• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

How would you all feel if...
We get a Smash Bros. for Switch Trailer this E3, which reveals that it's a simple port coming out within three months. It's got all the 3DS stages and Wii U stages in one version, with two new characters, one is your most wanted possible character and the other your least wanted possible character, all this topped off with balance changes on release... Except there's a catch, the balance changes were all determined purely by For Glory data, and it turns out that because of this characters like Dedede, Zelda, Jigglypuff and Ganondorf get nerfed, while characters like Cloud, Diddy Kong and Bayonetta get buffs. Also, about the two new characters, the one you wanted the most ends up being the last character on the tier list, and the one you wanted the least is at the very top.

You'll get who you want the most, but would you really be able to enjoy this outcome?
So if this hypothetical scenario happens, I'd get Zael, but that means Bubsy the Bobcat would be top tier.

What could possibly go wrong? /s

D

Deleted member

I've just been thinking...

Jungle Hijinxs's foreground-background gimmick would make a neat feature for a new Adventure mode.
Just imagine it.

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
We get a Smash Bros. for Switch Trailer this E3, which reveals that it's a simple port coming out within three months. It's got all the 3DS stages and Wii U stages in one version, with two new characters, one is your most wanted possible character and the other your least wanted possible character, all this topped off with balance changes on release... Except there's a catch, the balance changes were all determined purely by For Glory data, and it turns out that because of this characters like Dedede, Zelda, Jigglypuff and Ganondorf get nerfed, while characters like Cloud, Diddy Kong and Bayonetta get buffs. Also, about the two new characters, the one you wanted the most ends up being the last character on the tier list, and the one you wanted the least is at the very top.

You'll get who you want the most, but would you really be able to enjoy this outcome?
I mean, considering I decided to main Jigglypuff before actually picking up the game day one and Bayonetta was pretty much the only character having the possibility of showing up that I didn't want (No offense, Bayo fans! As I've said before, I'm still fully capable of being glad of her addition for all of you!)... This would just be normal everyday Smash life for me, and I'd still buy it.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

I'd take literal bottom tier Chrom over Final Smash Chrom. :p And hey, if buffs go by For Glory usage, Little Mac may get his pre-patch Jolt Haymaker back.

Top tier Daisy would just be an unfortunate circumstance.

D

Deleted member

Let me get this straight.

-A character I actively do not want in Smash and hate outside Smash context not only gets in, but is the best character in the game.
-A character I hate within Smash context is buffed to be even better, making fighting against him even more salt-inducing.
-My mains are most likely nerfed, making playing as them less fun.
-A character that I've actually wanted and whose reveal would be the most hype I've felt since Mewtwo was announced to be DLC gets in, but is the absolute worst character in the game.

.....I think this is one of those rare situations where I would just outright drop the series outside of a few get-togethers with friends.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303

Tough one. So, I'd main the worst possible incarnation of Wolf, going up against any top-tier character out of a wide assortment of possible 3rd Party and Fire Emblem newcomers. Yeah, I think I'd just abandon Smash at that point. Not worth it.

Let's see... I would finally get K. Rool playable, but there would be yet another Fire Emblem character... I don't care about competitive scene and tier lists, so they don't matter to me.

...nah, buying the same game third time for one character isn't worth it.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

My most wanted character is Snake. I have said multiple times that if Snake is added back in I would buy it immediately. So, hell yes I'd buy that immediately. I don't care if Snake is the lowest it's ****ing Snake, y'know?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So... SSB4 made people oppose future Fire Emblem newcomers because we had 3 veterans and 3 newcomers. Corrin really should have been saved for SSB5, I guess... but then again, by the time SSB5 is announced Corrin would be old news and people would bandwagon around the newest protagonists.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Alm can be a Marth alt. And I'd take a new Fire Emblem newcomer if it's Hector. I don't care if they gonna add new Fire Emblem characters, as long as the balance is not overly distrubed and all the attention goes towards Fire Emblem like what happened in current Smash. Mario also got a fair deal of attention, like always, and so did Pokemon, but Fire Emblem really took attention away from even bigger series, like Zelda and Donkey Kong. Third party overload and the absolute NEED to add new franchises -even if the idea is just random, with lukewarm reception as Wii Fit Trainer- also had a LOT to do with this.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Corrin really should have been saved for SSB5.
This right here is what should of happened with Corrin. If they had been saved for Smash 5 instead of being shoved into Smash 4 as last minute DLC, then I would be alright with Corrin being in Smash. I can only somewhat understand with the reason why it was done; if they hadn't been added at that moment in time, they'd be old news and another Anime Emblem character would have to be considered.

But uh... Female Corrin is still popular to this day and will probably stay as a very popular character, so I really doubt it would of mattered if they added them later.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
After Brawl gave us four Pokemon newcomers and then SSB4 gave us only one newcomer... I can see SSB5 giving us only one Fire Emblem newcomer after we got three newcomers in SSB4.

I just hope we still can get a Mario newcomer in SSB5 (please give me Toad) after getting two in SSB4. We had three newcomers in Melee and then nothing in Brawl.

I also hope we can get two Pokemon newcomers in SSB5 (I choose you Decidueye and Meowth).

I also want two Donkey Kong newcomers, Dixie Kong and King K. Rool, and two Zelda newcomers, Impa and Toon Zelda.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Two DKC newcomers is a pipe dream of mine. It should and could've easily happened during the last Smash's development. Yet somehow they overlooked Dixie's new appearance in Tropical Freeze, and ignored the massive outcry for the return of King K.Rool, which they answered only with a costume.

Dixie's miss of the boat might be explained that there are no semi-clones outside of the DLC veterans, Roy and Lucas. I was really hoping for Wolf to come back as to strenghten the list of semi-clones in Smash, as I always enjoyed them far more than straight up clones (outside of Melee Ganondorf, that dude was fun as **** to play as- then again, he's as semi-clone as a Melee character not named Luigi can get).

I really do wonder though how much less development time a semi-clone or even a straight up clone would take compared to a character with a unique moveset. Sure balance testing will take about as much time, as well as extra comparision to the character they take base from (look at Melee, outside of Pichu and Roy because of bad design, all characters who are clones and the original are not far removed in the Tier List, aka overal viability- weird that Mario and Dr.Mario in Smash 4 are soooo far apart, considering).

I really wouldn't mind more clones, cause outside of a token few MUST-HAVES there aren't really all that much characters worthy of addition. This is also why Sakurai went and added so many weird choices and third party characters in the last Smash I believe... Yet, this came at a cost of neglecting far too many veteran Nintendo / Smash franchises.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Two DKC newcomers is a pipe dream of mine. It should and could've easily happened during the last Smash's development. Yet somehow they overlooked Dixie's new appearance in Tropical Freeze, and ignored the massive outcry for the return of King K.Rool, which they answered only with a costume.

Dixie's miss of the boat might be explained that there are no semi-clones outside of the DLC veterans, Roy and Lucas. I was really hoping for Wolf to come back as to strenghten the list of semi-clones in Smash, as I always enjoyed them far more than straight up clones (outside of Melee Ganondorf, that dude was fun as **** to play as- then again, he's as semi-clone as a Melee character not named Luigi can get).

I really do wonder though how much less development time a semi-clone or even a straight up clone would take compared to a character with a unique moveset. Sure balance testing will take about as much time, as well as extra comparision to the character they take base from (look at Melee, outside of Pichu and Roy because of bad design, all characters who are clones and the original are not far removed in the Tier List, aka overal viability- weird that Mario and Dr.Mario in Smash 4 are soooo far apart, considering).

I really wouldn't mind more clones, cause outside of a token few MUST-HAVES there aren't really all that much characters worthy of addition. This is also why Sakurai went and added so many weird choices and third party characters in the last Smash I believe... Yet, this came at a cost of neglecting far too many veteran Nintendo / Smash franchises.
Tropical Freeze came out way too late for pre-DLC Smash consideration. The roster was decided in 2012, and Sakurai said that if it came out even a month or two later, Fire Emblem Awakening wouldn't have even gotten a character. Tropical Freeze came out two years after that. Basically, Dixie was in the right place, but at the wrong time. Returns was the main thing DKC had when the roster was being decided, hence only having DK and Diddy.

If Tropical Freeze came out before the roster was decided, or if Dixie was in Returns, or if Tropical Freeze came out closer to when DLC was being released, I have no doubt in my mind that Dixie would be in.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Diddy Kong Diddy Kong It does look like Sakurai neglected many veteran Nintendo franchises in SSB4. I want to remind people that a common complaint about Brawl was that Sakurai neglected many new Nintendo franchises in favor of adding many newcomers to veteran Nintendo franchises. When you look at the whole picture of SSB4, It looks more or less balanced compared to Brawl.

Brawl veteran Nintendo franchises (12 newcomers, 8 franchises)
:diddy::toonlink::zerosuitsamus::metaknight::dedede::wolf::ivysaur::charizard::squirtle::lucario::lucas::ike:

Brawl newcomer Nintendo franchises (4 newcomers, 4 franchises)
:pit::wario::olimar::rob:

Brawl newcomer third-party franchises (2 newcomers, 2 franchises)
:snake::sonic:

SSB4 veteran Nintendo franchises (8 newcomers, 4 franchises)
:rosalina::4bowserjr::4greninja::4lucina::4robinm::4corrin::4palutena::4darkpit:

SSB4 newcomer Nintendo franchises (8 newcomers, 6 franchises)
:4villager::4wiifit::4littlemac::4miibrawl::4miisword::4miigun::4shulk::4duckhunt:

SSB4 newcomer third-party franchises (5 newcomers, 5 franchises)
:4megaman::4pacman::4ryu::4cloud::4bayonetta:

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Arcadenik Arcadenik : the main difference (for me, at least) is how the additions to returning franchises were spread out much better in Brawl.

In Brawl, we got Donkey Kong and Kirby (two franchises with a lot of potential for new characters), Pokemon and Fire Emblem (series where the characters change each installment), Star Fox, Metroid, Earthbound (you forgot to mention :lucas:), and (sort of) Zelda. We got a decent variety of characters, and of the remaining ones that didn't get newcomers (Mario, Yoshi, F-Zero, Ice Climber, Game & Watch), only Mario (and maybe F-Zero) would have had something to work with as far as characters go.

Meanwhile, Smash 4 mainly focused on Mario, Fire Emblem, and Kid Icarus (as well as Pokemon, though quite a few Pokemon were dropped). Plenty of other franchises could have gotten new characters, but didn't for whatever reason. Admittedly, the amount of new series (roughly double the amount of new franchises that Brawl got) helped to make up for it, but adding three Fire Emblem characters and a previously cut FE veteran on top of that in the span of a single game was a bit much.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
the main difference (for me, at least) is how the additions to returning franchises were spread out much better in Brawl.

In Brawl, we got Donkey Kong and Kirby (two franchises with a lot of potential for new characters), Pokemon and Fire Emblem (series where the characters change each installment), Star Fox, Metroid, Earthbound (you forgot to mention :lucas:), and (sort of) Zelda. We got a decent variety of characters, and of the remaining ones that didn't get newcomers (Mario, Yoshi, F-Zero, Ice Climber, Game & Watch), only Mario (and maybe F-Zero) would have had something to work with as far as characters go.

Meanwhile, Smash 4 mainly focused on Mario, Fire Emblem, and Kid Icarus (as well as Pokemon, though quite a few Pokemon were dropped). Plenty of other franchises could have gotten new characters, but didn't for whatever reason. Admittedly, the amount of new series (roughly double the amount of new franchises that Brawl got) helped to make up for it, but adding three Fire Emblem characters and a previously cut FE veteran on top of that in the span of a single game was a bit much.
I don't think it's quite accurate to say that Smash 4 focused on Mario and Kid Icarus when :4drmario: and :4darkpit: were last minute clone characters. It wasn't Fire Emblem focused either, at least not in the base game. One unique newcomer in :4robinf: and another last minute clone with :4lucina:. Prior to DLC I'd say the newcomer spread was fairly balanced if still lacking newcomers from some franchises many fans were hoping to see expanded on.

I'd say Brawl was too Pokemon focused given that we got 4 newcomers. Smash 4 became FE focused via DLC, and even then I'd still say it's not quite a fair comparison.

EDIT: And as I forgot to address Pokemon in SSB4; I find it odd to say Smash 4 was Pokemon focused when it dropped 3 characters and only added 1 newcomer via :4greninja:. And then only added :4mewtwo: as DLC. I'd say the Pokemon additions were fairly balanced as well.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think the reason less veteren Smash series got newcomers in Smash 4 is because there aren't as many must haves as there were in pre Brawl.

I mean you look at some of the series that got newcomers in Brawl and I can't think of many I'd add more to.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Ah speaking of Fire Emblem... what a crazy freaking ride that franchise has had in the last few years.

Most people thought three characters tops, and a decent amount of people were saying just Marth and the most recent lord (thinking there was some "pattern" established with Roy being "replaced" by Ike in Brawl, which was completely asinine might I add). I personally predicted four, which did turn out to be the number of reps in the base roster.

Marth is the mascot.

Ike is the most popular lord and, along with Marth, stars in two games.

Robin was chosen over Chrom for his unique mage abilities. Awakening also came out during Smash 4's development.

And Lucina was orginially a palette swap but became an easy clone.

Then, the two DLC characters just happened to fit in with Sakurai's arbitrary criteria.

Roy served as the most popular Melee veteran (since Mewtwo wasn't treated as such)

Corrin happened to align perfectly as DLC promotion for the upcoming Fates.

All this while, we went in shock at seeing even 4 chars, to 5, to 6, yet lately, I myself, as well as several others, have noted just how big Fire Emblem has gotten, and have come to accept that the number of FE characters, while being a tad bit over the top, does seem atleast somewhat warranted.

We are literally getting 3 new games in the near future just after a successful mobile venture, being FE Echoes, Warriors, and FE Switch.

I, for one, always saw potential in the series, and I'm not even the biggest fan of the series. Just think about it. FE games are relatively easier to develop than other Nintendo IP (due to the grid based formula being nailed down, and making a crapton of characters with a certain personality in a land full of anime artists), and are still lauded by the industry. Compare this with Metroid, a shooter/adventure series, something foreign to Nintendo, unpopular in Japan, and hard to innovate. Fire Emblem is like Pokemon in that sense. You have a brilliant formula that works.

Unfortunately, Nintendo never took note of this until the very last minute. With Awakening being poised as the series' final game, and no other 3DS games coming out during beginning of 2013, Nintendo actually advertised it for once, and that's all it took. Now, Nintendo acts like FE is the biggest thing ever, when it could have been big not only during the NES days (had Nintendo localized FE 1 instead of shirking it off as being too difficult for Western players, but also during after FE 7. I mean, did you see how much they push Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. They treated those game like random third party shovelware instead of a coveted first party IP).

Fire Emblem always had potential to be popular, and now, after 25 years, it has finally seen that. I do think that from here on out, Fire Emblem along with Animal Crossing, Zelda, Mario, and Pokemon will be a Nintendo staple.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Perhaps I just see the matter differently, but I find it interesting how 1 character, managed to push people over the edge when it came to Fire Emblem. :4robinf: and :4lucina: were fine as one was unique and the other was generally understood to be a last minute bonus (though there were still the usual people trashing on all the clones regardless.) :4feroy: was still fine for most as he was a highly requested, fan favorite Melee veteran. But then :4corrinf: became the final straw.

I do understand where most are coming from though, and while the FE hate spurred on by Smash 4 is unfortunate, it was inevitable despite other franchises doing similarly in past games.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pokemon got 4 newcomers in one go back in Brawl, but it wasn't an issue as:
-Pokemon is a much more popular franchise.

-The Pokemon chosen were extremely popular.
-Many only saw it as 2 newcomers due to :pt: accounting for 3 characters in one "slot".
-Many that did recognize that :pt: was 3 newcomers, found the concept novel and an important representation of the Pokemon games. (Which it was, though perhaps not executed all too well.)

-None of the additions were clones. All were unique characters.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whereas with FE in Smash 4:
-FE is a much smaller, more niche franchise. Even with it's recent resurgence/revitalization it didn't compare to the big 3, and it still had some more growing to do. That growth is of course more apparent now.

-:4lucina: and :4feroy: were both clones. (Roy's a semi-clone I know, but he is still attacked for being one regardless.)

-:4feroy: and :4corrinf: were both DLC, "stealing" the "spots" of other potential DLC characters.

-Even within the FE fan base, the divide from the newer titles left ire for :4robinf::4lucina::4corrinf: from long time fans.

The reason it doesn't bother me is because I see it as chance circumstances that happened at just the right time, that coincide with the growth FE experienced. While I agree that its reached the limit, I think reflecting FE's growth was fine.
:4robinf: - Unique newcomer. I expected at least one FE character if we got one at all. (I actually thought we were only going to get Marth :lol:)
:4lucina: - Bonus clone; took no development time/resources from the rest of the game's content. While she is a separate character that increases the FE headcount, I don't see it as egregious, because she's just that, a bonus.
:4feroy: - Highly requested veteran
:4corrinf: - Very popular character from the most recent entry, aligning with the dev's desire for a promotional character. Not necessarily important, but it also coincidentally but quite nicely coincided with the 25th anniversary of FE.

Now again, I do think the limit has been reached, and 6 is likely pushing it. And I do get that people were hoping that the DLC would have yielded the opportunity for other characters that fans have been clamoring for for a long while. That being said I still like all the FE characters we have and given the circumstances, think that what we got was fair.

Would the outrage have occurred if we had only gotten :4feroy: as DLC? Probably not. It all came down to :4corrinf:, and just like the circumstances for her inclusion aligned perfectly, I think the circumstances for the FE debacle aligned perfectly as well. Had we gotten more DLC I feel, the issue wouldn't have happened or would be present to a much lesser extent.

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
I know it's random but I just realized that this thread just became one year old last week and I found it irony that the thread finally become more active right before it's one year mark.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ignoring retro/dormant/finished franchises, Wii Fit, third parties, and series like Fire Emblem and Xenoblade with "Flavor of the Month" characters, I can't think of many potential newcomers from currently represented series that really stand out.

:4mario: - Captain Toad and Geno maybe? I can't think of many popular or noteworthy Mario characters left that could work in Smash.
:4dk: - K. Rool, Dixie, Cranky
:4link: - Impa maybe? I doubt we're getting more incarnations of the big three barring last-minute clone scenarios.
:4samus: - I'd say Ridley if it weren't for Sakurai's current stance on him. Some also might also bring up Sylux, but I'm not so sure about him either.
:4yoshi: - I suppose Kamek counts despite his presence in a Mario stage. Even then I'm not so sure about him.
:4kirby: - Bandanna Dee
:4fox: - Aside from bringing Wolf back, maybe Krystal if she ever appears in a future Star Fox game.
:4wario: - Ashley getting promoted maybe?
:4olimar: - I can't really think of anyone that isn't (semi-)clone/alt material.
:4villager: - Isabelle getting promoted maybe?

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Ah speaking of Fire Emblem... what a crazy freaking ride that franchise has had in the last few years.

Most people thought three characters tops, and a decent amount of people were saying just Marth and the most recent lord (thinking there was some "pattern" established with Roy being "replaced" by Ike in Brawl, which was completely asinine might I add). I personally predicted four, which did turn out to be the number of reps in the base roster.

Marth is the mascot.

Ike is the most popular lord and, along with Marth, stars in two games.

Robin was chosen over Chrom for his unique mage abilities. Awakening also came out during Smash 4's development.

And Lucina was orginially a palette swap but became an easy clone.

Then, the two DLC characters just happened to fit in with Sakurai's arbitrary criteria.

Roy served as the most popular Melee veteran (since Mewtwo wasn't treated as such)

Corrin happened to align perfectly as DLC promotion for the upcoming Fates.

All this while, we went in shock at seeing even 4 chars, to 5, to 6, yet lately, I myself, as well as several others, have noted just how big Fire Emblem has gotten, and have come to accept that the number of FE characters, while being a tad bit over the top, does seem atleast somewhat warranted.

We are literally getting 3 new games in the near future just after a successful mobile venture, being FE Echoes, Warriors, and FE Switch.

I, for one, always saw potential in the series, and I'm not even the biggest fan of the series. Just think about it. FE games are relatively easier to develop than other Nintendo IP (due to the grid based formula being nailed down, and making a crapton of characters with a certain personality in a land full of anime artists), and are still lauded by the industry. Compare this with Metroid, a shooter/adventure series, something foreign to Nintendo, unpopular in Japan, and hard to innovate. Fire Emblem is like Pokemon in that sense. You have a brilliant formula that works.

Unfortunately, Nintendo never took note of this until the very last minute. With Awakening being poised as the series' final game, and no other 3DS games coming out during beginning of 2013, Nintendo actually advertised it for once, and that's all it took. Now, Nintendo acts like FE is the biggest thing ever, when it could have been big not only during the NES days (had Nintendo localized FE 1 instead of shirking it off as being too difficult for Western players, but also during after FE 7. I mean, did you see how much they push Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. They treated those game like random third party shovelware instead of a coveted first party IP).

Fire Emblem always had potential to be popular, and now, after 25 years, it has finally seen that. I do think that from here on out, Fire Emblem along with Animal Crossing, Zelda, Mario, and Pokemon will be a Nintendo staple.
Wow, you posted something somewhat similar to what I was typing up moments before I finished. Kind of uncanny lol.

Just to add to the last bits of your post though, Nintendo did see FE's potential. In fact FE was a big deal in it's early days. It wasn't until the N64 era that it began to fall from grace due to several development issues that ended up with the series not seeing another release until the GBA. It skipped the N64 outright like Metroid.

What's more, the series was steadily losing traction in Japan with lukewarm sales of the GBA/GC games, followed by poor sales, and poor reception of the Wii and DS games. And while the audience grew some once introduced in the west, it wasn't enough to offset the losses they were taking on the FE franchise back in the home region.

That's why Awakening was set to be the last FE game. It was their final chance to try to breathe life back into the series or it would end up getting the ax. Thankfully Awakening did gangbusters and led to the revitalization and growth which we now see today.

FE used to be a heavy hitter for Nintendo. It had lots of popularity and growth from it's inception, but then took a slow, decline that they were struggling to rectify. Now that one of their old greats is doing so well after all that, of course they're gonna push it as much as they are to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Last edited:

The Black mage

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2492-4215-1228
I HAVE RETURNED?

Ok, so after a real long absence, I noticed there was a new thread for switch speculation... so what's the topic on right now in this thread?

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I HAVE RETURNED?

Ok, so after a real long absence, I noticed there was a new thread for switch speculation... so what's the topic on right now in this thread?
Potential newcomers from veteran series seems to be what the conversation is moving into.

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
Potential newcomers from veteran series seems to be what the conversation is moving into.
Predicting potential newcomers for veteran franchises has become harder since it's really hard to predict what would happens since there are several newcomers that we are rooting are strictly from new franchises that haven't make their appearance in Smash Bros yet, like Inkling, Rhythm Heaven rep, Takamaru, etc.

I know many people felt that Decidueye have a good shot at being playable character in Smash for Switch but I wouldn't set my expectation on that just yet. Anything could happens.

The Black mage

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2492-4215-1228
Well, at this point, I don't think there is much newcomers that COULD be featured. Most of the IP's smash has are covered, which leaves very few options...

A castlevania rep would be nice.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I do think people sleep on Isabelle in general. Animal Crossing is too massive to just say "Villager is all we need" and Isabelle may as well be one of Nintendo's major mascots nowadays with how much they promote her.

I could see her getting a Phoenix Wright type of moveset (with paperwork and whatnot) mixed with terraforming (by her enacting special Smash ordinances like building constructs on the battlefield), intermixed with more playful and inoffensive close combat.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I do think people sleep on Isabelle in general. Animal Crossing is too massive to just say "Villager is all we need" and Isabelle may as well be one of Nintendo's major mascots nowadays with how much they promote her.

I could see her getting a Phoenix Wright type of moveset (with paperwork and whatnot) mixed with terraforming (by her enacting special Smash ordinances like building constructs on the battlefield), intermixed with more playful and inoffensive close combat.
That actually sounds really awesome. I really like the idea of working Public Works Projects into it. Her gimmick could be collecting bells she knocks out of opponents to pay for and build additional platforms and obstacles on the stage. Aside from that, the PW comparisons sound great too. Make her another "fight by not fighting/accidental actions" type of character.

D

Deleted member

To be honest, I could say that [insert most noteworthy character(s) here] are all we need for a lot of franchises, even ones that have gotten more than "all they needed".

For example, one could argue the core Mario cast would've been just fine with only :4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser:, Zelda only really needed one incarnation each of the big three, Fire Emblem really didn't need anyone other than :4marth:, and, surprise surprise, I think Xenoblade is repped just fine with :4shulk: (as much as I want other party members from Xenoblade 1 and am cool with Elma). But this is really subjective, and Sakurai (or whoever's directing) may feel differently.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
:4samus: - Some also might also bring up Sylux, but I'm not so sure about him either.
Beyond unforseen circumstances like promotion, incoming relevance, etc., the character is simply unlikely. Not impossible, but it'll be a stretch without a proper title to establish some actual relevance for it.

Of course, I do believe this is just a matter of time, but that time hasn't come yet.

Basty

Smash Ace
Ignoring retro/dormant/finished franchises, Wii Fit, third parties, and series like Fire Emblem and Xenoblade with "Flavor of the Month" characters, I can't think of many potential newcomers from currently represented series that really stand out.

:4mario: - Captain Toad and Geno maybe? I can't think of many popular or noteworthy Mario characters left that could work in Smash.
:4dk: - K. Rool, Dixie, Cranky
:4link: - Impa maybe? I doubt we're getting more incarnations of the big three barring last-minute clone scenarios.
:4samus: - I'd say Ridley if it weren't for Sakurai's current stance on him. Some also might also bring up Sylux, but I'm not so sure about him either.
:4yoshi: - I suppose Kamek counts despite his presence in a Mario stage. Even then I'm not so sure about him.
:4kirby: - Bandanna Dee
:4fox: - Aside from bringing Wolf back, maybe Krystal if she ever appears in a future Star Fox game.
:4wario: - Ashley getting promoted maybe?
:4olimar: - I can't really think of anyone that isn't (semi-)clone/alt material.
:4villager: - Isabelle getting promoted maybe?
Hmm
:4mario:- Geno and Captaind Toad are potential, but I think Waluigi is a real chance this time around, I believe...
:4dk:- K.Rool is pretty likely, Dixie? maybe and I'd be real surprised with Cranky
:4link:- Skull Kid maybe? Everyone wanted him in early Smash 4 stages, Impa is probably more likely. All I really want is Lana though :(
:4samus:- Dark Samus, I don't think there's really other candidates but I really want Ridley
:4yoshi:- I'd be surprised with anyone really, but Kamek would be cool
:4kirby:- Bandanna Dee is probably most likely, but the Magolor dream is what I want, it won't happen :(
:4fox:- Krystal again probably the most likely to happen, but I want Peppy which probably won't happen
:4wario:- Ashley!!!!
:4olimar:- An original version of Alph or nothing more than likely
:4villager:- Isabelle, again, most likely but I'd love Tom Nook

Luminario

Smash Lord

I'd absolutely adore it if Isabelle was added as playable. She's clearly popular and they have a lot to work with in AC using stuff exactly like what you said. Topiary smash attacks, emotion based attacks (heart and musical note projectile tilts), party poppers, toy hammers, Resetti manhole traps, dash attack could be tripping with papers instead of a plant pot like Villager, sneezing, the list goes on~

Incineroar getting a decent spot in the new pokemon movie trailer

My tinfoil hat is on now. And nothing will get me to take it off. Except the reaility I will inevitably face tomorrow after im not tired anymore

Last edited:

The Black mage

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2492-4215-1228

My tinfoil hat is on now. And nothing will get me to take it off. Except the reaility I will inevitably face tomorrow after im not tired anymore
Well, considering Sun/Moon is the new hotness among Pokémon, I could conclude that Incineiroar might have a spot, if Greninja's popularity wanes over time.

Then again, we had Greninja's alternate form revealed to us, which was Ash-Greninja. It may just be what he needs to keep his spot.

I guess only time will tell if this is true.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Piplup in the trailer for some odd reason.

Sinnoh confirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom