 o' clock PM, my friend.

Edit: Oh wait, you mean the invitational don't you? Nevermind, my bad. I don't know.... Sorry.

Last edited:

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
~This board will blow up~
~Tomorrow~
~Bet your bottom dollar~
~That tomorrow~
~There'll be Smash~

Less than 24 hours left. Time to push through today like nobody's business.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
24 hours remain. I have absolutely no idea how I am going to fall sleep tonight, but I don't care. Tomorrow is gonna be amazing, I can just feel it!
That's why I woke up early this morning. I'm tired now, which means I'll go to bed tonight.

Hopefully

Originality

Smash Journeyman
So what about Chibi-Robo? I feel we do not talk about him enough.
Nobody talks about him enough ;~;
But I had a thought that if we do get a Sandersons House stage in which everyone we play as is small, then Chibi would be normal size. Idk if this helps his chances, just thought it'd be a better pitch than him being smaller or as small as Olimar

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
Don't you think that you're putting your expectations a little too high with some of the 3rd party characters? I find it very doubtful that Microsoft will let Nintendo use its property, and with Sora being Disney's property, it should be noted that his partners are not even video game characters.
I always have low expectations for the roster, and the choices I made with the characters is what I saw from smash community. if I wasn't limited by 500 frames. Bandana Dee, Daisy, Few Pokemon, Heihachi, Lara Croft, etc would have got in the GIF as well.

Roberk

Smash Champion
I woke up 10 minutes before the time that the Direct was supposed to start in my timezone and I started going crazy... and then I realized it was still Monday lol. Hopefully all the E3 stuff today can pass the time.

I mean, it was only a nitpick...never legit wanted them gone or anything.

You’d think I’d be asking for Link, Samus, and Cap to cut cause of it.

And yeah, it kinda does bug me that they overwhelm them for the first time, cause the cartoon designed characters fit Smash more.
Certain characters cartoony, realistic, or "muh anime" don't "fit" Smash more than the other. They should all be included, the dichotomy between these styles is what makes the roster varied and interesting. Having a cartoon character battle it out isn't what's cool, it's having a cartoon character battle it out between other styles of characters like the realistic and "muh anime" ones is what makes the Smash roster interesting.

I can get preferring cartoon characters over others, but that doesn't make them more fit than anybody else.

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
These have been awesome to see, Intelliheath. Lots of hype!
Can't believe that it's almost here!

Amazing gif here. Also FINALLY, one more painful day. Let's just hope that we get a complete info dump on the game tomorrow.
I doubt that we will get full info dump but we are in for a short ride and I really hope people are getting what they wanted! :D

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Don't you think that you're putting your expectations a little too high with some of the 3rd party characters? I find it very doubtful that Microsoft will let Nintendo use its property, and with Sora being Disney's property, it should be noted that his partners are not even video game characters.
Sora very likely wouldn't fight with Donald and Goofy though.

A Disney executive said that Sora is fair game so long as Sakurai and Normura both want it.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
24 hours... If this place crashes or the internet crashes (thanks ridley) I'll see you guys on the other side of the info dump!

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
~This board will blow up~
~Tomorrow~
~Bet your bottom dollar~
~That tomorrow~
~There'll be Smash~

Less than 24 hours left. Time to push through today like nobody's business.
Ugh I just performed in that show from which the song is from...thanks for the memories lol

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Nobody talks about him enough ;~;
But I had a thought that if we do get a Sandersons House stage in which everyone we play as is small, then Chibi would be normal size. Idk if this helps his chances, just thought it'd be a better pitch than him being smaller or as small as Olimar
I don't think it's his size that's an issue. He can easily be scaled up a la Olimar.

I just don't see anyone talking about him which is a shame. He's super unique.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I am going to make one last bold move on my prediction roster:

You might be surprised who I added and who I took out.
I'm finally glad you FINALLY listened and got rid of the floating head and added Bandanna Dee

But get rid of Cardman, Tom Nook, Sora, Layton, and Steve

Zeox

Smash Champion
Sora very likely wouldn't fight with Donald and Goofy though.

A Disney executive said that Sora is fair game so long as Sakurai and Normura both want it.
I agree, Sora really doesn't need Donald or Goofy, not even in his final smash.
The only problem is the small "mickey" symbol in the keyblade:
Kingdom_Key_KH.png

I know is still a very tiny detail, but is a Disney symbol, would that be a problem or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom