• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

?????????????

Smash Master
I’m sorry I keep bringing it up, but it’s just bananas. The video I uploaded a few days ago about Smash for Switch is up to 25,000 views now. How high could it possibly get!?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
After Mega Man I feel like Samus is really disappointing in how they function in Smash.

Most changes I'd make aren't huge moveset changes as much as just changing how existing moves work, for example:

Pressing B for Neutral Special should be a regular shot, you can spam it a few times like Mega Man's have to shoot multiple times or you can hold it to charge it up and move with it.
Really? Because I really like how Mega Man plays in Smash. I just think a couple moves could be buffed. So unless his Side-B is changed to something else, I don't want to replace the Metal Blades with the Mega Buster, since that works as is on his A moves.

I wouldn't mind giving him an "Air-Smash" where he can Charge Shot while Jumping.

Again, I'd rather buff up his slower moves to be faster, as he has the damage already, and most of his projectiles have a use. Though I wouldn't mind if Crash Bomb got replaced with a brand new move if it doesn't get buffed a good bit.

kylexv

Smash Master
I’m sorry I keep bringing it up, but it’s just bananas. The video I uploaded a few days ago about Smash for Switch is up to 25,000 views now. How high could it possibly get!?
It's the sheer amount of hype surrounding the game that's attracting views. I know I stumbled upon your video and watched it while just browsing Youtube.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Oh I got the point, I just feel like Sakurai approached it the wrong way
Yea I don't see it as all as a micro game Moveset...it would be interesting if Sakurai wanted to follow through with that gimmick that he had a special (probably B) that would start a microgame for him that gave him bonuses similar to his stage. Like, don't move! Or grab an opponent! And then he'd get a damage boost or reduced knockback. But yea that would probably be wayyyyy to gimmicky and people would hate it lol

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Yea I don't see it as all as a micro game Moveset...it would be interesting if Sakurai wanted to follow through with that gimmick that he had a special (probably B) that would start a microgame for him that gave him bonuses similar to his stage. Like, don't move! Or grab an opponent! And then he'd get a damage boost or reduced knockback. But yea that would probably be wayyyyy to gimmicky and people would hate it lol
It's not that the moveset is microgame themed but rather Wario's zany and erratic moves kind of reflect that. Imma rewatch RelaxAlax's video on Wario nos lmao

Pakky

Smash Hero
Any leaks? Come on someone, be a bad boy!

Gasp, our land's gatekeeper! Question is how hard are they gonna blow the other companies out this year?

Will I have even more of a reason not to buy a Ps4

Lowkey Animal Crossing is something I really need on the Switch, its summer and I wanna fish and catch bugs.

I love catching bugs!

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Looks like the dude might just be enjoying a pint. How nice. He is just like us. Love the man, and he is just getting his body ready.

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
>Having more Fire Emblem characters than Pokemon
>Monita
>Tingle
>No Third Party Newcomer
>No Miis

Granted I would love this roster (outside Tingle and especially Monita), but this is definitely unconventional at best.

:kirby:
Ooh, I didn't expect responses, I kinda posted it here expecting/hoping this to be swallowed into the void, so thanks for that! I can address some of these for you if you like, though it's just my thrown together prediction so it likely doesn't hold much water anyways.

FE > Pokemon: Oops, this is blatantly not supposed to be the case, that's an oversight on my part and I think I accidentally included Lyn on the actual prediction. There is no excuse for this other than Sakurai.

Monita: She seems in line with characters like R.O.B., Game & Watch, and WFT, especially given the reception of the Wii U Nintendo may well treat it like a peripheral device. I'm not super attached to her or her game, but I think she is high up on the "hardware" line of newcomers. The only issue is she may not be that out there to be included, unlike the other three / four if you include Duck Hunt. We shall see.

Tingle: I always forget that people don't like Tingle lmao, but I will support him (though tbh he's been on a hard decline lately in the Zelda universe, maybe Beedle's a better choice)

3rd Party: Obviously we're going to get more third party characters, but after Snake's removal between Brawl and 4, I don't feel comfortable in taking any guesses at who we'll get as playable characters. Sonic, Mega Man, and PAC-MAN are the big ones and they're already in. I don't feel qualified to put any third parties on my roster with good conscience.

Miis: Looks like I forgot them but also Miis are sure in a weird spot right now. Wii and Wii U Miis were so important, they were center stage for both consoles and generally pushed so hard by Nintendo. Now on the Switch, I did have to look up how to make a Mii because iirc they're now listed as settings. It's feasible to have played Switch since its launch and not see a Mii. They are so much less pushed, less seen, and less used on the Switch. I do think we'll still see a Mii character, and since I took Lyn off above I would instead put the Mii back on. I'd prefer a general Mii character rather than the Mii Fighters personally, but since those movesets are already made I assume that would be what would come back.

I also didn't expect to get a response to my Dream roster, but I can address some that I saw I suppose. I have always thought Roy was a poor choice for a FE rep and his only relavance was getting in Smash. He represents the switch to mobile FE, sure, but his game sold less than half as many copies as FE7 and SS, and that's because the main importance of the GBA games was internationalization. 7 is the third best selling game after Fates and Awakening, and Lyn makes far more sense in that slot than Roy if Roy hadn't already been playable. As for Pokemon Ranger & Giovanni, they're very weird choices and I'm not attached to either of them personally but rather they represent the spectrum of humans in Pokemon. One end works with Pokemon as friends and partners to accomplish common goals, and the other exploits Pokemon as fundamentalist tools. I just happen to think that Giovanni and Ranger represent those concepts the strongest, and also work as fighters.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
King K. Rool is number one on SourceGaming's poll.
View attachment 147544
Very high number of third parties. We've got our top 5 first party and top 5 third parties:
for First parties it's: K rool, Waluigi, Bandana Dee, Rex/pyra, and Ridley
For third parties it's Shovel knight, Crash, Banjo/Kazooie, Rayman, and Shantae
Really surprised rayman isn't higher than crash but it's not a shock, wasn't expecting shovel knight in first either.
Rdiley is a popular character and I can't wait to see if he gets in this time.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
View attachment 147544
Hmm, interesting to see some polling data. What regions are the votes from, just wondering if it’s a good sample of a good number of regions?
... Also, they spelled Ridley wrong...
He spends 16 hours a day running a company
Of course, still curious, he’s probably played it at least a little bit, though.

Ridleyridster

Smash Journeyman
Very high number of third parties. We've got our top 5 first party and top 5 third parties:
for First parties it's: K rool, Waluigi, Bandana Dee, Rex/pyra, and Ridley
For third parties it's Shovel knight, Crash, Banjo/Kazooie, Rayman, and Shantae
Really surprised rayman isn't higher than crash but it's not a shock, wasn't expecting shovel knight in first either.
Rdiley is a popular character and I can't wait to see if he gets in this time.
Amazes me Ridley's still in the top 10 even after Sakurai basically basically saying he can't work as a fighter in Smash. Ridley's fans are a lot of things, but dang are we loyal (and stubborn).

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
Hungrybox is not invited, for the record. He said "**** Nintendo" in a stream recently. He's not happy about them not funding more Melee tournaments or something.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
He's not invited. He said "**** Nintendo" in a stream recently. He's not happy about them not funding more Melee tournaments or something.
I was talking about how much Reggie practiced, not Hungrybox (assuming you’re talking about Hungrybox, I haven’t paid much attention to him recently)

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Hungrybox is not invited, for the record. He said "**** Nintendo" in a stream recently. He's not happy about them not funding more Melee tournaments or something.
He was invited a couple days ago actually:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
View attachment 147544
Wasn't sure if I would expect these exact results. But for the most part, it is the usual suspects when talking about Smash fan polls. I am surprised that Bomberman isn't a little bit higher. And Ridley is still in top 10 despite Sakurai's comments on him(though I'm not surprised he's top 15).

I'm also interested in seeing a list with only 1st Party/2nd Party Nintendo characters. Maybe even one of just third party candidates.

Zippo

Smash Journeyman

They made up? Good to hear. I know he made some comments at some tourneys, but I guess they don't mind.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
View attachment 147544
This is going to be condescending but I can't take any "most wanted poll" that include Shantae RIGHT before Ridley seriously, and Shovel Knight Third especially after she """""won"""""" the reddit poll all the way back in the ballot showing the power of the Smash speculation resonance box

Last edited:

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice

I used to like H-Box, but he's been such a child over the last few years. He uses his status to go on rants against Nintendo for not giving him whatever he wants like he's entitled to it and then does this when they condescend to throwing him a bone.

osby

Smash Obsessed
This is going to be condescending but I can't take any "most wanted poll" that include Shantae RIGHT before Ridley seriously, and Shovel Knight Third especially after she """""won"""""" the reddit poll all the way back in the ballot.
Internet pools take info from a limited fanbase.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
This is going to be condescending but I can't take any "most wanted poll" that include Shantae RIGHT before Ridley seriously, and Shovel Knight Third especially after she """""won"""""" the reddit poll all the way back in the ballot showing the power of the Smash speculation resonance box
Thing though is that a lot of these fan polls are deceptive, because they get their votes from a minority of people. While on paper several hundred people sounds impressive, it's absolutely dwarfed by the millions of people that have bought and played the Smash titles that likely didn't vote.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Could you imagine Springman fighting Little Mac?

Fun fact Springman is not his name its a title given to him by his gym for being their rep for the ARMS tournament.

Max Brass could have been the previous Springman (if anime rules apply here)

Last edited:

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
View attachment 147544
this is just something small i noticed as a toad fan but they didn't combine votes for captain toad and toad, CT got 151 votes and IDK how many Toad got they didn't say but Impa got 154 and Takamaru got 161 and I'm willing to bet that Toad got more than 11 votes. Captain Toad should really be on here. to say he's not in the top 20 most requested is wrong

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think the fact I've never heard of this 'Rdiley' figure should say enough at how this poll shouldn't be trusted
I know this is ironic but I'm reminded of just how many people sees Ridley as "that Metroid dragon westerners want".

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
View attachment 147544
As yes, Rdiley, my favourite character from Nnitendo's Mterodi.

Honestly, these results kinda surprised me. In particular, I didn't expect Waluigi to place so high. I always he's popularity as mostly a result of memes, I guess his fandom is a little more sincere than I once thought.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I'd ditch Spazer, at least. I think you have too many stages in there, and it would either take too long to reach the Charge shot, or the section for each stage would go by too fast, making it hard to choose a certain beam.
I considered that, but it going by each stage fast would be alright by me. Of course, that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom