• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I’m hoping we’ll get less “anime/realistic” and more cartoony newcomers for Smash Switch.

It still kinda triggers me that we didn’t get a single cartoony DLC newcomer for Smash 4.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
One day until it's one hour away from the direct.

The final sleep approaches.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Honestly I wonder about something

Do you guys think the character reveals will be during the direct or spread out?

Like a few in the direct, a few in the treehouse, a few during the tournament.

Also splatoon starts relatively late so it looks like this is going to be an ALL day event.
I'm gonna guess a few newcomers at the direct, like 2 or 3. Mainly veterans at the treehouse (MAYBEEEEE one newcomer), and a newcomer at the tournament.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I’m hoping we’ll get less “anime/realistic” and more cartoony newcomers for Smash Switch.

It still kinda triggers me that we didn’t get a single cartoony DLC newcomer for Smash 4.
You don't consider Mewtwo or Lucas cartoony?

But overall Smash 4 had a lot of humanoid fighters. It's nice to see that the most wanted newcomers are all more cartoony/less humanoid.

Dee Dude

3DS FC
0576-7674-5319

But overall Smash 4 had a lot of humanoid fighters. It's nice to see that the most wanted newcomers are all more cartoony/less humanoid.
Newcomers. Not Veterans.

But yeah, when all we got were Ryu, Cloud, Bayonetta and Corrin, it was kinda annoying to me. (even though, I enjoyed Cloud and Ryu.)

Last edited:

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432

Mewtwo and Lucas were DLC veterans.

EDIT: :4greninja:‘d

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Newcomers. Not Veterans.

But yeah, when all we got were Ryu, Cloud, Bayonetta and Corrin, it was kinda annoying to me. (even though, I enjoyed Cloud and Ryu.)
You're absolutely right sorry, I often look at veterans who are returning from games they skipped out on as newcomers but I know I'm like the only person who thinks that way.

And yet half the characters in Vergeben's rumor are realistic humans. How painfully ironic.
Oh you're right! I didn't even think of that XD

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Well, it is one day until the Direct. I have a question for you all...

Are you ready?!

Dee Dude

3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Oh man oh man! 10 minute footage of Mario vs Link on Battlefield V.3 with a 5 minute look at the Inkling and a Ridley amiibo revealed at the end!

HYYYYYYYPED!!!!

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Estimates on how long Crashboards will be Crashboards? Will it start before, during, or after the direct?

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I’m excited, but trying to go in with lowish expectations because I don’t want this to be a repeat of the final Smash presentation where I went in super hyped and came out a n g e r y

My mindset right now is “none of the characters/games you want are going to be shown, so just let it go and watch it for the Smash/other Nintendo game coverage”. That way if I’m disappointed, it’ll be expected, and if I do see something incredible, I’ll go completely nuts over it.

Dee Dude

3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I’m excited, but trying to go in with lowish expectations because I don’t want this to be a repeat of the final Smash presentation where I went in super hyped and came out a n g e r y

My mindset right now is “none of the characters/games you want are going to be shown, so just let it go and watch it for the Smash/other Nintendo game coverage”. That way if I’m disappointed, it’ll be expected, and if I do see something incredible, I’ll go completely nuts over it.
My thoughts exactly, remember when you guys (I was lurker back then) expected the Sm4sh trailer to be like Brawl and show Ridley, K.Rool, Paulenta, Little Mac, and Mega Man right off the bat?

All they did was show off a recap of the veterans who are back and the only newcomer reveal was Villager, a character no one expected, (some wanted granted) and a Mega Man reveal at the end that some managed to get right.

Needless to say, I ain’t making the same mistake again by expecting all of my most wanted to get in at once, if some do then I’ll piss my pants out of joy.

Taco Cruise

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty much fully convinced Vergeben's leak is real (Ridley HYPE), what % chance do you give it of being real everyone? I'd say rough;y 95% given his current source's correct leaks (Jump Force, Castlevania games) and past leaks (TMNT in Injustice 2) which put him on my radar in the first place.

Also, if Ridley is really in Smash I don't even know who else I need... maybe King K. Rool and Wolf back, anyone else is just gravy on the filet mignon that is Smash Bros

Mogu

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
1728-6760-6013
Estimates on how long Crashboards will be Crashboards? Will it start before, during, or after the direct?

I'm guessing before. A bold guess but I'm thinking there will be something leak that 100% confirms Ridley as playable shortly before it starts and most will lose their minds. Crashboards will remain as Crashboards until about an hour or two after the direct.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
At least 12 hours because of the board updates. Therefore, the ones who are running this site aren't prepared for the Ridley hype train and will cause this site to crash for a good 12 hours

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Hmmm...

Smash 64
9 Cartoony: :4mario::4luigi::4dk::4yoshi::4kirby::4fox::4pikachu::4jigglypuff::4ness:
3 Anime/Realistic: :4link::4samus::4falcon:

Melee
8 Cartoony: :4peach::4bowser::4drmario::4falco::4mewtwo::pichumelee::popo::4gaw:
6 Anime/Realistic: :4zelda::4sheik::4ganondorf::younglinkmelee::4marth::4feroy:

Brawl
13 Cartoony: :4wario::4diddy::4tlink::4dedede::4metaknight::wolf::squirtle::ivysaur::4charizard::4lucario::4lucas::4olimar::4sonic:
5 Anime/Realistic: :4zss::4myfriends::4pit::4rob::snake:

SSB4
8 (or 10 if you count 3 Mii Fighters) Cartoony: :rosalina::4bowserjr::4greninja::4villager::4mii::4duckhunt::4megaman::4pacman:
11 Anime/Realistic: :4lucina::4robinm::4corrin::4palutena::4darkpit::4wiifit::4littlemac::4shulk::4ryu::4cloud::4bayonetta:

So because the anime/realistic characters barely outnumber cartoony characters in Smash for the first time, it's problematic? I think this "too many anime characters" complaint is just people being salty about Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus getting "too many characters".

osby

Smash Obsessed
At least 12 hours because of the board updates. Therefore, the ones who are running this site aren't prepared for the Ridley hype train and will cause this site to crash for a good 12 hours
Is Ridley even confirmed? I hope he is, I don't like him but I also don't like it when he's not playable.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Let us all just assume Ridley is in the game. What could go wrong with a little bit of groupthink?

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Hmmm...

Smash 64
9 Cartoony: :4mario::4luigi::4dk::4yoshi::4kirby::4fox::4pikachu::4jigglypuff::4ness:

Melee
8 Cartoony: :4peach::4bowser::4drmario::4falco::4mewtwo::pichumelee::popo::4gaw:

Brawl
13 Cartoony: :4wario::4diddy::4tlink::4dedede::4metaknight::wolf::squirtle::ivysaur::4charizard::4lucario::4lucas::4olimar::4sonic:

SSB4
8 (or 10 if you count 3 Mii Fighters) Cartoony: :rosalina::4bowserjr::4greninja::4villager::4mii::4duckhunt::4megaman::4pacman:
11 Anime/Realistic: :4lucina::4robinm::4corrin::4palutena::4darkpit::4wiifit::4littlemac::4shulk::4ryu::4cloud::4bayonetta:

So because the anime/realistic characters barely outnumber cartoony characters in Smash for the first time, it's problematic? I think this "too many anime characters" complaint is just people being salty about Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus getting "too many characters".
Nice analysis.

But, really... Don't anime and realistic styles contradict? Why Smash fandom uses them interchangably?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Nothing pleases me more than to scare the **** out of people with Ridley's scream at 3am
Stay Woke
Hmmm...

Smash 64

Melee

Brawl

SSB4

Not sure if anime and realistic would be a couple, but it’s still good and sexy

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Nice analysis.

But, really... Don't anime and realistic styles contradict? Why Smash fandom uses them interchangably?
Proportion wise they're similar. Unlike say Ness or Mario, who have similar proportions to each other, Anime and realistic overlap in their depiction of actual human proportions.

Not that any of that matters. Characters are characters to me. Couldn't give a **** whether they wield swords or have human proportions to be honest.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Nice analysis.

To me, the main difference between anime and realistic styles are the human faces. Their bodies may be realistically proportioned but their faces are different.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Hmmm...

You can think what you want, but I just don't generally like the anime style and prefer the cartoony origins of Smash Bros. What's interesting though, is that in your Sm4sh list- I like most of the cartoony characters and didn't like hardly any of the realistic characters. (But I'd put WFT under Cartoony, not anime/realistic)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Nice analysis.

It's all in body proportions and a western leaning bias.

Mario is a Japanese creation but he has the proportions (big head, round body) of what we'd call a cartoon.

Marth on the other hand, has a cartoony face but his head and limbs are closer to Solid Snake (who is meant to be realistic) than Mario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom