• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
UNPOPULAR (kinda) OPINIONS I WANT TO AIR OUT

-Mother is a dead franchise but if it's proper especially when its Nintendo owned or highly associated, villains from those franchises should be on the roster.

-Porky is more important to Mother as a series which is why I always put him over Masked Man

Even more unpopular opinion:
-Giygas is more important than Porky, it's just that one of the games he was in was ugly. He also had both of his games officially released in the west.

-Accordingly, while Porky would be a perfectly fine addition, Giygas is better since he also represents EB0, which currently has no one while 1 has Ness and 2 has Lucas. Ideally we'd get both, but between the two the Lovecraftian horror is better.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Unpopular opinions:

If you really want to go by the “representation” factor then DK and Metroid technically don’t need newcomers, DK and Diddy are the two main protagonists of their series who are still part of the Mario cast and Samus is pretty much the sole face of Metroid...aside from the literal Metroid.

Sakurai should step down eventually, not because it’ll guarantee my favorite character will get in (that’s horribly shallow) but because of the questionable decisions he makes in general, not just the roster.

I’m sick of “anime styled/realistic” characters and I’m hoping they’ll be dialed down for Smash Switch in favor of more cartoony characters.

I like expanding on existing franchises more than bringing new ones.

I wouldn’t care if Jigglypuff got booted.

Mewtwo was overrated during the Sm4sh speculation days, people acted as if he was never gonna come back.

I prefer the series taking a casual approach again (Brawl minus random tripping) instead of pandering to competitive players. (Melee)

You may release your flames but keep in mind, these thoughts do not reflect on what I actually what to happen to the series. (Except for some of Sakurai’s choices, he’s a great guy but man.)

Last edited:

marcuzoo

Smash Rookie
Does anyone else see Alolan Raichu as likely considering all the new poKemon merch and stuff, z move, anime or even pichu in melee so raichu smash 5

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Unpopular opinions:

If you really want to go by the “representation” factor then DK and Metroid technically don’t need newcomers, DK and Diddy are the two main protagonists of their series who are still part of the Mario cast and Samus is pretty much the sole face of Metroid...aside from the literal Metroid.

Sakurai should step down eventually, not because it’ll guarantee my favorite character will get in (that’s horribly shallow) but because of the questionable decisions he makes in general, not just the roster.

I’m sick of “anime styled/realistic” characters and I’m hoping they’ll be dialed down for Smash Switch in favor of more cartoony characters.

You may release your flames but keep in mind, these thoughts do not reflect on what I actually what to happen to the series. (Except for some of Sakurai’s choices, he’s a great guy but man.)
If you don't like anime styled and realistically styled characters, blame the industry. The former of those is a plague, even within anime itself.
Also, don't forget Smash 4 gave you Duck Hunt, which is almost literally a Loony Toons character in terms of stylizing. You also got Bowser Jr (and seperate models for every koopaling), a somehow-even-kookier version of Dedede, Pac Man, Villager, and cartoonier/cuter versions of Bowser, Yoshi and Game and Watch. It might be hard to appreciate given all the anime swordsmen, but it's definitely there.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
We doing unpopular opinions? Watch and learn.

I'd prefer Dixie, Cranky, and Funky before K. Rool.

I don't want any of the Gen VII starter Pokemon in Smash because starter Pokémon are extremely predictable and braindead easy to picture in Smash.

To heck with lore and history. Let's forget about Impa and Tingle and add one-off Zelda newcomers to Smash.

I think the number of reps a franchise has on the roster does matter, and I think FE was already pushing it's limits with four characters.

Captain Toad is cool, but standard Toad is better.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Does anyone else see Alolan Raichu as likely considering all the new poKemon merch and stuff, z move, anime or even pichu in melee so raichu smash 5
If they were gonna add an alolan variant pokemon I'd be pretty disappointed if they went with raichu over more different pokemon tbh. I'd love to see an alolan meowth or ninetales or something

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
If they were gonna add an alolan variant pokemon I'd be pretty disappointed if they went with raichu over more different pokemon tbh. I'd love to see an alolan meowth or ninetales or something
In Marcuzoo's defense, Alolan Raichu is way more different from its counterpart than either of those are. The dynamic it has with the tail surfing is very unique within Pokemon, while both of those are just slightly different flavors of the same thing.
Personally I like Alolan Sandslash, but that's just because I like Sandslash anyway...

Edit: Why wasn't there Alolan :092::093::094:? That would have been interesting...

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Oh to tip everybody for those who don't know

If you see The end? (With the question mark) at the end of the smash bros trailer that might mean king k rool is going to get confirmed playable (revealed by fake out)

1:30-1:55

Pakky

Smash Hero
Wow, Nintendo's stuff couldn't come fast enough, this E3 so far is awful.

If you see The end? (With the question mark) at the end of the smash bros trailer that might mean king k rool is going to get confirmed playable (revealed by fake out)

Wait who said this?

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
In Marcuzoo's defense, Alolan Raichu is way more different from its counterpart than either of those are. The dynamic it has with the tail surfing is very unique within Pokemon, while both of those are just slightly different flavors of the same thing.
Personally I like Alolan Sandslash, but that's just because I like Sandslash anyway...

Edit: Why wasn't there Alolan :092::093::094:? That would have been interesting...
Of course it could be unique as a character but it is still a raichu after all, visually it's very similar and it'd be another electric type

Pakky

Smash Hero
Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Either that or Porky.

I don't really watch E3 coverage if it's not related to Nintendo anyway.
Same. Not particularly interested enough to watch Sony or Microsoft's full presentation.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team

And if it's just a question mark without "the end", then it simply means the age rating will go up.
Screenshot_63.png

Because there will be blood, lots of blood.

Last edited:

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
What are places people would love to stages of for Smash 5? Not necessarily predictions but just where you’d really like to fight. I’d want to see the return of Fountain of Dreams, I’d love to see Morytha from XC2, Ultra Wormhole that acts like a new Poke Floats, and tbh an Ecco stage.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
We're throwing around unpopular opinions now, are we? OK, I'll play:
  • Kamek and Baby Mario are potential candidates that a lot of people are sleeping on.
  • I actively want Steve from Minecraft, not only because I like the game but also because he could bring something no one else can - terraforming.
    • I don't give a **** how well his artstyle meshes with the rest of the game. Sakurai will make it work.
  • I could honestly do without a Subspace Emissary-styled story mode.
  • Yall are getting another Fire Emblem character weather you like it or not, and I'm putting a 75% wager on Celica.
  • I honestly don't want Isaac or Andy (or any other potential Advance Wars character).
  • Anyone who wants F.L.U.D.D. gone from Mario's moveset is immediately added to my hitlist.
  • Smash Ganondorf is iconic enough to the point I want him in an actual The Legend of Zelda game.
  • I'm really not that into any of the Gen VII Pokemon aside from the Ultra Beasts.
  • Charizard was my least favorite of the Pokemon Trainer trio. Squirtle and Ivysaur were so much more fun.
  • Pichu should come back, if only for the laughs.
  • Toad > Captain Toad.
  • Daisy > Waluigi.
  • I want Paper Mario's moveset to be based on the Copy Block in Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam, since I think that could make him extremely unique in terms of playstyle.
  • Clones are and always have been 100% fine and I will never understand why people don't like them (Dark Pit is the exception since he's too similar to Pit).
  • I don't care about how many characters a series has. As long as each of them are fun and unique, I'd take 100 Fire Emblem characters.
  • I want the third party character count to increase a lot more with this installment.
    • I don't care now "Nintendo" the character is, just make them fun and I'm good.
  • I literally can't see Pauline being in Smash considering Super Mario Odyssey came a bit too late and before that all she had were her items from the original Donkey Kong and Mini-Marios. Not that good of a resume.
    • Yes, I think Daisy is infinitely more likely.
  • I think Spring Man is going to be an AT as opposed to a character released later down the line.
  • The only new Wario rep I want is Captain Syrup, because I don't like any of the WarioWare characters. At all.
  • I don't care if The Legend of Zelda or Metroid get more reps or not.
  • I see no issues with giving Isabelle a moveset where he fights via clumsiness.
  • I welcomed Cloud and Bayonetta to the roster with open arms.
  • Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS has the best Classic Mode, and I hope that's the basis for all future Classic Modes.
  • Smash Tour was alright. Not great, but alright.
  • I'd rather Smash 5 focus on existing Nintendo franchises rather than representing new ones.
  • Being fun to play as and having a unique moveset should outprioritize everything else when selecting characters. The moveset I feel is more important than the character itself.
  • I knew Inklings were going to be in this game but honestly I couldn't care less about their inclusion.
  • I'm well aware that there is a point where we will have too many characters, but as far as I'm concerned we're not close to that point yet.
    • I'm not able to give an exact number of what I think would be deemed as "too much" in my eyes, but I think it'd have to be at the very least triple digits.
  • Rabbids > Rayman.
    • Rabbid Mario is currently my most-wanted character.
  • I don't know why people think King K. Rool's lack of recent appearances make him unlikely when Sakurai has not once, but twice considered that wooden puppet who's done nothing since his debut for nearly two decades other than make a cameo in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga.
  • There is literally zero reason to change Bowser Jr.
  • Stage Builder can be removed for all I care.

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
no and i also don't want unpopular opinions and all the arguments that they'll spawn clogging up the thread. there's a reason why that **** has its own thread.
Well you only need to deal with this kind of stuff for two more days.

Hang in there buddy. Salvation will come soon enough...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
no and i also don't want unpopular opinions and all the arguments that they'll spawn clogging up the thread. there's a reason why that **** has its own thread.
It's on-topic because it relates to Smash. Though the Pokemon lists aren't really on-topic in comparison.

The only purpose of the Unpopular Opinions thread is so you can't be criticized. Posting them here means you left yourself open for differing opinions.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
What are places people would love to stages of for Smash 5? Not necessarily predictions but just where you’d really like to fight. I’d want to see the return of Fountain of Dreams, I’d love to see Morytha from XC2, Ultra Wormhole that acts like a new Poke Floats, and tbh an Ecco stage.
I wonder how Fountain of Dreams would look with high quality water reflections, as opposed to the pixelated ones in Melee... it could look great, potentially.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
I'd love it if all past stages came back, specially 3DS ones.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
WAIT WAIT WAIT A MINUTE WASNT VERGEBEN THE ONE SAYING THAT THERE WOULD BE A JUMP FIGHTING GAME? BECAUSE THAT **** JUST GOT ANNOUNCED AT MICROSOFT E3
OR AM I GOING CRAZY?

EnthusedPanda

Smash Journeyman
Off topic from the Unpopular Opinions discussion, here’s something I’ve wanted in Smash for a while: the option to swap to older character models from previous games. It would require some hitbox tweaking, and it isn’t high up on my list of essential additions, but it’s far from impossible and would be a lot of fun.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Only today and tomorrow left guys!

Tbh I think we should sorta be grateful that we didn’t really get hardcore Smash 5 leaks this time around, (I don’t trust Vergeben, but I hope my boy Snake is back).

Nintendo really learned their lesson after what has been the mess of Smash 4 leaks.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
WAIT WAIT WAIT A MINUTE WASNT VERGEBEN THE ONE SAYING THAT THERE WOULD BE A JUMP FIGHTING GAME? BECAUSE THAT **** JUST GOT ANNOUNCED AT MICROSOFT E3
OR AM I GOING CRAZY?
Would "Jump Force" qualify as that J-stars thing one of Vergeben's sources was talking about?
I haven't heard of this? Please link?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I haven't heard of this? Please link?
Oh- An update from the picture compilation Anon, I guess I'll continue to relay it-
Click because Smash Board is an *** with picture right now
The update?
>Separate Vergeben/Riddler leak more so people don't confuse them.
>Put colored square around each subject
>Add the deconfirmation from Celica's VA.
>More rumor from Vergeben's Source who say they saw Ridley assest and that the show floor is mostly SmashBros.
>More rumor for other games, Star Fox Grand Prix, Just Cause 4, Two Dragon ball game, a Jump Fighting game, Viewtiful Joe3- (Keep in mind, they shouldn't all be revealed at E3)
Right here Man.
Just Cause 4 got announced
And now a Jump Fighting Game.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I'd like to see Fountains of Dreams too, as well as the Leftherian Archipelago from XC2.

Bonus point if they add in these two song (both day and night version depending on when the stage changes from dawn to dusk).

SPOILER]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom