• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeox

Smash Champion
What will happen if Ridley finally becomes playable? what will be the next new ridley? K. Rool? and if he gets too?

DYED

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 8460 7625 6123
What will happen if Ridley finally becomes playable? what will be the next new ridley? K. Rool? and if he gets too?
Porky if he doesn't get in.
And I'm going to be one of the rioters. >:3c

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Smash needs an English-speaking Internet forum to promote itself.
I wasn’t just implying Smashboards would meltdown, but the Nintendo community as a whole. It would filter through to the wider gaming community, people take notice.

Last edited:

Ridleyridster

Smash Journeyman
It's cause I'm a tokusatsu fan and it's Kamen Rider leak speculation season lol
Kamen Rider! I know that because I think Ultra Man had a crossover movie of sorts with them, but maybe I'm remembering things wrong. Love Ultra Man but not as familiar with Kamen Rider.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
That's the problem. They really aren't.
They really wouldn't have the same kind of fighting style, and one represents the more common depiction of Toads throughout the franchise while the other represents a particular Toad with his own spin-off and gimmick.
In Smash I guarantee you that if they put Toad in he'd draw from CT and if they put CT in he'd draw from Toad. I'm confident that should CT get in he'll have a classic Toad alt. For Toad fans, they serve the same purpose. For people who aren't Toad fans, that's where things get divided in only liking one or the other.

They wouldn't have the same kind of fighting style but they'd be backed by an overwhelming majority of the same fans and that goes with my point, which was just that Toad as a whole is in the top 20 in this poll. He had three less votes than Impa and his other version had 79 votes. You don't think that three people from those 79 would also like Captain Toad?

Saying that Toad and Captain Toad's votes shouldn't overlap at all is like saying that fans who want Other M Ridley and fans who want some other kind of Ridley are supporting completely different characters.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Kamen Rider! I know that because I think Ultra Man had a crossover movie of sorts with them, but maybe I'm remembering things wrong. Love Ultra Man but not as familiar with Kamen Rider.
Yeah I remember that it was like ****, the 80's? Excited for R/B too? they're apparently getting a game so Ultraman Rosso and Ultraman Blu for Smash

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Saying that Toad and Captain Toad's votes shouldn't overlap at all is like saying that fans who want Other M Ridley and fans who want some other kind of Ridley are supporting completely different characters.
I mean, considering the Ridley in Metroid: Other M is a clone of the real deal,

the technically are...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
And they say there has been only 2 ridleys, but pretty sure the Ridley from Metroid Fusion was a Ridley clone made by the parasite X.
I'm far from a big Metroid fan (only played the NES game), but aren't there only two? The main one, and then Other M Ridley as its genetic clone that became Fusion Ridley after its corpse got infected. Or am I completely wrong?

Ridleyridster

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I remember that it was like ****, the 80's? Excited for R/B too? they're apparently getting a game so Ultraman Rosso and Ultraman Blu for Smash
Yeah I think it was the 80's. Incidentally, the 80's were also a great time for badass Godzilla movies.

And heck yeah Ultraman Rosso and Blu for smash!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
In terms of characters who had brawl hype, Krystal or Waluigi.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I'm far from a big Metroid fan (only played the NES game), but aren't there only two? The main one, and then Other M Ridley as its genetic clone that became Fusion Ridley after its corpse got infected. Or am I completely wrong?
The Ridley corpse in Fusion shatters and an X Parasite comes out, building up to the Ridley X boss. Either way Nintendo wants to believe Fusion never happened considering there's still no sequel

Ridleyridster

Smash Journeyman
I just wanted my 100th post on Smash boards to say something I find truly important. Something meaningful that can help us all think a little more deeply about ourselves and the world around us.

Ridley.

I want him in Smash.

I hope we see him on Tuesday.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
I mean, considering the Ridley in Metroid: Other M is a clone of the real deal,

the technically are...
Both are Ridley so if some other kind of Ridley got in then it's unlikely that fans would be mad or upset because regardless of the result, a Ridley got in.

I haven't played Metroid so I just used Other M as an example to be honest. I'm sure there's better examples but it still fits, different versions of the same character, etc.

Zeox

Smash Champion
but the fusion Ridley is not the corpse, is a parasite X that has become a copy of ridley after feeding from that corpse.
the parasite x became copies of other lifeforms, like SA-X (a parasite X that have became a replica of Samus).

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
but the fusion Ridley is not the corpse, is a parasite X that has become a copy of ridley after feeding from that corpse.
the parasite x became copies of other lifeforms, like SA-X (a parasite X that have became a replica of Samus).
No the corpse in the frozen area IS Ridley. It's the Other M clone after the Galactic ****wits took the corpse away

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
There won't be one, there's no character that matches up to the sheer popularity and importance of Ridley, Ridley's potential appearance has been a controversial and heated debate for so long that I don't even think K Rool matches up. It'll certainly be the end of an era.

HoldieBowldie

Smash Rookie
Although they failed to mention the argument on sakurai statement after ridleys reveal in smash 4
But they would mention it was 4 years ago and sakurai has had a change of heart before this happened with villager and PAC-Man
The problem I see with this argument is that when Sakurai talked about Villager and Pac-Man in Brawl, it was most likely him having trouble coming up with a moveset for them while retaining their character. Their appearances in Smash 4 both represent their characters well and are both much sillier than most characters, which would have contrasted with Brawl's darker tone. On the other hand, Sakurai isn't talking about how Ridley would fight against other character, because making a moveset for Ridley would be very easy. Instead, Sakurai argues that Ridley's size is part of Ridley's character, and making him small enough for Smash Bros. would take away a necessary part of Ridley's character. I'm not saying that Ridley has a 0% chance of getting in, but to me it isn't very likely, as well as the reason I don't believe in most of the leaks.

Zeox

Smash Champion
No the corpse in the frozen area IS Ridley. It's the Other M clone after the Galactic ****wits took the corpse away
But what I'm trying to say is:
This is neither original Ridley or Ridley's clone from Other M. This is a Parasite X that have feed from Ridley's corpse and have became this Ridley replica, as you can see in 0:44 he reveals his true form

Dendros

Smash Apprentice
Ridley Is not just a large dragon. People always say his defining characteristic is being huge. I have always thought of Ridley's defining characteristics as being relentless and extremely ferocious (almost feral). When I imagine him in smash I think somewhat of how a Xenomorph would fight (after all he is partially based on one). He could scurry along the ground in a creepy pose. making quick strikes with his claws and unexpectedly long ranged tail stabs. He would probably also have fireballs or something like that. He would be pretty fast and have many jumps and many of his attacks would be awkward to use up close. He doesnt even have to be big. I imagine his as equal size to samus (with slightly more girth due to his wings).

TL:DR
Ridley should be like a Xenomorph/Raptor/Insect/Dragon hybrid in smash and should be the same size as samus.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
In terms of characters who had brawl hype, Krystal or Waluigi.
I'd say King K. Rool, but honestly if he remains irrelevant in the DK series he might see what happened to Issac's popularity.

After that I agree with Moonlitillusion, nothing will meet their infamy for a long while. Definitely not Krystal, sorry but I barely see any support for her already...but Waluigi I could see in the sense of meme level, I mean he's basically already there.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Ridley Is not just a large dragon. People always say his defining characteristic is being huge. I have always thought of Ridley's defining characteristics as being relentless and extremely ferocious (almost feral). When I imagine him in smash I think somewhat of how a Xenomorph would fight (after all he is partially based on one). He could scurry along the ground in a creepy pose. making quick strikes with his claws and unexpectedly long ranged tail stabs. He would probably also have fireballs or something like that. He would be pretty fast and have many jumps and many of his attacks would be awkward to use up close. He doesnt even have to be big. I imagine his as equal size to samus (with slightly more girth due to his wings).

TL:DR
Ridley should be like a Xenomorph/Raptor/Insect/Dragon hybrid in smash and should be the same size as samus.
Especially compared to the size of other Metroid bosses. Ridley definitely doesn't feel like his defining trait is big, don't see why Sakurai seems so attached to that.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
The problem I see with this argument is that when Sakurai talked about Villager and Pac-Man in Brawl, it was most likely him having trouble coming up with a moveset for them while retaining their character. Their appearances in Smash 4 both represent their characters well and are both much sillier than most characters, which would have contrasted with Brawl's darker tone. On the other hand, Sakurai isn't talking about how Ridley would fight against other character, because making a moveset for Ridley would be very easy. Instead, Sakurai argues that Ridley's size is part of Ridley's character, and making him small enough for Smash Bros. would take away a necessary part of Ridley's character. I'm not saying that Ridley has a 0% chance of getting in, but to me it isn't very likely, as well as the reason I don't believe in most of the leaks.
Villager was too much of a pacifist was why he thought he would never work not moveset problems

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'd say King K. Rool, but honestly if he remains irrelevant in the DK series he might see what happened to Issac's popularity.

After that I agree with Moonlitillusion, nothing will meet their infamy for a long while. Definitely not Krystal, sorry but I barely see any support for her already...but Waluigi I could see in the sense of meme level, I mean he's basically already there.
Krystal does have the adventage of not having a vocal hate-base anymore (the 00's were a crazy time) but outside of vuage hope for a new StarFox, hasn't got much, like you said.

The other characters that were big in the Brawl era, Bowser Jr got in (albeit with a NSMB movset and not a brush one), Mega Man got in and Isaac... Poor Isaac.

I think I'm forgetting one. Who've I missed?

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
ohhh i pop in and out of these threads and just comment on the most recent topic lol my bad, reading sure is fundamental :laugh:

what did they do wrong about captain toad? his moveset about emptying is backpack and it changing his weight class and how Toad plays doesn't sound bad, it sounds pretty fun actually
That was my bad I haven't seen the captain toad one

And to give them a hand with that one for the loading backback part he could pack items from the battlefield as well and use them later

Last edited:

DYED

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 8460 7625 6123
Ridley Silverlake.
You can't do that well because you probably never have seen me, but picture me screaming because here I am.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Ridley from Other M, despite being a clone of the original, is still treated as Ridley, both in universe and in promotional material, so lumping both votes would be valid, since outside of physical appearances, they are treated as the same character in context, and have roughly the same abilities.

A better analogy would've been comparing Ridley and Meta/Omega Ridley, as those incarnations not only have a distinctive name to differentiate it from vanilla Ridley, but also pack different abilities. But even then, both are still treated as Ridley, just with a fancy prefix.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Krystal does have the adventage of not having a vocal hate-base anymore (the 00's were a crazy time) but outside of vuage hope for a new StarFox, hasn't got much, like you said.

The other characters that were big in the Brawl era, Bowser Jr got in (albeit with a NSMB movset and not a brush one), Mega Man got in and Isaac... Poor Isaac.

I think I'm forgetting one. Who've I missed?
Maybe someone like Toad?...but honestly part of what makes Ridley such a big deal is he's a mix of both highly requested characters like King K. Rool and also has infamy with the series regarding Sakurai denying them access like Villager or Pac-Man. No character has both at the moment, so until Sakurai starts talking about how King K. Rool or Bandana Dee will never get in, we won't see another Ridley.

(On that note if Sakurai speaks out and actually reveals he has a Kirby bias, I'm betting on Bandana Dee to be the next Ridley...or alongside Ridley depending how Tuesday goes :/ )

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
But what I'm trying to say is:
This is neither original Ridley or Ridley's clone from Other M. This is a Parasite X that have feed from Ridley's corpse and have became this Ridley replica, as you can see in 0:44 he reveals his true form
I always forget that ridley sounds like that in Fusion and it never fails to give me a ****ing heart attack, jesus christ who decided he should sound like that lmao

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Watch less than half of this list actually make it into the game.

Still, there's only a 20 vote gap between K. Rool and Waluigi.....that's surreal.....
As someone who's wanted Waluigi since Brawl, it's ironic to me that NOW people are really pushing for him at a point where I've pretty much given up all hope of him ever being promoted to a playable fighter.
It's quite surreal. Never thought Waluigi would be so popular...I mean sure we are through basically all A and B stars sides Ridley and Rool, but yeah. I see Waluigi consistently hit #1 or #2 on these polls. I think it's time. He has great moveset potential too. Please Sakurai...no AT.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom