• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Wasn't Dixie in all of those games? So how was he "more relevant"?
Before Tropical Freeze he had more relevant appearances - all 3 of the DKC games plus DK64.

Thats kind of a second point though, which I should have separated from the other games I mentioned. These were just saying that he's definitely appeared plenty of times since the N64.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Update on the "Flip Morse" rumor situation:

The Reddit account was the real them, I am 100% certain of it now. For their own personal privacy I won't give out why I know this, but I just figured I'd just let you all know.

This obviously doesn't totally confirm that Smash Switch is a new game, considering that there's always the possibility of miscommunication/etc; as I stated previously.

(Also, since I obviously can't prove this to anyone here without invading their privacy, you should probably take this post with a grain of salt as well. I'm not lying, but I couldn't in good conscience tell people to blindly believe me on something like this without providing proof. This is the last post I'll make on the subject. :dizzy:)
Thanks for the update and appreciate you not wanting to go into personal specifics of the person. Does seem kinda nuts that a "my Dad works at Nintendo" leak may actually be real though.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Before Tropical Freeze he had more relevant appearances - all 3 of the DKC games plus DK64.

Thats kind of a second point though, which I should have separated from the other games I mentioned. These were just saying that he's definitely appeared plenty of times since the N64.
I'd ideally like to have both Dixie and K. Rool in. They're both pretty important to the series, and while I do think K. Rool is slightly more important (since he's the main antagonist overall, even if it's been a while) than Dixie, they've appeared more recently and would likely be the one to get in if only one of them were going to.

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Donkey Kong should have like 5 reps anyway it seems stupid to me that it doesn't already. If you want to separate DK from Mario, more reps will help that, not fewer.

DK
Diddy
Dixie
Cranky
K.Rool

Legit, that seems fair for such an iconic series. You show any of those characters bar probably K.Rool and I guarantee that people will know who they are.

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
Hey just made an account cause I've been lurking around this thread and wanted to say something about the leak. I'm fairly sure there's no way the guy's dad's job could be in trouble because I'm fairly sure Nintendo didn't anticipate people thinking the new smash could be a port. If Nintendo thinks everyone understood right away that this is a new game then this isn't really a leak at all. This is just someones dad at Nintendo telling us something Nintendo thinks they already got across to us. Hope that explanation makes sense and hope nobody here ends up thinking we ruined someones living because we were impatient about a video game!

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Actually, on the topic of Donkey Kong I'm just gonna throw a ridiculous idea out there:

What if Pauline with a moveset inspired/based on the OG Donkey Kong and Mario vs. DK series?

I have no idea how it'd work at all, but the idea just sort of popped into my head. Not likely or anything, but the concept interests me enough.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
One retro surprise character I wondered for a bit if could intriguing to see:
Anyone remember this gem? :p
Game Boy's retro candidates in general are really slept on haha, though there's really not many to choose from... like only Muddy Mole and Prince of Sable? I'm probably forgetting someone. And I guess it depends on how retro is interpreted.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Actually, on the topic of Donkey Kong I'm just gonna throw a ridiculous idea out there:

What if Pauline with a moveset inspired/based on the OG Donkey Kong and Mario vs. DK series?

I have no idea how it'd work at all, but the idea just sort of popped into my head. Not likely or anything, but the concept interests me enough.
I saw someone the other day say that it would be sort of a cluster**** moveset and would just seem really sloppy overall.

It would have to be one or the other: Mario v DK or Classic and Odyssey.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I'd ideally like to have both Dixie and K. Rool in. They're both pretty important to the series, and while I do think K. Rool is slightly more important (since he's the main antagonist overall, even if it's been a while) than Dixie, they've appeared more recently and would likely be the one to get in if only one of them were going to.
I agree, both would be best, and even just Dixie wouldn't be a bad thing - we're here because we love DK, at the end of the day.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
What do people think is the likelihood of there being some sort of single player (can be played co-op) campaign mode, similar to Subspace Emissary being in this Smash? Having a strong adventure mode was pretty much the best thing that Brawl brought to the series. It allowed us to see some cool, sometimes goofy, interactions between characters as they team up against some anime-level bad guy trying to destroy the world.

I know Sakurai was saying that the internet ruined it for him as everyone uploaded all the cutscenes, but they have managed to keep this game under very tight wraps (something Nintendo seems to be pretty good at with the Switch) so I think there may be a possibility. If there was one, what would you like to see?

Personally, I think the relationship between Pikachu and Samus was pretty awesome and I'd love for that to be shown or fleshed out some more. Would be funny to pair up characters that you would not expect to get along, like Wii Fit Trainer and Wario or something.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I saw someone the other day say that it would be sort of a cluster**** moveset and would just seem really sloppy overall.

It would have to be one or the other: Mario v DK or Classic and Odyssey.
Though I can definitely see Classic DK influences in both movesets.
She can take the Mini Marios from her purse, Hammers, Springs and Grinders play a big part in MvsDK as well.

It's Odyssey influences like Cappy and New Donk that makes it cluttery

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
We will obviously see some 3DS stages ported onto the game. Ya´ll got some favorites you want to see?
Honestly, almost all of them. I really think the Wii U version's stagelist was seriously underwhelming compared to the 3DS one.

Magicant, Paper Mario, Pac-Maze, Find Mii, Gerudo Valley, Spirit Train, Tomodachi life are all really fun stages. Along with the returning stages being more favorable IMO.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Really hope Pac-Maze replaces pac-land or atleast both of them reappear.

Honestly, almost all of them. I really think the Wii U version's stagelist was seriously underwhelming compared to the 3DS one.
I have to agree. The 3DS had more interesting and original stages especially from Zelda and Pokémon. Also, both F-zero and mother got new stages on the 3ds version unlike with the wiiu version.

ps... anyone else surprised we didn't get New Pork City for 8 player smash?

Last edited:

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
ps... anyone else surprised we didn't get New Pork City for 8 player smash?
I was just talking about this the other day with someone. I was very surprised when they added Lucas as DLC to Smash 4 and not New Pork City.

That stage is basically begging to be made into an 8 player Smash stage. It's sure as heck way too big for 4 players, if you ask me.

Also, the music is just so good. Why didn't they at least add the song...?

Last edited:

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
We will obviously see some 3DS stages ported onto the game. Ya´ll got some favorites you want to see?
Would love to see the return of the Spirit Tracks stage. It wasn't that great a stage but there's something very funny to me about a stage from one of the least remembered Zelda games from two console generations ago making its way onto the switch.

Speaking of which I can think of no greater pleasure than to see an alt costume for Toon Link where he's in his train conductor outfit. Love those trains.

Stratos

Smash Ace
What do people think is the likelihood of there being some sort of single player (can be played co-op) campaign mode, similar to Subspace Emissary being in this Smash? Having a strong adventure mode was pretty much the best thing that Brawl brought to the series. It allowed us to see some cool, sometimes goofy, interactions between characters as they team up against some anime-level bad guy trying to destroy the world.

I know Sakurai was saying that the internet ruined it for him as everyone uploaded all the cutscenes, but they have managed to keep this game under very tight wraps (something Nintendo seems to be pretty good at with the Switch) so I think there may be a possibility. If there was one, what would you like to see?

Personally, I think the relationship between Pikachu and Samus was pretty awesome and I'd love for that to be shown or fleshed out some more. Would be funny to pair up characters that you would not expect to get along, like Wii Fit Trainer and Wario or something.
I like see the hero characters battle the Master Hand and Crazy Hand and the main villians from the videogames of Nintendo sure. I want see the Waluigi as newcomer and Wario return and Mario Brothes fight them as well. If appeared the Daitoryo in here will was the ancient character maybe, but I'm not sure I want that.

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Would love to see the return of the Spirit Tracks stage. It wasn't that great a stage but there's something very funny to me about a stage from one of the least remembered Zelda games from two console generations ago making its way onto the switch.

Speaking of which I can think of no greater pleasure than to see an alt costume for Toon Link where he's in his train conductor outfit. Love those trains.
Don't forget that it brought about the Alfonso, "Leave it to me!" meme. Classic.

On the topic of alt costumes there are so many that could be good choices to include.

Mario and Link have so many outfits in Odyssey and Breath of the Wild. You can have the skeleton outfit for Mario. Or even the Hawaiian shirt or football outfit. And Link can have the Zora uniform or the female Gerudo outfit, maybe even trunks like Shulk had.

The Fire Emblem cast has different class variations and different looks throughout the years. Classic Marth being a choice, the one from the Famicom game. Ike could get back his Path of Radiance look or even get his Awakening appearance.

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
I was just talking about this the other day with someone. I was very surprised when they added Lucas as DLC to Smash 4 and not New Pork City.

That stage is basically begging to be made into an 8 player Smash stage. It's sure as heck way too big for 4 players, if you ask me.

Also, the music is just so good. Why didn't they at least add the song...?

Probably the reason it wasn't added was because they'd have to get it to work on both the 3DS and Wii U, which I wouldn't be surprised if it couldn't work on the 3DS. While the Pirate Ship stage was exclusive on Wii U, they at least gave the Duck Hunt stage for free on 3DS. There probably wouldn't have been enough time to find a good replacement if New Pork City was added.

With that said, I do hope New Pork City gets added for the reason you said. 8-player smash and another cool stage from the Mother series :p

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
On the topic of alt costumes there are so many that could be good choices to include.

Mario and Link have so many outfits in Odyssey and Breath of the Wild. You can have the skeleton outfit for Mario. Or even the Hawaiian shirt or football outfit. And Link can have the Zora uniform or the female Gerudo outfit, maybe even trunks like Shulk had.

The Fire Emblem cast has different class variations and different looks throughout the years. Classic Marth being a choice, the one from the Famicom game. Ike could get back his Path of Radiance look or even get his Awakening appearance.
It'd be cool to include a whole bunch of different alts for characters, even if they were just based on past Smash appearances.

Danpal65

Smash Lord

One alternate costume that they really need to do this time round is make sure each Pokémon has their shiny form as an alternate skin. It is such a free option, why has it not been done yet?

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
1. On top of potential new game modes that they could add. Like they've done for the Mario Kart 8 port.
2. On what possible grounds are you basing this off of? The MK8 port and the Pokken port BOTH had new characters and new stages at launch!
3. To the ones that haven't already bought a Switch you mean. Let's not forget to mention that most of us were expecting a port to begin with.

There is literally no reason to care about this topic. Either way, you're going to get more content. If it's a port and you've only played one of the 2 smash4 games, then there's potential for most of that content, if not all, from both games to go into this one. On top of the free added content. And the free DLC characters. And the potential of Smash Run being used to its fullest potential.
If it's a new game, then you get the new content, on top of new features, on top of the potential of a new set of DLC characters (I mean, if that's a thing that excites you), with some more game modes and whatever new surprises Nintendo has in store for this. It's a win-win no matter what.
I thik you misunderstand: with no major changes to the engine I mean no major gameplay changes. A port is, by definition, way more similar gameplay wise.

If it is a port, that does not mean that the Inklings were DLC- it could be added content in the base game, which is common in the Wii U ports to Switch.

And its not a monetary stab in the back for Wii U owners. I think thats a selfish way to look at it.
Then again, if you cannot get even 1 % excited about a port of Smash bros to Switch, and I do mean this more kindly then it sounds, but I honestly don't know what youre doing on Smash boards.
That's just a fancy way of saying DLC imo.

There are a lot of ports of Wii U titles with added content exclusive to the Switch. To say Wii U owners got the short end of the stick is an understatement.

There is way more to Smash than the recent developments. Smash Bros. is my favorite franchise: nothing builds hype like the endless possibilities of a new Smash game. A port, however, doesn't, as the most exciting possibilities aren't possible or highly unlikely. I don't want to play Smash for Wii U on Switch, lol. That's the only game that still semi-justifies my Wii U purchase. In other words:

Same here. Being a huge fan of the series I bought Smash 4 on 3DS, Wii U, all of the DLC , and the GameCube adapter. If it's just a port then they WAY over did the trailer, I wasted over $200, and they a punishing their most loyal fans. If it is a port, it's back to the CRT for me.
^My thoughts exactly.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

One alternate costume that they really need to do this time round is make sure each Pokémon has their shiny form as an alternate skin. It is such a free option, why has it not been done yet?
Everyone but Lucario because good ****ing god is Lucario's shiny palette the definition of awful

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I really want to see Arena Ferox make a return. It’s one of the few truly distinct, recognizable locations in the FE series, and it was a good stage to boot, with nothing to outrageous in terms of stage gimmicks or hazards.

Tortimer’s Island is also a favorite of mine for similar reasons.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Everyone but Lucario because good ****ing god is Lucario's shiny palette the definition of awful
Sweet lord I had forgotten what his shiny looked like. I feel sick :urg:

Now I'm not too sure what the rules are on Smashboards for external links (so I am happy to remove this) but a guy took the music playing in the reveal trailer and turned it into a theme for Smash. It sounds really awesome and gets me pretty hyped even though it is not anything official: https://soundcloud.com/silentdrummer112/smash-5-theme-v2

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Aside from 3DS stages, I'd really like to see Fourside return from Melee. The stage was a lot of fun to play on, and I feel like the city would look great recreated in HD.

Actually, I'd like to see EVERY EarthBound stage return. It'll probably never happen, but hey, if the franchise is never going to get another character, the least Sakurai can do is shower the series with awesome stages. :p

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I can see Balloon Fight being our retro this time. Just in memory of Iwata.
I wouldn’t be mad at all tbh. Balloon Fighter is arleady pretty iconic, and it would be a nice nod to Iwata’s first work. The only problem is Villager’s up-b, but that could be changed pretty easily.

D

Deleted member

Wouldn't a gen 8 mon get in tho due to Gen 8 "possibly" releasing around the same time? I mean I want him into tho but based on how we got Greninja over Zoroark it just makes more sense.
I based my vote off want, not likeliness.
And I don't think Gen 8 is coming until early 2019 personally.

:079:
-------
Takamaru is the only retro choice and you know it

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
So, it seems to me that the most persistent debate is whether this is an enhanced port or an entirely new game. I have a theory that maybe it’s a little of both. I think overall, if this theory is true, it would ultimately be unpopular with fans. Suppose Nintendo went with a Street Fighter V/Killer Instinct/Dissidia model where content is slowly released via updates during the lifespan of the game.

So at launch, the game would have reduced content as opposed to it being packed with content as per usual. Upon releasing, it would in theory be a Wii U port but will then transition into its own game with continuous updates that would extend past 2018 and maybe even into 2022.

Perhaps the starting roster would be the characters we saw in the teaser including Zelda, Peach, Bowser, Shiek, and the original 12 with Inklings as the sole newcomer. Then, both veterans and newcomers would be unveiled and then a soft trial release period followed by a global release.

That way, content like Pokemon Switch or Gen 8 or Metroid Prime 4 has a chance of appearing post launch. Obviously, content isn’t dedicated solely to characters but a wide range of game content.

I think it wouldn’t go well with the community but I think it’s a possibility.

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace
I want see the Queen Azarel and Chief Zog from Warlocked.

This game is Warlocked:

They are two characters in menu is the Queen Azarel and the Chief Zog.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
So, it seems to me that the most persistent debate is whether this is an enhanced port or an entirely new game. I have a theory that maybe it’s a little of both. I think overall, if this theory is true, it would ultimately be unpopular with fans. Suppose Nintendo went with a Street Fighter V/Killer Instinct/Dissidia model where content is slowly released via updates during the lifespan of the game.

So at launch, the game would have reduced content as opposed to it being packed with content as per usual. Upon releasing, it would in theory be a Wii U port but will then transition into its own game with continuous updates that would extend past 2018 and maybe even into 2022.

Perhaps the starting roster would be the characters we saw in the teaser including Zelda, Peach, Bowser, Shiek, and the original 12 with Inklings as the sole newcomer. Then, both veterans and newcomers would be unveiled and then a soft trial release period followed by a global release.

That way, content like Pokemon Switch or Gen 8 or Metroid Prime 4 has a chance of appearing post launch. Obviously, content isn’t dedicated solely to characters but a wide range of game content.

I personally think this type would be met with scorn in the community, especially since a majority of veterans would be absent.

That said, if this model is implemented, I could see a “Definitive Edition” coming out a la Killer Instinct to ensure everyone gets to enjoy the game.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

I really hope this isn't the case.

This tactic might work well with Splatoon games, but I don't want to see the same thing happen in Smash, where the base game starts out skimpy and finally starts fleshing out several weeks/months later. By then, a lot of my initial hype has worn off, and I probably wouldn't even be bothered to update the game on the same day as new content is released unless it was something really special, like a newcomer or brand new mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom